PDA

View Full Version : Not Everyone Thinks the WTA Season is Too Long!

auntie janie
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Tennis Week: Do you feel the season is too long?

Anna Smashnova: No! You just have to decide which events you're going to play. If the player feels the season is too long, it's because you decided to play to many matches.

Claudio Pistolesi (Anna's coach and fiancÚ): There are three key ingredients to a player's season: your practice schedule, your rest and recovery and your tournament schedule. Like a master chef, the player and coach have to decide how much of these ingredients you want to put into the mix to create the proper balance and produce the best results. This balance or harmony is the key element to maintaining a successful career.

I agree with these two! Amelie Mauresmo is one player who schedules herself very intelligently. Some never do get the balance just right.

-Sonic-
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:12 PM
I totally agree... You sometimes see players injured and you think "Well duh..."

One chronic violator at this is Lindsay... she's so smart, but why play 3 or 4 weeks non stop getting to finals and winning titles, but then having a month or two off for injury? I just don't understand.

Williams Rulez
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Maybe she needs the momentum? Frankly I have no idea...

Meesh
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:27 PM
So true! I love the comparison to the master chef! Some players are still flipping burgers at the local fast food joint!

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:01 PM
The tennis season is only as long as you want it to be.
No one is forcing players to play every week.

oddkayla
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Personally I have come to believe the season is not too long. The fact that there are 60+ tournaments in a year means that with a good head on her shoulder, a player ad her handlers can pick and choose wisely.

And perhaps more important, all these players complaining about the long season would not be rushing to play exhibitions if the season was indeed to long. Most of these players, including Dokic willl be playing exhibitions so their excuses do not hold water.

leslie
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:08 PM
They all need to take a lesson from the sisters. It is not quantity that counts it is quality.

Bright Red
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Looking at it from the perspective of the player's schedule is just one part of it. It could also be argued that the sport itself suffers from having too many tournaments. If there's a tournament every week of the year, then you run the risk of diluting it's excitement; and fewer tournaments might result in more of a concentration of big names in the draw because less points would be so freely available for when and wherever the players choose to play.

Granted, there are other reasons for having more than a few tournaments. But like a player's schedule, the season itself needs to be given much thought, and a balance should be struck.

mn73
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Jennifer Capriati, the Williams sisters and Amelie Mauresmo are the only players who structure their season to suit them. The rest seem to overplay.

Jennifer structures her season around the Slams, and takes time off after each Slam, the Williams sisters play when they want to and feel they can give their best, and Mauresmo misses a lot of the hardcourt season to do what is best for her body. If Mauresmo had played the last two events of the year she was planning too, then we would be looking at the top 4 women of the year, so it shows they are doing something right.

auntie janie
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Well put, Mark!

One consideration is that lower-ranked players can and often do play more tournaments, since they tend to lose early each week. When their ranking rises quickly and they are making it through to the weekends more often, they need to scale back their schedule to compensate, or risk physical breakdown or chronic mental stress.

Some players who rise to the top 10 never learn this. After the punishing schedule Jelena played in 2001 pushed her up to the top Tier of players, I expected to see her scale back her schedule dranmatically in 2002, but she didn't.
But if she doesn't adjust it next year, I will be astonished.

Monica, though, is almost 29 and STILL can be talked into (by the WTA) playing 5-6 weeks straight. Then she is out for 4 months with bad feet! And then she blames the long season! I love Monica, but she's got brainlock on this subject! :(

tennischick
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:30 PM
what do most players do during their time off? :confused:

they play exhibition matches! :eek:

best argument i ever heard for keeping the schedule exactly as it is...;) ;)

Rubylips
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Meesh,I like that.lol

CanadianBoy21
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:54 PM
I think the 17 tournies required to achieve possible no ZEROS Points is perfect, becasue if there was more, quantity is awarded,. Less wouldn't be good either because players would still play 28 tournies so they can rack up the money. Plus the tour would only take the most points accumalated based on how many tournies is required.

Venus and Serena played too much this year, I think, but they showed they can do it. Hope next year they play 10 tournies to 12 tournies each.

rhz
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:58 PM
As a tennis fan, i wish the season should be a whole year long (LOL) yes it is a matter of how smart the players set their schedule, and they would be find!

matthias
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:37 PM
i agree 100%
noone need to play each week, each player can decide how many tournaments they want to play

treufreund
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:28 AM
I agree too. It would be silly to shorten the year even more. It's up to the players to schedule. Reducing the number of tournaments in not gonna help the sport.

auntie janie
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't mind if they pushed the Aus Open back 2-4 weeks to give a longer winter break, but that will never happen; they love their current, inconvenient dates.

I also wish Indian Wells & Miami were not whjere they are on the schedule, end-to-end like that. And isn't it weird to go from Aussie hardcourts, to indoors, to an intense USA hard-court burst, then suddenly it's USA green clay, then back to Europe for red clay? The schedule may be more too-goofy than it is too-long! :o

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:32 AM
The Tennis Season is TOO DAMN LONG. January to November is 11 months.

Let's look at the other sports.

Baseball: April to October
Basketball October to June
Football September to January
Hockey October to April

These players have at 'LEAST' 3 months off. Keep in mind that the above schedule INCLUDES the championship game. Which means their season is actually shorter than what I posted above. (I shouldn't have to spell this out).

Therefore, I agree with Venus' attitude toward the fall schedule. It's just TOOOO much.

auntie janie
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Players in those team sports can't take off 3 weeks here & 2 weeks there during the season as the tennis players can do. NO ONE PLAYS EVERY WEEK ALL THOSE MONTHS. Not even Jelena has done that!