PDA

View Full Version : Has Serena Psyched Out The Entire Tour?

BigTennisFan
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Jelena should have won that first set, but then it just seemed that in the second set she felt that there was no reason to even try because Serena would be too good.

And the announcers kept saying that the last time Serena played Dokic she won 7-6, 6-0. And of course let's not overlook the fact that the netcord was VERY kind to both Venus and Serena.

If this keeps up, I will suspect that it's the result of the awesome mind control powers of a certain individual who shall remain nameless.:o

Well, I'll be at the Staples tomorrow rooting for my girls, but I do hope that Kim and Jenn give them good hard matches.
Of course I don't want Kim and Jenn to get so carried away that they actually win. ;)

CanadianBoy21
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:42 AM
make sure to cheer LOUD for the sisters!! :)

Serena has psyched out everybody.

Jelena is a loser, not only because she lost, but because shhe did noticably give up, and she definitely didn't try for the last point, she should take some lesosns from Monica.

~RedRose~
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Jelena isnt a loser .... geez ur an idiot ... she had a pestering injury that the comentators noticed, and Jelena said after the match, and Jelena played well in some games in that set, except Serena was just too good. Jelena didnt give up, she was just outplayed.

LeonHart
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:47 AM
BigTennisFan...yeah ESPN kept announcing the first time they played in the US OPEN 2000 it was 7-6 6-0, how annoying! The netcord on the other hand....somehow it always goes the william's way. Hrm...;)

harloo
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:16 AM
I think Serena has somewhat pshyced the tour out. In that first set Jelena could of taken it, but Serena finds a way to make her opponents feel alot of pressure when she is down. I think Serena goes into a different mode when she is down, it kinda reminds me of Seles in her domination period.

IMHO, Jelena has not learned how to be a fighter. She's not a loser at all. She just needs to learn that mentally she should be ready if she is going to beat Serena. She did have some good wins over top 10 players, but she is lacking in the mental department at times and it showed tonight. I do hope with her trying to get her life on track without Damir that she rests and get some better confidence.

Experimentee
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Jelenas tanked a lot of matches to top players this year, and this certainly isnt the first time shes given up like that. Funny how her injury only started to appear after she'd lost the first set too....

tennisIlove09
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:19 AM
the last time Serena/Dokic played, Serena won 63 64; at the Princess Cup in 2000!

2000-08-28 U.S. Open Hardcourt R16 Serena Williams (USA) 7-6(7) 6-0
2000-10-02 Tokyo Hardcourt QF Serena Williams (USA) 6-3 6-4

I don't think Serena has psyched everyone out. She sometimes starts slow...The recent final, where she beat Kim 26 63 63 is a good example

BasicTennis
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Serena's on a "zone" right now.;)

Rae Q.
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Serena has psyched them out by being so consistent this year. Jelena could not capitalise on her lead and faded away. You just can't do that against the #1 player in the world.

baleineau
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:38 PM
it's understandable that jelena lost the second set so quickly. when you fight hard in the first set and come up short, it's natural to have a let down, and before you know, against someone like serena, you're staring a bagel in the face.

there's a difference between tanking and feeling despondent/helpless.

leslie
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:03 PM
I am a big fan of V/S but I felt like kicking Dokic's butt she just gave up on that 2nd set, she did not care, she did not fight at least I was looking for another match like Vee and Monica even though I knew in any event Serena would have beat dokic even if dokic had faught, but she just gave up. These tennis players have no confidence whatsoever when they play the W/S, which is great for me but at least I would like to see them try harder. So do not blame the W/S when they meet up in every final it is not their fault, blame the other loser. GO VENUS, GO SERENA TAKE THE MONEY AND THE TITLES HOME.

kiwifan
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Williams fans, how about we wait until after the Aussie Open for them (the psyched out opponents) to "try harder" let's let the sisters make the "Sister Grand Slam" happen first.

Then we can be more open to letting Monica win another Grand Slam and letting the others actually make the finals of a Grand Slam or two (not win, come on, then the haters will rise up again).

I'm headed to the Staples Center in less than 3 hours!!!

I'll try not to yell too much.

Bright Red
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:05 PM
There's definitely something about Serena. Whether or not the other players or their fans admit it, Serena has done quite a mind job on the rest of the tour. She's so improved. A little over a year ago, Serena lacked only the mental strength to compete well, and that explained many of her losses (she never looked rusty, for example). Now, she is extremely confident out of the gate, and she still rarely shows any signs of rust.

She's nearly too good now. The few moments in her match where the opponent seems to have a chance are when Serena is still warming up; but once she reaches even the bottom range of her performance, her opponent can pretty much pack it up and head to the locker room.

BigTennisFan
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by baleineau
it's understandable that jelena lost the second set so quickly. when you fight hard in the first set and come up short, it's natural to have a let down, and before you know, against someone like serena, you're staring a bagel in the face.

there's a difference between tanking and feeling despondent/helpless.

You're correct baleineau. The BIIIIIIIIGGGGGGG problem however is that once you lose the first set, you can't afford to be despondent because if you lose the second set, that's all she wrote.:D

The person who wins the first set, however, has some margin for a letdown.
Venus in particular used to do that. She'd win the first set then her head would leave the building until the third set.

Cappy on the other hand apparently likes (at least she used to) to spot the opponent a set. :D

But the psych out comes, as someone else said, when you play your best and Serena is not even at 75% and you STILL lose the set. It's got to be tough for the rest of the tour.

Same thing happened with Venus/Monica the other night. Monica played very well and was up 4-1, but Venus has the goods to come back even against a player of Monica's caliber.

Monica did the same against Lindsay, but she doesn't do it nowadays as consistently as Venus and Serena seem to be able to do it.:)