PDA

View Full Version : From the Past

DennisFitz
Sep 24th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I was watching the 1981 Wimbledon final between Mandlikova and Evert.

They interviewed Hana''s parents. My first thought was that Mrs. Mandlikova looked a lot like Boris Becker's mom.
They also showed Mrs. Mandlikova smoking in the friends box. It was slightly startling, as you never see that nowadays. It reminded me that Mrs. Evert smoked too, As did Heidi Graf. And if my memory is correct, I believe Mrs. Navratilova and Mrs. Austin did too. (At the 1975 US Open final and 1999 French Open, the TV shows close ups of Mrs. Evert and Mrs. Graf nervously smoking away near the end of the matches!)

Interesting that the mother's of many of the game's great champions were smokers.

I know Rosie Casals was a smoker. Were any of the other top players smokers as well?

It's easy to look back now, and be amazed that a professional sport (one involving running and endurance) would be sponsored by a tobacco company. Women's tennis and Virginia Slims. I know car racing and golf have been too, but I don't consider them sports ;)

alfajeffster
Sep 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Just a personal aside- today is my 25th day without cigarettes! I haven't had one since 2PM on August 31st. It's getting better every day, but I admit I still crave one right after eating. This was so much more difficult than giving up drinking (doctor gave me 2-4 months if that didn't happen, so I made it happen). Many more people smoked back in the earlier days, and you saw it all the time in the seats at tennis matches.

calou
Sep 25th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Interesting observation Dennis ,but don't forget we didn't know tobacco is a POISON .Martina's mother died relatively young from emphysema ,Martina herself was sponsored by Kim ( a tobacco company ) .I think the top players aren't smokers .
In France smoking is forbidden inside the cafés ,restaurants and public area but people smoke outside , we see many people under 50 with cancer due to tobacco but that's an other story .

GeeTee
Sep 26th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I remember a tennis magazine reporting on the 1977 Federation Cup at Eastbourne.

They wrote that during the SWE vs GBR QF tie, in her match with Virginia Wade, the Swedish number one Ingrid Bentzer (she lost to Ginny 57 62) would light up a cigarette during change of ends. :)

DennisFitz
Sep 26th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Just a personal aside- today is my 25th day without cigarettes! I haven't had one since 2PM on August 31st. It's getting better every day, but I admit I still crave one right after eating. This was so much more difficult than giving up drinking (doctor gave me 2-4 months if that didn't happen, so I made it happen). Many more people smoked back in the earlier days, and you saw it all the time in the seats at tennis matches.
Keep it up!!!

Surprised that they've banned smoking in Paris cafes! Never thought that would happen.

Another nervous friends box smoker was Mariana Simionescu, Borg's girlfriend.

alfajeffster
Sep 26th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Keep it up!!!

Surprised that they've banned smoking in Paris cafes! Never thought that would happen.

Another nervous friends box smoker was Mariana Simionescu, Borg's girlfriend.

I know- same as New York City. Not too long ago anyone in their right mind would've laughed at the thought. I promise not to become that militant former smoker though- nothing worse IMO. I think it all started with the passing of Bette Davis and John Wayne. All those icons with a cigarette showing the world how glamorous and/or manly it was just passed away, and all this new Hollywood trash (thank you Norma Desmond) embraced the fitness craze because there was no longer a studio to manipulate the glamorous image of smoking. In tennis, I'd say it just took anyone a glance at Bobby Riggs teeth to seal the deal on smoking in tennis. Still, I could see Chris and Martina puffing on fags while kibitzing like Michaelangelo's cherubs. It was Micaelangelo, wasn't it?