PDA

View Full Version : A question for French ppl (and Brits)

gentenaire
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:48 PM
I'm planning a ski trip to France at the moment. I want to avoid going during public/school holidays. The problem is that I don't know exactly when these holidays are. I'd appreciate it if someone would post the dates here. I'm thinking of going in February or March.

gmt
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Tineke, here are the dates.

Vacation dates depend on the academy. French academies fall into 3 zones:
Zone A - Caen, Clermont-Ferrand, Grenoble, Lyon, Montpellier, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Rennes, Toulouse
Zone B - Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Besançon, Dijon, Lille, Limoges, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Poitiers, Reims, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C - Bordeaux, Créteil, Paris Versailles

Winter holidays are scheduled as follows (they start at noon on Saturday, well, in theory ;)):
Zone A - February 22 -> March 9 (included)
Zone B - February 15 -> March 2
Zone C - February 8 -> February 23

Just choose which kind of French people you most want to avoid :cool:

gentenaire
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Thank you, gmt! That's exactly what I needed. I think it would be best to avoid the Zone A holiday considering that's where I'll probably be skiing.

gmt
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:25 PM
You're welcome Tine!
Well, you know, people who live near the mountains go skiing on weekends as well, and might sometimes want to avoid the rush of vacation time. On the other hand, many Parisians only have their winter holidays to ski. I can imagine that you were not planning to ski down the Montagne Sainte-Geneviève, but beware of the Parisian rush upon alpine ski resorts :eek::cool:

gentenaire
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:49 PM
So basically I should avoid February? ;)

I was thinking of March anyway. Last year I went the last week of March. Apparently there was some British holiday then, but overall the crowds weren't too bad. Still, I felt it was a bit too late in the year, quite a few lifts were closed because there wasn't enough snow. I had a great holiday, but this year I'd rather come a little earlier, but not too early cause then ski lifts close too early then.

veryborednow
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Britain - There'll be a one week holiday in February. 3rd/4th week at a rough guess, depends how long the half term is (varies with counties).

And there's a two week holiday surrounding easter.

So I'd suggest March.