PDA

View Full Version : Serena bagelled Dokic 76-60!

"Topaz"
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Way to go Serena!

Good 1st set, Jelena!

Venus Forever
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:20 AM
GREAT JOB SERENA!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BasicTennis
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:34 AM
well done!!!!!

go for it!!!!!

DD
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Serena

i know you will beat cappy but please dont give me heartattack before you do so.

Dawn Marie
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Great job and better luck next time Jelena:)

"Topaz"
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Tomorrow, we'll be headed to a tennis feast with

Jen - Serena

AND

Kim - Venus.

What a year it's been for the Williamses! Fan or non-fan, we've got to congratulate them.

vertiklychalengd
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:57 AM
same scoreline as US open 4th round scoreline.... year 2001 or 2000....

kiwifan
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Yep. Looks like I'm headed to the Staples Center tomorrow too.

My girls live. Gotta love it.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The only thing that would make this better is if it was Anna K.:drool: :kiss: :hearts: or Chucky:cool: :cool: :cool: instead of Kim C.:p :p :p

Maybe next year...:cool: :cool: :cool:

england_rules
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Dokic always gives up when she's losing!!!!! :rolleyes:

LeonHart
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:54 AM
She was close to keeping her service games in the first 2 points of the 2nd set. I think after she lost em, she gave up and tanked. :(

SM
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Dokic didnt give up. Serena just took time to get momentum, and then she hit second gear.

Perhaps if Jelena took her break chance at 4-3...one point seperated her from winning the 1st set :(...then perhaps she wouldnt have been bagelled because tennis is just so mental!

Good match Serena. She cant afford to play like she did in the first set from now on if she wants to win the title.

tennischick
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:45 PM
both are true. Dokic gave up (typical :rolleyes: ) and Serena showed her what a true champion looks like.

you go girl!!! :bounce:

SM
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Rubbish t.c ! Anyone who even qualified for this event is a 'champion' IMO

Monica_Rules
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Jelen gave a good fight it seems but Serena must have been too strong in the second set!

King Aaron
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Same as 2000, vertiklychalengd

Great first set Jelena :D

She didn't give up. Serena just found her rythm and Jelena was too tired. :(

venusfan
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Well.. I saw the match and it was all mental.. I'm not sure how Serena won that 1st set with her playing so awful.. but that's what's good about the Williams sisters... They hit errors after errors but they always seems to win the big points when it count..

And Jelena did tank in the 2nd set.

tennischick
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:44 PM
yes S.M., they are indeed all champions. but Sure Winner is the championest champion of them all...say it loud...;) ;)

heninrules
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:55 PM
i heard that on british eurosport that jelena was maybe injured in the second set and thats why serena bagelled her

bwguy
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:10 PM
I still think Serena would have defeated her anyway, but Dokic was indeed dealing with a slight injury:

From the LA Times:

There almost was no singles match at night. The appearance of Dokic was far from certain because of an injured right ankle, which she suffered in practice during the week before the season-ending tournament. Whether she would play or not was in doubt a couple of hours before the match, and organizers were working on a backup plan; for example, an exhibition between Williams and alternate Alexandra Stevenson.

Dokic tested the ankle, then went ahead and played. She knew she could not sustain long rallies against Williams, so Dokic went for the quick winner. The tactic paid off early as Dokic led, 4-1, before Williams quit spraying the ball long and wide. Dokic came within two points of winning the first set, at 30-30 on Williams' serve in the 12th game. But Williams won the next two points to send it to a tiebreaker.

"It was a little bit hard to move and I wasn't even sure I was going to play," said Dokic, who reported that she had stretched ligaments in her ankle. "I was hurting a little bit more in the second set. If I was limping, I wouldn't be on the court.

"I was good enough to play a set or two, but against Serena you have to be 100%, which I wasn't."

Bright Red
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Dokic has skills, for sure. Her first set performance was very good. Serena, however, seemed to be warming up and still in shot calibrating mode.

I saw no signs of Jelena's injury during the 1st set. I did see her looking at her ankle the next set, but I seriously doubt injury had anything to do with it. Serena's game came together, and the usual outcome occurred: she won.

Freefall
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Anyone who saw the match, knows Jelena tanked the second set. The thread should read "Jelena Bagels Jelena".

The 1st set WAS the match & Serena pulled it out in the TB.

GREAT WORK SERENA!!! :)

bwguy
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:28 PM
OK

MarcusRock
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:09 PM
I saw the match and think Dokic tanked it too. She did the same thing against Rubin earlier this year and Chanda said she thought Jelena tanked then too.

kiwifan
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by joy
She stayed with Serena in the first and i have to say is the one girl on the tour that can give Rena a run in a 'Battle of the Booty & Boobies:) :drool: :drool: :drool:

Dokic has a pretty but very mean face ("vee haf vays uf making you talk").

But, the bod was talkin' to me.

She should give the cat suit a try.:p

Maybe she'll gain a fan (a Kiwifan).

Well I've had my McDonald's (first time in 2 years, it was pretty good for breakfast food) and I'm off to Staples in 1 hour.

Think positive thoughts for the Sisters!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I'm thinking of kickin' the Afrolistics this afternoon with my dashiki (can't spell it, but I can wear it).