PDA

View Full Version : L.A. "Championships" disaster - Fault of the WTA?

xan
Nov 9th, 2002, 01:47 AM
I think the WTA year-end "championship" in Los Angeles is almost certainly going to go down as an epic disaster. It can only be saved by a miraculous improvement in the semi's and final.

Attendance has been appalling. What has the WTA been doing by way of publicity for this tournament - supposedly the peak event of the whole WTA year? it would seem to be nothing at all. You'd think in a city the size of Los Angeles, you'd find more than 200 or so tennis fans to share a 10,000 seater stadium.

Do people realise this is an important Championship? I doubt it. The WTA does not treat the title as though it is important. The winner is forgotten the week after the tournament. The title "WTA Tour Champion 200x" should be promoted far more, so the winner is introduced by this title at all other tournaments and events - just as the computer "No 1" is This would promote the status of the event throughout the year.

The standard of play has been terrible. After the exciting, riveting matches indoors at Filderstadt, Zurich and Linz, suddenly the same players are playing like the cast of "Zombie Flesheaters", virtually every point ending in a sloppy error or mishit - no advert for the womens' game. The few spectators who turned up must have been sorry they came!

What is the cause of the poor play - Jetlag? The Eurosport TV team seem to be sure it is the strange court surface chosen by the WTA for the championships. It is a surface designed to slow the men's game, and virtually never played on in other WTA tournaments. The girls got no time to practice on this surface, and are mistiming all their balls on the exceptionally slow surface!

What made the WTA choose this surface?!!!!!!

So what can be done to salvage things next year?[/b]

Move the championships again?

Change the format (round robin for example)

Better publicity locally?

Treat the title as though it really IS important...?

harloo
Nov 9th, 2002, 01:55 AM
xan, this topic has been did over like 100 times already.

"Topaz"
Nov 9th, 2002, 02:35 AM
This is not WTA Championships, folks. Please read the label before you buy. It's Home Depot Championships. Home Depot, you get it. It's about lumber, nails, hand tools, lights and so on. Some top female tennis players will show up to add grace to the area.

To complete the deal, that Home Depot thing is being presented by Porshe. That's it. Are you interested? Huh!

What a marketing blunder!

xan
Nov 9th, 2002, 02:41 AM
Harloo - If this topic has been discussed 100 times - it hasn't been on THIS board. Show me the posts - or perhaps you could post something a little more constructive.

Tennispower - This IS the WTA season-ending Championships, supposedly the "5th Grand Slam". The WHOLE season is supposed to lead up to it - "The Race to the Chase" - as it is promoted. It's not SUPPOSED to be just another tournament. There's 3 Million dollars in prizemoney though, so the sponsors want a bit of publicity.

The point is, will the sponsors be back next year?

"Topaz"
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Xan, read my post again. I'm not sure the general L.A. public knows it's about WTA at all. It's a Home Depot thing! Maybe a fair!

tennisIlove09
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:01 AM
the level of play sucks because everyone is TIRED!

Uxobi
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:44 AM
A lot of people prefer to save their $'s and watch on tv for free. The attendance is increasing daily. No disaster noted!

BasicTennis
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Top 8 players and round robin is better becuase with TOP 16, you could still expect a mismatch on the women's tour.