PDA

View Full Version : I finally watched the Zurich final and...

Fingon
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Two interesting facts.

First, it was packed, I know it's the final but I also watched the semis, Patty vs Conchita and it was full as well.

Zurich was only 3 weeks ago, so, can we talk of women's tennis falling apart? or is it just Los Angeles?

Second conclusion, Davenport was running side to side, and didn't show signs whatsoever of any injury.

it's wonderful how she was crying and limping the day before and recovered so well in 24 hours. :rolleyes:

Sam L
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Well I haven't seen it and I don't think I ever will, LOL!

All this WTA is falling apart is crap. The WTA is in its best stage in many many years and will continue for awhile. If anything L.A. is falling apart! :rolleyes: Like I said from the beginning move it Sydney and you'd get packed houses. The ATP saw it.

As for Lindsay I have no idea. Maybe she was on painkillers? Maybe she's not. Only she knows her body.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:12 AM
One thing you're forgetting is that Schnyder is Swiss.

I seem to recall reading that Leipzig had terrible crowds, although not as bad as LA.

Fingon
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Ted of Teds Tennis

I seem to recall reading that Leipzig had terrible crowds, although not as bad as LA.

well, normally the tickets for the final are sold in advance.

And I've seen the crowds in other tournaments, the problem with LA is that the organizers didn't bother to promote it at all.

Fingon
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Ted of Teds Tennis

Aren't Venus, Serena, Davenport, Capriati, Monica and Chanda american?

Davenport, Venus and Serena are from California as well.

vs1
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:02 AM
I'm here in LA and let me just say, not many people know this is the year-end championships. They think it's just another tennis tournament because it's called the Home Depot Championships. They need to make it clear and they need to promote more with their headliners (since there are LOTS of headliners).

It really is such a shame, but I must say that the crowds have increased steadily from the first round. Even though it wasn't a capacity crowd last night when Venus played Monica, there were a lot of people and the energy was good.

Better promotion probably will help it, as well as more events for your money. Tickets are NOT cheap if you bought them in advance (although right now they are "buy one get one free") and you need to get a new ticket for every 1 single/1 double match.

wongqks
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:09 AM
In Zurich the tickets are not priced so that people will have to give up their mortgage to pay and watch ;)