PDA

View Full Version : She's Got It Bad

alfajeffster
Sep 5th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I was hoping after hearing her commentate during the first round that she was just having a talkative day, but it's official- Martina Navratilova is suffering from diarrhea of the mouth. Last night she chattered right through almost two points talking about the shopping she was going to do today (Labor Day). I don't get it- she's great at the French and so at Wimbledon usually. What is it about the U.S. Open, the NYC assault on the senses? She just never stops talking! Oh, and just as an aside- who made the decision the pronounce Ian (eean) like eye-anne? Was it his parents, or did he just have a bad barmitzvah?

Sam L
Sep 5th, 2011, 11:11 AM
She was commentating during this year's Australian Open. I thought she was all right. But lol.

DennisFitz
Sep 6th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I was hoping after hearing her commentate during the first round that she was just having a talkative day, but it's official- Martina Navratilova is suffering from diarrhea of the mouth. Last night she chattered right through almost two points talking about the shopping she was going to do today (Labor Day). I don't get it- she's great at the French and so at Wimbledon usually. What is it about the U.S. Open, the NYC assault on the senses? She just never stops talking! Oh, and just as an aside- who made the decision the pronounce Ian (eean) like eye-anne? Was it his parents, or did he just have a bad barmitzvah?

As a commentator, Martina has never gotten it. Less = More.

alfajeffster
Sep 6th, 2011, 09:35 AM
As a commentator, Martina has never gotten it. Less = More.

She's usually not this bad. I'll tell you who bothers me even more- Mary Carillo. Just yesterday she was chirping away about Lisicki and how the German girls were doing so well at this years' USO, and how Sabine still had a tough road ahead of her- until someone reminded her that Zvonereva knocked her out of the tournament already! Before she was corrected, Dick (he of the mispronunciation of Nadal "Na-Doll") Enberg repeated Mary's statement that Sabine was one of the Germans left in the draw. At least Martina thinks for herself. Tracy Austin will chirp whatever is sent through her earpiece, and she's so obviously ignorant when she tries to discuss players that came before her, it's pitiful.

Rollo
Sep 6th, 2011, 12:42 PM
She's usually not this bad. I'll tell you who bothers me even more- Mary Carillo. Just yesterday she was chirping away about Lisicki and how the German girls were doing so well at this years' USO, and how Sabine still had a tough road ahead of her- until someone reminded her that Zvonereva knocked her out of the tournament already

LOL-I half laughed and half died on that one too!

Martina does go on a bit much at times. I still prefer her to Chris though-Evert just tends to pick the favorite for every match without any real analysis. When Martina is "on task" she's much better in my view.

Too bad Billie Jean isn't in the booth more these days. Mother Freedom is too busy shooting Geico commercials I guess-LOL.

alfajeffster
Sep 6th, 2011, 09:53 PM
...Too bad Billie Jean isn't in the booth more these days. Mother Freedom is too busy shooting Geico commercials I guess-LOL.

Oh, I know. And just imagine if someone had gotten ahold of both Billie Jean and Martina in their formative years and told them that not all men are neanderthals, they both might have been saved from their decadent lifestyles and problems in the womens' locker room (let alone with Margaret Court). :help:

Philbo
Sep 7th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I have to agree with you. Love Martina commentation, but she really does need to know when to shut up once the point has started.

Have to say though, she had me literally FOTFLMAO one year commentating on a Myskina match. Myskina had that common habit of turning around and spraying her coach with venomous abuse whenever she lost a point, and Martina kept piping up with comments along the lines of 'dont blame him, YOU made the mistake' lol...

Chrissie-fan
Sep 7th, 2011, 11:46 AM
If given the choice I'd prefer to watch tennis without any commentary whatsoever. I don't need anyone telling me that it's 30-15 or that the ball is out. I can see that myself. I prefer to clearly hear rackets hitting the ball, the reaction from the public, etc... I even prefer to hear Azarenka's high pitched screeching to the blabbering.