PDA

View Full Version : Monica looked VERY good

Volcana
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Gotta say, I haven't seen Monica play that well in a long, long time. She was barely breathing hard the whole match. She wasn't just hitting amazing angles. She was hitting DIFFICULT angles. Anyone who ever stepped in from the sideline to get that angled out shot knows how often you miss it. Monica hit it over and over and over. Monica dictated play. It was like Monica vs Arantxa much of the time.

This is a player who'sheading into the off seaosn in control and heading in the right direction. I'm not saying she's going to win OZ. But today proved to me anyway, that Monica can play a sustained match against a tough opponent at a level sufficient to win OZ. Cliff Drysedale was crowing over and over about how Monica was taking control of the center of the court, but it was a good point. If Venus couldn't get the ball on the sideline, Monica took control of the points.

If Roland Garros was a month from now, I'd put money on Monica. I'd put money on a couple other players too, but Monica looked really strong today. The players who are banged up right now, they aren't going to catch up with Monica if Monica stays injury-free, and keeps up her current training regiment. Kim seems in similar good health and form. And Venus and Serena. The rest of the tour elite is tired, banged up or off form.

And BTW, tonight put it all to rest Venus is the fastest player on the tour. At least she has the highest top speed, because she caught up to some shots from Monica that were smokin'.

I'm not seeing any GS titles for anyone under 21 next year.

selesadmirer
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:21 AM
well played match by both,i hope monica can continue this form and get stronger.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:25 AM
I agree...Monica looked extraordianry tonight...With play like that she will have a 2003 FULL OF SUCCESS...GO MONICA, I CANT WAIT!!!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::b ounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bou nce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounc e::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

earthcrystal
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Nice post Volcana. :)

I agree, this is some of the best stuff Monica's brought to the court in a long time. Venus was playing well; as winners to UE ratio can attest to, and Monica was standing toe to toe most of the time. The match really hinged on a point here and a point there. One of the things that I was most impressed by was that she was getting her racket on a lot of tough serves, and hit some amazing returns off even a couple smokin' first serves.

As a Seles fan, this is definitely a good sign for the new season.
I think she's gotta be inspired by her level of play in these past two matches...I suspect that this will keep her motivated to continue working in the off season. If it does, I expect to see her coming out inspired in January.

(Arg...but it's gonna be a long winter!) ;)

Monique
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Monica was hitting shots that would have been winners against any other player if not for Venus's amazing speed and will...the best match of the tournament so far...

irma
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Monica looked indeed very motivated. I think the journalists with all the she should retire crap motivated her to prove them wrong:)