PDA

View Full Version : A Walk with Tori

Dahveed
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Yeah i wanted a thread to talk about Tori Amos and her latest CD "Scarlet's Walk" cos i know we're a whole bunch of people who bought it and i'd like to share some opinions without going to a Tori website lol.

Soo, i have now listened to the whole album 3 or 4 times and i really like all the songs except maybe a couple of them that have no effect on me for the moment.

My fave songs have to be Taxi Ride, A Sorta Fairytale, Scarlet's Walk, Virginia, Crazy, and well okay it'd be easier to say those i like less! :D (the NY one, carbon and one i forgot the name as i don't like it lol).

Anyways i don't really know what are the official reviews of the album (didn't really bother to read the press). People might find the CD quite boring compared to the previous ones but i personally love it, it's a real journey from song 1 to song 18 and at first i thought the songs were alike but that's not the case after several listenings.

Well for the first time since i know Tori, i can listen to her whole album without problems so i guess i like her even more than before! And my next wish is to see her in concert, i hope maybe next year! :)

Also, i had to say Tori looks so beautiful these days, so judge by yourself!

http://www.hereinmyhead.com/bigpic/walk/epicpromo3.jpg

Your thoughts now.

i-girl
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:57 PM
lol, I read on line that Tori has a new album, so I went and got it. only, it turns out that I bought her new (maybe it's not so new:confused: ) cover album instead, by mistake. it cost a fortune, much more than a regular album, and I don't like it too much. Tori has such a uniqe style, it works on the songs she writes, but when she takes songs other people have written... it can be amazing ("tell me why I don't like mondays", "real man") or awfull (that bonnie and clyde song...), and mostly it's just not too good. it doesn't sound like her. I'm not sorry I got it, though. I want to have every Tori album out there:) . I'll probably buy the new one this week.

Josh
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Tori! :bounce:

She'll b in concert in Brussels next January but it's probably sold out already. pffff

Nina_rus
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:04 PM
I love the Bonnie and Clyde cover :o

Maajken
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Well the album was supposed to come out here October 25th and from that day on i visited every record shop i knew cause i just wanted to get my hands on it! And when i finally did...wow this really is a great album.

I like all the songs but my fave ones are A Sorta Fairytale, Carbon, the lovely Wampum Prayer ;), Pancake, Taxi Ride (wonderful lyrics :hearts: ), Another Girl's Paradise and Scarlet's Walk.

Lucky me will be seeing her in concert in January and i cant wait. Ive seen her once before which was soooo amazing and with all these fantastic new songs i cant imagine how good its going to be! :D

Every time she releases a new album i think "this is my favourite one!" (maybe apart from Strange Little Girls..) and this time its no different.

And Davy i agree with you, she just gets more and more beautiful :D (nice pic btw, i wonder where you got it from ;))

i-girl
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:09 PM
but it's not even a real song, Nina:) . but isn't "real man" beautiful? and "mondays"? they were worth buying the whole album.

Maajken
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Real Men and Rattlesnakes are my faves on that album :D

Dahveed
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:15 PM
I agree with you I-girl, i'm not a fan of the covers album, though i like Tori's covers. But i only like Strange Little Girls on that one. It's just cos it's not Tori, i like her music and her lyrics.

Yeah Maeike, i know you're going to see her so i want a full report, okay? :D I hope she will go to the UK, i should check and try to go there :D

I haven't seen the video of a Sorta Fairytale yet! :o :rolleyes:@French TV!

i-girl
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:18 PM
yes, Maeike:D . and "mondays". I was just feeling silly, when I meant to buy "scarlet's walk" and got this one instead. and I've also bought the new Counting crows album, so I'll have to wait till next week to buy "scarlet". there's only so much money I can spend on music every week. I have to eat, you know:) :p .

Dahveed
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:21 PM
You can starve for Tori! :rolleyes:

i-girl
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:26 PM
you're right, I should. I'm a bad Tori fan. *shamed*

lol, on top of everything, my stereo (sp) broke down. I'll have to get a new one, I don't think it's any use fixing this one. it'll cost the same. the universe does not want me to listen to Tori.

JonBcn
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Can you believe the album only comes out here tomorrow?! I dont know why it takes two more weeks for the album to cross the border, but they know bugger all about good music here anyway...

I'd downloaded most of the tracks by the first day of release anyway, and I love it. Dahveed mentioned most of the good songs, although I really like Carbon too. Other songs that oi wasnt keen on at first are really growing on me.

Got tickets for the gig in Munich in January! :bounce:

Dahveed
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Here's an idea of one of her concerts:

Tampa, Nov. 7

Set List:

Wampum Prayer
A Sorta Fairytale
In The Springtime of His Voodoo
Bliss
Crazy
Take To The Sky
Pancake
Caught A Lite Sneeze
Mrs. Jesus
Crucify
Wednesday
Improv/Cloud On My Tongue (solo)
Cool On Your Island (solo)
Cooling (solo)
Strange
Concertina
Sweet Sangria
Lust
Amber Waves
Don't Make Me Come To Vegas
Hotel
I Can't See New York
Spring Haze

Encore 1:
Virginia
Past The Mission

Encore 2:
Tear In Your Hand
Hey Jupiter (Dakota)

:eek: omg, doesnt it look great? The concert must have lasted 3 hours lol!

Holden
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:05 PM
hi Dahveed :-)

I've been listening to the album a bit more lately and some songs are getting through to me more so then when I first listened to it. I love:

Amber Waves, Sorta Fairytale, Wednesday, strangen carbon, I can't see NY, taxi Ride, another girl's paradise, Scarlet's Walk, Virginia and Gold Dust

I actually wouldn't mind if she limited the cd to those songs. Also, is anyone connecting less to the songs because this time it is so obvious they're about fictional characters? I liked it more when her lyrics where ambigious and could be (and probably partly were) autobiographical!

MLF
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:00 PM
The album has had very average reviews.

After a slow start I really love the album now. Favourite tracks so far are Wednesday, Another Girl's Paradise, Taxi Ride, Crazy, Pancake, A Sorta Fairytale, Carbon and Gold Dust. I think the album could lose a couple of tracks and instead have a full singles campaign with the left off tracks as great b sides.

Dahveed
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Hi guys,

Any idea what will be the next singles? And can you hear "A Sorta Fairytale" where you are?

I like "Dont let me come to Vegas" too, no one mentioned that one and i really like it.

MLF
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Taxi Ride is the rumoured second single. A good accessible choice for the singles market!

Dahveed
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:27 PM
That's what i thought actually, that'd make a good single.

Oh btw, another question for people who have the single. What are the other songs on it? Any live versions? Argh i should check somewhere but i'm lazy!

Maajken
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Its very hard in belgium to buy the singles, there are hardly any of tori :sad:

btw Taxi Ride would make a great second single! :D

MLF
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:33 PM
The A Sorta Fairytale single has a slightly different mix of the track on it plus one new song called Operation Peter Pan. You can get it quite cheaply from www.hmv.co.uk

Dahveed
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Where i live (ie: lil city in the middle of nowhere), it's impossible to find any singles :D It's already a good thing to find albums. So i always have to buy them when i'm away in big cities. Anyway i don't buy singles except for artists i really like and/or if there are some live versions or interesting B-sides.

Dahveed
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Thanks MirjanaLfan, i'll check it out!

Nina_rus
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:18 PM
My fave songs are : A sorta fairytale, Wednesday, Crazy, Another Girls Paradise...I like them all actually. I'm not too keen on Taxi Ride though but it'll probably grow on me

Dahveed
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:59 PM
I read a poll in hereinmyhead.com stating that people's fave song of this album was Carbon, and by far. Next on the list was Taxi Ride.

Now i listened to Carbon again, it's nice but i don't know why people like it so much compared to the other songs.

gorecki
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:23 AM
:wavey:

been listening to the album for the past week...

tracks that instantly grew on me: a sorta fairytale/taxi ride/gold dust/ mrs jesus

gorecki
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:24 AM
this will probably be another one that takes a little for me to 'digest' ala under the pink...

vw43
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:50 PM
oohh..can't believe I missed this thread.

The more I listen to the album the more I like it. There really are several different layers of guitar and strings. I really like most of the songs.

Can't wait to see her live..:wavey:

gorecki
Nov 18th, 2002, 12:47 AM
*bump*

:confused: no more additional inputs???

Dahveed
Nov 19th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Let's make a top 5 songs of the album!

1. Virginia
2. Taxi Ride
3. Scarlet's Walk
4. A Sorta Fairytale
5. Don't Make Me Come To Vegas

This is hard!

Maajken
Nov 19th, 2002, 04:28 PM
OMG http://www.jordysworld.de/emoticons/conf36.gif

1. scarlet's walk
2. another girl's paradise
3. a sorta fairytale
4. taxi ride
5. sweet sangria

vw43
Nov 19th, 2002, 05:01 PM
carbon
gold dust
wednesday
taxi ride
your cloud

Nina_rus
Nov 19th, 2002, 06:04 PM
here's mine

1. Crazy
2. Scarlets Walk
3. A Sorta Fairytale
4. Another Girls Paradise
5. Mrs Jesus

Barrie_Dude
Nov 19th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Soooooooo Disappointed! I wanted to walk with Tori Spelling!