PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Season's End | Year end #2 | Fed Cup Final

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Barktra
Sep 8th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I know I have barely posted on petra's forum, but I love her just as much as you guys :)

Petra's Rest of Year schedule:

Tokyo
Bejing
Linz
YEC's

Fed Cup Final

bruce goose
Sep 9th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I know I have barely posted on petra's forum, but I love her just as much as you guys :)

Petra's Rest of Year schedule:

Tokyo
Bejing
YEC's :shrug:You don't need to justify starting a thread:)...but I have to admit that,at first,I thought that Petra had a season-ending injury when I read the first words in your title on the main page(the others were hidden).....Thankfully,that wasn't the case:cool:

18majors
Sep 9th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Go Petra go.

bruce goose
Sep 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Not saying that she should've played there...not at all...but I look at the Tashkent draw with Ksenia Pervak as the #1 seed and can't help thinking that even a heavily-slumping Petra would've dominated

cosmoose
Sep 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Not saying that she should've played there...not at all...but I look at the Tashkent draw with Ksenia Pervak as the #1 seed and can't help thinking that even a heavily-slumping Petra would've dominated

I think the days of Petra playing in MM are over.
Its true she would have dominated at Tashkent. But what would it prove except accumulating ranking points? She would be accused of pulling a "Woz." :p

Specter
Sep 11th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Its true she would have dominated at Tashkent. But what would it prove except accumulating ranking points? She would be accused of pulling a "Woz." :p

Well, if she wants to be #1, that's clearly the road to success. :oh:

bruce goose
Sep 11th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Its true she would have dominated at Tashkent. But what would it prove except accumulating ranking points? She would be accused of pulling a "Woz." :p....which would pretty much be a brainless retard claim('pulling a Woz') because,as you should know;),a top-ranked player has a maximum of MMs(two?) she can play per season,so there's no way you could ever do that with any frequency.....I didn't WANT Petra to play Tashkent...was only commenting on how easy it would've been for her

18majors
Sep 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I truely believe Petra would have beaten Serena handily if she plays like her Wimbledon final.

bruce goose
Sep 12th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I truely believe Petra would have beaten Serena handily if she plays like her Wimbledon final.After today's result,your pro-Petra,positive-thinking,hypothetical scenario has a lot more plausibility,Eighteen:hatoff:

18majors
Sep 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM
WTA is a better place now that Serena-phobia is gone but it won't be long before Petra takes over the role of intimidator.

bruce goose
Sep 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM
WTA is a better place now that Serena-phobia is gone but it won't be long before Petra takes over the role of intimidator.Yeah,but I think that Petra will be an intimidator BETWEEN the lines--not by threatening the lives of umpires and line judges:lol:

Excelscior
Sep 12th, 2011, 05:23 PM
You guys are a mess (and PS: I was claiming all along Serena wasn't invincible, and could be beat)! Remember? Lol. :) :lol: :)

Hey! Petra is #6 in the ranking now, 300 points behind #5. A nice, sparsely attended Premier 460 event (since Tokyo got bombed out by Gozilla's nuclear radiation), that could nudge her into a top 5 ranking would be great right about now. Lol

Petra needs some points this year, unless she's looking to improve on her 2012 spring hard court season, and/or win the tournaments she won in 2011 (which we know Brisbane won't be one of them, cause she's not playing it). I hope that's not putting too much pressure on herself for 2012 (if she doesn't pick up any major points for 2011), though it can certainly be done, if she's more consistent next year.

We'll see (for this year and next year)?

bruce goose
Sep 12th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Actually,he(Godzilla) just uses his body to smash through things;I've never seen him use a bomb at any time...though he DOES have his fiery breath

I agreed with your Serena assessment and posted in another forum,a while back,how she plays clay as little as possible b/c she can't stand it when some 100th-ranked player thrashes her and destroys that aura....let's hope that Petra learns to respect but NOT idolize her

Excelscior
Sep 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Who Knows Bruce? Maybe she'll play Tokyo? I don't know? I guess it depends on how many top players show up? I know Li Na's not supposed to be there? That's telling, if she doesn't show up. I wonder who else? Lol.

Actually, I think Petra's downfall tournament (in retrospect), was not entering San Diego. It was a fast court, with a nice draw. Vera was the toughest seed that was there actually. Petra could of made hay, till the semi-finals, and had hopefully built her confidence and game up by then. At worst, it would of been one tournament to get her feet wet before Toronto and Cincy's loaded seeds.

Yeah. It's that fiery breath I was talking about. It's actually radiation, cause Godzilla was born (actually awakened) by Nuclear Bomb testing out at sea (or so the story goes). "Bombed out", just meant destroyed (like Tokyo, after he leaves). Lol

Good point on the clay court stuff, regarding Serena Bruce. I'm glad you noticed the same thing to with Serena maintaining her aura/intimidation factor.

Oh. And Welcome to the Petra Subforum Jupiter Love!!!

mac47
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Remember that Petra had a leg injury at Wimbledon that she needed to recover from. So entering San Diego wasn't really an option. (Not saying you thought it was.)

Barktra
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Maybe she should try to enter Moscow. Sort of big tournament and a fast court like Paris indoors. Do what Azarenka did last year try to get confidence before year-enders

bruce goose
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Good point on the clay court stuff, regarding Serena Bruce. I'm glad you noticed the same thing to with Serena maintaining her aura/intimidation factor.

Oh. And Welcome to the Petra Subforum Jupiter Love!!!IMO,she fears the one who DOESN'T fear HER...maybe it doesn't undo her every single time,but it causes her to lose her composure sometimes....I just got that vibe in that 2009 semi when she'd been previously wiping everyone out.She hit a few impressive winners vs. Kim...who basically responded,'Okay,whatever:yawn:---let's move on...'

When Kim was younger she wasn't so composed in big matches as she is now,and I'd love to see Petra show the same growth process....but sooner;)

TimeyWimey
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:46 AM
i'm just wondering what the hell has Nole done in the year-end training last year, how the hell one-month could make such a difference?

back to Petra, i'm still fully confident that her team can do the same magic, just as they already did last year, making her so much better

i'm not quite sure if Petra really needs to play more tournies in the coming months, considering she has only won 2 matches in Beijing and Tokyo last year and surely she will get bye this year. There's really nothing to worry about the points at this moment

IMO, the most important match left this year is the Fed Cup final [sort of Davis Cup for Nole, of which he said as a huge boost for his confident this year:)]

Forgive me about YEC, it is nowhere a good tournament

Good Luck, Petra :bounce:

Excelscior
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Remember that Petra had a leg injury at Wimbledon that she needed to recover from. So entering San Diego wasn't really an option. (Not saying you thought it was.)

That's true Mac. Absolutely.

But it was one of those injuries that she could of played through, until she had time to rest (though 4 tournaments, admittedly would be a lot). That's essentially what she did during and after Wimbledon. Unfortunately/fortunately for Petra, they wanted her to finish healing 100%. Can't blame them for that, if they were that close, so she had to chop off San Diego off her schedule.

It appeared that tournament had a domino affect though, regarding the other tournaments, and her timing, comfortability and confidence.

It'll be interesting to see what she does/where she plays. She needs matches?

Excelscior
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Maybe she should try to enter Moscow. Sort of big tournament and a fast court like Paris indoors. Do what Azarenka did last year try to get confidence before year-enders

Sounds good/kool to me!

Excelscior
Sep 13th, 2011, 02:06 AM
i'm just wondering what the hell has Nole done in the year-end training last year, how the hell one-month could make such a difference?

back to Petra, i'm still fully confident that her team can do the same magic, just as they already did last year, making her so much better

i'm not quite sure if Petra really needs to play more tournies in the coming months, considering she has only won 2 matches in Beijing and Tokyo last year and surely she will get bye this year. There's really nothing to worry about the points at this moment

IMO, the most important match left this year is the Fed Cup final [sort of Davis Cup for Nole, of which he said as a huge boost for his confident this year:)]

Forgive me about YEC, it is nowhere a good tournament

Good Luck, Petra :bounce:

Gee Reyes. Where's the confidence? :confused: :lol: You don't think she'll improve, especially with a possible warm up tournament in between? I know there still lots of tournaments to be won in 2012, but you still wouldn't want Petra to pick up 700-3000 points this winter, to take some of the pressure off of her ranking next year (and improve it this year)?

Aren't Tokyo (if she goes), and the YEC fast courts as well; with the YEC being indoors, and Tokyo with a retractable roof?

I could be wrong, but so far this year, her Fed Cup matches haven't given her any points. At least that's what the WTA website says.

Yeah, Nole is crazy! If he wasn't a top 3 ranked player, people would wonder, "What the Hell Is Going On", and they still do. The man is just insane this year. Poor Rafa! He lost to Nole in 2 Grand Slam Finals this year, and won the other one.

He must be smarting. 6 loses in a row in finals to Nole now. Whew!

TimeyWimey
Sep 13th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Gee Reyes. Where's the confidence? :confused: :lol: You don't think she'll improve, especially with a possible warm up tournament in between? I know there still lots of tournaments to be won in 2012, but you still wouldn't want Petra to pick up 700-3000 points this winter, to take some of the pressure off of her ranking next year (and improve it this year)?

Aren't Tokyo (if she goes), and the YEC fast courts as well; with the YEC being indoors, and Tokyo with a retractable roof?

I could be wrong, but so far this year, her Fed Cup matches haven't given her any points. At least that's what the WTA website says.

Is it just me or anyone else here, in fact i truly do not care whether Petra is ranked no 1 or no 16 (this might be mathematically wrong considering her level, but you get the idea)

Ex, of course if Petra could win Beijing/Tokyo/YEC, that would be, you know, (help me with an English word here :cool:)

but for these players from east europe, i read several interviews with Nole, and he mentioned more of his country than himself after winning wimbledon, i guess Davis Cup and Fed Cup is the highest honor for these players (just my opinion)

forgive me if i'm biased, cuz i've been following Fed Cup since Nicole became Czech no 1 (still feel sad that she's not here, her Fed Cup record is 11-1 :tears:) :p

don't get me wrong about the asian swing, i would always love to see her destroy those pushers (or at least, start to win back-to-back matches again, she is the only top 10 player without btb wins after wimbledon)

Excelscior
Sep 13th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Is it just me or anyone else here, in fact i truly do not care whether Petra is ranked no 1 or no 16 (this might be mathematically wrong considering her level, but you get the idea)

Ex, of course if Petra could win Beijing/Tokyo/YEC, that would be, you know, (help me with an English word here :cool:)

but for these players from east europe, i read several interviews with Nole, and he mentioned more of his country than himself after winning wimbledon, i guess Davis Cup and Fed Cup is the highest honor for these players (just my opinion)

forgive me if i'm biased, cuz i've been following Fed Cup since Nicole became Czech no 1 (still feel sad that she's not here, her Fed Cup record is 11-1 :tears:) :p

don't get me wrong about the asian swing, i would always love to see her destroy those pushers (or at least, start to win back-to-back matches again, she is the only top 10 player without btb wins after wimbledon)

It would be fabulous! Absolutely! That's the word. Lol

And I know the Fed cup means a lot to Petra, Csersonak and her team mates. Nole attributes it to his Australian Open win (and new found confidence) in 2011, as well. Surely I know! Lol

You certainly have a right, to not care about her ranking, but if her ranking improves or maintains, then that means she'll be more consistent, and/or winning more titles. That's just my best wishes on Petra. Of course if she doesn't, then wins Grand Slams, I'd be fine with that to. The only thing is, the Fed Cup comes up in November, I think, so there's a decent amount of tennis to be played before then. Hopefully she'll pick up two more titles this year?

At this point, I just want to see her back on the court, successfully doing her thing, and playing that beautiful aggressive tennis she plays (laying the ground work for 2012).

TimeyWimey
Sep 13th, 2011, 04:01 AM
You certainly have a right, to not care about her ranking, but if her ranking improves or maintains, then that means she'll be more consistent, and/or winning more titles. That's just my best wishes on Petra. Of course if she doesn't, then wins Grand Slams, I'd be fine with that to. The only thing is, the Fed Cup comes up in November, I think, so there's a decent amount of tennis to be played before then. Hopefully she'll pick up two more titles this year?

At this point, I just want to see her back on the court, successfully doing her thing, and playing that beautiful aggressive tennis she plays (laying the ground work for 2012).

as always, nice point :cool:

let's put our focus on Fed Cup after YEC :angel:

bruce goose
Sep 13th, 2011, 04:45 AM
If Petra doesn't do that well at Fed Cup,then I don't think it'll automatically destroy her confidence for next year by any stretch.However,if she DOES excel,then that would be big enough to give her a lift for 2012 even if she struggled for the rest of the WTA season........not that I want to put that theory to the test:lol:

18majors
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM
It appears Petra will play Tokyo based on everything I read.

bruce goose
Sep 14th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Sorry if you guys think this belongs in off-topic,but what was the final disparity between Adam's USO results and Petra's??

TimeyWimey
Sep 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Adam reached QF in Singles and R2 in Doubles

bruce goose
Sep 15th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Adam reached QF in Singles and R2 in DoublesThanks,Reyes;you have my word that I'll keep the thread predominantly on Petra herself...but that'll be so much easier when she starts regularly playing matches again;)

18majors
Sep 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
The important thing is for Petra to play more tournaments and win more matches.

bruce goose
Sep 15th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Well,Petra doesn't have very much on her schedule for the rest of the year,so she'll have to go deep in every tourney if she's looking to get lots of match play

TimeyWimey
Sep 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Russian Fed Cup Final team: Zvonareva, Pavlyuchenkova, Makarova, Kuznetsova

http://sport.idnes.cz/rusky-nastoupi-proti-ceskam-ve-fedcupovem-finale-bez-sarapovove-phf-/tenis.aspx?c=A110915_132447_tenis_ma

bruce goose
Sep 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM

http://sport.idnes.cz/rusky-nastoupi-proti-ceskam-ve-fedcupovem-finale-bez-sarapovove-phf-/tenis.aspx?c=A110915_132447_tenis_maYep,that'll be a challenge...but then again it SHOULD be difficult to win a FC championship.VAMOS,Petra!!!:bounce:

paulmara
Sep 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Russian nomination 6 weeks before Fed Cup (when 10 days before is required) it is all about informing fans that Sharapova is not playing.

bruce goose
Sep 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Russian nomination 6 weeks before Fed Cup (when 10 days before is required) it is all about informing fans that Sharapova is not playing.She rarely does and I don't think she was expected to--so was that REALLY a motive?

Coconut91
Sep 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM

http://sport.idnes.cz/rusky-nastoupi-proti-ceskam-ve-fedcupovem-finale-bez-sarapovove-phf-/tenis.aspx?c=A110915_132447_tenis_ma

Mixed feelings here :lol: Oh well, can't Tokyo come faster? :mad:

bruce goose
Sep 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Mixed feelings here :lol: Podrias explicarnos??

Excelscior
Sep 16th, 2011, 01:26 AM
That's still a really good Russian team though guys (unless Kutzy is out to lunch, and even Makarova can do damage).

bruce goose
Sep 16th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Kutzy?I didn't know that Sveta had converted to Judaism:lol:....Wonder if she'll ask the local rabbi to bless her racquet for the match with Petra:)

Coconut91
Sep 16th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Podrias explicarnos??

My favorite players are Petra and Nastia Pavs, and they'll have to face each other :hysteric: So I'm seriously torn and heartbroken :lol:

18majors
Sep 16th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Petra will be the big news for Fed Cup.

bruce goose
Sep 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
My favorite players are Petra and Nastia Pavs, and they'll have to face each other :hysteric: So I'm seriously torn and heartbroken :lol:Thanks for explaining;maybe if I'd read your sig more carefully I would have figured it out.Nothing personal against Nastya,but I'M not conflicted so I hope Petra wins;)

TimeyWimey
Sep 16th, 2011, 04:22 PM
My favorite players are Petra and Nastia Pavs, and they'll have to face each other :hysteric: So I'm seriously torn and heartbroken :lol:

Pavly, one of the cutest players out there, i like her :angel:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/84/fullj.e1f39302dd2c47e83bf7a3d20383f556/e1f39302dd2c47e83bf7a3d20383f556-getty-124002492.jpg

Excelscior
Sep 16th, 2011, 08:21 PM

I see you like em big/the big girls, huh? ;) :lick: :p :lick: ;)

I'm looking forward to Tokyo (and some new Petra tennis) as well.

Coconut91
Sep 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Nothing personal against Nastya,but I'M not conflicted so I hope Petra wins;)

Don't worry, I understand :lol: ;)

Pavly, one of the cutest players out there, i like her :angel:

:awww: She's adorable

I see you like em big/the big girls, huh? ;) :lick: :p :lick: ;)

I'm looking forward to Tokyo (and some new Petra tennis) as well.

I'm not sure I got your point, but I don't like them that way :rolls:

Hope Petra makes it past the first round in Tokyo. If she does, I see her winning the whole thing :lol:

Excelscior
Sep 16th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Don't worry, I understand :lol: ;)

:awww: She's adorable

I'm not sure I got your point, but I don't like them that way :rolls:

Hope Petra makes it past the first round in Tokyo. If she does, I see her winning the whole thing :lol:

It was a joke/innuendo, but more about your incidental taste in female tennis faves, not who you normally date or like in your personal life. You know, cause Petra is a 6 footer, and Anastasia is kinda, well Pavylachunky? ;) ;)

Two big girls; though in two different ways.

Funny (though quite possible, I hope), on your second statement to me, regarding Petra and Tokyo. Lol

TimeyWimey
Sep 16th, 2011, 11:58 PM
just checked the previous Petra cheering thread, some posts after her Paris glory, when she lost to Ayumi Morita, Barbie Strycova and Kristina Barrois at Dubai, IW and a 100K, all R1

maybe we were little bit too harsh on her in that "who was that imposter" thread, maybe at that time, we were little bit confused ourselves on how to be a fan of our Petra, instead, we replaced that with "GS Champion"

one week countdown to Tokyo, GO Petra :drive:

Excelscior
Sep 17th, 2011, 12:34 AM
just checked the previous Petra cheering thread, some posts after her Paris glory, when she lost to Ayumi Morita, Barbie Strycova and Kristina Barrois at Dubai, IW and a 100K, all R1

maybe we were little bit too harsh on her in that "who was that imposter" thread, maybe at that time, we were little bit confused ourselves on how to be a fan of our Petra, instead, we replaced that with "GS Champion"

one week countdown to Tokyo, GO Petra :drive:

Agreed (though we can criticize Petra, and call her what we want)! :) :devil: :)

I had mentioned on a GM thread (for the desperate haters), that Petra will be back, because she's had two periods of slumping (July-Dec, 2010, March-April 2011), after excellent success (Wimby last year, Jan/Feb success this year), so I have no doubt in my mind, that she will bounce back again, and have more success after slumping post Wimbledon success this year.

I just hope she's learned some lessons, and this year, it doesn't take so long to bounce back, post Wimby. Lol
:) :( ;)

bruce goose
Sep 17th, 2011, 05:00 AM
The locals are the polar opposite of what you'd call 'pranksters',so it'd be highly believable if anyone ever DID agree to play along.This is what I'm picturing:

The Tokyo asst. tourney director....to Petra after she has won the final(we're assuming he speaks English half-decently): "Okay,Petra,you've been here one week now...long enough to learn some Japanese words.Every year,the tourney winner gives a short message in Japanese to the crowd to show her appreciation...maybe 1 1/2 minutes is sufficient.It would be BERRY big dishonor to our people if you don't do this.Good Ruck!:D".....of course,we'd need someone with a video cam to record her reaction:haha:....15 seconds would be a decent amount of time before revealing the ruse to our Petra:angel:..she'd enjoy it in the aftermath;)

18majors
Sep 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Time for Petra to play to her talent level again.

bruce goose
Sep 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Time for Petra to play to her talent level again.Not until her next tournament starts;we don't want Petra to peak on the practice courts and then taper off for the actual matches;)

Queen Petra Fan
Sep 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Agreed (though we can criticize Petra, and call her what we want)! :) :devil: :)

I had mentioned on a GM thread (for the desperate haters), that Petra will be back, because she's had two periods of slumping (July-Dec, 2010, March-April 2011), after excellent success (Wimby last year, Jan/Feb success this year), so I have no doubt in my mind, that she will bounce back again, and have more success after slumping post Wimbledon success this year.

I just hope she's learned some lessons, and this year, it doesn't take so long to bounce back, post Wimby. Lol
:) :( ;)

We all need to relax and remember Petra's only 21 and has only been playing tennis in earnest in for 5-6 years. Considering her background and unusual path to success her results have been phenomenal. Once her mental side catches up with her physical side she's going to be a great week to week, year to year player. The best is yet to come!!! No worries.

Coconut91
Sep 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM
The best is yet to come!!!

I'm sure of that. She's had a great year already and she's only 21... I can't even imagine how it will be when/if she becomes more consistent.

Moreover, imagine what she can do once Williamses/Clijsters/Li retire and she's left alone with Wozniacki & Co :devil: She will subjugate them all :lol:

18majors
Sep 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM
One more week to Tokyo tournament.

TimeyWimey
Sep 19th, 2011, 03:07 PM

correction: Petra will not get bye at Beijing unless she is in SF at Tokyo, since Beijing will start Sunday, the same day as the final at Tokyo

bruce goose
Sep 19th, 2011, 03:32 PM
correction: Petra will not get bye at Beijing unless she is in SF at Tokyo, since Beijing will start Sunday, the same day as the final at TokyoYour comment,that Petra will 'surely' get a Beijing bye,doesn't require correction if you're confident in her ability to achieve that SF or better;)

TimeyWimey
Sep 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Your comment,that Petra will 'surely' get a Beijing bye,doesn't require correction if you're confident in her ability to achieve that SF or better;)

yeah, i am about to correct this correction, but since bruce you've already quoted my correction, i'll just leave it there :cool:

Excelscior
Sep 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
We all need to relax and remember Petra's only 21 and has only been playing tennis in earnest in for 5-6 years. Considering her background and unusual path to success her results have been phenomenal. Once her mental side catches up with her physical side she's going to be a great week to week, year to year player. The best is yet to come!!! No worries.

You mean, you didn't agree with my wish Queen Petra Fan (that "I just hope she's learned some lessons, and this year, it doesn't take so long to bounce back, post Wimby. Lol")? You thought that was too much?

What's wrong with that? I thought I gave a very thoughtful, confident, optimistic, but balanced analysis (with a minor wish/hope thrown in)?

Mmmmmh. Maybe you agreed with that to (I don't know)? Lol.

Spring Pools
Sep 19th, 2011, 08:15 PM
IMO,she fears the one who DOESN'T fear HER...maybe it doesn't undo her every single time,but it causes her to lose her composure sometimes....I just got that vibe in that 2009 semi when she'd been previously wiping everyone out.She hit a few impressive winners vs. Kim...who basically responded,'Okay,whatever:yawn:---let's move on...'

When Kim was younger she wasn't so composed in big matches as she is now,and I'd love to see Petra show the same growth process....but sooner;)

And preferably not only win Wimby (Although I'd be happy if she won three Wimby's in a row as long as she doesn't have a baby... It wouldn't be fair to ask her boyfriend to take care of a kid that he's only a year or two older than :lol:)

Spring Pools
Sep 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I'm sure of that. She's had a great year already and she's only 21... I can't even imagine how it will be when/if she becomes more consistent.

Moreover, imagine what she can do once Williamses/Clijsters/Li retire and she's left alone with Wozniacki & Co :devil: She will subjugate them all :lol:

QYYZiaKZy04
This will be what happens every match! :devil:

Coconut91
Sep 19th, 2011, 10:15 PM
QYYZiaKZy04
This will be what happens every match! :devil:

That video never gets old. Really, I could watch it everyday :lol: Petra giving Caro a masterclass on grass must be the most satisfying thing in tennis :drool:

bruce goose
Sep 20th, 2011, 01:31 AM
That video never gets old. Really, I could watch it everyday :lol: Petra giving Caro a masterclass on grass must be the most satisfying thing in tennis :drool:Duhhhhh.....Sentido comun,por favor;);la victoria sobre Masha hace tres meses clasifica MUCHA mas alta que la una de 2010

Queen Petra Fan
Sep 20th, 2011, 08:52 AM
You mean, you didn't agree with my wish Queen Petra Fan (that "I just hope she's learned some lessons, and this year, it doesn't take so long to bounce back, post Wimby. Lol")? You thought that was too much?

What's wrong with that? I thought I gave a very thoughtful, confident, optimistic, but balanced analysis (with a minor wish/hope thrown in)?

Mmmmmh. Maybe you agreed with that to (I don't know)? Lol.

Hey, hey, hey, I like your posts. I had no problems at all with your comments. I wish the same for her too. I would be overjoyed to see it. As you say, the sooner the better.

However,I was just generally saying that we just have to relax and be patient, stay loyal, and wait for her to play herself out of this phase she's going through. It's anybody's guess as to how long it's going to take. She's not a machine, she's an apparently sensitive young woman and it's going to take a little time for her to wrap her head around what it means and takes to be an elite player. The demands and expectations on her have risen to a new level and now she needs to adjust to that and learn how to embrace it. It needs to become comfortable for her to live with and play through. For haters to be bashing her as she goes through this (for some) very tricky transition is retarded. It's all still so early in her career. One day the lioness will be back and then she and all of us will have the last laugh and be smiling again. :D

18majors
Sep 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
When is Petra going to Tokyo?

Excelscior
Sep 20th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hey, hey, hey, I like your posts. I had no problems at all with your comments. I wish the same for her too. I would be overjoyed to see it. As you say, the sooner the better.

However,I was just generally saying that we just have to relax and be patient, stay loyal, and wait for her to play herself out of this phase she's going through. It's anybody's guess as to how long it's going to take. She's not a machine, she's an apparently sensitive young woman and it's going to take a little time for her to wrap her head around what it means and takes to be an elite player. The demands and expectations on her have risen to a new level and now she needs to adjust to that and learn how to embrace it. It needs to become comfortable for her to live with and play through. For haters to be bashing her as she goes through this (for some) very tricky transition is retarded. It's all still so early in her career. One day the lioness will be back and then she and all of us will have the last laugh and be smiling again. :D

Oh OK.

Love your post to Queen Petra Fan.

I was just being plucky (albeit asking a legitimate question). I'm not sure if the plucky/cuteness always translates in writing though?

I get your point, for patience and regarding the misguided haters. Lol

Yes! The Lioness will be back with a roar!! I agree. But unfortunately we watch tennis now (if she continues to slump)!? Lol

Excelscior
Sep 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Why does it always seem like everyone else is always playing while Petra is not, though she and her team says she needs match play?

Every time I glance at GM, I see a bunch of her contemporaries playing in Seoul, or Canada, etc.

I know Petra has played a lot of matches this year, and she's scheduled for Davis Cup later this year, so her teams wants to rest her/take it easy. And even I agree she shouldn't be a tournament whore (and play the good ones). But Geesh, she virtually hasn't played since the end of June!

Lol.

TimeyWimey
Sep 21st, 2011, 02:57 AM
Why does it always seem like everyone else is always playing while Petra is not, though she and her team says she needs match play?

Every time I glance at GM, I see a bunch of her contemporaries playing in Seoul, or Canada, etc.

I know Petra has played a lot of matches this year, and she's scheduled for Davis Cup later this year, so her teams wants to rest her/take it easy. And even I agree she shouldn't be a tournament whore (and play the good ones). But Geesh, she virtually hasn't played since the end of June!

Lol.

maybe she just found an interesting novel and can not put it down

bruce goose
Sep 21st, 2011, 04:50 AM
....Or maybe it's just a case where the pressure of being expected to win was greater than she was initially prepared for...and she's still getting her head around it.That's no harsh judgment on Petra AT ALL;it's pretty tough to anticipate the aftermath of a rare,special,impactful achievement

18majors
Sep 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Most of top players only play Tokyo and Beijing.

bruce goose
Sep 21st, 2011, 02:50 PM
Most of top players only play Tokyo and Beijing.You're avoiding the main theme--which is that Petra has rarely played tennis since Wimby.She may have a few valid reasons for her absences,but it's been a less-than-full schedule by a long shot

Meelis
Sep 23rd, 2011, 06:38 AM
Her quarter in Tokyo:

(5)Petra Kvitova (CZE) v Bye
Qualifier v Kimiko Date-Krumm (JPN)
Vania King (USA) v Shuai Zhang (CHN)
Arantxa Rus (NED) v (11)Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)

(13)Julia Goerges (GER) v Pauline Parmentier (FRA)
Greta Arn (HUN) v Sofia Arvidsson (SWE)
Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA) v Petra Cetkovska (CZE)
(2)Maria Sharapova (RUS) v Bye

winnermax
Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
in Tokyo :lol:

Coconut91
Sep 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Oh lord... Possible 3r clash with Pavs :hysteric: Tennis gods hate me :lol:. If she beats Pavs, she better win the whole thing, preferibly thrashing Wozniacki in the final. Go Petra! Time to go back to your best tennis :cheer:

18majors
Sep 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
The first match is the tough one for Petra, she will go deep if she wins her first match.

TimeyWimey
Sep 23rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
The draw means very little for Petra, it all depends on her
Go Petra :drive:

TimeyWimey
Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
but if KDK through R1, CC is almost guaranteed for Petra in R2, which is good news

bruce goose
Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:19 PM
Possible 3r clash with Pavs :hysteric:. If she beats Pavs, she better win the whole thing. Go Petra! Time to go back to your best tennis :cheer:Was thinking the same thing when I first saw the draw;3rd Round is a little early to be facing such a tough opponent(though it's all according to the seeding),especially when you consider that Petra hasn't put together back-to-back strong matches in almost 3 months.Maybe Petra can give you/us the best of both worlds by beating someone OTHEr than Pavs

paulmara
Sep 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Mandy Minella (LUX) v Kimiko Date-Krumm

TimeyWimey
Sep 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Mandy Minella (LUX) v Kimiko Date-Krumm

gee, i wish Mandy could win, but i want Petra to play at CC :help:

18majors
Sep 24th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Looking for good things from Petra in Tokyo.

paulmara
Sep 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Petra Kvitová
Hi everyone. Greetings from Asia (from Tokyo). Here we have nice weather, the sun is shining, so hopefully it will last. I am looking forward to the match after a long pause, so I hope that it will be better than the U.S. Open. thanks so much for your support! Petra

http://www.facebook.com/petrakvitovaofficial?sk=wall&closeTheater=1

bruce goose
Sep 24th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Honestly,I don't care whether or not Petra gets CC by playing KDK as long as she performs well;this post-Wimby slump crap is getting kind of tiresome......so excellent play on a satellite court would be most welcome if Petra could sustain that improvement

TimeyWimey
Sep 25th, 2011, 02:20 AM
i'm tired of the stupid scoreboard, i want to watch her play, crap or not

bruce goose
Sep 25th, 2011, 04:19 AM
WOW!!Don't understand THAT mentality...and don't really WANT to,either.Am I supposed to be happy if Petra loses to mediocre Cheesy Tattoo Collector BMS by a 6-0,6-1 scoreline...just because I got to see her play live??Yeah,I understand that the sb is a drag,but we're Petra fans,first and foremost,last time I checked...so seeing her WIN takes precedence for me over whether or when I can catch her matches.I can so frequently download a match after it's been played(especially if I'm willing to pay for it),yet there's not a dang thing I can do to help Petra if she's performing poorly.In my book,having her succeed is way more important than my access to matches

18majors
Sep 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Petra isn't scheduled to play until Tuesday.

bruce goose
Sep 25th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Minella won the only matchup between her and KDK in 2009,but Petra hasn't played either one in the WTA ranks

Meelis
Sep 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Kvitova-Minella is scheduled to be third match on court 1 tomorrow.

18majors
Sep 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Go Petra, play like a true champion you're.

bruce goose
Sep 26th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Kvitova-Minella is scheduled to be third match on court 1 tomorrow.Let's hope that weather isn't an issue;not sure that Petra's current mindset would be ready for lots of stops and starts

TimeyWimey
Sep 26th, 2011, 09:22 PM
just FYI, this is only the second time Mandy Minella plays a top 20 player, she lost to Venus last year at Flushing Meadows

bruce goose
Sep 27th, 2011, 02:33 AM
just FYI, this is only the second time Mandy Minella plays a top 20 player, she lost to Venus last year at Flushing MeadowsYeah,Minella's biggest threat to Petra would probably be in a modeling posedown.In strictly tennis terms,anything other than a clear-cut victory would be disappointing from Petra:hearts:

Excelscior
Sep 27th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Hey Guys.

I have a question. And I'm sorry, if I didn't read up on the rules and by laws here, or didn't notice or enough pay attention.

What is this credits, banking stuff here (and why, how does it work)?

Some posters have points similar to their comments, and with others it's disproportionate. Why?

Secondly, I see a lot of people talk about getting banned.

Do people get banned for saying stupid things (along with people who don't like them, telling the moderators)? Cause I've seen people on here, talking about coming back from being banned, almost like it's part of the membership here periodically. I doubt it, but just had to ask. Lol

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions guys. Lol

And Go/good luck Petra, of course!!!!

bruce goose
Sep 27th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Am too stinkin' old to stay up half the night but I have confidence in Petra's ability to close this out.VAMOS,Petra:hearts:!:bounce:

Sasja
Sep 27th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Petra def Minella 6-2 6-3 :D

Excelscior
Sep 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Whew!

Petra wins 6-2 6-3.

And though she should of closed it out 6-2 (when she was up 15-40 on Minella's serve), she came back to break her, after being down 0-30 on her serve, to win the game.

So far so good. On to the next, and Ms. King.

Excelscior
Sep 27th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Only followed this on scoreboard. But from what I can see, this match was much better than Petra's other recent, Post Wimbledon first round matches.

She served much better (she wasn't broken). And her service points ended very quickly, it seemed. This is shown by Petra winning 86% of her first serves (and 80% of her second serves), despite only serving at 51% for the game. Petra only faced one break point, which she saved, for the match, as well.

Petra's return game, also seemed much better (a key sign, to how well she's going to play, along with her serve). Petra broke Minella 4 times, though she should of broken her two more times, especially the 2nd to last game of the match, where Petra was up 15-40 on Minella's serve. Petra, kinda redeemed herself from that one, by being down 0-30, and coming back/closing out the game, the second set and the match at 6-2 6-3. Petra won 63% of Minella's second serve points, many times seemingly quickly. This appears Petra was "going for her shot" on second serve returns; a vast improvement over recent play, if true. Nonetheless, Petra could of done better, only winning 34% of Minella's 1st service points. Hard to tell if that mostly Minella's play, or Petra's drop off/mental lapse (it appeared Minella played harder in the second set). But it's a start, compared to Petra's recent, up and down return game. Again, there's room for improvement. Minella saved 7/11 BP's. When Petra's on, the numbers are usually the opposite, in her favor.

Ground stroke wise, it's hard to comment, cause I couldn't see it. But the good thing for Petra fans is, the points seem to end quickly. And the ones that didn't, Petra seemed to win as well. A big improvement from opening matches during the North American Hardcourt season.

She also appeared to fight much harder, when being down in this match (early in her service games, and particularly on Minella's serve, when Mandy got out front, early or threatened to hold) compared to recent times. Petra came back, like the one in control and normal Petra. We'll see?

The match lasted 1hr 5 min.

It's only Minella. But it's a start, for Petra.

Now on to Vania King, who beat Pav's today.

TimeyWimey
Sep 27th, 2011, 07:42 AM
So glad Petra holds all her serves today, the very first time since the USO Series, although losing one game after up 40-0 again makes me worry a bit (2am in the morning, with the scoreboard on the phone)

Keep going Petra!:drive:

paulmara
Sep 27th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I like good morning news. 65 minutes and good service stats.

Vania King in Seoul beat Date-Krumm and Bartoli, lost to Zakopalova

RetroDonkey
Sep 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Not that Petra has really played that many matches since Wimbledon, but this is obviously a good step forward. Wish I could have watched her, obviously... but it's a good win, even if it was against Mandy Minella (a basic nobody). I just hope she can string together a few wins and get some confidence back. That's got to be the only thing missing, because I think we all know how damn talented she is.

The world of tennis seems to be in a strange state right now. Bartoli, who was playing amazing tennis up until Wimbledon can hardly win a match... Na Li is about as good as Jill Craybas at the moment... and right now I'm watching Stosur get destroyed by Kirilenko, who albeit is playing a very good match. Just seems like a kind of strange moment in women's tennis right now... nobody is really dominating.

Coconut91
Sep 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Just seems like a kind of strange moment in women's tennis right now... nobody is really dominating.

Better then. This season was all about Petra's breakthrough, but next year she can start domination . :D

I'm glad the serve is working. Would've loved seeing her play Pavs, they always have good matches, but one of them had to lose anyway, and I like their H2H just how it is :lol: She should beat King now, and then she should beat Masha or whoever makes it from that section. Will be fun :cool:

RetroDonkey
Sep 27th, 2011, 10:14 AM
She should beat King now, and then she should beat Masha or whoever makes it from that section. Will be fun :cool:

She should have slaughtered Dulgheru but we all know that didn't happen. King is playing really good tennis right now... but Kvitova should still destroy her if she is at only 70% of her max.

TimeyWimey
Sep 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
^ agreed, "should" means nothing here, Petra needs to fight tmw to earn a spot in QF, as determined as Maria Kirilenko just have shown

Meelis
Sep 27th, 2011, 11:16 AM
What is this credits, banking stuff here (and why, how does it work)?

We used to have a vBookie, where people had a chance to (virtually) gamble with their credits. But WTA forced Verticalscope to shut it down and now credits are absolutely useless. You still get them, when you post, start a thread, someone replies in your thread, vote in a poll etc.

Do people get banned for saying stupid things (along with people who don't like them, telling the moderators)? Cause I've seen people on here, talking about coming back from being banned, almost like it's part of the membership here periodically. I doubt it, but just had to ask. Lol

No, getting banned periodically is not part of the membership :lol:

18majors
Sep 27th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Vania King is playing like a junior Wozniacki nowadays, Petra nees to be careful.

Coconut91
Sep 27th, 2011, 01:59 PM
^ agreed, "should" means nothing here, Petra needs to fight tmw to earn a spot in QF, as determined as Maria Kirilenko just have shown

Of course "should" doesn't mean she will. Nobody said it will be a walk in the park, she'll have to do a good match. If she does, she'll win.

GoofyDuck
Sep 27th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Happy about this win from Petra :yeah:

Petra usually has to get in the groove early on in the tournaments so I'm a little bit worried about the matchup with King.
If she gets through however I feel confident about the rest of the tournie :)

Excelscior
Sep 27th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Petra third up Weds, on court 1

No TV for you Petra fans (unless/until she wins the Vania King match)!? Wonk Wonk Wonk.

They could of had her first up, on Centre Court, instead of Zvonareva, Benesova; but oh well!

I actually think they did it this way, to balance their court audiences (sacrificing Zvonareva for the 1st 11am match, though it sucks for us), so they could have a decent match on Court 1 in the afternoon.

The two Centre Court matches after, are understandable (though Kirilenko, Ivanovic, is just a beauty pageant/model runway on hardcourt).

iPatty
Sep 27th, 2011, 03:27 PM
She beat King without expanding too much energy (playing a very sloppy match herself) at RG so I'm thinking tomorrow won't be much of a problem either.

TimeyWimey
Sep 27th, 2011, 03:40 PM
^don't forget Petra beat Dulgheru easily in Madrid R1

cosmoose
Sep 28th, 2011, 12:09 AM
on paper, Kvitova vs. King is like heavyweight vs. flyweight :)

Barktra
Sep 28th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Two of my faves :sobbing:

Petra should win because Vania is going to hit in her strike zone.

bruce goose
Sep 28th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Well,perhaps the main difference is that,even in her WINS,post-Wimby,Petra wasn't playing remarkably well so the losses that soon followed weren't a tremendous shock.On the other hand,Petra apparently did okay in yesterday's victory,so we might have just cause for expecting decent form again:)

Spring Pools
Sep 28th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Well, Kvitova just won 6-1 7-6 (4)

paulmara
Sep 28th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Second set : Petra had 4 breakballs but didn´t convert them. 5:6 2 doublefalls lead to 30 : 40 and 3 breakballs for King . Petra saved them. In tiebreak 3:0 then 3:3

TimeyWimey
Sep 28th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Once again, Petra holds all her serves
5 DFs in set 2, BP conversion is very low though (2/8, 5 consecutive BP wasted)
Vania beat Bartoli and Pavly, so tough match
so happy that she is finally in QF during this tough hardcourt season :)

paulmara
Sep 28th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Next is Maria
She beat Goerges 76 76 breaks 5:5 Maria was up in second didn´t hold her service. 11 DF

18majors
Sep 28th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Petra is rounding into form, will play Maria next.

Excelscior
Sep 28th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Very interesting match for Petra, against the recently hot Vania King.

Though I watched this on Livescore. And you're never 100% sure, I think my take on it, gives a very fair picture/portrayal.

Petra raced out to a 3-0 and 5-0 lead to start the match in 9 and 15 minutes. Petra proceeded to win the first set 6-1, in 25 min.

In the second set, King seemed to buckle down and held her serve much better (saved 6-8 break points; all in the 2nd set). But luckily for Petra, for the second straight game, she did not lose her serve either (despite 6 double faults to 1 ace). To her credit though, the doubles faults never really hurt her, or came at the worst time, so she managed it well, and didn't allow herself to get broken at any time. Petra showed toughness here. Yesterday, she had 3 aces and only 1 double fault.

Speaking about Petra's serve; her 1st serve % was 71, she won 81% of her 1st serves and 55% of her second serves. In most of her service games, she rushed through the serve, and seemingly got up to 30-0, 40-15 leads. I think her 55% 2nd serve win percentage, was a result of Petra being more careful after her double faults (during the 2nd set), and King taking advantage of it.

Ironically, Petra could of won the first set 6-0, as she went up 0-30 and 15-40 on Kings serve, but Vania held on, till Petra could serve it out.

This trend seemed to continue in the second set, as King seemed to buckle down, and would not allow Petra to break her, despite Petra seemingly being up 0-30 every King service game. Obviously, I couldn't see why on Livescore, but I'll chalk it up to King playing up to her most recent standards.

To Petra's credit, she didn't crumble, and continued serving well till she won in the tiebreak. Now Kvitova, could of made things much easier on herself if she would of broke King in one of those 2nd set games, she was up 0-30 (including the first game of the 2nd set), but King fought and battled.

On Petra's return game, she won 43% of 1st serves, and only 33% of Kings second serves. That's mainly from the second set, and King's play, cause Petra blitzed her in the first set.

In the tie break, Petra raced out to a 3-0 lead. King then tied it 3-3. Then Petra went up 5-4. And served it out on her serve 7-4. You don't know how many times, I was wondering whether or not she would blow the 2nd set, but had faith in her serve to bail her out. And it did.

All in all, I can't say this was a bad game for Petra. Cause even when she was missing break opportunities in the 2nd set (0-5 on 2nd set BP opportunities), she continually raced through her service games, and held serve with no discernible disappointment. This indicates to me, that King must of just raised her play, and Petra responded, by hanging in there.

As a fan, it's one of those matches you wish would end, cause you didn't want it to get any closer, or go into a third set (cause you never know what's could happen), but you felt good about it and her performance (albeit with out actually seeing the match), when it was over.

It was one of those mentally tough, straight setters every good player needs (especially one who was playing as poorly as Petra, previously), to advance in a tournament, without it taking too much out of them. Hopefully, this will make Petra breathe easily now, and relax?

The match lasted 1hr 23 min. The first set lasted, all of 25 minutes.

Sharapova up next, who just beat Georges in two straight set tiebreakers.

Coconut91
Sep 28th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Great waking up to these news :) Haven't seen Maria play except a couple of games vs Tanasugarn. It seems she's not doing very well. Serve may be crucial again.

I have faith in Petra. :) I assume we'll be able to watch the match?

Jan_S
Sep 28th, 2011, 10:52 AM
With Maria Sharapova not before 5:00 PM, see

http://www.toray-ppo.co.jp/tournament/pdf/2011wtaii_oop8.pdf.

Eurosport can't miss this one. :-)

paulmara
Sep 28th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I made quick counting and it seems Petra qualified to Istanbul

18majors
Sep 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Petra will play Thursday NB 5:00 PM on Center Court.

Valanga
Sep 28th, 2011, 03:49 PM
win it all:)

GoofyDuck
Sep 28th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Tommorow 10 AM CET :)

Can't wait to finally SEE how Petra is playing.

Excelscior
Sep 28th, 2011, 10:04 PM
You're lucky.

I got to either stay up reaaal late, or get up reaaal early, to catch this thing live, or watch ESPN repeats several hours later in the morning (if I don't fall asleep trying to stay up and miss the live action in the first place). Nah. I should be able to pull up ESPN repeats anytime. Lol

The match starts 4am Eastern Standard Time, US. That's Crazy! I guess, I'll figure/work it out! Lol

TimeyWimey
Sep 28th, 2011, 11:51 PM
You're lucky.

I got to either stay up reaaal late, or get up reaaal early, to catch this thing live, or watch ESPN repeats several hours later in the morning (if I don't fall asleep trying to stay up and miss the live action in the first place). Nah. I should be able to pull up ESPN repeats anytime. Lol

The match starts 4am Eastern Standard Time, US. That's Crazy! I guess, I'll figure/work it out! Lol

Ex, is ESPN3 still working for you? don't know why, it is not working here this week, it says failed to link my account to a TWC subscription, last week it worked fine :(

Excelscior
Sep 29th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Yeah, it still works for me. When's the last time you been on?

I know they moved it their website now (or something like that). But if you (or they) have an issue, with your cable operator, you could have problems, cause I had a hard time getting them, until I got Verizon and left time warner.

I would try them again. But if you're using a old link or something? Don't! They moved. Do a Google search for ESPN 3, then click on one of the links, for it to take you there.

The site looks slightly different now. Hope that helps.

bruce goose
Sep 29th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Folks,I know there are some of you who'd be particularly galled if Petra lost to her next opponent...but,seriously,these are the kind of marquee matchups that make tennis so rewarding for our small-town Lioness when she wins...like she did in the Big One a few months ago.A victory tonight might add more,dare we say,'bandwagoners' on the Petra Express:)

GoofyDuck
Sep 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM
So it begun...

paulmara
Sep 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Sharapova win toss and choose to recieve / Petra in dark violet

GoofyDuck
Sep 29th, 2011, 08:13 AM
She seems very calm :yeah:

held serve 1-0

paulmara
Sep 29th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Eurosport: Kvitova not is the same physical condition step slower

service very good 2:1

Whau 2 nice winners

love game 3:2

paulmara
Sep 29th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Petra First struggling on service 2DF 1 breakball saved agressive play first dog scream ace 4:3

Kotyza on court : talking about importance of first service somehow get the ball in and about return not playing with full swing

Shrapova felt down after sevice reply auuu ankle

retired

It´s a pity. Match was good. Petra is not playing like during Us tour. Very positive.

Excelscior
Sep 29th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure Petra was looking a step slow in this match.

The ESPN 3 announcer actually thought Petra was moving well. I thought she was moving well to. But maybe she wasn't returning as well (though she was still returning well), cause she was a step slow sometime. Match ended too early to tell.

But she definitely was swinging the ball, and serving much better than in North American Series.

You got the sense, that they were only playing till Petra broke Sharapova, either through a double fault, or Petra's return game, before Petra held on to win the 1st set.

I hope she can put it together against Zvonareva, who she can be so hit and miss with.

I hope Sharapova recovers for Beijing.

Vikapower
Sep 29th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Deceiving outcome of the match but it's nice to see Petra back to a decent level.

TimeyWimey
Sep 29th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Kotyza on court : talking about importance of first service somehow get the ball in and about return not playing with full swing

thanks for this translation!

Excelscior
Sep 29th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Petra First struggling on service 2DF 1 breakball saved agressive play first dog scream ace 4:3

Shrapova felt down after sevice reply auuu ankle

retired

It´s a pity. Match was good. Petra is not playing like during Us tour. Very positive.

Paulmara.

On the return, was he saying NOT TO FULL SWING (OVER HIT), or he was telling Petra YOU NEED TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH A FULL SWING???

Thx

Excelscior
Sep 29th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Hey Reyesjzz

Did you get that ESPN 3 issue worked out (or you didn't even bother trying and watched on Eurosport)?

Remember. They changed the actual site now. So if you had a old link, you'll have to do a Google search for ESPN 3, then click on the link for it at ESPNgo.com

It's usually the first choice at the top of the search.

paulmara
Sep 29th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Kotyza Little less swing on return

Excelscior
Sep 29th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Petra first up Thursday, on Centre Court at 1pm, Tokyo time, vs Zvonareva.

paulmara
Sep 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM
New number 5 Petra needs 5 more points to matematically eliminate her last opponent Radwanska from Istanbul race (who could theoretically received a wild card in Linz or Osaka and she also has to win Tokyo, Peking, Moscow and Linz/Osaka ) It seems that first round in Peking means 5 points.

WTA representatives already confirmed in Tokyo: Petra Kvitova will play 2011 WTA Championships in Istanbul. Congratulations!

http://www.facebook.com/petrakvitovaofficial?sk=wall&closeTheater=1

paulmara
Sep 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Kvitova will now face fourth-ranked Vera Zvonareva of Russia, who defeated Maria Kirilenko 6-3, 6-3, in Friday’s semifinals.

“I played her already three times, the last time in Madrid on clay when I beat her,” Kvitova said. “She’s a very good player. She has a great serve and hits the ball well so it will be a tough match.”

Head to Head: 2-2 with Zvonareva's 2 wins coming on Hard Court and Kvitova's 2 wins coming on clay.

2009: Indian Wells R32 - Zvonareva 63 61
2010: Rome R64 - Kvitova 64 60
2011: Australian Open QF - Zvonareva 62 64
2011: Madrid R16 - Kvitova 61 64

paulmara
Sep 29th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Petra about WTA Championships „ I´m happy. Very happy. Together with Fed cup final it will be an extraordinary end of the season „
About number 5 ranking „It´s nice to hear it, but it is only a number. For me it is importatnt that I play my tennis.“
After Us open she stayed in New York for few days. To clean her head. „I returned to Prostějov excited to play tennis. I needed to enjoy the game very much.“
There were some doubts in Tokyo. „ I confess I wasn´t in my skin.“ Win over Minnela and King helped her. „ I like quicker surface in Tokyo“
Petra hasn´t seen Maria´s fall. She was concentrated on return. „ Then I saw her getting up and she was holding her ankle. I didn´t know it was so serious. She was silent.„ Then she saw Maria´s ankle. „It was not pleasant. I hope it is not serious. I wouldn´t wish that on her.
About Zvonareva „ She plays quick from both sides, she attacks even in defense, I have to concentrate on evry ball

http://sport.idnes.cz/konec-sezony-bude-mimoradny-tusi-kvitova-turnaj-mistryn-uz-ma-jisty-1jk-/tenis.aspx?c=A110929_122855_tenis_ma

TimeyWimey
Sep 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hey Reyesjzz

Did you get that ESPN 3 issue worked out (or you didn't even bother trying and watched on Eurosport)?

Remember. They changed the actual site now. So if you had a old link, you'll have to do a Google search for ESPN 3, then click on the link for it at ESPNgo.com

It's usually the first choice at the top of the search.

no solution from TWC, now i have to use the VPN of my University every time i want to watch ESPN3, one extra step :(
TWC really sucks badly

Excelscior
Sep 29th, 2011, 09:43 PM
no solution from TWC, now i have to use the VPN of my University every time i want to watch ESPN3, one extra step :(
TWC really sucks badly

Oh. I can answer that one for you.

If you have Time Warner Cable (I used to), chances are you can't get it. I never did. But now that I have Verizon Fios, I can get it. Lol

bruce goose
Sep 30th, 2011, 02:24 AM
The victory rings somewhat hollow due to the default,but Petra will have to beat two worthy opponents,in the semis and Final,to take this Tokyo title,so she'll have earned it by week's end:cool:

jiri-nedved
Sep 30th, 2011, 05:13 AM
terrible from Petra. was up 5-1 and lost 1st set 6-7

Sasja
Sep 30th, 2011, 06:06 AM
terrible from Petra. was up 5-1 and lost 1st set 6-7

Lost 6-7 0-6 :sobbing:

Couldn't watch it. Can anyone explained what happened there after 5-1, choke or injury? :unsure:

paulmara
Sep 30th, 2011, 07:56 AM
In the morning there was a very interesting member.
0 posts
user name BChintapalli
I like the idea it was her. Don´t want to know the cruel true.

bobbychin Bobby Chintapalli
I imagine the folks over at TennisForum's Hello Kvitty subforum aren't too happy right now.

Can you imagine being Petra Kvitova's #1 fan during that set? Definite ouch.

http://twitter.com/#!/bobbychin

note Very interesting 2 days later she deleted her tweet. Don´t know the reason but it is definitely interesting.

GM I hate that poll.

Coconut91
Sep 30th, 2011, 09:46 AM
In the morning there was a very interesting member.
0 posts
user name BChintapalli
I like the idea it was her. Don´t want to know the cruel true.

I imagine the folks over at TennisForum's Hello Kvitty subforum aren't too happy right now.

Can you imagine being Petra Kvitova's #1 fan during that set? Definite ouch.

http://twitter.com/#!/bobbychin

GM I hate that poll.

:lol: So she even knows this place? :lol: Well, at least Petra can afford being hot and cold, as her top level allowes her to win slams at 21, unlike poor Vera, who's been struggling for years and has yet to win one at 27... Seriously, i like Vera, but it's so easy to diss a player. :rolleyes:

I honestly didn't have much faith Petra would win as Vera seems a bad matchup for her on hard, especially outdoors. Actually I'm surprised she made it that far, so no big deal. I can accept Petra's "inconsistency" if she's going to give us brilliant performances like Madrid or Wimbly in return. :drool:

And of course, she's got time on her hands to make things like this don't happen to her again in the future :)

Sometimes I wonder, though, why anyone would diss the only youngsteer that has been able to win a slam in years. With all the complaints about the "current state of the WTA", I thought people would be glad to have a player like Petra around. :shrug:

Vikapower
Sep 30th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Well, I saw a repeat of the match on french ES - absolutely no rhythm whatsoever, very approximate footwork often way to close to the ball for the type of shots she attempts...

This is really very troublesome. She clearly isn't mentally and physically prepared - I found her intensity to be very low sometimes she would bring it up hit some a good shot and fall back into that lost lethargic like attitude - just no confidence... and she was 5*-3 40-15, that first set was hers...

I really wonder now what role plays these 7 games only to Maria in her performance today... anyways for the positive side, she made the SF so this should be re-comforting and hopefully she builds on that.

I honestly didn't have much faith Petra would win as Vera seems a bad matchup for her on hard, especially outdoors.

I don't think so... Petra at this level of mediocrity is a good match up for any top 10-20 or even top 100 player who at least have that certain honesty and respect for her actual so-so form to be very consistent and solid off the back court...

Zvonareva didn't do nothing spectacular [...] don't get me wrong, did she have to ? Obviously no - even in the first set, I didn't find both players to be that good and Petra was 5-1 once Zvonareva started being more comfortable and solid of the back, Petra was just lame...

Any ways I'm certain she'll find her form back just a matter of time, this performance doesn't help but she's on the right way - SF in P5 that's a positive thing to take. :shrug:

Lost 6-7 0-6 :sobbing:

Couldn't watch it. Can anyone explained what happened there after 5-1, choke or injury? :unsure:

IMO she's just not mentally in it, I mean being 5-1 should normally boost confidence or something even when not playing 100% seemed to have operated the inverse operation here...

I mean even the very easy volley she gave the set away with to Zvonareva in the tie-breaker (volley she should have taken with the BH side FMPOV) was just really significant of her actual mental state in oppositions to "top players"...

But hey, it's SF she's in the good way just needs to play more again, win more and the rhythm will be back for me this is what she seems to lack the most.

TimeyWimey
Sep 30th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Petra :hug:

jiri-nedved
Sep 30th, 2011, 01:12 PM
That was poor from Petra, i never saw her other matches but surel she must have played better than that before?

Even when she was 5-1 up the only thing she was doing well was serving and she was lucky Zvonareva was playing poor as well. Once her serve was gone and Zvonareva started playing ok she looked terrible. Petra is great to watch when in form but so frustrating when playing like this.

TimeyWimey
Sep 30th, 2011, 03:12 PM
just finished reading Nadal's RAFA, although not quite a good time since he has a huge Djokovic problem himself, an excerpt

During a match, you are in a permanent battle to fight back your everyday vulnerabilities, bottle up your human feelings, the more bottled up they are, the greater your chances of winning

it is no less for Petra as experience to bottle up her human feelings, how it feels after losing 11 out of 12 games after up 5-1, etc, etc

Never give up, Petra, learn to silence the doubts and fears and disguise your weakness from yourself and from your rival :drive:

Excelscior
Sep 30th, 2011, 04:02 PM
This is why you can never take sports too seriously. It's matches like this, that will gut you, if you do! Lol. SMH.

Petra was up 5-1 in the first set, and was up 40-30 to win the first set, and kept flubbing set point opportunities the rest of the set, after that. I immediately sensed something was up.

Possible Reasons? At that moment (up 5-1) the announcer said (and showed us the flags), that the wind was picking up greatly. From that point on Petra kept losing her serve, and couldn't keep the ball in play; while Zvonareva's play improved, as Petra's went down. I knew this was tennis, and recent Petra, and knew she needed to get that 1 game for the set, which seemed almost assured by the score, and how well she was playing. I knew if she won the first set, she would of probably won the match, cause all the 4 matches between the two players were straight set victories (with Vera's 2 on hard court, and Petra's 2 on clay). The other player always seemed to have a melt down, after losing the first set. So it was a race to see who would win the first set.

Vera was so dejected and embarrassed when she was down 1-5 (from a combination of Petra's great play, and her terrible 1st serve %, that Petra was teeing off on). Vera just drooped on the sideline with two towels completely over her head, to fight the anger and disappointment. Petra was completely dominating every facet of the match. And she won the matches first 14 of 16 total points. Wow!

It was a incredible turn around. She was looking so good!

Petra broke Zvonareva 3x in a row to start the match. And was serving well, then it completely fell apart. Her serve, just left her. And she seemed to get down on her self, and not fight. It's like she seemingly gave up, like she did against Dulgheru at the Open.

As of late, Petra seems to lose her confidence a lot quicker, and is not willing to fight when challenged, it seems. Its' almost like, when she plays well or give it her best shot, she doesn't expect people to challenge her anymore (remember her comments post Wimby funk last year on "expecting to win every match"?). So lately she appears to slump when they do, if she's not too particularly mentally strong, focused or confident that day? Maybe it's because she lost to Zvonareva in Australia earlier this year, then bad feelings/memories started to creep in? She shouldn't have; cause this court was much better suited to her than Australia was. Zvonareva was over matched in that first set. Vera should of never won, or at least in two sets, if she did. Petra just fell apart. That should of never happened (even if Petra was at 65-70%). Though she was dominating early, she still didn't look 100% comfortable (on when to come to the net, move forward, missing her normally reliable back hand, etc.). But her serve was so dominant, it didn't matter. Vera got blitzed!

This is so reminiscent, of her French open fold-a-roo to Li Na. But at least she won the first set in that one 6-1 (and was up 3-0) before losing the third set.

Once Petra lost the tiebreaker, I lost my stream, and immediately went to bed, cause I knew at that point it was a free fall. And I wasn't going to stay up to follow the massacre on Live Score. Her 2nd set bagel is so fitting. How could you lose a 5-1 1st set lead, lose in the subsequent tiebreak 7-1, then comeback to win the match?

And what is it with her and Zvonareva on hardcourts? If Sam Stosur is Vera's master, then how could Petra not be (though in this match, Petra lost confidence in her serve; I Know. I know)? And Petra actually has a back hand! To be honest, Petra was making errors on her back hand as well, after 5-1. Masha's (and even more similar player to Petra) is Vera's master, as well. WTF?

After she lost the tie breaker 7-1, I checked Petra's subforum to see any comments (and there were none); but I guess it was too early for Europe (though it shouldn't of been for North Americans).

Petra lost a great opportunity to beat the #4, 3 and 2 ranked players in front of her (I understand Vika lost), and gain/separate between them in the rankings and mentally, possibly? Oh well.

There is some good you can take out of this. Petra won some matches, climbed up to the number 5 ranking, got a bye for China and will hopefully take this disappointment and match play to win Beijing, as she did Eastbourne to win Wimbledon. We'll see? It wouldn't surprise me.

Petra's still on the rise and her mini-comeback. But needs more match play.

SMH

Good Luck in Beijing.

TimeyWimey
Sep 30th, 2011, 04:30 PM
This is so reminiscent, of her French open fold-a-roo to Li Na.

Absolutely

paulmara
Sep 30th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Petra Kvitova
I should have won the first set, it is without discussion. I don´t know what went wrong. When I was 5 1 up I stopped playing my game. She came back and started play much better than me.
On clay she doesn´t move so well like here, so she had more time for winners. She plays very well on hard courts and she is hard to beat.

http://www.tenisportal.cz/zpravy/kvitova-neudrzela-vedeni-5-1-zahodila-setboly-a-do-finale-nepostoupila-8829/

Excelscior
Sep 30th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks Paulmara.

It was just a Li Na-French Open type Fold-a-Roo. There's nothing we can do!!

I think it was a combination of Petra winning too easily early, losing concentration, and then her confidence, when Zvonareva started to comeback and play better. But despite all that (including the increased windy conditions); there's no excuse for not winning a set, you're leading 5-1. None!

If she would of won that first set, she would of almost assuredly won the match (based off of past matches with Vera, all ending in straight set wins).

The only thing that will lessen the blow, is if she goes and win China. We'll see?

But she lost an exceptional opportunity to climb up the ranking/gain on/separate from the other top 5, finally beat Vera on Harcourt, and increase her confidence exponentially (by making another final/winning a tournament). But what can you do? And we'll see?

Welcome to the top 5 Petra.

HowardH
Sep 30th, 2011, 05:23 PM
She's had bad runs of form before. I'm sure she'll eventually find more form. This SF run is already better than what she has been doing of late. If she starts doing poorly in all the slams and her ranking begins to slip then that will be a cause for concern. Right now I just accept her as an unpredictable player who can play great or poorly. It would be nice for her to do better, but Li Na wasn't able to, and neither has Sam yet. It's quite hard being a surprise slam winner. The expectations change so fast.

Wind would also definitely affect her more than Vera. Vera is an excellent wind player.

bruce goose
Oct 1st, 2011, 06:04 AM
After Vera's loss to Aga,it's hard for me to not say 'shoulda,coulda,woulda' to Petra--even though we have no way of empirically proving how she would have fared in that Finals matchup.

No complaints about the content of the posts themselves,yet the last page of Petra's photo thread contains only 5 posts with pics and TEN that are pic-less(many of which are VERY wordy).The insight itself was decent,but it seems to me that we have plenty of threads in which to discuss Petra's tennis...and that the Picture Thread ought to be more photo-oriented...just my two cents here:angel:

Excelscior
Oct 1st, 2011, 06:04 AM
Aga wins. Not surprising.

Here's what I wrote in the GM match result thread, after.

Dedicated to the few Bepa fans (Patrick345, Tennisfan83 and Bepamaria), who actually thought she really beat Petra yesterday, instead of Kvitova inexplicably self destructing after being up 5-1 in the first set and wiping up the floor with Bepa at 5-1 and double set point in the first set.

Aga just finished the job today, along with 35 unforced errors for Vera. She got no preparation against Kvitova. Cause Petra just gave her a brutal beat down for that 5-1 lead, then gifted the rest of the match to Bepa. Vera did nothing yesterday (and today). She was a total bystander the entire Kvitova match. Where was Bepa's supposed return of serve today, against soft serving Aga?

Petra you should be woefully ashamed of yourself after you see this result, and should plan to make the final/win Beijing off of general principle.

OK. I got that out. Exhale. Lol

Anyway, congrats to both of them for making the final, especially Aga for winning it.

Good for them!!

See ya in Beijing.

paulmara
Oct 1st, 2011, 06:09 PM
WTA Championships
Kvitova "I've had a great year and I'm so happy to qualify. My game has come a long way this year - mentally, technically, and tactically - I can't point to one thing that made the difference. This will be my first time at the Championships and I don't know what to expect, but I'm looking forward to playing indoors on hardcourt, my favorite surface."

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20111001/four-more-wta-stars-headed-to-istanbul_2256076_2469019

RetroDonkey
Oct 1st, 2011, 09:10 PM
WTA Championships
Kvitova "I've had a great year and I'm so happy to qualify. My game has come a long way this year - mentally, technically, and tactically - I can't point to one thing that made the difference. This will be my first time at the Championships and I don't know what to expect, but I'm looking forward to playing indoors on hardcourt, my favorite surface."

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20111001/four-more-wta-stars-headed-to-istanbul_2256076_2469019

I love Petra... but she can expect to get her ass kicked if she played like she did against Zvonareva. It was the 2nd time that her thoughts got in the way against Zvonareva this year, as she was absent against her in Australia, as well.

As for people wondering about how she would have done against Radwanska... on a normal day, she would destroy Radwanska. That is, a normal day with Petra oozing confidence. Basically all Petra needs to do is keep the ball in play... she hits so hard that people can't hang with her. When she raced out to 5-1 against Zvonareva, some of the balls were coming right back at Zvonareva, but she was late as hell and spraying her shots wide. It's pure power tennis and Radwanska's cute style just wouldn't match up on a normal day...

... having said that, Radwanska would have only needed to get a return back and watch Petra go long with her 2nd shot if she played like she did against Zvonareva. I think Radwanska's game is very similar to Vinci's. If either of them had a bit more power, they'd be top notch players. Still very entertaining to watch, and really intelligent players, just that they could never hang with someone like Petra if Petra can find the court.

YEAR END REQUEST FOR PETRA:

Once the season is over, wear ankle weights the entire offseason. Around the house, to the shops, in training, EVERYWHERE. Next season, her footwork would be so much better. Also, go to a happy place, have a few Radegasts and watch inspirational movies a lot, like Rocky, The Natural, Rudy, Braveheart... shit like that that makes you believe that you're the best and that you can do anything.

Not sure if everyone else is entirely ready to admit that she is the best player right now, but I am... only frustrated that we see it in spurts and not every day :( God only knows what she will play like next week, but hope she bounces back well.

bruce goose
Oct 2nd, 2011, 05:22 AM
Against Arvidsson,Petra has a 1-1 H2H record,and I'd honestly classify the Swede as a rather limited player.Let's hope that Petra isn't TOO happy over her YEC qualification...and is ready to play some kick-ass tennis:cool:

TimeyWimey
Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
Against Arvidsson,Petra has a 1-1 H2H record,and I'd honestly classify the Swede as a rather limited player.Let's hope that Petra isn't TOO happy over her YEC qualification...and is ready to play some kick-ass tennis:cool:

never watched sofia's game, only heard she crashed out in US Open R1 as well

paulmara
Oct 2nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Petra is playing with Arvidsson as the last match (centre court) on Monday
not before 7:30 PM local time is Roddick´s match followed by Petra´s match

http://info.chinaopen.com.cn/PDF2011/2011_China_Open_Schedule_3_EN.pdf

Arvidsson beat Petra in Poitiers ITF in 2010 7:5 6:4 and in 2008 she lost in Curych 2:6 1:6. In 2007 Sofia used to be overweight. Now she is much fitter. She is 176cm (5 ft 9 in)tall brunette. In Tokyo lost to Arn, in Quebec lost to Watson and beat Bovina.On Us oepn she lost to Stosur in round one. Her best performance of the year was a semifinal in the WTA Swedish Open on clay, losing to compatriot Johanna Larsson (but she was 2:6 down when Wozniakci retired )

TimeyWimey
Oct 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
that would be COLD

Excelscior
Oct 2nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
The Good News is Petra Is playing on Centre Court (and it appears to be playing fast).

The bad News is, she's the second match in the night session.

Why? Lol

They should of had her play first, then put on the men second. And Roddick, Anderson is a good match, so it's not like I foresee a blow out from either guy. We'll see? Get some rest during the day/eve Petra.

Hopefully, she'll be prepared (I guess), since she knows she won't be playing till at least 10pm (but more likely 11pm) in a empty stadium.

I can also watch it here, between 10am-12pm in America.

Petra didn't play well on Centre Court (then moved to Armstrong) at the US Open. But hopefully, the matches in Tokyo and the empty stadium, will settle her down (and the loss to Vera, and her subsequent beat down to Radwanska, will make her mad and play hard).

Good Luck Petra!!

Excelscior
Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Petra comments at China Open Press Conference, Oct 2 2011

2011-10-02 20:19

World No. 6 and reigning Wimbledon Women’s Singles champion, Petra Kvitova, believes there is no clear front-runner in women’s tennis, in a press conference at 2011 Beijing China Open.

“We don’t have one player who can beat everyone all the time; everybody can beat everybody, so the game is very open,” she said.

Kvitova is the first Grand Slam champion born in the 1990s, however she is ranked behind Caroline Wozniacki, who is yet to win a major title.

“She didn’t win a Grand Slam, but she can and she will for sure; I think she needs some time,” the Wimbledon champion added.

After Wimbledon, Kvitova had a disappointing moment on hard court. She said she did not feel comfortable playing on the US Open hard courts but felt comfortable in Tokyo after taking a break.

“There I felt okay, and played my game finally there,” she said. “So hopefully it will continue here.”

Fifth-seeded Kvitova has a bye into the second round where she will play with Sofia Arvidsson from Sweden.

By Peter Schmidt and Suet Lee

Corswandt
Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
The obscure Slovak journeywoman Petrikova Kvitoslavacek getting main stadium court billing over The World's Most Popular and Universally Loved Sports Star, The Talented and Beautiful Ana Ivanovic. Outrageous.

Problem is, the only reason she got that is because the last match on the secondary stadium court will also be the last televised match in Y00rup, whereas the second match of the night session will get no coverage.

RetroDonkey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:14 AM
Petra is playing with Arvidsson as the last match (centre court) on Monday
not before 7:30 PM local time is Roddick´s match followed by Petra´s match

http://info.chinaopen.com.cn/PDF2011/2011_China_Open_Schedule_3_EN.pdf

Arvidsson beat Petra in Poitiers ITF in 2010 7:5 6:4 and in 2008 she lost in Curych 2:6 1:6. In 2007 Sofia used to be overweight. Now she is much fitter. She is 176cm (5 ft 9 in)tall brunette. In Tokyo lost to Arn, in Quebec lost to Watson and beat Bovina.On Us oepn she lost to Stosur in round one. Her best performance of the year was a semifinal in the WTA Swedish Open on clay, losing to compatriot Johanna Larsson (but she was 2:6 down when Wozniakci retired )

Let's be honest... Arvidsson is horrible. There is absolutely no part of her game that is threatening. Her serve is weak, she is equally crap off both wings and is slow. If Petra can even manage to keep the ball in play, she'll win in well less than an hour.

I was at that tournament in Båstad and it was perhaps the worst tournament ever. Polona Hercog won the whole thing and the court was so slow it was like playing in mud. It was at about the worst part of the season, too, so none of the top players were there, except Wozniacki, who makes a living off of winning horrible tournaments against lower ranked opponents.

Anyway, just hope Petra can find the court (and her head) after the match against Zvonareva. Best would be to just erase that as soon as possible and concentrate on the next task at hand.

bruce goose
Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:17 AM
Let's be honest... Arvidsson is horrible. There is absolutely no part of her game that is threatening. Her serve is weak, she is equally crap off both wings and is slow. If Petra can even manage to keep the ball in play, she'll win in well less than an hour.Quit beating around the bush!Tell us how you REALLY feel about Arvidsson:lol:

Tbh,Sofia seems like a nice,pleasant gal,but I recall my days as an Ana fan when AI had pretty much 100% neglected any physical training.She waddled around the court like a dyslexic duck,and she only moved with a hint of urgency when her out-of-control,horny ass chased her sleazy bf all over the golf course to make sure that slutty Kate Hudson wasn't hanging around:lol:.Her level of tennis was so pathetic that she couldn't hit more than two balls in a row w/o netting one,and she displayed as much power on our shots as you'd expect from a tranquilized sloth....Despite all this,she STILL managed to beat Arvidsson by a wide margin:haha:

So,Petra,we're not trying to put too much pressure on you or anything but....ummmmm....you should look at winning your next match as sort of a mandatory thing;)....yet we mean that in a PLEASANT way:angel:.....VAMOS,Petra:bounce:!!!

RetroDonkey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 08:13 AM
So,Petra,we're not trying to put too much pressure on you or anything but....ummmmm....you should look at winning your next match as sort of a mandatory thing;)....yet we mean that in a PLEASANT way:angel:.....VAMOS,Petra:bounce:!!!

Hehe... well put!

I met Sofia a few years ago here in Sweden at the Nordic Lights Open they used to hold here in Stockholm. She got rick-rolled in the first round against Vesnina that year but was really good about meeting with the press and fans and all that for the remainder of the week. She's a very nice girl, but unfortunately, as I rather rudely put it before, she just isn't good enough to compete with the top players. She was our number one at that time, in Sweden, only recently giving that up to Johanna Larsson, who is also a very nice girl btw. Larsson doesn't have much variety to her game, but she serves pretty well, for WTA standards, at least.

I always used to think that Petra's mental strength was one of the major keys to her success. Especially the ability to shrug aside thoughts of how big certain situations are. The thing that's starting to scare me though, is that Kvitova doesn't look scared to lose matches, she looks scared to win them... a sensation you'd normally find in less experienced, lower ranked players. Still, I'd be more worried if I was a Li Na fan, seeing how she crashed out of her home tourney to Monica Niculescu 6-4, 6-0!!!

Anyway, here's to hoping Petra rebounds nicely today.

GoofyDuck
Oct 3rd, 2011, 11:43 AM
I really want Petra to win this tournament...

Just for some nice points to stay steady in top 8.

Rex59
Oct 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Looks like the match won't be streamed, as previously listed on Eurosport. It has dropped off the 'Hunt grid.

mdx
Oct 3rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
There seems to be working stream from both main courts here:

http://live.video.sina.com.cn/room/tennis

At least Rodick-Anderson match is there. I hope they will not cut it off after it ends.

Note: you must install their player, but it can be done intuitively even if you do not understand a bit chinese like me.

RetroDonkey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Perfect start... 0-2 :( don't have video here and I'm at work so I'd have to keep that hidden, anyway... but wouldn't be surprised if basically all of Arvidsson's points have come off unforced errors.

GoofyDuck
Oct 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
0-3 , Here we go again :drive:

paulmara
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
3:3 what about the chinese stream ? livescore made me crazy

RetroDonkey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM
This should be over quick if she keeps her head now... looks like she got a bit pissed off at 3-0 and realised that she should be owning the shit out of Arvidsson.

RetroDonkey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
hmmm 4-4... broken after a run of four straight games. Winning only 22% of her 2nd serves so far... not good.

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
3:3 what about the chinese stream ? livescore made me crazy

Maybe, I think the Chinese stream doesn't show the last match.

I was bugging out myself, trying to get it on, but I realized it's the last match. Plus it started much sooner than I thought it would (did Anderson or Roddick roll)?

What happened?

I'm assuming/hearing that Petra got off to a slow start (as she is now in the tie breaker, which is inexcusable with her serve)?

And Yes; we all hate Livescore and it's terribly nerve racking/frustrating (as Petra is, as of late).

Lol

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Please don't tell me she came back from behind this far in the set/tiebreaker to lose it now @ 6/5?

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:38 PM
She lost the set.

What a joke!!!

Let's see what she does now. I just started viewing this match on Livescore, and don't know what happened up until this point.

Coconut91
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
She lost a set against Arvidsson :sad: This must be a horrible match :tape:

RetroDonkey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Disgusting... 57min 1st set that she loses to an inferior opponent.

I know this has nothing to do with Petra, but man I wish Nicole Vaidisova would make a comeback. She's still only 22 years old... and letting all of her talent rot away as nothing but the wife of Radek Stepanek. What's with that guy though... Hingis and then Vaidisova? Dude must say all the right things, or just be hung like a horse... because he's not a particularly attractive man.

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
She lost a set against Arvidsson :sad: This must be a horrible match :tape:

Yes.

And she is serving and returning horribly, per the Livescore 1st set statistics.

What is it; the late match in a presumably large, empty arena (and that's still not an excuse)?

paulmara
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Petra was 0 3 down then 4 3 with serve but lost it. in tiebreak 3:6 down then 6 6
some bad memories

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM

I know this has nothing to do with Petra, but man I wish Nicole Vaidisova would make a comeback. She's still only 22 years old... and letting all of her talent rot away as nothing but the wife of Radek Stepanek. What's with that guy though... Hingis and then Vaidisova? Dude must say all the right things, or just be hung like a horse... because he's not a particularly attractive man.

I guess it's a relaxation method (while viewing/venting about this match)? :)

Coconut91
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
I don't care about Vaidisova, to be honest. I'd rather have Kvitty. But I wish Kvitty could win a set against f*cking Arvidsson :help:

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Petra better watch it.

She can't build up a reputation as of late, that she's soft.

Meaning, if you just hang in there with her, or win when you're not supposed to (points, games & sets), that she'll fold like a cheap suit or get frustrated and implode (if she didn't come to play from the start or have a lapse).

Now she just lost her first service game in the second set, after having several break points (and losing the set in a tie breaker).

What the hell happened to her form from Tokyo (pre Vera, of course)?

Embarrassing.

madmax
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
strange...Kvitty seemed to serve and hit clean in that short lived Pova match. What is going on?

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
strange...Kvitty seemed to serve and hit clean in that short lived Pova match. What is going on?

Maybe like Pova (and I say this with love :)), her forms being streaking within a match, or in this case, game to game.

Incredible.

Let's see what happens?

Now she's fixing to lose her serve again, after breaking. WTF Guys? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

I hate Livescore!

You always feel like a doofus if you hang in there for an up and down match and your fave loses (though you always feel relieved when they win).

Lol

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
I was worried about this late start on Center Court.

Not sure how much experience she had with this (can't recall what time she played Stosur, Penetta, etc., at Australian Open this year), and how she would react/be prepared in China?

If you ask me, it shouldn't be that difficult, cause you knew when your match started from the day before.

Now Arvidsson has raced out to a 30-0 start on her serve.

Is this going to be a struggle, with Petra losing the set again?

Where's the domination or anger Petra?

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
She has totally regressed in this match, or did not come to play, cause even when she gets out to a lead on Arvidsson's serve, she can't break her (even after losing the first set, and having a chance for a dominating 4-2 lead).

Sofia is also winning her serves in the second set, quite quickly. This set has raced out to 3-3 already.

If Petra doesn't watch it, with one bad break (literally), she'll be down to match point in a swiftness!!

smarties
Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
5-3 kvittygoat is back!!!

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
5-3 kvittygoat is back!!!

Maybe (if she breaks again)!

But at the moment, she's a mess cause she was serving out the set and got broken.

She did not come mentally prepared. How to you blow that opportunity, when you're already down a set to an underdog?

WTF?

paulmara
Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Nothing for cardiac patients

smarties
Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Maybe (if she breaks again)!

But at the moment, she's a mess cause she was serving out the set and got broken.

She did not come mentally prepared. How to you blow that opportunity, when you're already down a set to an underdog?

WTF?

I guess that's what she did:worship:

RetroDonkey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Wouldn't mind a 6-1 set here for Petra... this is far too long to stay on court against someone like Arvidsson... still, good that she got back in the match after a messy 1st set.

Coconut91
Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
At least she won the second...:weirdo: Now 2-2 in the third :lol: Seriously, I respect Sofía, but Petra should just double bagel her, like Vika did :lol:

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Been reading the last few comments. Huh?

Petra is a mess again.

She had a chance to go up up 4-2 on several occasions. And she didn't (missed the two break point chances).

And now she inexplicably came back and got broken herself.

Now she's down 4-3 in the third set against Arvidsson (on her serve).

WTF?

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
It's not looking good guys.

Sorry.

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
I hope I'm wrong.

But this match is over.

Sorry guys!

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Let the bashing begin in GM (just take this as reverse psychology if Petra comes back and wins)!!!

Vikapower
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
I just reached, wow this is really ugly... :o

EDIT : What in the world happened there ? That's crazy... Arvidsson...

GoofyDuck
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:10 PM
What da fuck

RetroDonkey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
pure rubbish... want to love her, but she is making it so difficult to do so.

Corswandt
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
It must have been her asthma playing up, with all that nasty smog in Beijing. :oh:

The level of competition at the YEC is likely to be dismal, yet Petrikova Kvitoslavacecka's current form is such that there isn't much point in even showing up. Making up some BS injury may be in order. And the Fed Cup final - what now? Who will replace her? Maybe Cetkovska?

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
A Disgrace!!!

Well at least she made it to the top 5 for a week (she may drop out next week, since she had points to defend in China, and she had such a slim lead over Li Na, depending on what she does at the YEC, etc.).

TimeyWimey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Solid match for Sofia, very confident 1st serve, i guess she just played her tennis since it is the very first time i watch her tennis
Petra is fine, missing a few 4015 lead is disappointing, but not as much as her collapse to Dulgheru or Zvonareva
not a good day, but you will be fine, Petra

She made many chinese fans fall in love with her (and her tennis, of course) tonight

Sasja
Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Petra :sobbing:

bruce goose
Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:00 PM

I know this has nothing to do with Petra, but man I wish Nicole Vaidisova would make a comeback. She's still only 22 years old... and letting all of her talent rot away as nothing but the wife of Radek Stepanek. What's with that guy though... Hingis and then Vaidisova? Dude must say all the right things, or just be hung like a horse... because he's not a particularly attractive man.More likely that he just placated both of them with a steady supply of coke.Btw,a urinalysis test--if that's what the ATP uses--isn't very difficult to beat,so you shouldn't read too much into a lack of suspensions for Radek.Like Verdasco,he has the words Sleazy Eurotrash Cokehead written all over him...perhaps on his ass:lol:

Sorry for going off-topic,folks,but Petra didn't offer us anything worthwhile to discuss,tennis-wise:o.I can give you all a concise summary of her match performance:BLECCCHH!!!

For those of you for whom English doesn't come too easily,'Bleccchh!' is an exclamation that cartoon characters use when they're about to vomit.Petra,if you'll pardon my advice,Dear,you'll want to raise your level of play before YEC starts so that it doesn't seem as if you knocked out the REAL Petra,left her tied up in a closet...and snuck over to Istanbul in her place

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Solid match for Sofia, very confident 1st serve, i guess she just played her tennis since it is the very first time i watch her tennis
Petra is fine, missing a few 4015 lead is disappointing, but not as much as her collapse to Dulgheru or Zvonareva
not a good day, but you will be fine, Petra

She made many chinese fans fall in love with her (and her tennis, of course) tonight

No offense Reyezzj

You know I got much love for ya Bro!!

But how the hell did she make a lot of Chinese fans fall in love with her today (unless you're just be painfully corny and supportive), when she lost and had several occasions to go up 4-2, 5-3 to an underdog, in the final set of a first round match at a big tournament? Lol. Come on.

I know anything could happen. She lost. And I can live with that. But why would they fall in love with her Monday night?

I'm sure the tennis wasn't that good, considering how she played and the eventual outcome?

By the way. Did you see the match? And if you did, was it on the Tennis channel (or you saw it some other way). Cause that Chinese site was off, for this match (lord I hate Livescore).

Unfortunately (for me and others), Verizonfios and the Tennis channel, can't get their act together, and the Tennis Channel pulled their feed indefinitely, until they work it out. Oh well!

cosmoose
Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
O..M..F..G
are you kidding me Petra?
to Arvidsson? (btw, I love Sofia)

I have no words... :help:

TimeyWimey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 08:03 PM
No offense Reyezzj

You know I got much love for ya Bro!!

But how the hell did she make a lot of Chinese fans fall in love with her today (unless you're just be painfully corny and supportive), when she lost and had several occasions to go up 4-2, 5-3 to an underdog, in the final set of a first round match at a big tournament? Lol. Come on.

I know anything could happen. She lost. And I can live with that. But why would they fall in love with her Monday night?

I'm sure the tennis wasn't that good, considering how she played and the eventual outcome?

By the way. Did you see the match? And if you did, was it on the Tennis channel (or you saw it some other way). Cause that Chinese site was off, for this match (lord I hate Livescore).

Unfortunately (for me and others), Verizonfios and the Tennis channel, can't get their act together, and the Tennis Channel pulled their feed indefinitely, until they work it out. Oh well!

i watched the match, did you, ex?

i'm not saying she is playing fantastic, why would i? i said in my post that there's no excuse for squandering 40-15 multiple times, and she needs to find a way to solve it

this IS a disappointment but not as much as previous ones, it does not change whether those Chinese fans are with her or not

but as a 2.5 hrs match almost completely forgotten in the 8 degree Beijing night, i have to say i saw the 'best' Petra since Wimbledon (if you say that's because Sofia is her lowest-ranked opponent, i'm ok with that, just my very personal opinion)

why would they fall in love with Petra? well that's the feedback from them, and you better ask them since you know how much i love her, but i guess there's just no other reason for that but this, she is playing her tennis

btw, it was on cntv, they blocked ip ouside mainland China, i used my friend's VPN for that, and Monday is Chinese national holiday, so their annual opportunity for the highest level WTA tour

Excelscior
Oct 3rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
i watched the match, did you, ex?

i'm not saying she is playing fantastic, why would i? i said in my post that there's no excuse for squandering 40-15 multiple times, and she needs to find a way to solve it

this IS a disappointment but not as much as previous ones, it does not change whether those Chinese fans are with her or not

but as a 2.5 hrs match almost completely forgotten in the 8 degree Beijing night, i have to say i saw the 'best' Petra since Wimbledon (if you say that's because Sofia is her lowest-ranked opponent, i'm ok with that, just my very personal opinion)

why would they fall in love with Petra? well that's the feedback from them, and you better ask them since you know how much i love her, but i guess there's just no other reason for that but this, she is playing her tennis

btw, it was on cntv, they blocked ip ouside mainland China, i used my friend's VPN for that, and Monday is Chinese national holiday, so their annual opportunity for the highest level WTA tour

Oh. OK.

So are you saying Arvidsson played that well (since you said it was the best Petra you seen since Wimbledon); or you saw the most variety from Petra in this match since? Keep in mind, I ask you this, knowing that you said Petra should of closed out those service games in the second set. You don't think she better in Tokyo (minus the late set, Vera Z implosion)?

No. I didn't see the match. It wasn't on the Chinese link, and the Tennis Channel is down on VerizonFios, cause they're in a $$ dispute.

Bummer!!

TimeyWimey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 09:12 PM
Oh. OK.

So are you saying Arvidsson played that well (since you said it was the best Petra you seen since Wimbledon); or you saw the most variety from Petra in this match? I ask you this, knowing that you said Petra should of closed out those service games in the second set. You don't think she better in Tokyo (minus the late set, Vera Z implosion)?

No. I didn't see the match. It wasn't on the Chinese link, and the Tennis Channel is down on VerizonFios, cause they're in a $$ dispute.

Bummer!!

well, i guess that's how she played her tennis, like Dulgheru or weaker version of Petkovic, the category Petra has problem with, as we all know

Sofia's serve, except for some games, is solid to me,

ex, you know Petra will not have the variety we're expecting for her, right

and you know, when you look at the stats, you sometimes get confused, lately, since Wimby, like

what?! Petra had 19 winners in set 1? only 13 unforced errors?

but last night except for the moment to close out the set, the game, she's at her best out of the worst, or she tried her best out of the worst

it's like a joke, right, how can you win a match without taking the GP, MP, SP

which brings the worst part of all, her mind at these key moments

she's playing top 10 for most of the time, but for the whatever-points moment, she's off, i can say, all the match

i admit it's suffering, but i can deal with that at this moment, and see how she and her team can sort it out, maybe they never will on hardcourt, but i can wait, this subforum won't be closed after yesterday's match

(maybe as a long time Czech tennis fan, it's already become a full time job for me, Vaidisova, Safarova, etc)

if you watch the replay, you might be surprised to see David Kotyza smiling all the time he is on the screen, maybe someone could give an explanation here

TimeyWimey
Oct 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Keep in mind, I ask you this, knowing that you said Petra should of closed out those service games in the second set. You don't think she better in Tokyo (minus the late set, Vera Z implosion)?

i don't quite get this

but ex, i understand some previous posts are submitted the moment Petra wasted another BP or SP, which is totally different than typing something one hour after the match

jiri-nedved
Oct 3rd, 2011, 10:55 PM
More likely that he just placated both of them with a steady supply of coke.Btw,a urinalysis test--if that's what the ATP uses--isn't very difficult to beat,so you shouldn't read too much into a lack of suspensions for Radek.Like Verdasco,he has the words Sleazy Eurotrash Cokehead written all over him...perhaps on his ass:lol:

Sorry for going off-topic,folks,but Petra didn't offer us anything worthwhile to discuss,tennis-wise:o.I can give you all a concise summary of her match performance:BLECCCHH!!!

For those of you for whom English doesn't come too easily,'Bleccchh!' is an exclamation that cartoon characters use when they're about to vomit.Petra,if you'll pardon my advice,Dear,you'll want to raise your level of play before YEC starts so that it doesn't seem as if you knocked out the REAL Petra,left her tied up in a closet...and snuck over to Istanbul in her place
how, what has Radek done wrong?

mdx
Oct 4th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I saw the match. Petra was not playing great tennis but she was not playing badly. And definitely not as badly as in US Open match.

From my point of view there were two key reasons why she lost:

1. Her first serve was not working. There were only a few times in the whole match when her first serve gave her some advantage in the rally. Most of the times she missed it or Sofia returned it without much troubles, often even so good that Petra had a hard time returning it back. On the other hand Sofia's first serve was quite a weapon a few times and it helped her in fighting otherwise quite good playing Petra on return.

2. Petra had many breakpoints but she could not capitalize on them. Sofia was playing solid and did not make many mistakes but it seemed to me that Petra could have been a little bit more patient when she had those 40:15 and 40:30 leads on Sofia's serve. Sometimes she threw them away with unforced errors.

I never seen Sofia play before but today it was very good match from her. She was playing consistently throughout the whole match, making unforced errors very rarely, and there were even some surprisingly good shots on her part from time to time.

Petra was a bit less consistent than Sofia but still better player for most of the game (with the exception being the end of last set). If Petra's first serve was working like in first two matches in Tokyo, she would have won the match in two straight sets. The rest of her game was on the same level as in Tokyo.

bruce goose
Oct 4th, 2011, 12:51 AM
My apologies to Reyes or anyone else who watched the match but,even when she's at her best,Sofia is NOT the sort of player who should beat Petra...she's of the same caliber as many others who might offer up a competitive scoreline when she plays well...and yet manages to lose somehow,someway in three sets.Is it mere coincidence that she's almost 30 and just now got her first,legit Top 10 win(not counting injury defaults)?Don't get me wrong,folks,I'm not angry with Petra...still her fan sin fin:),but she has to raise her level of play so that she doesn't become a RR 0-3 punching bag at YEC:o

mac47
Oct 4th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I'm very sad to read these scores and results. Petra won my loyalty this year like no other player since Jana Novotna, and I can't wait for things to click for her again. Remember that she is young, and a lefty, and lefties have a tendency to be a bit streaky and mental: Goran, for instance.

I can't wait for her to win a second slam off grass and shut everyone up who is presently ragging on her as another one-slam wonder headcase. AO 2012 would be a fine time to do it, or Roland Garros.

Barktra
Oct 4th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I think she should try to get a WC for Moscow :shrug:

She can not go into Instanbul playing like this.

TimeyWimey
Oct 4th, 2011, 01:55 AM

i don't think she will, she lost in R1 last year

Barktra
Oct 4th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Have you guys seen this video :inlove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R26RvRctz4Q

bruce goose
Oct 4th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Have you guys seen this video :inlove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R26RvRctz4QFor those who are too lazy to click and open Jupiter's nice offering,it's a vid that displays Petra's winners from Wimbledon.As far as I can tell,it's totally legit---not some concoction by a special effects whiz......even though the current Petra and the one in the video seem like two completely different gals:o

HowardH
Oct 4th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Bad loss. Arvidsson does not win much these days.

However, at some point (who knows when) Petra will spark into form again. We may have to wait till next year, or possibly she could do something in the upcoming tournaments.

Either way I have every confidence she will play well again. Eventually. Having some awful results is almost a given part of her high risk game. But so is having some great results. It's also obviously proving quite tough to get used to having a slam title. But in time I think she can figure this out. To be honest Li Na and Sam will probably figure it out too, given enough time.

Of these three, Sam is the most likely to have continuing issues even when she accepts the pressure that comes with being a slam champion and learns to loosen up, due to her issues with the bh and also with framing shots.

Li Na and Petra are technically very good groundstrokers- Petra in particular- and there is no reason for them not to eventually find rhythm again one day.

Corswandt
Oct 4th, 2011, 11:49 AM
The level of competition at the YEC is likely to be dismal, yet Petrikova Kvitoslavacecka's current form is such that there isn't much point in even showing up. Making up some BS injury may be in order. And the Fed Cup final - what now? Who will replace her? Maybe Cetkovska?

I was kidding here. Of course she'll play the YEC and the Fed Cup final - what else can she do?

I saw the match. [...]

1. Her first serve was not working. There were only a few times in the whole match when her first serve gave her some advantage in the rally. Most of the times she missed it or Sofia returned it without much troubles, often even so good that Petra had a hard time returning it back. On the other hand Sofia's first serve was quite a weapon a few times and it helped her in fighting otherwise quite good playing Petra on return.

If her opponent manages to get the return low and deep, right into Kvitova's feet, that = point won. Her opponents have figured that out for a while now. Her return game can also be neutralised - it's fairly simple on paper but remains quite difficult to implement. Won't say how as that doesn't seem to be common knowledge yet and

http://newgeekphilosopher.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/poster-ww2-enemy-listens.jpg

That would be understood as a sign of panic. Plus entering Moscow wouldn't help improve her form anyway (does anyone ever play well there?), so why bother?

Spring Pools
Oct 4th, 2011, 03:08 PM
That would be understood as a sign of panic. Plus entering Moscow wouldn't help improve her form anyway (does anyone ever play well there?), so why bother?

She's excellent in indoor courts, so maybe she could pick up some momentum going into Istanbul?

Excelscior
Oct 4th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I saw the match. Petra was not playing great tennis but she was not playing badly. And definitely not as badly as in US Open match.

2. Petra had many breakpoints but she could not capitalize on them. Sofia was playing solid and did not make many mistakes but it seemed to me that Petra could have been a little bit more patient when she had those 40:15 and 40:30 leads on Sofia's serve. Sometimes she threw them away with unforced errors.

I never seen Sofia play before but today it was very good match from her. She was playing consistently throughout the whole match, making unforced errors very rarely, and there were even some surprisingly good shots on her part from time to time.

Petra was a bit less consistent than Sofia but still better player for most of the game (with the exception being the end of last set). If Petra's first serve was working like in first two matches in Tokyo, she would have won the match in two straight sets. The rest of her game was on the same level as in Tokyo.

Thank You

Very good summary of the match MDX

And welcome to the Petra Subforum (though I think I've seen you here before).

Excelscior
Oct 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I'm very sad to read these scores and results. Petra won my loyalty this year like no other player since Jana Novotna, and I can't wait for things to click for her again. Remember that she is young, and a lefty, and lefties have a tendency to be a bit streaky and mental: Goran, for instance.

I can't wait for her to win a second slam off grass and shut everyone up who is presently ragging on her as another one-slam wonder headcase. AO 2012 would be a fine time to do it, or Roland Garros.

Yeah.

Don't worry Mac. Petra has taken a lot of our hearts last year, this year or even before that.

As far as you're statement/rant/wish; you know it's funny, but I don't think a lot of people realize (except the ones that pay attention), that she'll may win the French or Australian Open before she wins The US Open or another hard court or indoor tournament.

She shoulda beat Li Na in the French this year. And we already know what happened in the quarterfinal of the Australian with Vera Z.

OK. Back to the present! Let's hope she can at least win the YEC championship this year, on indoor hardcourt (and not have 92% of her points to defend, come up next year)? Can she please, at least get some cushion at the end of this year?

We'll see!!??

paulmara
Oct 4th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Petra is playing in Linz . Asked for wild card to be ready to Istanbul.

Excelscior
Oct 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM
OK. Kool.

I wonder if she'll ask for a wild card to Moscow, as well (depending on her results here)?

bruce goose
Oct 5th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Petra is playing in Linz . Asked for wild card to be ready to Istanbul.Not sure if Petra will find her rhythm there,but I like what aye THINK I'm seeing--a Petra who isn't satisfied with her results and wants to get more match play to be ready for the Istanbul showcase.

On another note,I'm not sure if they do this in Linz,but tall,blonde Petra would look pretty hot in a dirndl,IMO:drool:.Petra,Queen PinocchiA:hearts:

Jan_S
Oct 5th, 2011, 10:13 AM
As Paulmara already written down in the off-topic thread, Vera lost to stunning Ana in the third round. But there is more to that: she was defending final from last year, and so from the next monday she will be #5 in the world rankings, slipping just 5 points behind Petra. Congratulations! Petra should now really prove in Linz that she is worthy of her (somewhat unearned) spot.

paulmara
Oct 5th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Jan_S is right.
Next week new number 4 Petra Kvitova

Zvonareva 6315 – 700 +140 = 5755
Kvitova 5895 – 140 + 5 = 5760

Excelscior
Oct 5th, 2011, 02:29 PM
But what about Li Na guys?

Did she have points to defend in China ( or did she lose in the 1st round last yr or not play maybe)??

Petra was only 35pts ahead of Na for the #5 spot?

If Petra does crawl up ("backed in" may be the more appropriate term) to #4 or stay @ #5, she better win Linz or da YEC, otherwise she'll have a lot of pressure to defend her early points (and steadily maintain her ranking, without ups & downs & the associated pressure) for next year.

Petra did quite well, early 2011 (especially in January & January to March).

She already decided not to defend Brisbane, so she better win Linz for those crappy 200+ points. Lol

paulmara
Oct 5th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Li Na last year -450 -35 ( Petra Li difference )+ 5 = -480

actually difference is only 25 but it doesn´t matter

Excelscior
Oct 5th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Li Na last year -450 -35 ( Petra Li difference )+ 5 = -480

actually difference is only 25 but it doesn´t matter

Thanks.

I know, and figured as much (cause of the low points you get losing in the first round). But I'm still incredulous, while slightly happy that Petra keeps going up the rankings while she continues to lose (except Tokyo).

Yeah. I know how, why and how the ranking system works. But I hope she realizes she's got to win something/some more (she did get 390 pts in Tokyo), or she'll have points to defend (1270 from Brisbane, Australian, Paris Indoor) the beginning of next year.

Let's hope she can win Linz and the YEC.

That would be a kool 1780 points right there.

bruce goose
Oct 5th, 2011, 05:25 PM
IMO,these small incremental increases in the rankings won't help Petra very much in the short term.She made the big step of winning a Slam final vs. an experienced foe so,psychologically-speaking,I don't see where Petra's mindset or confidence will be any better if she's #4,5 or 6...she mostly needs to regain her focus,I'd guess,though I'm not sure how she's gonna do that right now...only that she eventually will:)

Excelscior
Oct 5th, 2011, 05:35 PM
IMO,these small incremental increases in the rankings won't help Petra very much in the short term.She made the big step of winning a Slam final vs. an experienced foe so,psychologically-speaking,I don't see where Petra's mindset or confidence will be any better if she's #4,5 or 6...she mostly needs to regain her focus,I'd guess,though I'm not sure how she's gonna do that right now...only that she eventually will:)

The rankings are really for us, I think!? Lol.

But (seriously) I do think, if she bounces in and out of the top 10, that will bring increased criticism and scrutiny of Petra though (possibly affecting her game and confidence)?

Obviously, if Petra's playing well and winning tournaments, you don't worry about her ranking as much.

I would like to see both scenarios!!

Is that asking for too much? :lol: :) :lol:

paulmara
Oct 5th, 2011, 07:07 PM
There are some rumours that in Linz they still couldn´t decided who will be awarded with WC. JJ is already in Courtyard by Marriott. It is very hard decision if Patricia Mayr-Achleitner (n95) and Yvonne Meusbruger (n158) or Petra.

On the other hand there is a mysterious Top 10 player and maybe it will klappen.
http://www.generali-ladies.at/presse/news5_359.php

Corswandt
Oct 5th, 2011, 11:02 PM
There are some rumours that in Linz they still couldn´t decided who will be awarded with WC. JJ is already in Courtyard by Marriott. It is very hard decision if Patricia Mayr-Achleitner (n95) and Yvonne Meusbruger (n158) or Petra.

On the other hand there is a mysterious Top 10 player and maybe it will klappen.
http://www.generali-ladies.at/presse/news5_359.php

Kvitova has already gone public with having requested a WC for Linz. Her team wouldn't have allowed her to do so if there was still any chance of her getting snubbed, right? Because there were (are?) chances of that happening - let's face it, from the TD's perspective, any of those local players is more likely to bring in additional spectators than Kvitova.

Anyway, of all the remaining fall Euro indoor events Linz is the one that makes more sense for Kvitova to try to play. It's the one that still plays the fastest, and she's done well there before.

bruce goose
Oct 6th, 2011, 04:12 AM
The rankings are really for us, I think!? Lol.

But (seriously) I do think, if she bounces in and out of the top 10, that will bring increased criticism and scrutiny of Petra though (possibly affecting her game and confidence)?

Obviously, if Petra's playing well and winning tournaments, you don't worry about her ranking as much.

I would like to see both scenarios!!

Is that asking for too much? :lol: :) :lol:No,it's not asking too much at all,and I see where you're coming from.

On another tack,I have sort of an ironic premise for you: For fans,at least,the WINNERS stat is for LOSERS:p.Don't get me wrong--if Petra has a high winners count,then it usually means that she's played well...but,if she wins the match,who really gives a s--t if Petra's opponent had seven more winners,right;)?I saw a post a while back where a certain player's fan was PROUD that she had lost easily in straights yet just barely out-winnered Serena:haha:.Let's ignore the fact that Serena sleep-walked through the match...knowing she had approx. ZERO chance of losing to someone who hadn't ever come close to even taking a set from her...and never WILL unless Serena tears her ACL during the match:lol:...when you can't actually celebrate victories but have to settle on getting 3 more winners than Serena,well...that's the epitome of Loser-dom to me

Think about it: How many times do you suppose that Serena,Venus,Henin,Davenport,Graf,Hingis,Sanchez-Vicario approached her coach right after the match and asked,'Did I hit more winners than the other girl:D?'....I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that those champs did that as often as an intense blizzard strikes Miami:lol:....Or do you suspect the Tigers would be happy if they lost Game 5 to the Yankees,15-3,and then spouted,'Yeah,we got our asses kicked,but we're the STRONGER team cuz we out-homered the Yanks 3 to 1.':p.....So,to rehash,it's nice to hit more putaway shots than your opponent does,but TRUE champions only focus on defeating the one across the net...and the ones who obsess over WINners are actually LOSers.Highly unlikely that Petra:angel: will ever be so misguided

Corswandt
Oct 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Linz WC confirmed:

http://www.generali-ladies.at/presse/news5_360.php

bruce goose
Oct 6th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Perhaps I'm being biased,but I'd rather leave out one of the local Austrian WCs than Wimbledon champ Petra.She'd have to suck over a long,long period before getting reasonably passed over for a mediocre local gal

Corswandt
Oct 6th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Linz WC confirmed:

http://www.generali-ladies.at/presse/news5_360.php

Since Linz will enjoy inordinately lavish coverage on Eurosuck 1, we can be almost sure that Petrikova's early round flameout will be broadcast live and in full.

HowardH
Oct 6th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hmm. At this point the thing going for Petra is that she is relatively unpredictable, and the surface is quick, so theoretically she could do very well.

Or not. Hard to tell when she's coming out of her little run of losses. Although some people seem to think she will not be able to turn it around so quickly (perhaps next year then?)

When it comes to wildcards in general, if you have a drawcard like a Wimbledon champ, it only makes sense to have them go in the maindraw. Get some people in and drum up some attention (even if that player loses early). However I believe that ALL qualifying wildcards should go to locals even if they are not good enough players (qualy WCs going to overseas players is one of my pet peeves about the 2 NZ tournaments in the past).

bruce goose
Oct 7th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Hmm. At this point the thing going for Petra is that she is relatively unpredictable, and the surface is quick, so theoretically she could do very well.

Or not. Hard to tell when she's coming out of her little run of losses. Although some people seem to think she will not be able to turn it around so quickly (perhaps next year then?)

When it comes to wildcards in general, if you have a drawcard like a Wimbledon champ, it only makes sense to have them go in the maindraw. Get some people in and drum up some attention (even if that player loses early). However I believe that ALL qualifying wildcards should go to locals even if they are not good enough players (qualy WCs going to overseas players is one of my pet peeves about the 2 NZ tournaments in the past).Yeah,Howard,I agree that tourneys should have the right to give WCs to local gals...whether it be Qualies or MD,but even if I weren't a Petra fan,I'm pretty sure I'd say that her Wimby title was recent enough to justify giving her priority over a local in the MD