PDA

View Full Version : My goodness, Monica played outstanding!!

CHOCO
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:34 AM
It's been a very long time since I've seen Monica play so ferocious. She played with the same type of zeal as she did in her prime. Wow! If it were another player that Monica was playing against instead of Venus, she would've lost.

Based on tonight's performance, there is no doubt that Monica can play 2 or 3 more years at a VERY HIGH LEVEL.

Though Monica loss tonight, this performance will be remembered for a very long time.

GO MONICA!! :)

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:35 AM
She did play extremely well...

franny
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:38 AM
yea, monica definitly could have won this match, it was so well played and honestly, i think monica played better than venus. This was one of those match that could have gone either ways and that the final score isn't an indicative of how the two played. I think that had monica won 1 or 2 more of her millions of break points, she would have won this match like 6-3, 6-4 or something. Its amazing, did u guys see all those netcords? I counted 5 that went against monica, 1 way in the beginnign that wasn't that important, that one where monica hitted it and it cliped the net letting venus hit a winner, and those three netcords hit by venus on BREAK POINTS!!!!!!!!!! its crazy!!!!!!!!

earthcrystal
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Nice post CHOCO. :)

Seems no one is disappointed by this one. Well, sure, we Monica fans would have loved her to pull it out, but the level of play really takes a lot of the sting out of the loss. It was a thrilling match, and Monica is really serving notice that she's still very serious about her game by competing with such a great player (in her prime!) pretty much toe to toe.

Good stuff. God I love great tennis. :D

tennisfan1972
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Seles played a great match. it just goes to show u at what level u have to play to beat venus. no wonder so far only serena has been able to do so consistantly. since her return game is comparable to minicas and she rarely loses serve herself. yeah those netcords were amazing. Venus was clearly out of the point. The only thing that could have won her a point was the netcord. simply amazing at that stage in the game to hit netcords to save breakpoints. is this a record? anybody know.

CHOCO
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:48 AM
ec - thanks :)

I've NEVER seen anyone return Venus' first serves with so much power and precision. I couldn't believe my eyes. Serena usually kills Venus' second serves but not her first serves like Monica did tonight. It seemed like Monica and her coach really worked hard on returning Venus' serves.

Though Monica lost tonight, her fans should be encouraged by her performance and that she's a looooooong way from being finished.

Jericho
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:10 AM
yeah she played great, she would've won playing like that against someone other than venus and serena...venus was just better...true #3 is monica seles...

tennisfan1972
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:10 PM
I think it was smart of Monica to sit out the european indoor tourneys and wait til she was healthy. this bodes well for the 2003 season. i know Venus hopes that she doesnt dra seles in another quarterfinal though.

Lola
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:26 PM
she really did play outstanding! great match! when I saw her playing yesterdey, it reminded me of her game in the early 90s

Rae Q.
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Monica was great! I was really getting worried for Vee.

gmak
Nov 9th, 2002, 01:14 PM
get a life :(

ktwtennis
Nov 9th, 2002, 02:02 PM
She definitely deserves it for what she's gone through and what she does for the game. In fact, Jon Werthiem(sp?) said that one of the reasons attendance is so bad is because players weren't fufilling their PR committments, but Seles was! She is a great champion and if you can't see that, then you are an idiot...

disposablehero
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:21 AM
A nice thread, yes. But that wasn't a revitalized Monica.

It was a sneak peek at a work in progress. The revitalized Monica you will see in about 8 weeks.

GrandSlammed
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:47 AM
It was more about what Venus Williams wasn't doing then what Seles was doing. Venus was playing like runny shit and still won in two sets. I didn't see anything about Seles that suggests her being on the comeback.

Dado
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Monica wouldn't lost if she played one or two indoor tournaments before.

Monica_Rules
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Monica played very well.If Monica can spend sometime in the off season getting her fittness up a notch watch out the rest of the tour in 2003!

Jarrett
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:37 PM
ITA Monica_Rules. I cannot wait to see her at one of the events in January!

mishar
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:23 AM
I agree. Monica played better than she had since the Australian at least, maybe since all summer. She was returning Venus' serve better than anyone except Serena. Yeah, she still has a lot to improve (notably, her own serve) but her performance was way excellent.
I think she could have beaten most everyone else in this field except for the Williams sisters.