PDA

View Full Version : Aranxta may as well play on - she should have retired a year ago.

Steffica Greles
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:12 PM
A year ago, Aranxta was already long past her best. She'd suffered some terrible losses, but still finished well in Munich - she could have gone out with some dignity.

Aranxta is one of the greatest players of all time; her hey day when she buzzed relentlessly around the baseline is written in the pages of the history books.

Never would I disrespect Aranxta, she is probably only second to Monica in my estimation as a ruthless tigress. Only positive lessons can be learned from Aranxta's career and her conduct as a professional throughout.

Yet by playing this year, she has humiliated herself. The comment from the disgruntled fan was inappropriate and wrong - but the sentiment was true. He was probably as frustrated as I have been watching this great lady fade into oblivion. Why did she play when she was injured? Why? Why? Why? She had nothing left to prove.

I'm sorry to say that.

While Monica can still show at least flashes of her former greatness, Aranxta hasn't even given us glimpses of her 91-96 form since the 2000 Olympics at the latest.

So, Aranxta may as well play on now. She's already tarnished her once almost impeccable grandslam record. Think of that terrible loss - 6-0 6-1 - in the first round of the French Open, where she had been in 10 semi-finals or better.

She may as well become the Eddie the Eagle of tennis.

JonBcn
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:16 PM
With 12 doubles finals in a year? Pathetic, she should be shot at dawn. :rolleyes:

Who are we to tell a player when they should or shouldnt play? Are you as good at your job as you were yesterday? And if you werent would you be told to retire?

I knew it wouldnt be too long before the negative threads outweighed the tributes.

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:20 PM
It's very hard for a player to retire at the right time!

JonBcn
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Thats a good point, irma: who is to say when is the 'right' time? Maybe Arantxa felt this year she could do better than last? She didnt. Maybe Serena should quit next year if she loses six times, because she will have peaked? Its all conjecture and, I think, seems to matter more to the fans than the players themselves - if a player enjoys playing, why should they care about the record books? They're earning a living, not protecting a legacy.

Steffica Greles
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Irma: Yes, you're right. I suppose she felt that she might be able to revive herself this year.

But, really, she surely should have guessed her time was up.

JonBcn: Well I don't say what I don't think.

I have very mixed feelings about the way Aranxta has retired. And as a fan, and somebody who has watched - and enjoyed - so many of her dog fights over the years, I feel I have the right to express my opinions.

If you truly believe that Aranxta should have played this year, good for you. But I will not join the bandwagon when I feel her retirement is very bittersweet.

Praise her as a player, yes, but laud her decision making - never.

Dawn Marie
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Ok, so many idiots seem to think I have all these usernames, I was fed up.:)

Will delete my reply and I apologize.:)

Steffica Greles
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Dawn: I'm sorry I annoy you. Maybe a few more tablets? LOL

:D

JonBcn
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:32 PM
I'll delete mine then, and apology accepted :kiss:

Dawn Marie
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Actually Boiled Egg I have good reason to get ticked off so many idiots keep assuming I am so many different posters. You're not me and worry and focus on you. Before I hit you as hard as hard as a ball that Elena Demetieva missed by 40 feet. Who do you think knocked over Humpty Dumpty.:):)

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Dawn i deleted my post as it didn't make sense as you'd deleted yours :)
OMG...... you're so much like my sister who is ok alot of the time and then suddenly loses the plot and goes bezerk :eek:

Dawn Marie
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Yah got to be kiddin' me.. lose the plot? AS IF! Not when I know the story so well. :)

Persian
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:11 PM
If she enjoys playing then let her play, She should keep playing doubles shes good at that :) and I don't know about singles.

Nacho
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:51 PM
You must be joking! :rolleyes:

If ASV had retired one year ago nowadays she wouldn't be the best Fed Cup player ever :bounce: :bounce: Besides this season shewon her 100th career title, so I'm glad she didn't quit!

[S@nti]
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:54 PM
yes! if she really retire she will do with 100 tittles!! nice number! :D