PDA

View Full Version : The ATP IS MORE POPULAR THAN THE WTA

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:58 PM
I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH SPARSE CROWDS, LIKE WAS SEEN AT LA, AT AN ATP TOURNAMENT. YET THE WTA WANTS PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THAT IT IS MORE POPULAR THAN THE ATP. MAYBE LAST YEAR BUT NOT NOW.

treufreund
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Why are you starting threads and then deleting them? Were you upset that I suggested that Serena's domination and predictable finals were to blame? I am not blaming the Williams for that. They are just playing well but for fans predictability is the bane of enthusiasm in sports. Also the real problem is TERRIBLE MARKETING. The ATP is 10000 times better at marketing. The WTA must have a pittly budget and weak endowment or none at all. It's pathetic. The ATP has TV commercials, billboards. What does the WTA even do to promote the game. I have seen that one old WTA commercial about how they speak many languages in many countries but that's like three years old now. :rolleyes:

Messenger
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Who lives in Los Angeles? Maybe someone who lives there can enlighten us as to how much publicity the tournament has had in the past couple of weeks.

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:09 PM
The WTA is into SEX sells. Well, well, haven't they heard of market saturation.

The ATP has a product-tennis and it sells that product.

The WTA on the other is selling itself as a vehicle through which one can get to see the likes of Kournikova. Logically, if she is absent from the tournament , her fans will also be absent.

To be honest, I doubt if she could have saved the LA tournament.

hingis-seles
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:12 PM
The WTA RULESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:14 PM
WTA is boring and the general public knows it.

ktwtennis
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:22 PM
You are stupid, and now everyone knows that!

miranda_lou
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:23 PM
A couple of years ago I was on vacation in Las Vegas and I saw billboards and TV ads for the Fed Cup that was coming to Vegas. There were ads everywhere you looked, mostly featuring Serena. Still NOBODY showed up to watch the Fed Cup. Serena didn't play but that couldn't have been the reason no tickets sold. The crowds were pathetic, just like in Los Angeles.:o

I think the main reason tickets aren't selling in L.A. is simply because the prices are too high PLUS if your favorite player loses early it's a huge disappointment and waste of money.

Either the WTA championships should be played in "round robin" format or it should be combined with the ATP championship, or both. The men play in round robin format which means fans are GUARANTEED to see their favorite player at least three times. The WTA field would have to be cut to eight players rather than 16 but you would get the BEST eight players and fans would see them play three times. It would be much more exciting and suspenseful. Also, the cost of tickets could be cut drastically, which would get a lot of people into the stands.

I prefer watching the men but I don't think popularity has anything to do with the lack of fans in the stands at the WTA championships. It's just that the WTA is run by a bunch of incompetent people.:fiery: I really hope they are embarrassed enough by the empty seats (even at Williams matches) to decide to make some changes, and soon.:sad:

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Nobody cares about the WTA. They are trying to make stars out of people who have barely achieved anything. People know the score ..they are not fools.

If people are selling you half-baked goods..Would you buy.

wongqks
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Noaces
Nobody cares about the WTA. They have stars out of people who have barely achieved anything. People know the score ..they are not fools.

If people are selling you half-baked goods..Would you buy.

umm okay whatever, I don't care what you think. I like women tennis, that's all I would like to know, coz I will follow women tennis no matter what you think.

besides, we are not in competition between men and women tennis, if anything WTA and ATP should be supporting each other

also if no one cares about WTA, then you will not see us here we are humans you know. I rally don't know why you bother coming to this board, it is a WTA board, a board who is about to crack the one millionth post mark, that itself say somethign about the popularity of women tennis.

None of us are in denial about what happen in LA, we all discuss the issues but to become ignorance and start bashing when the opportunity is just as Venus will say 'it's pretty low' ;) (from simpsons :p )

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:30 PM
www.atpworld.com/

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:32 PM
The internet has a tendency to blow things out of proportion.

Just because you are about to crack your millionth post or whatever means nothing. It just means that some people are very, very, very obsessed about tennis and some players..nothing more..nothing less.

wongqks
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:35 PM
whatever Noaces, it still doesn't change the fact, people here like women tennis

As a matter of fact many of us (including me) like men tennis as well, so it is not like if I like WTA, I have to hate ATP.

It is this kind of attitude which is stop making tennis growing even bigger, separation between the tour.

Everyone has different taste, you don't need to agree with it, but at least you can have some class to respect other people 's preference

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:36 PM
I am all for both tours.

Can one really say that the WTA is more popular than ever. I think not.

wongqks
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Noaces, you have to realised that this tournament has sparse crowd, yes it is true.

but in other tournament they have good crowds, it seems a bit illogical that you single out this tournament and proclaim women tennis is boring

wongqks
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:39 PM
The point is that there are many threads about the aprse crowd in LA, there were many intersting theories being put up, instead of putting yourself in the spotlight with those comment, maybe if you are really a fan, you can go to those threads and contribute

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:43 PM
I hate the WTA..It's boring and the players think too much of themselves to the point where they are over-exposing themselves in public..abit like the King and his new clothes and nobody is telling them the truth.

I just love it. (tongue firmly in cheek).

griffin
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Hey, if you don't like what's on, change the channel.

wongqks
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:48 PM
I am all for both tours.

Okay that is his first comment

I hate the WTA..It's boring and the players think too much of themselves to the point where they are over-exposing themselves in public..abit like the King and his new clothes and nobody is telling them the truth.

umm multiple personality complex, I think it is uncurable right? osrry can't help you then

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:49 PM
I said I am all for both tours.. I didn't say that I liked the WTA. Read carefully now,

griffin
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by wongqks

umm multiple personality complex

or a deliberate attempt to get your goat? Hmmm ;)

Candy946
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:53 PM

I said I am all for both tours.. I didn't say that I liked the WTA.
Dislike, hate, whatever. Then why are you still here?

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Because I Am free to be wherever I want to be.

Today I feel like being here.

wongqks
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Because I Am free to be wherever I want to be.

Today I feel like being here.

Okay nice to see you have free time to bash WTA good for you, I am happy for you

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:02 PM
The WTA is pathetic. It's own game has caught up with it.

Kournikova this..Kournikova that...People become tired of the same"pretty face" after awhile amd look for new attractions. She can play ..yeah right...the WTA is yet to convince the general public about that...

The Williams this and the Williams that...How many sister v.....( I am feeling sleepy) finals are we going to be subjected toooooooooooo.

Seles this and Seles that..Yes, she was stabbed by a fan...how many years ago..9 years and yet fans have to be treated to a rehashing of the incident everytime she plays...We sympathize but enough already.

Poor Capriati..She has now become the maligned after daring to stand up to King.

Hingis is missing in action.

Lindsay is deteriorating into a headcase on the tennis court. It's boring.

wongqks
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Again I am happy for you, well done, your comment is so intelligent that i guess I don't need to back it up, keep up with the good work :)

Poe
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:11 PM
If you hate the WTA it makes absolutely no sense for you to be posting on a WTA board whether you're "free to be wherever you want to be" or not.

The fact that you've registered here, and are spending time posting here at a site that's entire focus is something you find "pathetic" says loads about you.

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Am I the only one here who's a fan of both the ATP and the WTA???

I don't get why someone who hates the WTA would come on Wtaworld.com . Just to make trouble me thinks......

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:12 PM
JOY

Like or not there was a mystique surrounding the players in Evert, Navratilova and Graf's days. Now there just seems to be something missing.

I hate to say but it's as if everyone can do whatever it is now..The mystique has gone.

Okay...In those days one played and became great..now one is great before has actually truly, truly achieved. Something is awry and the public senses it.

Candy946
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:16 PM
You certainly spend a lot of time discussing about something that you find very ''boring''.

tennisvideos
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Another negative thread started by Noaces. You must have a sad life. Like I said in another thread, if you started giving out positive energy you might get some back and discover that life can actually be an enjoyable experience. Why not try it sometime instead of being a tired sour apple.

Noaces
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Hey..I can't be too far off...The people are now showing up at a time when the WTA is more popular than ever...

Double Fault
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Noaces, You love the WTA. And you know that's the truth.

Volcana
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Yes, the ATP is more poplar than the WTA. The NBA is more popular than the WTA also.

Brian Stewart
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:30 AM
Yes the ATP is so much more popular that WTA TV ratings in the US are about 30% higher than the ATP's. (The margin is even higher on Eurosport.) The ATP is so much more popular that their Philadelphia event drew fewer fans than the WTA's, even though the ATP event was played in an arena 4X the size. The ATP is so much more popular that the Indian Wells men's final drew 1500 fewer spectators than the women's final (which had no Americans). The ATP is so much more popular that Andy Roddick was strolling down the streets of New York with his girlfriend during the US Open, dressed in full tennis attire, and doing his best to be recognized, and yet not one single person recognized him.

Advice to future trolls: don't try to start trouble on message boards with posters that are well-versed in the facts.

Persian
Nov 9th, 2002, 01:11 AM
I am dissapointed by the crowds, but look at the grandslams the crowds have been filled right to the end,

Alot of what you said also happens in the ATP FYI, The thing is Kournikova, Hingis, Williams attract crowds etc, now I honestly have been dumbfounded by the end of year championships but Im hoping for atleast the semis and the finals it will be jammed packed.

Nov 9th, 2002, 01:41 AM
WTA less popular than ATP? You have to be joking! i don't even know the names of most of the top ATP players

anton
Nov 9th, 2002, 10:17 AM
this thread is kind of funny. but "noaces" you are wrong. the wta is very popular. the tickets are too high in la and the wtatour is not doing the best job promoting the sport and it is succeding anyway.

wta needs a better tv package in the usa and the Tennis Channel should help. and it is not serena's fault if her rivals are injured.

Monica_Rules
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Take a hike!This tournament has been bad but the Venus-Monica crowd was about 4,000 ish

Monaco
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:33 AM
tennis is one sport so wta and atp should work more closely together and have more mixed events like miami and indian wells...the sport will benefit. the year-end events should be combined.

having said that, the atp is a much better product with more depth, more stories, better tennis, etc. the women don't want to join the men and in the end they will suffer.

schnyder lover
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:08 PM
noaces you are such a gimp. do you think the crowds would be so much better if the atp masters were being played their? i don't think so. you are taking an isolated example of one tournament as a clear indication that "the public" is sick of the wta tour and the players on it. i do not think LA was the right place, but if you look at the tournies play in California during the summer you would see the exact opposite. i think the wta itself is crap, but the tour is strong. do you really think if you put the masters cup on right now in LA it would engender much more enthusiasm from the people - i am sure heaps of people would like to watch jiri novak vs juan carlos ferrero, or carlos moya vs albert costa - bc these matches are just so exciting.

sure people might be getting sick of the williams to an extent, i know i am, but barring the US Open final, how can the atp talk: johansson vs safin; costa vs ferrero; hewitt vs nalbandian - these were all terrrible matches which would have encouraged no one to take up an interest in men's tennis - i even had ticket to the aus open final and i left half way to watch boys juniors bc it was so boring

i like men's tennis, and think it is on the way up, but your arguments about the state of the wta tour are so narrow and you just seem like a very angry person. i recommend you talk to someone - bc you cleary have some issues that need to be addressed if you feel the need to come onto a wta board for the sole purpose of bringing people down. or has someone come onto the atpworld and offended you with comments about the atp - this would be your only justification bc your arguments are fundamentally shit.

mkatan
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:26 PM
The womens game was ALWAYS dominated by few players. How many times Everet and Narvartilova met in finals? many many times(they played like 170 times about a half were finals). So the fact that if both sister are in they get into the final should not be an issue! Better promoting is needed and new mangment!
Both tours have a lot to offer it seems that right now ATP is on the rise again and WTA is shrinking a little:)

baleineau
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Monica_Rules
Take a hike!This tournament has been bad but the Venus-Monica crowd was about 4,000 ish

which means only 25% full :rolleyes:

it's simple:

1. the stadium is too big for this event
2. the WTA has not promoted it properly
3. the ticket prices are excessive for short sessions
4. the doubles largely consists of no-names too
5. the players are tired and not playing their best tennis, or prepared to fight (just one 3-set match so far, and there were seven match points to mke it a 2-set match)
6. the lack of depth means that most of the first round matches are way too predictable
7. the WTA's personality drive of 2-3 years ago has become boring and they're struggling to market the tour

Crazy Canuck
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Now I'm the biggest supporter of ATP when people bash their popularity - but this is going too far - in the other direction.

The reason that attendance in LA is SUCH a shock, is BECAUSE we all know that the women are in much higher demand than that.

Not because they can't draw a crowd.

I thought that much was obvious? :o

wongqks
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:38 PM
I actually check out the price of this LA thing and compare with Aus Open.

Using LA price for semis, you can go watch a grand slam final or even a two semifinals. I mean the price really shocked me. Last year in Munich it is the same, the price is so high that it is ridiculous. WTA has to be realistic, they are not selling to diehard fans (there are not many) but they should be aiming at casual fans, who like women tennis and are prepare to pay for it if the price is right. Also someone said there is hardly any promotion around LA. That really shocked me, coz if I was gonna dig out 4 million dollar for an event, I will make every single effort to make sure it is heard and known. Just like the movie industry, if you are gonna dish out a big budget for making a movie, not promoting it is just a waste of money and preuly waste of investment

Crazy Canuck
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by untitled2284
WTA less popular than ATP? You have to be joking! i don't even know the names of most of the top ATP players

Then you don't watch a lot of mens tennis - which I find hard to believe based on the time you spend on atpworld. I'm pretty sure you've heard of Andre, Marat, Lleyton, Federer, etc etc.

:p

wongqks
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:49 PM
ATP is popular as well, there has been a lot of bad news on the ATP side recently becuase of he drop of sponsorship and stuff, but I have to admit, every time I see an ATP event, it is a full stadium, something which i don't think WTA can boost

baleineau
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:58 PM
the new balls campaign has been a success.

besides, men's tennis is played more skillfully and players in the top-50 are fairly evenly matched.

it is rare to see 6-2 6-1 and 6-3 6-0 in men's tennis when two top-10 players are up against each other.

men's tennis is less personality driven. they let the tennis do the talking, hence the crowds at their events are better.

women's tennis is watched a lot on telly, true, but that's because it's cheaper to buy the rights to women's tennis, so casual tennis fans will still watch it.

eurosport is free, whereas as Sky Sports isn't, that's why more watch Eurosport.

wongqks
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:00 PM
I agree with you totally apart from the eurosport bit.

Eurosport cover men tennis as well, and as a matter of fact they usually comare ratings within the station so your theory of why women tennis is more watched is not really valid. Other than that I buy your theory