PDA

View Full Version : If Steffi was still active on WTA, how would she fare against these players?

Zhao
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:15 AM
As we witnessed a string of rising stars on WTA now, i m wondering if our Great Steffi is still playing, how would she fare against them?

Which of these players will still find difficulty beating Graf ?

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:30 AM
I think Kimmy would have difficulties, just like she has against Monica. the mental heroblock.

Steffi would beat Hantuchova on grass too, if Nav can win a set against her, then steffi can too:)

Of course this is about steffi having practised and matches under her belt.
I think now she would lose every match 6:0 6:0(no idea how much she plays tennis these days, but I saw her in the first months of her comeback in 98 and that was not a pretty sight and I doubt it would be better after 3,5 years :eek: )

BasicTennis
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Elena Bovina only because she's not mentally tough yet.

The rest of the pack would trounce steffi easily.:angel:

Zhao
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Seles stayed on n she is still making an impact
giving Venus problems in their matches
if that is the case i dun see why Steffi can't??
if Steffi did not retire i can see that she will still be in top10
maybe winning a few more grand slams( Wimbledon n French)

Sam L
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:27 AM
IF Steffi had played for the last 3 years and kept herself in shape, I think everyone except Serena would have difficulty with her.

Not because I think she's the greatest ever, but experience counts and 1999 she proved that by the French Open.

She'd still have what it takes to frustrate any of the young players. I think a match with Serena will still be competitive, but I doubt she'll beat her.

Persian
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:29 AM
I think Justine and Elena Bovina simply because Bovina is not mentally tough.

schris
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:32 AM
I agree with Sam L !!!

Steffi could still beat everyone if she would play her best (only against Serena and Venus she would have difficulty)

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:36 AM
monica is younger as steffi, steffi was already not movivated in the last year of her comeback(joking in a grand slam final? steffi? if somebody had said that in in her best time they had laughed that person out)
I doubt she would have gone back to be herself!

she might have won another french open though and then make a public announcement that she is an idiot to ever have detested that surface and that she should not have blewed these finals when she shouldn't have!;)

Persian
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:39 AM
I actually think that mainly everyone could beat her in the top 20 now, the Jelena Dokic exhibition in Auckland she lost like 6-2 6-3 or something, she would be a top 50 floater from now on.

schris
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:40 AM
hehe, Steffi and clay... I think irma likes this topic ;)

BasicTennis
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:41 AM
the reason why she didn't continue because she knows that her time is up....smart move from steffi.;)

unlike her fans, she knew her limitations.:angel:

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:42 AM
that's not true, steffi won 6:2 6:3 and then Jelena won the next match in 3 sets.

but that's exhibition. steffi lost to anybody in exhibitions even when she was number 1!

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:44 AM
basictennis when steffi retired she was the best grand slam player of the year!

BasicTennis
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:45 AM
those exhibitions exhibited that steffi's time is up already....Jelena was inconsistent back then and still she has a problem with her serve nowadays.:o

BasicTennis
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by irma
basictennis when steffi retired she was the best grand slam player of the year!

I agree....she wants to preserve that great memory, the reason why she discontinued playing.:)

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:47 AM
steffi lost to gigi fernandez and angelica galvadon(well alx said that) in 95 in mexico. was her time up then too?

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:49 AM
she also lost to anna in 98 :o (no not eastbourne)

anna never runned harder then that day :o

BasicTennis
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:50 AM
steffi lost to gigi fernandez and angelica galvadon(well alx said that) in 95 in mexico. was her time up then too?

it's just a signal for her to think wisely.hehehe

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:52 AM
oh well I still think steffi retired at the right time, after talking about it for nine years. it serious became time :o

steffi is a nice person for preparing her fans so well :o

BasicTennis
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:59 AM
oh well I still think steffi retired at the right time, after talking about it for nine years. it serious became time :o

steffi is a nice person for preparing her fans so well :o

true....you steffi fans then should be satisfied enough and stop telling that she still can beat a particular player 'coz her time has nicely ended already.:kiss:

-Sonic-
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:37 PM
I think she would definately be in the top 10 still, possibly top 5 depending on draws etc. Only the Williams, the Belgian girls and Amelie would be able to get frequent wins IMHO.

bilal
Nov 9th, 2002, 01:36 PM
I'd say the Williamses would be able to get frequent wins.. The Belgians have too much respect for her...

nasty nick#2
Nov 9th, 2002, 02:01 PM
I think Steffi and Martina Navratilova at their peak easily would kick the William's sisters asses.

I agree that it's boring when a player win a game only cause she happen to be physically stronger then her opponent and can hit the ball harder.

hingis-seles
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Steffi wasn't the best grandslam player in 1999, Martina Hingis was!!!

Aus'99- Martina won, Steffi QF.

RG'99-Martina RU, Steffi won.

Wim'99-Martina R1, Steffi RU.

US'99-Martina RU, Steffi DNP.

Overall GS matches W/L record for 1999:

Martina 19-3. (Reached 3 out of 4 Grand Slam finals)

Steffi: 17-2. (Reached 2 out of 3 Grand Slam finals)

I think Serena had the toughest GS tournament title in 1999 when she won the US Open. She defeated:

Round 3: Kim Clijsters (3 sets)

Round 4: Conchita Martinez (3 sets)

Quarterfinals: Monica Seles (3 sets)

Semifinals: Lindsay Davenport (3 sets)

Finals: Martina Hingis (2 sets)

Hingis defeated Dokic, Coetzer, Pierce, Seles and Mauresmo on her way to AUS Open in 1999 and Graf beat Kournikova, Davenport, Seles, Hingis to win RG 1999. Lindsay beat Schett, Novotna, Stevenson, Graf to win Wimbledon.

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:26 PM
ali I was talking about when steffi retired also before the us open

steffi: quarters
win
finals

martina:
win
finals
first round

selesrules
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Steffi would have problems with

Monica: (who improved her serve a lot and they always had close matches)

Serena & Venus: (Steffi had problems beating them when they weren't even grandslam champions, so they would eventually have the upper hand now that they became different players who improved a lot)

Davenport: She has a lot of power and in the last few years Lindsay started winning against Graf and was starting to have an edge.

Patty Schnyder: I just think that their US Open match which Patty won easily showed that Patty had the perfect weapons to trouble Steffi (high topspin shots that go to Steffi's backhand, lefty serve, etc.).

Sure all the players who have improved in the last few years Hantuchova, Dokic, Capriati, Mauresmo, Clijsters, Henin, etc. would give Steffi trouble, I just named the ones that are the most obvious.

Volcana
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:36 PM
steffi would still be atop five player. except for V & S, I think she'd beat everyone more than she lost.

RedRaider1
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:37 PM
For Sure I think Graf would fare well against these players. The only ones who I think she would lose to more often than win against are the Williams Sisters. I mean come on Jennifer Capriati (Graf roadkill) is number 3. Even at her age I would still favor her against the current #'s 3-5 Cap, Justine, Kim.

Venus Forever
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:40 PM
I definitely think that Venus and Serena, and maybe even Lindsay and Monica, are the only ones she may lost to more than she beats. Jen, Kim, Justine, Martina would get occasional wins.

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:42 PM
steffi kicked cappy's ass 6:0 6:1 the last time they played.

RedRaider1
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Concerning exhibition results, such as Dokic beating Graf once. I really don't think they make a difference at all. I mean Mary Joe Fernandez beat Graf at an exhibition in the early 90's. However during their careers in real matches Graf was 17-0. Exhibitions mean nothing.

Volcana
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:45 PM
steffi would still be a top five player. except for V & S, I think she'd beat everyone more than she lost.

Devin2.0
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:18 AM
At 33 yrs old going on 34, Graf would be top 5 and would've broken Smith-Court by now. Steffi in her prime? Would be number, even with the way serena played this year.

Devin2.0
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Also, I don't think Steffi's body would have held up even if she wanted to play.

banana
Nov 15th, 2002, 11:16 PM
actually capriati defeated graf the last time they played in mahwah(?) and how can you say that capriati is graf roadkill? i mean jen defeated graf at the age of 16 has ne1 else done that? and she beat moica at 15!

caseyl45
Nov 15th, 2002, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by banana
actually capriati defeated graf the last time they played in mahwah(?) and how can you say that capriati is graf roadkill? i mean jen defeated graf at the age of 16 has ne1 else done that?

Yeah, Seles did it twice in 1990 - in Berlin and at the French Open. I don't think that Capriati was roadkill for Graf, though, anymore than any other top player in the early 1990s was.
And I agree that Graf would be competitive on today's tour if she were still playing -- provided she was healthy. I'm not going to guess how she would do against some of these younger players, but I'd love to see a match between her and either of the Williams sisters (never got to see them play before she retired) as well as the Belgians (I think Clijsters would hold her own based on her current form, and Henin just to see that backhand against Graf's forehand - two of my favorite shots to watch!).

essielewis
Nov 16th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Really, the only consistently good players on the tour are Venus and Serena. All the others are up one tournament and down the next; they are injured all the time or the just can't finish off a match. I agree with Shriver and Fernandez when they said that Steffi would easily have been in the semis or finals of this year's championships.

None of the women playing now (except V&S) could compare with Stef in her prime or out of her prime. For several years before she retired Steffi didn't really want to play. The only reason she came back after her knee injury was so that an injury would not be the reason she quit playing. She came back and proved how good she was by winning the French and making the finals of Wimbledon. She retired when she wanted to retire not because she was afraid of any of the younger players. She had said years ago that she didn't want to play tennis after the age of 30.