PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova closing in on top 100

Gowza
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:59 AM
maria sharapova has stopped playing junior tournaments for now and is seemingly trying to prove all the critics wrong that she is not another anna k or elena d who (not by my belief) are just pretty faces due to lack of singles titles.

maria has just made her 5th straight final in itf tournaments and posted her biggest win beating #39 ranked and formaly top 20 player amy frazier.

maria is slowly moving up the class of tournaments i.e. 10k to 25k and now pittsburgh 50k along with a WC showing at IW this year and one other WTA event in asia.

she has finally at the ripe old age of 15 moved inside the top 200 in the rankings and has therefore qualified for the qualifying rounds of the Oz Open. this week in pittsburgh she has posted numerous wins over top 200 and top 150 ranked players moving from the qualifying rounds of the tournament to the final.

to see her put in a performance like this proves that she is ready for lower tier wta tournaments at least and has made us believe that she is in with a strong chance to qualify for the main draw of the Oz Open in 2003.

what does everyone else think about maria? have you made your decision on how good she will be or not be? have you planned out her whole career? do you think she'll have to wait until 2004 to be a force? will she be another anna k?

mn73
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
I've followed Maria since her first pro event in Bradenton in 2001. There was a lot of hype then, but she lost in the first round. It seems though that the hype is justified. She has had a strong junior career, reaching two Slam finals and winning several titles and reaching the Top 10 and now she has, as you say, moved up the challenger fields from 10K, 25K to 50K - seemingly with no difference in results!?!

2003 will probably see her play a full WTA schedule if she manages to win rounds here and there and I think she has a lot of potential to be Top 20 by 2004 and Top 10 in early 2005.

Gowza - why aren't you a visitor at http://www.mariasharapova.org.uk !!!

Here's to Maria - and best of luck for the Pittsburgh final. Hope the girl isn't too exhausted after three three set matches in three days!?!

Jarrett
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Watch out Serena, your #1 position is in trouble. ;)

Monica_Rules
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:04 PM
When i saw her play the Wimbledon final i was quite shocked with her play.She hits the ball very hard and fights so hard in points.If she could add a little more variety to her game she may be one of the challengers to the williams.

She's obviously very talanted to get the results she has at 15!:eek:

mboyle
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Maria is awesome. She even has haters:hearts: and at age 15!!!! This bodes well for her future I believe!

Jarrett
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Monique V. had a lot haters at that age too. Do you still think that is a good omen? ;)

Gowza
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:52 PM
just visited http://www.mariasharapova.org.uk mark. great site. most up-to-date player site that i've seen.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Anyone who is hyped, ends up having haters. :p

Clumsythief
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:11 PM
I really think that Maria will be the most popular female athlete in 2-3 years. She's very talented and she's got the look. Even if I don't wanna compare her to Anna Kournikova, I really think that she will be an improved version of Annak. Maria's got what it takes!!

http://www1.sportal.it/multisports/wallpaper/wallpaper_maria_02.jpg

mn73
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Thanks Gowza - hope you'll be back then and will chat on our webboard too!

Thanks again :)

KingA
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:24 AM
I actually hope ppl won't be putting too much expectations on Maria too soon......... Otherwise there will be too much pressure on her, and ppl will be disappointed if she can't meet up to the expectations..........

kournikovafan13
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:57 AM
When Anna was 15, she had made the fourth round of the US Open, the fourth round of Miami, and the quarters of Berlin and had wins over Sanchez-Vicario, Coetzer, and Paulus. She was waaaayyy past the challenger scene, so I don't see why people think Sharapova will be "miles" better. :rolleyes:

Clumsythief
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:26 AM
Actually, I don't hate Anna. She was one of my favorite at the time, but I really think that Maria will have a better career on- court (but probably not off-court). Unlike Anna, Maria can't participate all the tournaments she would like too because of the age restrictions. It would be amazing if Maria can qualify for Aussie Open and even more amazing if she meets Anna Kournikova at the tournament.

Ruski
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Maria Rocks!! :kiss:

Dawn Marie
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Well the WTA tour is alot tougher and I think what Maria is doing is great. We can't compare what she is doing to what Anna did. They are two different people.

What sticks out in my mind that makes me think she'll be good is two things:

1.She is having the results. Just can't deny that.

2.She is a strong minded girl who seems to really have her priorities in check.

fhkung
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by kournikovafan13
When Anna was 15, she had made the fourth round of the US Open, the fourth round of Miami, and the quarters of Berlin and had wins over Sanchez-Vicario, Coetzer, and Paulus. She was waaaayyy past the challenger scene, so I don't see why people think Sharapova will be "miles" better. :rolleyes:
i think so too, Anna by 16 already beat Aranxa who wins Roland
Garros the next yr, and she beat Arantxa on CLAY in TIER I
Arantxa 5 yrs ago is probably as good as Monica Seles at 28
who gave Maria 0, and 1 victory in Indian Wells this yr,
and Anna reached GS SF at 16? even if the tour wasnt tough
then, reaching SF at 16 still is nothing to joke about,
and she beat Majoli on the way who just a few months ago
won a Slam..............that's how talented Anna was then,
i just dont think Maria will be "miles" better than Anna,
unless she pulls off a run like Dokic's in Australian Open,
or i will have to think that Anna is a bit better.........

BK4ever
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:30 PM
its like comparing apples to oranges...its a different game...

and to the person who mentioned the age eligibilty, wasnt anna under the same restrictions?

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:43 PM
the game now is alot tougher than back in 1996.

the strength in depth of all tour players in top 100 or so has improved quite a bit.

Clumsythief
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:52 PM
I was the one that mentioned the age eligibility. Yes Anna had the age restrictions, but it has changed a lot since then. Now, the age restriction is a lot more strict. I don't know what are the exact restriction biu as far as I know, Maria can only play a couple of Wta tournaments last year. That's one of the reason why it is a lot tougher for young players.

Gowza
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:53 PM
TBE, i have to agree. the tour is a lot tougher and has more depth. sure the juniors may also be tougher but seniors and juniors basically have the same ratio to each other, they are getting tougher together. the problem is that juniors does not have the depth and also that players can succeed without total power whereas in seniors at least for now power is the thing needed to get them through.

i think it is harder to play seniors because there is more depth and the players are more consistent which means the juniors have to adapt to this and with the tour constantly improing it takes time for them to catch up with the top players.

Jakeev
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:46 AM
Maria is coming folks just get used to it. She played very tough in Pittsburgh, winning seven matches before losing the final.

Be critical all you want. This girl can actually play the game of tennis. Frankly, I think she is one of the smartest players out there. She exhudes tennis.

MARIA IS COMING