PDA

View Full Version : Season 2011 - Final Spurt on Hard Courts

Curcubeu
Sep 10th, 2011, 05:28 PM
She is starting with the MM event of Tashkent right after the US Open at first! :)

Curcubeu
Sep 10th, 2011, 05:28 PM
WTA Tashkent, Main Draw:

(6)Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) v Vesna Dolonts (RUS)
Olga Govortsova (BLR) v Vitalia Diatchenko (RUS)
Qualifier v (wc)Kamilla Farhad (AZE)
Sorana Cirstea (ROU) v (2)Bojana Jovanovski (SRB)

Great draw! :worship:

Langers
Sep 12th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Sarcasm is strong. :lol:

Win a match, that'd be awesome Sorana...

Curcubeu
Sep 12th, 2011, 09:41 AM
No sarcasm intended... :shrug:

She was even humble enough to give Bojana 4 games! :happy:

Well done, girl! Keep it up! :spit:

grs
Sep 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Shall we see Sori in semifinal here? :)

Meelis
Sep 12th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Second round against Krunic (who should beat the bye Farhad easily).

Langers
Sep 12th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Good win, surprising actually, now please win this next match.

HowardH
Sep 12th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Really hard to read anything into that result actually, considering Bojana's recent form. But good luck to Sori in the tournament.

Nena_xxx
Sep 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM
:cheer:

Andiyan
Sep 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Great start anyway. Beating the #2 losing just 4 games is always great.

grs
Sep 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM
6-3, 6-4 against Krunic with very good status at the first serve :)

Curcubeu
Sep 14th, 2011, 09:11 AM
First WTA quarterfinal since Istanbul 2010 :spit:

keep it up, please! :D

EDIT: 77% first serves?! :eek:

Could have been much easier if she would have taken her BPs and saved more than one from Krunic, but still seems like a much better performance than the US Open flop :)

Curcubeu
Sep 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM
She entered the 100k ITF of Saint-Malo next week! :eek:

Sasja
Sep 15th, 2011, 05:40 AM
First WTA quarterfinal since Istanbul 2010 :spit:

Finally.....:dance: :p

QF against Kudryavtseva :cheer:

vuhvuh
Sep 15th, 2011, 07:52 AM
why she doesnt play seoul or guangzou i think that is stupid decision to play itf it has not that easier players as for example guangzou

HowardH
Sep 15th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Lost 6 and 4 to Alla.

Curcubeu
Sep 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM
:facepalm:

To answer the question why she is playing Saint-Malo. I guess she hopes for another great run like her won ITF in Cagnes-sur-Mer and she prefers playing on clay over Hard Court tournaments... :shrug:

Ivanovic2008
Sep 16th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Come on Sorana! Where is she next?

Curcubeu
Sep 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM
100k ITF in Saint-Malo on clay to mess up my thread title... :spit:

Curcubeu
Sep 17th, 2011, 08:26 AM
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=445457

:happy:

grs
Sep 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=445457

:happy:

She's a clever girl with a very good sense of humor :)

Curcubeu
Sep 19th, 2011, 04:55 PM
$100,000 ITF Saint-Malo:

(4)Laura Pous-Tio (ESP) v Nina Bratchikova (RUS)
Alexandra Cadantu (ROU) v (LL)Catalina Castano (COL)
Elitsa Kostova (BUL) v (LL)Eva Fernandez-Brugues (ESP)
(5)Sorana Cirstea (ROU) v Estrella Cabeza-Candela (ESP)

Quarterfinal againsr cadantu, please! :hysteric:

Meelis
Sep 20th, 2011, 01:31 PM
(5)Sorana Cirstea (ROU) d. Estrella Cabeza-Candela (ESP) 67(5) 60 61

Slow start today and mostly because I thought I was still playing on a hard court

I've spent more time on the ground today then on my feet...my knees look like they've been throu World War 2 after today's match...

http://p.twimg.com/AZyKMKCCAAAFMN4.jpg:large

Curcubeu
Sep 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Still, great scoreline if we are neglecting the first set clay accomodation! :shrug:

Sasja
Sep 23rd, 2011, 06:05 AM
Sori is in the QF. She def LL Eva Fernandez Brugues in R2: 6-4 6-3 :D

Today QF against the nr 4 seed Laura Pous-Tio :cheer:
H2H is 0-2, but hopefully Sori can win this time.

Interviews on tournament website:

Sorana Cirstea
«I was playing really well in the first set, I was ahead 5-1 and then I think I started to forget where I was and I stopped playing a little bit (laughter). But then I started getting back into the match and adding variety to my game, with drop shots and things like that, and eventually it went well. I came to the net quite a lot and missed some easy volleys but I also hit some difficult ones so all in all, I'm hapy with my net game, I'm very confident with it. It's the first day here with no rain this year, I really enjoyed that. The sun was actually so bright that I put sun screen on, which is a good sign, I like this kind of weather much better. I'll get to play my third Spanish player in a row tomorrow. It's going to be a very challenging match as I've played Laura Pous-Tio twice and I lost every time.»

Eva Fernandez-Brugues
«It was so difficult, I don't think I hit a single winner before 5-1 for her, she was playing incredibly well. All I could do was run all over the court, there was nothing else to do to stop her. High balls, topspin, she was returning everything. She 's so good, she can beat pretty much anyone when she plays like that.

Curcubeu
Sep 23rd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Demolished Pous-Tio 3 and 1 in the quarters! :yeah:

Great decision from her to go back to challengers on clay! Next round against an on fire Soler-Espinosa will be interesting! :)

grs
Sep 23rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Demolished Pous-Tio 3 and 1 in the quarters! :yeah:

Great decision from her to go back to challengers on clay! Next round against an on fire Soler-Espinosa will be interesting! :)

If Soler-Espinosa beats Johansson in semifinals :)

Curcubeu
Sep 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Oops... :oh:

First of all she will beat Voegele of course, then Soler-Espinosa :spit:

vuhvuh
Sep 23rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
good win sorana still i think pous-tio couldnt be at her best meh sori has so much potentional be top 20 next year! and get a coach!

HowardH
Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Actually, that's an impressive scoreline against Pous Tio. It's something positive, even if perhaps Laura was below her best. That pic of her on the ground is pretty cute.

Sasja
Sep 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Sori is in the final :D

She def Voegele 5-7 7-5 6-1 :) She was actually 5-7 3-5 down :p

Let's win this now! :cheer:

Sasja
Sep 24th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Interview after her SF:

«At one point, it really felt like I already had one foot on the plane back home. She was up 5-3 in the second set, she served for the match and that's when I broke her for the first time of the match, which was the perfect time to do it. Then I fought, I stayed there and it paid off. I'm so glad I won this one... She served very well and it added pressure on me because I couldn't break her. Also, that's why I'm really happy my returns were so efficient today. As soon as I got the opportunity to play more aggressively, I knew things were going to go better for me. Sometimes I have the feeling I'm a little bit asleep on court, and that was the case at the beginning today, until I woke up. i had seen her outfit yesterday and I realized we were going to wear the same clothes if I didn't change mine but I didn't want to, that's what Adidas gave us and I love this outfit. It's good for them, too ! The bright orange looks great in a sunny weather like today's. It looks nice and I win with it, so it's even more enjoyable ! I'm not sure I'll watch the other semifinal, I have to cool down and I have a couple of other things to do and if I'm still around, I'll watch it. But I know the two players pretty well anyway so it's not really that important. My father is usually very quiet in the stands, he doesn't say much, but today he was like: "Come on Sorana, you can do it!". I thought: "OK, if my dad says I can do it, I probably can!". I'm glad he enjoyed the match. My schedule until tomorrow's final is simple: I have to cool down, then I have an interview. I think after that I'll want to have lunch and rest a little bit. And we'll probably go to dinner in the old city tonight.»

Curcubeu
Sep 24th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Yes, Sorana, you sleep often during matches :lol:

A win is a win! :oh:

Andiyan
Sep 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM
The outfit talk :silly:

The sleep thing :bowdown:

Hardly readable tho :o They left the questions out :o

Sasja
Sep 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Sori wins the title :woohoo:

She def Soler-Espinosa 6-2 6-2 :yeah:

That's a really good win. I expected a closer match, but maybe Silvia was also a bit tired after 2 really good weeks.

Five wins in a row! Great tournament for Sori :hearts:

HowardH
Sep 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Yes, Sorana, you sleep often during matches :lol:

A win is a win! :oh:

To be honest, it's rather impressive that she realizes this herself.

Good luck in the final!

Andiyan
Sep 25th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Awesome :woohoo: Up to #81 in the ranks. Now build from here.. finish 2011 with a good feeling :)

Curcubeu
Sep 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
She played her three best tournaments this year on French clay - Cagnes-sur-Mer, French Open and now Saint-Malo. :lol:

Coincidence? :oh:

I would be happy is she can transform that form onto WTA level! :)

Vikkiri.
Sep 25th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Congrats Sori :hearts:

grs
Sep 25th, 2011, 06:02 PM
She played her three best tournaments this year on French clay - Cagnes-sur-Mer, French Open and now Saint-Malo. :lol:

Coincidence? :oh:

I would be happy is she can transform that form onto WTA level! :)

She will ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1450651181/DC-10_normal.jpg
darren_cahill (http://twitter.com/#!/darren_cahill) Darren Cahill
Onwards & Upwards @sorana_cirstea (http://twitter.com/#!/sorana_cirstea). Great job with your ITF win in France. Not bad considering you thought it was on hardcourt (it was clay)

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1305400838/1-1_2_normal.jpg
sorana_cirstea (http://twitter.com/#!/sorana_cirstea) Sorana Cirstea

Haha tnx so much Darren @darren_cahill (http://twitter.com/#!/darren_cahill) ...aparantlly i can win tournaments on clay playing like on hard court :) or maybe thats the secret;)

Curcubeu
Sep 26th, 2011, 02:21 PM
:lol: at cinfusing clay with hard :hysteric:

grs
Sep 26th, 2011, 03:51 PM
:lol: at cinfusing clay with hard :hysteric:

It's what Na Li did at Roland Garros :p And it paid out!

Tennis Fool
Sep 29th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Sorana is POTW on the G&R Watch for St. Malo :D

Curcubeu
Oct 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM
WTA Linz, Qualifying Draw:

(3)Anastasiya Yakimova vs Viktoriya Kutuzova
Nina Brtachikova vs Anastasia Rodionova
Silvia Soler-Espinosa vs (wc)Janina Toljan
Nikola Hofmanova vs (7)Sorana Cirstea

She must qualify here... :cheer:

Hofmanova is a walking bye, Soler-Espinosa was beaten easily by her even on clay and Yakimova is an overranked ITF queen... :shrug:

HowardH
Oct 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Sori won vs Hofmanova, 6-7(5) 6-0 6-0.

Curcubeu
Oct 8th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I guess the first set was comparable with the match against Cabeza on clay, an adaption period to the new surface because after that she was cruising. :)

So, I don't mind that one and I'm sure she won't have any problems with Soler-Espinosa in QR2. ;)

Curcubeu
Oct 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Qualifying placements in the MD couldn't be better: Mayr-Achleitner, Pervak, Makarova and Paszek are all beatable on idoor hard, only Hantuchova would be :scared:

Curcubeu
Oct 9th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Won her QR2 match against Soler-Espinosa 2-6 6-1 7-5 :o

3/19 on BPs, nough said :spit:

Petkovic has withdrawn, so Sorana is guaranteed a main draw spot. Good for her, so she can tank the match against A Rod (who would have beaten her, anyway :oh:) and hope for a good MD spot! :)

PerfectForm
Oct 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Killed Rod 61 62 :)

Curcubeu
Oct 10th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Sorana, you are an unpredictable mess :crying2:

But as I said, she will save energy! :lol:

Curcubeu
Oct 10th, 2011, 04:08 PM
R1 tomorrow against Paszek, Stream and live coverage on ES! :dance:

vuhvuh
Oct 10th, 2011, 05:21 PM
meh I wont see it can someone record it or something?

Curcubeu
Oct 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Maybe ES will repeat it at sometime in the night or morning like they often do! :lol:

Vikkiri.
Oct 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Sori win against Paszek 7-5 6-3 :cheer:
She play really good tennis in this match, i'm so happy for her.
Good luck against Baby Pavly :)

Sasja
Oct 11th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Sori :D

Curcubeu
Oct 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
What definitely impressed me most was the strength of her first serve which seem to come back to vintage Sorana day by day. Actually it was the best I saw her serving for ages! :D

Good luck against Nastya! :cheer:

grs
Oct 12th, 2011, 06:32 AM
In all four matches till now, Sorana hasn't lost any game on her service after the first set.

Curcubeu
Oct 12th, 2011, 06:44 AM
She has her chances against Pavlyu whose service is still very wonky at the moment... :)

Curcubeu
Oct 12th, 2011, 07:29 PM
And she did it! :woohoo:

Sorana def. Pavlyuchenkova 4-6 6-0 6-4 :crying2:

What an amazing feeling to bump the "Sorana's Top 20 wins thread" again! :hysteric:

Her serve is getting better and better. Also today only broken once after the first set (of course when she served for the match :oh:). Great result which proves what playing some ITFs can do for your self-confidence! :D

10th win in a row! And a bagel against a Top 20 player after losing a set to Hofmanova! Unbelievable! :lol:

Ian Aberdon
Oct 12th, 2011, 07:33 PM
That - a - girl Sori!!!Keep going! :hearts:

grs
Oct 12th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Her serve is getting better and better. Also today only broken once after the first set (of course when she served for the match :oh:). Great result which proves what playing some ITFs can do for your self-confidence! :D

Has broken twice in the third set ( 2-0; 0-2; 3-2; 3-3; 5-3; 5-4; 6-4) :)

It was a normal result. A girl with top 10 potential won against a top 20 player ;)

Curcubeu
Oct 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM
:o Right...

But still good because Nastya is a great return player! :)

Vikkiri.
Oct 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM
So happy for Sori, i'm so proud of her :hearts:

HowardH
Oct 13th, 2011, 07:29 AM
That's a nice win. Although I'm sure Nastya's poor form had something to do with it.

Hope Sori can keep it up.

Sasja
Oct 14th, 2011, 12:25 PM
10 wins in a row now ;)

Like both Sori & Lucie :D Just hope it's a good match and may the better player win :p

Langers
Oct 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
She is so, so talented, but her shot selection at key times is so often woeful. It’s really holding her back. Will it ever improve? I sure hope so.

HowardH
Oct 14th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Lost 5 and 2. Lucie served for the first set 3 times and almost was broken every time.

Sori had too many errors but did hit some nice shots, as always. Some terrible misses including a short bounce smash into the net at 2-4 to go down the double break.

Had a nice fightback in the last game saving 3 MPs.

Lucie was serving very poorly and this should have given Sori an edge, but it wasn't enough.

Sori gets too stressed during points and tends to struggle to think as a result. This makes her make a number of silly, unthinking errors at bad times.

vuhvuh
Oct 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM
i dint saw her match against paszek but she plays better then in the first half of the year for sure though she really needs a coach i think she just often doesnt know what to do on court. although i think she is getting better it is still not enough i wanted her in sf but after seeing the second set today it was not enough good. now luxemburg

Curcubeu
Oct 14th, 2011, 06:00 PM
She is so, so talented, but her shot selection at key times is so often woeful. It’s really holding her back. Will it ever improve? I sure hope so.

Sori gets too stressed during points and tends to struggle to think as a result. This makes her make a number of silly, unthinking errors at bad times.

i dint saw her match against paszek but she plays better then in the first half of the year for sure though she really needs a coach i think she just often doesnt know what to do on court.

This, this and this!

It's hard to explain how I felt watching her today! World class shots combined with the dumbest errors ever, but still I had that weird feeling that if she can really find a day when everything goes her way, she is able to beat everyone out there! :lol:

Her potential is not deniable, except of her rather poor footwork, she has some nice strokes and also a decent first serve which is miles better from the mess during the clay and grass season. She actually gained improvement in all departments of her game from when I saw he playing the last time, but as already said, it still seems so messed up, chaotic and definitely too erratic.

She still has to learn when she has to go for what shot, when she has to be more defensive and when going for the attack. That's what both players seperated today. Lucie (who isn't that consistent herself) was simply better in choosing the right shot for the right time, while Sorana had more problems with that and missed more... :o

Next up is Limoges, by the way! She has a nice chance to win there! At least she seems ready now to compete on the ITF level to bring her ranking back! :)

Sasja
Oct 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Sori :sobbing: :hug:

vuhvuh
Oct 14th, 2011, 08:41 PM
yeah she is mess so it all together looks like she plays bad i dont know she must think more on court. btw i thought she plays luxembourg but she isnt in q draw so she plays some stupid itf instead idk but i would rather see her in moscow prob or maybe lux

Meelis
Oct 14th, 2011, 11:13 PM
She will play Limoges 50k and then 100k in Poitiers.

Curcubeu
Oct 14th, 2011, 11:45 PM
She loves France, doesn't she? :lol:

vuhvuh
Oct 15th, 2011, 11:13 AM
no doubt tho wth she plays 50k? :/

Curcubeu
Oct 17th, 2011, 10:24 AM
ITF Limoges, Main Draw:

(6)Michaella Krajicek (NED) v Ani Mijacika (CRO)
Magda Linette (POL) v Nastassja Burnett (ITA)

Stefanie Voegele (SUI) v Kateryna Kozlova (UKR)
(3)Sorana Cirstea (ROU) v Paula Ormaechea (ARG)

Tricky section! :scared:

donellcarey
Oct 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
ITF? God why not Kremlin...

Curcubeu
Oct 18th, 2011, 03:00 PM
ITF? God why not Kremlin...

Maybe because she is still struggling with random claycourters on ITF level... :spit:

(3)Sorana Cîrstea def. Paula Ormaechea 6-7(3) 7-6(3) 6-3 :weirdo: :facepalm:

Paula even had a MP! :oh:

Other than that, awful performance after last week... :spit:

SidTheKid
Oct 18th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Sori will go on to win it :oh:

SidTheKid
Oct 18th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Sori won 6-7(3) 7-6(3) 6-3 :)

Sasja
Oct 19th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Sori in the QF. She def Voegele 7-5 6-3 :)

Now against Misa Krajicek :shrug: :sobbing:

Curcubeu
Oct 19th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Sori solid after her usual R1 drama... :lol:

Fun aside, she is always troubling in her first round matches as of late, but I guess that has something to do with her sleeping breaks as she says! :lol:

SidTheKid
Oct 19th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Or with her spending more time on the internet then playing tennis :D

Ian Aberdon
Oct 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Maybe she was still preoccupied with that PIN code she showed us on her FB page. Still trying to type it in! :lol:

SidTheKid
Oct 19th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Maybe she was still preoccupied with that PIN code she showed us on her FB page. Still trying to type it in! :lol:

That was what I meant :D

Curcubeu
Oct 21st, 2011, 03:35 PM
Sorana Cirstea def. Michaella Krajicek 6-3 7-6(2) :dance:

Semis against Amanmuradova! Definitely winnable for Sorana! :)

SidTheKid
Oct 21st, 2011, 05:50 PM
Sori go on and win it :)

Curcubeu
Oct 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
Semifinal Limoges:

Sorana Cîrstea def. Akgul Amanmuradova 7-5 6-1 :yeah:

Another final for Sorana! :woohoo:

She won 16 out of her last 18 matches! :bowdown:

Going back to the roots on ITF was the best she could have done! :)

Final against the top seed Arvidsson! :scared:
Good luck! :cheer:

SidTheKid
Oct 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
I wonder when she will return to WTA tornaments :)

Curcubeu
Oct 22nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Next year! :lol:

WTA is finished after this weak, expect for the champs!

Sasja
Oct 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Semifinal Limoges:

Sorana Cîrstea def. Akgul Amanmuradova 7-5 6-1 :yeah:

Another final for Sorana! :woohoo:

She won 16 out of her last 18 matches! :bowdown:

:yeah:

Good luck today Sori :cheer:

Ian Aberdon
Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Good luck Sori! :yeah:

Meelis
Oct 23rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
She won 62 62 :)

Ian Aberdon
Oct 23rd, 2011, 03:54 PM
YASSS!!!!!! Love her! :aparty:

Curcubeu
Oct 23rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Awesome, the best match once again when it counted most! Didn't expect it to be that easy considering that Sofia is a great indoor player and she defeated Sorana badly at the US Open last year!

Top 60 just around the corner now and she will be seeded at 100k Poitiers next week as well! :D

SidTheKid
Oct 23rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Yes Sori wins :))

Curcubeu
Oct 23rd, 2011, 05:16 PM
100k Poitiers, Main Draw:

(3)Elena Baltacha (GBR) v Valeria Savinykh (RUS)
Virginie Razzano (FRA) v Q/LL
Kristina Barrois (GER) v Akgul Amanmuradova (UZB)
(7)Sorana Cirstea (ROU) v Q/LL

First 2 matches should be pretty easy, even with Sorana#s tendency to start slow into a tournament! :)

Curcubeu
Oct 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Sorana via facebook:

Won my final 62 62 yesterday against Sofia Arvidsson...Played the best match of the week,so i guess was good timing:) Its funny how tennis works when u think about it.From being match point down in my 1st round match here i am winning the tournament!!!!Well a bit similar to life :) Playing my last tournament of the year this week in Poitiers!!!

Nena_xxx
Oct 25th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Should I hope that better days are coming? Hell yeah! :hearts:

Curcubeu
Oct 25th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Lsot first round of Poitiers to (LL)Linette... :happy: :help:

See you next year! :oh:

vuhvuh
Oct 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM
awkward but i think i take it easy she was definitely tired and generallly i dont care about itf tourneys much i wanna see her do something in premier tourneys at least next year
hope for big 2012

hellas719
Oct 26th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Great last few weeks :yeah:
Let's just forget about Poitiers though :lol:

HowardH
Oct 27th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Let's give her the excuse of being tired. Most people struggle the week after a title. But you'd better show some results next year Sori!

Tennis Fool
Oct 30th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Sorana is POTW on the G&R Watch for winning Limoges :D