PDA

View Full Version : I used to think women's tennis had a bright future. Now I'm not so sure.

the cat
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:45 AM
I used to think women's tennis had a bright future. Now I'm not so sure. Why? Because the WTA's television coverage is atrocious to say the least! :mad: The players constantly suffer from injuries. There is no recognizable sponsor for the WTA Tour. While the ATP Tour has great corporate sponsorship. But how can this be? Women's tennis has the personalities and the star power. Right? A few years ago, women's tennis really seemed to be coming into a boom. Or is it boon? :confused: What happened?

Is the American women's seemingly endless domination of the grand slams bad for womens' tennis?

The Williams sisters are great! And they are carrying women's tennis on their shoulders! But I think their opponents have given up before they even play them! And that's bad for competition!

And having Hingis, Davenport, Seles and Capriati all on the downside of their careers while the Williams sisters are at their peak, is very unfortunate, to say the least.

Overall, I still prefer womens' tennis to men's tennis. But not by much. What went wrong for women's tennis? All opinions would be encouraged.

wongqks
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:51 AM
the cat,
I don't think you are right in saying people in top 10 given up , women tennis has always been dominated by a few players, never is it as wide open as ATP.

So if you enjoy women tennis before, simply saying Williams sister dominated the game is bad for the game is not right.

the cat
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:58 AM
Wongqks, I'm not saying the Williams sisters domination is bad for women's tennis. They are saving women's tennis from virtual oblivion! :eek: But what I don't like is the opponents of the Williams sisters such as Jelena Dokic, feeling like they have no chance to beat them! :eek: I would like to see some better competetion for the Williams sisters in the future! :) But I wouldn't count on it!

wongqks
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:03 AM
well Jelena did push Serena to 7-6 tie break in first set. although i think Serena will psuh her over now, but still at least she fight.

And it is not fair to say that the players are not trying, I mean you simply cannot jump on conclusion after a year that Serna will win all the slams next year, we will have to wait to see whether other players will make a move :)

GrandSlammed
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:14 AM
opponents of the Williams sisters such as Jelena Dokic, feeling like they have no chance to beat them!

7/6, 5/0, triple match point - Serena :)

salima
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Interesting and well thought thoughts Cat, but let`s turn it into something positive. " The old American girls" will probably never reach Williams standard, but others will. Time after time we see that, in all sports. A seemingly unbeatable champion is challenged and in the end beaten. We can also turn the Williams domination into something positive. Just lean back and enjoy their play! Probably, while we are prepared to do just that, someone unexpeced is coming and turn the truth, or whatever you call it in american.
The men is fighting for attention, let them do that, it makes them better.

Dawn Marie
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:47 AM
I say players who give up are not the entire WTA tour. I think to say "opponents of the Williams sisters" is wrong. Venus and Serena's opponents don't make the entire WTA tour.

When Hingis was dominating and players(many girls with last name ova) would go out on the court and piss their panties people didn't say things like this? Oh well, players will have confidence while playing V@S and I will enjoy seeing the rivalries. Those who give up oh well. Someone will come along who won't and leave the player who did in the dust.:)

If a player can't hang then I'll find someone who will.:) So many players to choose from. Don't worry cat V@S won't win everything nor always dominate.:)

FEARLESS WTA tennis rulez

Hardiansf
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Serena and Venus domination just like Navratilova - Evert did.
There will be "Graf" - "Sabatini" generation (maybe its Clijsters - Henin, or Mauresmo-Hantuchova). And then... there will be become the great Seles (maybe one of the Russian girls, such as Kuznetsova, Zvonareva, or Bovina).

Dawn Marie
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:55 AM
The tour didn't die when Graf,Seles,Everet,Navratilova dominated. THEY RAISED THE BAR.. just like V@S.

the cat
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Good point, Dawn! :D But are the Williams sisters raising the bar too high?

Volcana
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:00 PM
If the next 20 players raised the level of their game to Serena's, and the marketing and promotion stayed the same, you'd have the same result.

Meesh
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Very true Volcano, and it looks like the WTA hired another ex-pimp from the big shoe company (Dave Larson). This time the former Nike executive is going to handle Marketing and Communication. I thought when Wolfe took over as CEO (ex-pimp #1 from Nike) that we would see huge changes in the way womans tennis was promoted etc.

Here is the excert on his new job which started this week:
The newly created position Larson will assume was designed to strategically build the WTA brand at the consumer level, support the commercial business with corporate sponsors and to continue building on the current communications momentum.

---> LOL at the current communications momentum!
I wonder if that means having more young girls mount farm animals naked to promote the sport!

harloo
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:57 PM
I agree Volcana. I think this is a promotion problem, and some people should be fired. It makes no sense for the seats at the Staples center to be empty like this.

However, what I'm even more suprised at is the level of the non-chalant attitudes from the organizers. If they see that the seats aren't filling up then they should at least go to the radio and announce $15 for some sessions. They should at least try to get the stadiums full.

Volcana
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:25 PM
harloo - Very good point. They knew from the get-go that they weren't filling the seats. And whatever they tried to do about that (if anything) obviuosly didn't work.

Dawn Marie
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:02 PM
the cat .. HECK NO!:)

TO raise the bar imho means that the WTA tour will be even better! Look how much Seles,Graf,Everet,BJK,Martina N and baby Marty gave us? Alot of excitement and tennis talk. Alot of good tennis.:)

the cat
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Okay Dawn! Okay! You don't have to sledgehammer me! :sad:

Great point harloo! Thousands of tickets could have been sold at bargain rates if the WTA would have agreed. They wasted alot of money on this tournament. Women's tennis should be embarrassed that so few people are attending their showcase event! :o

Monica_Rules
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:12 PM
The new breed of players will just have to take the williams sisters on.