PDA

View Full Version : Tarpaulins

alfajeffster
Sep 7th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I know this doesn't deal directly with a particular player from the past (but it could put a damper on legends play), but why, with all the money the USTA takes in every year at the Open do they not have tarps to cover and tent the courts? All they're talking about today is why we don't have a roof! Surely tarps are relatively inexpensive, and easy to deploy and then store when the weather breaks without need of blowers or rolling the water off the court. Maybe there's a reason I'm missing. If so, please enlighten me.

DennisFitz
Sep 9th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I know this doesn't deal directly with a particular player from the past (but it could put a damper on legends play), but why, with all the money the USTA takes in every year at the Open do they not have tarps to cover and tent the courts? All they're talking about today is why we don't have a roof! Surely tarps are relatively inexpensive, and easy to deploy and then store when the weather breaks without need of blowers or rolling the water off the court. Maybe there's a reason I'm missing. If so, please enlighten me.

There's a simple reason. And it's called logic. The USTA lacks logic, therefore no tarps have ever been used.

Oh, true, they've been asked about it during rain delays in the past. And they claim they wouldn't really work. Because it wouldn't save them much time anyway. And the courts might still have some moisture in them if they had tarps over the courts while it rained.

Of course forgetting the fact Wimbledon uses tarps over the grass courts. Grass being a live matter, that uses and requires water to stay alive, and be used for play. And yet at the same time, a wet grass court is unplayable.

They are a low cost solution to an issue that will always present itself at the US Open. I've also said - and even proposed to the USTA - that they have tarps covering the courts, and have them sponsored by the big fat corporations they love so much! Just think, an aerial shot of the Open during a rain delay with tarps blazened with Chase, Minolta, Heinken, etc. "Free" advertising, right? Plus all the courts would be covered, so that once the rain stops, it would be easier and obviously quicker for the courts to be playable again. Which in the long run makes sense, because it means matches being played, fans staying around the grounds buying stuff, and more money (since we all know they don't have enough) in the pockets of the USTA. And, if the sponsors paid for the tarps through the use of their logos on them, the USTA would wind up not even having to pay for them, and still reap the financial benefits of using tarps!!

Now they say that money talks. And this is, IMHO, a powerful talk to the USTA. But then again, logic isn't something present at the USTA. Hence, no tarps.

And of course, don't get me started on no roof over the monstrosity known as Ashe Stadium!

alfajeffster
Sep 9th, 2011, 07:55 AM
There's a simple reason. And it's called logic. The USTA lacks logic, therefore no tarps have ever been used...

...And of course, don't get me started on no roof over the monstrosity known as Ashe Stadium!

Oh my God! I feel like I'm talking to myself here! I was beginning to wonder at the lack of response to this thread- thought I just had to be missing something in the USTA logic. I used to enjoy going up to the Open every year, but then the mall of america crowd took over and the horrible dome-less Ashetro Dome was built, and I refused to even try. The last match I saw there was Sampras vs Mikhail Youzhny. I had to pay a scalper $400 for 2 good seats down close to the court just because I wanted to watch tennis (what a concept). I even gave the outside courts a try, thinking I'd just accept not going into Ashe Bowl, but they even ruined Louis Armstrong! Taking off the top level of seats was a good idea to promote intimacy, but what they forgot to mention is that they took the rest of the seats there and crammed them so uncomfortably close together (adding back some of the seats lost) that your knees are bumping the back of the neck of the person in front of you. I'm an average 5'10-3/4" man, and used to be able to sit in Armstrong for an entire match. No more- it's just too uncomfortable and downright painful.

P.S.- ever try to find a nice, cozy little table to sit and nosh on a bite between matches?