PDA

View Full Version : Williams Sisters on TV right now Central Standard Time!

Bright Red
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:20 PM
There's a Christian station called "Word". There's a one-hour show, "Venus and Serena Williams: Double Match - Point", It talks about how they emerged from a poor California neighborhood to become tennis stars.

They have very early footage of them and some of their matches.

HAIL-VENUS
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Are you taping it? I would love to buy a copy :D I don't think I have that channel. :(

Bright Red
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:05 PM
It just went off, H-V; and, I don't have a VCR :(

It was a very interesting show. I think the program went through USO '99 because the narrator and the interviewees were all wondering how Venus would handle the fact that Serena won the first Grand Slam.

I learned quite a few new things from watching. For example, Venus was shot at while she was practicing on a court in Compton. Afterwards, some of the members of the community stood as bodyguards for her and Serena while they practiced.

There were several other interesting tidbits, too.

Also, there was a former tour player, Katrina Adams, I believe. She's African-American and seemed to know quite a bit about the Sisters.

HAIL-VENUS
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:08 PM
kool, I sure would like to have seen the show. I really like watching them when they were kids. OMG :eek:, Venus was shot at?!!!!!! She's had to deal with "haters" all of her life. Who the hell shoots at a little kid? The bastard. I'm glad nobody was hurt.

Bright Red
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:13 PM
I agree. People don't realize just what the Sisters had to go through to get where they are today.

The culprit in the attempted shooting was a neighborhood gangster. I'm just glad that Venus made it through unharmed (physically, at least).

One of the commentators said something that really stuck to me. It's that neither Venus nor Serena has ever done anything to shame themselves, their family, or the sport. And that when you consider all of the scandals we've seen in tennis and other sports, it's pretty remarkable.

Watching the show really makes me appreciate what they are doing even more, and how phenomenal they are. Too bad I couldn't record it.