PDA

View Full Version : Anna Kournikova's Explanation for Not Having Won a Title

auntie janie
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:55 PM
<Her elusive first WTA victory:

"It's definitely something that I want to do. I've been in the finals a few times, I've been in the semifinals a million times. I've been very close and sometimes just been unlucky or I've played great players or I was tired or I was got injured or something. I'm sure it will come together." >

LOL

http://www.canoe.ca/WinnipegSports/ws.ws-11-09-0071.html

CanadianBoy21
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:56 PM
lol

Nov 9th, 2002, 11:57 PM
4 excuses! I should have hired Anna when I was in high school to make up excuses for me not doing my homework!

Oasiatic
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Agrees with untitled2284. How amusing Anna! :D

CanadianBoy21
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:01 AM
1. unlucky
2. great players
3. tired
4. injured
5. something

things she forgot to add:
me got no game
me got attitude

SM
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:01 AM
ofcourse she shuld have excuses when shes been so close so many times....that is NO fluke and there is definately some factors/reasons to her losses! i keep wondering what her career would be like had she beat Venus at the lipton

Bright Red
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:06 AM
They showed a pretty interesting half-hour show on ESPN about Anna and her rise to fame. One of the key points made on the show is that tennis athletes are more entertainers than they would like to admit. From that perspective, I guess Anna could reasonably ask who cares that she doesn't have a title.

auntie janie
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:06 AM
She has only been in four finals, so with five excuses, she is already prepared for next time! ;)

SM, it was just not meant to be.

the cat
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:46 AM
Good thread Janie! :rolleyes: Maybe Anna should say she just can't win a tournament and give up! :rolleyes:

On a side note, I'm surprised that Anna weighs 130 pounds. I would have thought she weighed about 120 pounds. I would advise her to lose a few pounds a get quicker. She doesn't appear to have the quickness she once had.

My main wish for Anna is to have an injury free 2003!

Udachi Anna! :bounce:

Yak
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Another fucking thread to bash Anna! I'm so tired!

Shane54
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Some damn funny and silly excuses! Now do you see how foolish some posters here look when explaining how Jennifer won her grandslams? :rolleyes:

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Oh give it break, you guys. Sheeeesh! Her failure to get a title so far is just one of those freakish combinations of circumstances that sometimes happens. Her continuing failure in very recent times - when she's come close in lower level events, such as Shanghai this year - is probably as much a result of the unrelenting pressure being put on her about this as anything else. She has a monkey on her back now.

I'd like to see how any of you would deal with such media pressure as confronts Anna every day. You'd probably disintegrate mentally.

Just enjoy the tennis of one of the most exciting, if erratic, players on the tour, and stop carping about her.

Go Anna in 2003! :D

endiadjendiadj
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:09 AM
she has played very good players in the finals. hasn't she? these very good players can wear a player down mentally and physically. that's what great players do, right? she has been injured a lot! right? she has been very unlucky, then. so what is everyone's problem? :rolleyes:

auntie janie
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:23 AM
There is no problem, endiadjendiadj. This is a quote from Anna herself answering the question so many have posed for the past 4 years.

Everyone is free to view the quote as they wish.

Pamela Shriver
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:32 AM
She forgot to add:

Need Pam Shriver as coach...

juggler
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:39 AM
WTF do u expect her to say as reasons for not having won a title?!?!?

and she is not just talking about finals, it is semi finals as well.

i fail to see what is funny about it?

Nov 10th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by SM
ofcourse she shuld have excuses when shes been so close so many times....that is NO fluke and there is definately some factors/reasons to her losses! i keep wondering what her career would be like had she beat Venus at the lipton

I wasn't bagging Anna, I just found her response amusing. She has come close quite a few times

england_rules
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:02 AM
she will win one someday somewhere!

callado
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:23 AM
Thanks Ana. Almost every time you open your mouth you give me something to laugh about...

tennischick
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:34 AM
hey Cat:
there's nothing wrong with Anna's weight. she is very fit and muscled and muscle weighs more than fat in case you didn't know. Anna doesn't need to lose a pound. her weight is not the problem IMHO.

SerialKiller#69
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:44 AM
what's funny about it? I honestly want to know. what exactly were untrue with what she said?:rolleyes:

Dawn Marie
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:29 AM
She forgot to say "my priorities are not 100% with tennis" "that now people expect me to win and I get nervous" "it's mental"

Nov 10th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by tennischick
hey Cat:
there's nothing wrong with Anna's weight. she is very fit and muscled and muscle weighs more than fat in case you didn't know. Anna doesn't need to lose a pound. her weight is not the problem IMHO.

I totally agree. If Anna has a weight problem, it's that there's not enough of it (she needs more muscle)

vertiklychalengd
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:00 AM
we're not bashing her, we're just "analysing" wat she's said

Lola
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:08 AM
:D

CC
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Superhero
1. unlucky
2. great players
3. tired
4. injured
5. something

things she forgot to add:
me got no game
me got attitude
I think those two would come under "or something." She pretty much covered every possible excuse with that term. Smart girl.:)

Messenger
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:41 AM
There's nothing wrong with bashing Anna! Her excuses are funny, but I think most people will agree that she definately can win a title.

ajayares
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Oh my, Isn't it so amusing that something that Anna is quoted as saying draws a whole new thread, that's a real surprise isn't it?? :rolleyes:

However my question is?? Why wasn't this thread created over 10 weeks ago (just prior to US open (25th August to be exact)
I am sure you would have spotted this quote Janie.. :rolleyes:

On her lack of a tour title: "I've been so close so many times. I've been in semifinals 20 times. First it was because I was too inexperienced. Sometimes I was unlucky, or tired, or played bad. There are all sorts of reasons why I haven't won."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/open/2002-08-25-kournikova_x.htm

Funny thing though I don't remember seeing a thread discussing the quote?? Why is that??

Well the only reason isn't, is that the tennis season is coming to a close and Anna hasn't been the attention of many topics in recent weeks, so that must be the reason, I can't think of anythign else, then again.. (oh better not say what really want too)

Oh as for MR Superhero, you are my hero :rolleyes:
Gee I wonder how long it took you to come up with those thought's?? me got no game, me got attitude

Well as for the 1st pt, alot of thought went into that, No game hey??, gee that's the sort of comment you hear from a fool who hasn't got a clue about anything, not alone tennis..

As for me got Attitude crap, yeah and if she did, she would be miles behind two certian players on the circuit who think they are gods gift.. Oh funny they wouldn't be your two favorite players, would they.. :rolleyes:

Oh why is it so funny that she has reasons why she has been close to winning a title but hasn't??
Is anyone going to answer???

I am sure other players have reasons why they have lost finals or semis (since Anna was referring to semis as well as finals) But some people just seem to want to read a quote and interpret it how they want too.. nothing new really with the IQ of some of the people who post on this board and in this thread inparticular..

I am sure in the next 2 mths some people will be able to dig up some old quotes from Anna, just to make sure she there are still some threads to bash her...

Pathetic

Uxobi
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:19 AM
:rolleyes: @ Anna!

Anna is a very :confused: tennis professional.

Messenger
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:22 AM
With the exception of Superhero, none of the posters here were being mean to her. This thread only turned nasty when the Anna fans started over-reacting.

And I'm sure janie did not post the quote to bash Anna, she thought it was funny that's all.

irma
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:22 AM
I don't see what's weird about her quote either except that she should realise that it's mental for 99% too!

Messenger
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Pamela Shriver
She forgot to add:

Who's Anna's coach at the moment?

KingA
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Give Anna a break... We all know how much she can really do on the tour..... ;)

ajayares
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Caesar's Messenger
With the exception of Superhero, none of the posters here were being mean to her. This thread only turned nasty when the Anna fans started over-reacting.

And I'm sure janie did not post the quote to bash Anna, she thought it was funny that's all.

Of course it is all anna's fans fault :rolleyes:
Just where is the point to the thread?? and where is what she said so funny??
I could go thru articles and find 100's of articles where a player has lost a match or has an excuse or reasons for why she lost.. But noone seems to start a thread about them, have they??

As for Janie not posting the quote to bash Anna, then why post it in the first place? there must have been a reason for it?? the simple reason is, that she knew others would be all over it like flies to shit are..

BTW you don't know janie to well either...

Messenger
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Well no, not all Anna fans reacted so negatively to this. Some didn't take it too seriously, and said that Anna is likely to win a tournament in the near future.

I think it's funny that she managed to put so many excuses in the one sentence! :)

No, I don't know janie. Who is she?

Dawn Marie
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Boy we sure do get sensitive don't we. When it comes to our favorites. Seles fans...Williams fans... Hingis fans.. Anna fans..

I gotta say though, Ajayares you really love your Anna and defend her 24/7. You are a true fan.. I like that.

Ajayares RULES!:) Keep on believing in Anna.

harloo
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:39 AM
LMAO at Anna's excuses!

She also forgot to mention these:

1. Too busy doing videos with Enrique
2. Too busy going to award shows.
3. Too busy playing with "boy toys".
4. Too busy selling fake ass workout tapes.
5. Hell, I'm Anna Kournikova( the most downloaded woman on the net) why do I need a title? They still will love me.

Poor anna, get a title already! Do it for your fans, the tour, the detractors, whoever motivates you the most. Go play a challenger or something and win it so the commentators can Shut up about you. I'm sick of hearing about how one of the most popular women in the game is titleless.

Maybe if she changed her attitude towards the game then her results will improve. But Anna better get her sh@! together before it's too late. You have all these Russian "big babes" coming out and they will surpass her if she isn't careful. Well, too late for that since a couple of them have won titles. She needs to realize that as the time moves on, it will be harder for her to get a title. You only have so long for playing around.

ajayares
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by harloo
Poor anna, get a title already! Do it for your fans, the tour, the detractors, whoever motivates you the most. Go play a challenger or something and win it so the commentators can Shut up about you. I'm sick of hearing about how one of the most popular women in the game is titleless.

She has already won a fucking challenger event, so what is the pt of that, they don't fucking count as a WTA title..

Maybe if she changed her attitude towards the game then her results will improve.

Oh, this is the typical shit you get from someone who know Jac shit about her, have you read interviews from Anna in the last year or 2??
Then you would know how her attitude is now.. It has improved 10 fold in the last 12mths

Originally posted by Dawn Marie

I gotta say though, Ajayares you really love your Anna and defend her 24/7. You are a true fan.. I like that.

Ajayares RULES! Keep on believing in Anna

Umm WTF has what I have said above got to do with believing in Anna??

BTW I don't need your compliments either and i couldn't care less if you like it or not..

Dawn Marie
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:59 AM
LMAO@Ajayares. I like your spunk it is what I feel that matters to me. I don't mind if you don't care what I feel. As long as I care that is all that matters.

I like your style. Keep on keepin on Ajayares. Some people stop believing in their favorites and it is nice to see that you always believe in your Anna.

I miss that Hingie, that kid is a true fan as well.:)

harloo
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Sorry, Ajayares but your jibberish won't persuade me. ROTFLMAO. Anna needs to cut it out, and get on track before it's too late. Bovina and all the rest of the russian girls are getting it together, no exuses for anna. You have a right to your opinion though.

:kiss:

Also, maybe she needs to win do like Agassi and go play challengers and get some wins and confidence. To be honest, she just needs to win one because the more excuses she makes, the more people won't take her seriously. It's sad, but there will be no way for her to avoid this dilemma.:) ;)

ajayares
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by harloo
Sorry, Ajayares but your jibberish won't persuade me. ROTFLMAO. Anna needs to cut it out, and get on track before it's too late. Bovina and all the rest of the russian girls are getting it together, no exuses for anna. You have a right to your opinion though.

:kiss:

Also, maybe she needs to win do like Agassi and go play challengers and get some wins and confidence. To be honest, she just needs to win one because the more excuses she makes, the more people won't take her seriously. It's sad, but there will be no way for her to avoid this dilemma.:) ;)

Gee you make a habit of talking out of your arse don't you, perhaps if you actually made some sense, some people may be able to understand your pt, if there is one??

As for me talking jibberish, is that a joke?? there is only one person around here who doesn't have a clue what they are saying..
Anna's got to play challengers now?? Give up, the more you type, the bigger fool you look..

Messenger
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:31 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38256000/jpg/_38256223_kournx300.jpg

Her first three finals were against Venus, Hingis and Hingis. Shanghai was her big chance.

irma
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:36 AM
she was up a set and a break(I think) in key biscane 98 so I think that was her big chance.

Rae Q.
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:36 AM
I know she'll win a title but I have this feeling it won't happen until later in her career when she's not as popular.

irma
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:47 AM
eastbourne 2005. mark my words!

tennisIlove09
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:11 AM
I sort of agree with Anna :eek: :o

She has faced tough players in the finals:

-Hingis
-Hingis
-Venus
-Smashnova

She could have Smashnova, but the other three are tall tasks

GO ANNA! WIN TITLE #1 SOON!

junkartist
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by the cat

On a side note, I'm surprised that Anna weighs 130 pounds. I would have thought she weighed about 120 pounds. I would advise her to lose a few pounds a get quicker. She doesn't appear to have the quickness she once had.

You're scaring me:eek: :rolleyes:

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:14 AM
:rolleyes:@thread...

Go Anna! :D

gmak
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:40 AM
anna had her big chance against venus at the 1998 miami event .
she beat monica conchita lindsay and arantxa ( top10 players at the time ) and she was up 6-4 3-1 30-0 against venus in the final before falling apart.
who knows shat might have vappened had she won that match......

auntie janie
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:22 AM
I posted the quote becuase I find it funny, not to start a war. Naturally, not everyone finds the same things funny. ;)

There are other funny quotes in the article, such as Anna at 5'8" calling herself a "tiny little girl". If 5'8" is tiny (!), what does that make Smashnova, who beat her?

For the record, I think Anna is a decent player who plays an enjoyable style of tennis to watch, who only hasn't won a title due to head problems, and who definitely will win a title some day, as many players have done who are not as good of players as she is.

matthias
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:41 AM
"It's definitely something that I want to do. ........"

LOL

Aloysius
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Let's all make fun of each others favourite players and turn women's tennis into ONE BIG JOKE.

Berlin_Calling
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:10 PM
I think that SHanghai was mental for ANna. People put too much pressure on her.

harloo
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by ajayares

Gee you make a habit of talking out of your arse don't you, perhaps if you actually made some sense, some people may be able to understand your pt, if there is one??

As for me talking jibberish, is that a joke?? there is only one person around here who doesn't have a clue what they are saying..
Anna's got to play challengers now?? Give up, the more you type, the bigger fool you look..

LMAO@this post. It seems your the one talking out of your arse. Let it go! If you can't take a joke about Anna then tough luck. Insult me all you want.lol It won't change Anna's results. ROTFLMAO!

barmaid
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Pamela Shriver
She forgot to add:

I don't think so Shriver....if it hadn't been for Martina Navratilova you'd be selling pantyhose at Zellers.....in Anna's case the other Martina has helped her to win the only titles she has to date.....so lets hear it...."Thank God for the Martina's"!!

barmaid

:wavey:

tenn_ace
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:25 PM
pathetic posters who know one thing only - bashing Anna:

1. JANIE
2. harloo
3. Uxobi
4. Superhero

and, to my surprise, cat

Wait until something happens to your faves... I'll be back.

And as for Anna's quote: she said the truth - take it or leave it (and btw, she gave a credit to other players, she always does: they were just better)

go Anya! you're still the one:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: (and I certainly know you will get that title to shut abovementioned posters up):p

auntie janie
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:39 PM
tenn_ace, if you seriously think that all I post are anti-Anna posts, you must be totally blind, especially since I am one of the long-term regulars at Russian Roulette, supporting all those players on there. But help yourself to thinking such things, if it entertains you!

tenn_ace
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:40 PM
I don't need your permission

auntie janie
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:51 PM
LOL

harloo
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by tenn_ace
pathetic posters who know one thing only - bashing Anna:

1. JANIE
2. harloo
3. Uxobi
4. Superhero

and, to my surprise, cat

Wait until something happens to your faves... I'll be back.

And as for Anna's quote: she said the truth - take it or leave it (and btw, she gave a credit to other players, she always does: they were just better)

go Anya! you're still the one:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: (and I certainly know you will get that title to shut abovementioned posters up):p

LMAO! I barely even mention Anna until someone creates a thread about her and I give my opinion on where she is at with her game. If you feel that I criticize Anna out of spite then you have it wrong. I criticize her game because I feel she has more potential, and that time is not on her side.

Also, I don't CARE what you say about my fave. Just one more opinion. Even if they don't win everything in the future, I'm happy with their success. :) :D

Freefall
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:03 PM
"She forgot to say "my priorities are not 100% with tennis" "that now people expect me to win and I get nervous" "it's mental" "

I'm not trying to bash Anna but I think Dawn was right about her here. At least before Anna hired a real coach.

I would like to see Anna do well though & I think she can, staying injury free & with a good coach to help her.

the cat
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:32 AM
TC, are you trying to trick me? Do you think I don't know that muscle weighs more than fat? Does it really? :confused: I'm going to have to talk to a Doctor friend of mine to make sure!

I just want Anna to regain some of her quickness from a few years ago.

Tenn_ace, that's not fair! :sad: When I criticise one of my favorite tennis players, I do so with constructive criticism. Have you read my posts about Elena Dementieva lately? I still like her as much as before. And it's the same with Anna. Neither of them are fulfilling their potential. Therefore they will be criticised more than praised.

rioak1
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Caesar's Messenger

Who's Anna's coach at the moment? ;) anna's coach is harold soloman,i think he coached capriati also,and he did wonders for her and he'll do the same for anna.