PDA

View Full Version : Where should the season ending championships move to?

selesfan1
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:58 PM
let's decide where would be the best place

wongqks
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:02 PM
in Hong Kong Colliseum, trust me the atmosphere will be fantastic

mkatan
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Back to MSG!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :bounce: :wavey: ;)

raquel
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:07 PM
back to Madison Square Garden. the day sessions were never sold out there either, but the night sessions always seemed to be so there is obviously a big womens tennis fanbase.

Wimanna
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Antwerp, "Het Sportpaleis"

baleineau
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:08 PM
i think it should be played in europe as a natural conclusion to the european indoor season.

paris would be my pick, because the french really get up for their tennis.

it should be held around the same time, or one week later, to let fed cup get out of the way first, rather than hva eplayers going for a 3-5th consecutive week.

also make sure it doesn't overlap with the men's paris masters, otherwise the end of season champs for the women might be overshadowed.

failing that, renegotiate wth MSG

Venus Forever
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:09 PM
MSG DEFINITELY!!

Hey, I saw it once here and it was great. If only it would move back here!!

schris
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Back to NY !

wongqks
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:14 PM
honestly, since it is winter and every match is suppose to be important, they should all try to make it a week long event, even if that means moving to a small stadium (10,000 is good enough), that way i am sure things should be fine

Here is my schedule

Mon 2 singles and 1 doubles
Tue 2 singles and 1 doubles
Wed 2 singles and 1 doubles
Thur 2 singles and 1 doubles
Fri 2 QF singles and 1 doubles SF
Sat 2 QF singles and 1 doubles SF
Sun 2 SF singles
Mon Final for singles and doubles

8 session all start from 7pm, then anywhere in the world will be fine.

selesfan1
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:49 PM
That is a good ideae Wongqks.It is nor only important to have good attendance at the event site but also to have good tv ratings from all over the world. I think I may have goofed as putting the millenium dome for a london option beause isn't the millenium dome more likea museum rather than an all purpose venue. I thought it was like astadium because during the millenium celebrstions the ceremonies in there it looked like an indoor stadium. Can any Brit correct me?

Bright Red
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Anywhere in Texas would be fine with me. That would be awesome.

england_rules
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:57 PM
London!! It's such a beautiful city!!!!!

MarcusRock
There should be an option for allowing the Championships to change locations every year. I think that was a good idea brought up by someone on here.

venusfan
MSG.... a lot more promotion, better coverage.. YUCK!!!! Pacific Time..

Bright Red
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Ny and LA get everything. It should be somewhere else--spread the love.

Princess Fiona
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Roma!! :cool: :D

Blackie
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:23 PM
London

Frau Antje
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Belgium

Jordan.
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Houston!!!! :D And if thats not possible, MSG!

~*Alma*~
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:47 PM
MSG!!

-Fienesse-
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Belgium!!!

Brαm
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Antwerp: Het Sportpaleis

cireewol
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:00 PM
I agree with one of the aforementioned posters that said it shold be move to different cities! Therefore, you are spreading the tour globaly!

I, for one, don't think ANOTHER tournament needs to be in the NE or the Southern California area. They are already TOO many events in the NY area and southern California. Plus, the crowds in NY are, by and large, anti-Williams fans! The Sisters probably really don't like playing there (well, the 900k checks are good incentives, though)

Ideally, the fans would like a chance to have the Season-ending event change locations - spread the love!

bluepastures
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:02 PM
I voted for London, but I actually don't think it should have a permanent home. It should go to a different country each year, and to venues which don't already have one of the four majors.
There is also a strong argument IMHO for combining it with the men's y-e champs. This would give a wider range of matches for spectators to watch. You could also have a mini-tournament held at the same time with the 8 top juniors of the year.
Incidentally, there is no particular reason why the Dome couldn't hold a tennis tournament. It is being converted into a sport and entertainment venue, and of course tennis courts can be installed and removed, As LA this week, and Paris-Bercy show. Although it sometimes seems to produce a bad court as in LA's case

Freefall
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Orlando or Oslo or Paris or London or back to MSG or have it switch around each year... Yes, I'm really helping to narrow it down ;)

Nikki
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:54 PM
London or MSG:)

LucasArg
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:D

matthias
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:50 PM
i would move it around like ATP

ghosts
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Africa or Asia.... :rolleyes:

Come-on-kim
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Antwerp : "Het sportpaleis"

or

Charleroi : "Le spiroud˘me"

BelgianGirl
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by wimanna
Antwerp, "Het Sportpaleis"

I totally agree with you! :D

Elisse
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:19 AM
I'd love to see it change location each year.....but for now, I voted for London (at the Dome) :D
and my choice has nothing to do with the fact that I live about 15mins away from there! ;)

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:53 AM
MSG, its the greatest Arena in the world, Tennis needs the establishment here.

mboyle
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by baleineau
i think it should be played in europe as a natural conclusion to the european indoor season.

paris would be my pick, because the french really get up for their tennis.

it should be held around the same time, or one week later, to let fed cup get out of the way first, rather than hva eplayers going for a 3-5th consecutive week.

also make sure it doesn't overlap with the men's paris masters, otherwise the end of season champs for the women might be overshadowed.

failing that, renegotiate wth MSG

I think they should cut the entire indoor season, hold the fed cup indoors in Las Vegas the two weeks following the US Open, then have the masters in MSG the week after that.

Greenout
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:12 AM
It should be held in a different city every year
depending on the way the vibe is on tour with
a strong following.

It would be better in Belgium, Hong Kong, or
Thailand.

Greenout
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Good point about doing a men's and women's
championship;but we all know that Agassi will
get the headlines- while your Maggie's, Myskina's
and Henin's would be relugated to a side show
while they play 5 sets!!!

ColinB
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:30 AM
It needs stay in one venue likeit did at MSG sothat it can build up some interest over a few years...

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:02 AM
New York, MSG

Nov 11th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Melbourne: Home of the Australian Open.
I can personally guarentee that every match would sell out

tommyk75
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:20 PM
I say stick with LA and give it time to develop. This year was pretty much a disaster, but the Staples Center is a big-time venue in a big-time market. With time, I think the event could become huge. One change they need to do from next year is to reduce the ticket prices by a LOT. Wonqks' idea of having only one session per day (at night) is a wise idea as well. Personally, I'd also cut the field from 16 to 8 players. Look at all the lopsided 1st round matches (from this year and from most other years too). The Top 8 would make for better matches.

bobcat
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:49 PM
I also think they should stick with LA. They might have better attendance from the start in other cities, but I think having it in LA will force the WTA officials to start putting some thought into improving the way they run the tour. LA is one of the toughest, if not the toughest, market to crack. Lots of people waltz into LA and think that just because they were a big deal in other cities that they can have the same success in LA.

Looking back they made lots of very obvious mistakes. But the event might have still sold out if the event were held in another city. Being in LA will force the WTA to learn how to do things right for a change.

marsha
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:13 PM
I would have chosen MSG *IF* MSG were an option -- BUT IT IS NOT!!! And not byt the WTA's choosing either, it was all MSG's doing.

So given that it comes down to either NYC (and I can't think of a place other than MSG that would do) or FLORIDA!!! (Hurrah for Florida) The best spot would prolly be the Miami Arena (if it doesn't interfere with hockey, which was the problem with MSG), but if they moved it to the O-Dome, I personally would go scrub the floors each night or whatever it would take! :)

selesfan1
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:23 AM
I think the Millenium dome would be awesome.

niratti
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:33 AM
somewhere in Asia would be nice, Japan, Korea, China, Thailand or Australia/New Zealand.

Hey don't forget South America and Africa.

I think they should keep relocation every year.

Nov 12th, 2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Judio

It would have to be played at start of 2003 to time with the Australian Open

Now there is a thought?????

Give players time to rest before the Year end Champs

It wouldn't have to time with the Australian Open, but that is a good idea. Kim (who had quite a lot of time off earlier in the year due to her injury) is the only player who doesn't look tired at the moment...yes, a few other players (mainly Serena) have played well, but not up to their usual standard

Berlin_Calling
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:05 AM
Back to Nyc and MSG so I can go!! :p

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:07 AM
The Season ending Champs used to be in March until 1986 :eek: ;)

joaco
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:23 AM
MSG

fhkung
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:27 AM
GM Place, Vancouver, Canada

earthcrystal
Nov 12th, 2002, 06:46 AM
You guys might as well get over this. They made it extremely clear at the awards ceremony that it's not going anywhere.

Better promotion is definitely warrented tho'. (I'm betting they got that clue already!) ;)