PDA

View Full Version : Is someone else like me?

selesrules
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Each person is a big fan of a player. Of course I'm a big fan of Monica.

I didn't get to see the Monica vs Venus match, but now that I know that she lost, if they put it on replay today on TV, I won't be interested in watching it even though Monica played well. I just don't like to see a match if I know that my favorite lost. I have no interest in watching it at all.

I didn't get to see the Monica vs Lindsay match, but since I know that she won, if they put it today on TV, I will be glued to the TV, taping it and watching it very closely because my favorite won.

If for example Justine fans didn't get to see the match against Clijsters and they put it on tv today, would you a Justine fan watch or would you not watch because Justine lost?

Are most people like this?

selesfan1
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:24 PM
i think it's boring when you find out who won and thenthey played the match over regardless of whether your fave won or lost.

raquel
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:25 PM
no, i am the same! i am a huge arantxa fan, but didn't watch any of the uk coverage of the fed cup final the day after the fianl, because it would have been to hard to watch, even though i dont get to see her much on tv these days

selesrules
it might be boring to know the result before, but I would definitely watch it if she won and I would not watch it if she lost. It's just isn't "fun" for me to watch my favorite lose.

wongqks
I am like you, I don't mind Monica lost, but if I knew she lost even if it is on replay, I will be very stressed so I rather not see it.

Crazy Canuck
I don't mind seeing a great match of my fave player, if they lost. But a match where they were killed? No thanks.

I have to use an ATP example, since I'm more fickle with the WTA:

For example, I am going to BUY the French Open semi final between Ferrero and Guga in 2000. Sure Ferrero choked a match, it appears that he could have won. But it was his first French Open, and apparently a great match. I want to see it.

In contrast, I have Costa-Ferrero, French Open 2002 Finals on tape - a tape that will forever go unused untill I find an occasion worthy of recording over it :p

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:32 PM
me!
and you would never hear me say that a match my fav lost was great either! I rather make excuses :p

Nimi
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Same here.

Venus Forever
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:37 PM
I have to watch it no matter what. I have to know what went wrong.

kiwifan
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:54 PM
I think you might want to make an exception for this match.

Before the Sisters came on the scene Monica was my fave and I haven't seen her go for the angles and hit the ball off the court like this in a while.

I think even in a loss to the Queen, this match would send a message to her fans that she's still "got it" and to her detractors to "kill that noise" about retirement.

The rest of the tour should be worried in 2003.

While I think Venus would have taken her in 3 yesterday, Monica was unlucky not to win the first set. She really yanked Venus around the court, like Serena does, in the first set.

If you have a chance you'd really enjoy it despite the result.

Freewoman33
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:00 PM
I'm like you. AO 2002, V and M. AO 2001, I think with MH and SW

"Topaz"
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:41 PM
If you're a fan, you want excitement, you want the win. If you're a coach or a tennis analyst, you don't want to miss on anything the top players do, not even their practice sessions.

Now, if you're a tennis enthusiast (become poster), you can be a bit of both. I taped Venus-Monica of Aussie-02 as I knew I wouldn't be available to watch it live. Then, I found all kinds of excuses not to watch it until ... April. :o

HAIL-VENUS
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:37 PM
I'm definitely like you. I taped every Williams/Williams final this year, and I've only watched Wimbledon twice, painfully might I add. I hate to see Venus lose anything, even to baby sis'.

salima
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:52 PM
I will watch even if my favourite lost. I want to see why, how, and everything else. Then I can stay awake the night before the next match while I am planning the tactics.
How could I join a discussion if I dropped to see the match.

Nina_rus
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:00 PM
I'll probably watch it, esp if it was a close match (will probably go away during a set point or match point against my fave player that I knew she'd lose or a game that I knew she played badly) but will most likely not record it (I record every match with Monica that is on TV).

harloo
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:52 PM
I can't watch it sometimes. If I'm taping it live I will watch no matter what. If I know my fave has been defeated I will not tape it even if it was a good match. Sometimes I do set my vcr for matches and the one's where my faves lost I just skip. However, after my fave has lost I will come back to watch the finals regardless of who's playing. By that time I'm over the loss. I guess it depends on what mood I'm in.

:rolleyes:

tinkerbell
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:09 PM
i'm the same. i'd rather not watch if my favourite player lost a match. take the mens US open final this year, i couldn't see it live & when i found out that Agassi lost i couldn't watch the match on tape....& i still can't.
the exception to the rule is the 92 French Open final btw Steffi (my hero) and Monica. it was a great match & it was the very first tennis match i'd watch the whole way through. if i still had it on tape i would probably watch it.

Kiwi_Boy
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:12 PM
I'm a bit like that.....i cant get into the whole cheering on thing if i know it aint going no where.