PDA

View Full Version : Would you rank Lindsay Davenport #1 as a tennis host?

Jakeev
Sep 6th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I am really impressed how fast Lindsay has risen as a tennis host.

She used to be picked on a lot for not being a major personality when she was a top player, even though she was well liked and spoke very well.

But as a tennis host she really does everything well from her knowledge of the game to just being able to pronounce tough tennis player names.

In my mind, she is practically the best woman commentator out there today and I think she has a long career ahead of her.

Any thoughts?

VeeJJ
Sep 6th, 2011, 06:31 AM
I think Navratilova the best.

Libertango
Sep 6th, 2011, 06:36 AM
She is VERY good at it. But then, that shouldn't be a surprise. She's intelligent, articulate and down-to-earth. Incidentally, I was really impressed by Chanda Rubin's commentary durng the Serena-Ana match. First time I've heard her; she was good!

Navratil
Sep 6th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I think Navratilova the best.

Agree. Cause she's not afraid of saying controversial things!

But I always liked Lindsay too. Very nice person!

Also Mauresmo was great during the French Open and of course EUROSPORT's Babsi Schett :bounce:

VeeJJ
Sep 6th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Agree. Cause she's not afraid of saying controversial things!

But I always liked Lindsay too. Very nice person!

Also Mauresmo was great during the French Open and of course EUROSPORT's Babsi Schett :bounce:

I don't like her for the controversial stuff, she really isn't that controversial lol I just think she has good tennis sense and her analysis and strategies are often right.

cowsonice
Sep 6th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I can't ever tell the difference between commentators' voices unless the old, senile commentator asks them about their career...:sobbing:

Excelscior
Sep 6th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I think Sam Smith, of the BBC and Darren Cahill of ESPN are the best. Martina can be cranky sometimes, and Lindsay still doesn't know, or follow all the current players as well as she could, though both those two are knowledgeable and provide good (Martina) and decent (Lindsay) insight.

They're some another woman on Euro sport (don't know the name) that's knowledgeable as well.

Mary Joe Fernandez, is not that bad either.

ArturoAce.
Sep 6th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Love Lindsay's commentating + Chanda Rubin too :hearts:

tennnisfannn
Sep 6th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I think it helps that she knows and has played against many of the current players. I can also see Venus doing a good job of commentating though I doubt she will want to do so. I also enjoyed Barbara Schett at the FO.

Joey Darling
Sep 6th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I personally like Mary Joe Fernandez and Darren Cahill the most. They're well-informed, and try to avoid controversy as much as possible. Some people like it, some people don't... I'm one of those people. I really prefer to watch good tennis, hear good commentary on the tennis, and avoid all the extra, "Oh no she didn't!"'s.

Jeff
Sep 6th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Yes I think Lindsay is the best. She is knowledgeable, articulate, and she knows most of the current players on tour more than anyone else. She also says what she thinks. She also doesn't speak too much during points, which is major bonus points!

Navratil
Sep 6th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I don't like her for the controversial stuff, she really isn't that controversial lol I just think she has good tennis sense and her analysis and strategies are often right.

Sadly - yes!

I thought she got crazy when she said Wozniacki has got the potential of becoming # 1 but it happend :lol:

gc-spurs
Sep 6th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Yes I think Lindsay is the best. She is knowledgeable, articulate, and she knows most of the current players on tour more than anyone else. She also says what she thinks. She also doesn't speak too much during points, which is major bonus points!

Pretty much all of this. My favourite part is that for the more veteran players, she can talk about her experiences with them and what they're like off court, on court or in the locker rooms. She is also pretty fair. And her voice is soothing.

T-rex
Sep 6th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Off the top of my head I would say yes.... she is very good.

She is also much prettier in the studio than she ever was on the tour. To me she looks so different, at one time I wondered if she had had any "work done."

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Off the top of my head I would say yes.... she is very good.

She is also much prettier in the study than she ever was on the tour. To me she looks so different, at one time I wondered if she had had any "work done."
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2tZz9H4A85ESyPYaXJITnr6xwcvmlS 4gJX4MJikZ858Qm0cXZ

Alejandrawrrr
Sep 6th, 2011, 10:17 AM
She is VERY good at it. But then, that shouldn't be a surprise. She's intelligent, articulate and down-to-earth. Incidentally, I was really impressed by Chanda Rubin's commentary durng the Serena-Ana match. First time I've heard her; she was good!

These.

Sombrerero loco
Sep 6th, 2011, 10:34 AM
navratilova is the best!

tennnisfannn
Sep 6th, 2011, 12:13 PM
As an aside and this is in regards to just about all commentators, they do ave a script to go by. They all say the same things anyway. Watch the same match as related by an american, australian and european commentator- you won't believ how identical some comments are. I guess we can blame or praise the script writers for this depending on your fav.

Sammo
Sep 6th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I love Lindsay as a commentator, she also has the best voice out there, it's heavenly :inlove:

JCTennisFan
Sep 6th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Davenport has always been a sharp lady, and is good at being able to analyze things very well. Davenport, Evert, Austin (to a lesser extent), and Morariu are my favorite female commentators. Shriver isnt that bad either.

killerqueen
Sep 6th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I always enjoy Lindsay commentating. It's always good to hear the views of someone relevant to the players their commentating on. Lindsay competed against a lot of these players just a few short years ago. She has an insight into the current girls and their games that older commentators simply cannot have.

Stamp Paid
Sep 6th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Shes amazing, and she offers true insight. Chanda is a very good commentator as well. Miles better than the current crop of ESPN commentators.

n1ko0
Sep 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM
i love lindsay as a commentator!

mauresmofan
Sep 7th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Lindsay is great and really knowledgeable to listen to plus she doesn't talk about herself and her career unless she's pressed to mention some match. Jo Durie is my favourite though she's so hilarious and knowledgeable and sometimes kinda pervy when it comes to talking about the guys but in a funny way. Haven't heard Amélie yet but I'm sure she's very good. Would like to hear Chanda too.

Smitten
Sep 7th, 2011, 02:20 AM
She's top 5, especially when she is being shady towards Jankovic, Borz, and the local.

iGOAT
Sep 7th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I like her voice :angel:.

The best is Martina. Her analysis is just amazing. And Darren Cahill is really good too. I personally like Tracy Austin as well - I think she's honest and funny.

Lindsay is one of the best though!

I used to like MJF but she just kisses ass to certain players and even though she is fair to the others it just gets annoying :o.

The others basically SUCK ASS. Carillo and Evert take the cake though :help:.

MBM
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I do like Sam Smith because she seems VERY up to date with WTA news (in fact I'm almost sure she has a tennisforum account). But her voice is so monotonous it can be really boring listening to her. Lindsay is a good commentator because she is fresh enough from the game that she knows a lot of the players and can talk about their games ina way you can't understand from just watching. I will always have a soft spot for Corina tho :P

MBM
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Oh and I find VIrginia wade's reactions to some shots hilarious. A simple 'oh dear' is enough to give me a laughing fit for the next three points

darrinbaker00
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:21 AM
I can't ever tell the difference between commentators' voices unless the old, senile commentator asks them about their career...:sobbing:

Could you be just a bit more disrespectful of your elders, please?

Philbo
Sep 7th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Lindsay Davenport - A - Nothing really to criticise. She is very good.

Martina Navratilova - A- (I give her the minus becuase, what she does say is insightful and intelligent and opinionated, but on the down side, sometimes she talks too much and is still finishing off her thought when the point has started so she gets marked down for that)

Darren Cahill - A++ - Simply the best. The level of detailed knowledge he has is amazing. Even down to knowing exactly what serves each player are working on during practice. 2nd to none in cataloguing players strengths and weaknesses.

Katrina Adams - C. Heear her for first time this USO and she is terrible. Treats the commentary like an informal conversation and is just annoying. Sharapova double faults one point, Adams predicts an Ace the next point (because thats just the way it goes!), sharapova serves a fault lol. Not sure why but I just found her terrible

Jo Durie - B+ - Solid commentator. Only real criticism is tends to stick to safe cliches and doesnt really offer any strong opinions. But doesnt annoy me either. Often entertaining when discussing her life on the tour.

Sam Smith - B+ - quite up to date with the goings on around the tour. But lacks any real high level experience to bring to the table

Annabel Croft - D - PATHETIC. Only reason she gets invited in to commentate or anchor is because she looks good on camera. Nothing between the ears whatsover.

StephenUK
Sep 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I really like Lindsay, she has a lot of authority because she knows the top girls and played against them. I find Sam Smith very witty and enjoyable. I don't like Tracy Austin (sycophantic) and John McEnroe (much more focussed on himself than anyone else). Haven't heard Chanda or Amelie.

John.
Sep 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Yip - She's great. Really enjoyed her commentary during Wimbledon

The Witch-king
Sep 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM
How many grand slam finals has she commentated?? I'll only rank her as the best when she's done one.

Sean.
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Oh and I find VIrginia wade's reactions to some shots hilarious. A simple 'oh dear' is enough to give me a laughing fit for the next three points

Definitely! :haha:

As a 'host' there's no beating:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42482000/jpg/_42482209_finishedbarker.jpg

Commentators:

Virginia Wade - for the hilarity!
Either Sam Smith or Jo Durie - I'm not sure which but one of them is really good
Lindsay Davenport - she teamed up with one of the above at Wimbledon and they made an amazing team.

Libertango
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Virginia Wade :worship: She always sounds slightly sherry-induced to me. I love how involved she gets - her reactions are priceless.

Gilas.
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM
She's a close second to Barbara Schett. :worship:

hurricanejeanne
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Yes. But I'm biased towards Lindsay. :angel:

Pump-it-UP
Sep 7th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Yas. All hail Davenperfect!

Beat
Sep 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM
actually, heinz günthardt is really great, funny and insightful. but only people watching swiss tv can witness this. ;)

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I always enjoy Lindsay commentating. It's always good to hear the views of someone relevant to the players their commentating on. Lindsay competed against a lot of these players just a few short years ago. She has an insight into the current girls and their games that older commentators simply cannot have.

That's an excellent point. Sometimes you want to roll your eyes when you hear older commentators talk about how they did it in the past. (although Chris Evert seems more with the times cause she realizes you can't really compare today's game to the old tyme style)