PDA

View Full Version : R & B comebacks

BCP
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:54 PM
OK, in the next few months, we are going to get albums from three of the biggest selling artists of all time, all who have defined mainstream R & B through the 90's, and each one who has had to fight their own personal demons.

Who is going to have the most successful comeback out of Mariah, Whitney, or Toni Braxton, and why? Or has urban music moved on, and will it leave them all in its wake?

Williams Rulez
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:04 PM
I think Urban music has moved on and will probably leave Toni and Mariah behind... Whitney will probably be the most successful.

Judging by the 'success' of the respective singles of the 3 singles in the US, Whitney would have to be the most successful. Mariah's single even with the massive hype and afer being released for weeks to the radios, it has yet to reach the top 100 on the Billboard charts. It is only making an impact on the Adult Contempary charts, hence I can say that Mariah is not really impacting Urban music anymore. In fact, her record company has decided not to release the song as a single (the disc) in the US anymore.

Toni's new single is very urban, however it sounds like every other mediocre song out there, there is nothing that makes it special, without her signature vocals. Also, it is very different, very very different from anything she has done before, so her fans may just desert her... But if it is anything to go by, her music is rather up-to-date, maybe it is just bad production or choice of single. After listening to Whitney's new album, I think it is pretty good, more R&B than anything else. It has got good potential, and has some of her signature ballads in it. Though her single is not doing very well, I think that her it has potential and it a matter of time. It debutted at number 96 last week.

Unfortunately, Monica is not doing very well either... :(

Monica_Rules
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:28 PM
probably whitney

MLF
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:52 PM
I think they are all going to struggle.

Whitney's new single failed to crack the UK Top 10 which is surprising for her. Toni was never really consistently successful and Mariah is really treading water right now. I think with acts like Mary J Blige and Beverley Knight doing such great work right now it's going to be difficult for these three to appeal beyond their hardcore fanbase. They need to have a reinvention to widen their appeal - kinda like Madonna did.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:55 PM
if whitney still is coke addicted,,, i doubt she will have a bright future.

Williams Rulez
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:57 PM
I highly doubt she is... ;)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:04 PM
huh?

BCP
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:58 PM
It's strange you know when I heard that all three were coming back. At first, I thought that Mariah would kill them, and knock us dead with an incredibly catching mid-tempo release. Instead, she decided to launch the album with a MOR power ballad....yawn. I thought Whitney would start out with a boring ballad, and she started out with an ok mid-tempo number. i sort of always thought tha toni would be bound to fizzle out.

I also think that Janet had better watch herself with her next album. I thought that All for you was really disappointing. Does anyone know whether it sold well?

Williams Rulez
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Well, Janet it sold close to 3 million in the US.

I absolutely love Janet... :hearts:

I think that Janet's case was funny, her singles did real well, but then her album didn't do all that well. I think that she would do well if she picks her single right. Her albums are still pretty much classics... :hearts: