PDA

View Full Version : Arantxa to hold Press Conference on Tuesday ...

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:49 PM
no idea why as yet

but most likely is that she will be announcing her retirement
You don't hold a press conference to say you're carrying on.

So it looks like the end
that guy in the Fed Cup final probably swayed things.

Serendy Willick
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:52 PM
:sad: :sad: I love you Aranxta, but have some backbone babe:mad: :fiery: I cant believe that after all the fighting on the court that you do, that you are gonna lets some imbicile make you feel bad.:mad: :fiery:

irma
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:53 PM
I hope when she retires, it's not because of that idiot :fiery:

veryborednow
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:56 PM
What did the guy say?

Messenger
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:57 PM
There's still hope. Remember she's still committed to play with Tommy Robredo in Perth.

wongqks
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:57 PM
:sad: Please no arantxa, I hoep she stay on in dubs

[S@nti]
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Arantxa! don´t retire please! :sad:

Zamboni
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:16 PM
yeah, what happened in the fed cup that you all think it makes her retire? :eek:

Nacho
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Arantxa is intelligent enough and if she is going to retire I don't think it is because of that stupid man. Moreover she said she cried when she saw how all the crowd was supporting and cheering for her so much (after the incident), not because of being insulted.

Anyways, do whatever you think you should do ASV :)

venusfan
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:30 PM
So long as it's not Seles

valeria
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:33 PM
""she said she cried when she saw how all the crowd was supporting and and cheering for her so much "

ëven more knowing that was her last match

Venus Forever
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:37 PM
It's would be sad to see her go, but she did have a great career.:sad:

DEETHELICK
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Oh no......

I too think she is going to retire. I support her decision totally, she has acheived so much that she can retire gracefully......

Good luck Arantxa wahtever you do.....I support you 100%

Nacho
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:39 PM
omg valeria...

E. Blackadder
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Please don't arantxa ,

you still rock in doubles :bounce:

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:51 PM
arantxa :sad:

Monica_Rules
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Its sad to hear but not unexpected.

MS
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:14 PM
We'll have to wait....She has said she won't be playing much doubles, hasn't said anything about the singles yet. But, yes, It doesn't look positive that she hold a press conferenc. But well, we'll have to wait...

griffin
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Oh relax, she's just going to announce that she's finally coming out of the closet, and that she's suing Hingis for palimony.

At least, I kinda hope so, I would hate to see the tour lose her.

shirley
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Oh no Arantxa :sad:

JonBcn
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:41 PM
The press conference is at noon on Tuesday, at the Open Tennis Club in Castelldefels. I'll be there (if work give me the time off) so will report all then. Fingers crossed its not what we think, but theres not a lot else it can be really.

Kart
Nov 8th, 2002, 06:17 PM
I only just read about that crowd member being so rude to ASV :(.

Hope the press conference is not bad news .. but I suspect we had all better be prepared for the worst :sad:.

hingis-seles
Nov 8th, 2002, 06:21 PM
I hope she does whatever makes her happy.

She will be missed. :sad:

ttaM
Nov 8th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know the extent of her injury? I hate to see Aranxta go out like this. After that Fed Cup fiasco. I hope she plays one more year. Perhaps she could be announcing that next year is her last year? I hope not this year.

Joseosu19
Nov 8th, 2002, 06:58 PM
:sad:

evaz
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:04 PM
sad :(

treufreund
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Careers have to come to an end at some point. And Arantxa has had a long, glorious career. I think retirement is due but I am sad to see her doing it. I think she should continue to play doubles but really if she wants to move on and do something else I say BRAVO and go for it girl. You will succeed at anything you try, Arantxa. Let's celebrate her achievements and not mourn her losses. The man at Fed Cup had NOTHING to do with any decision Arantxa would make. She has probably been thinking about this for a long time and going out with such a warm ovation from the crowd has to be a great feeling.

Gallofa
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Fingers crossed.

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought she said around the time when she decided not to play Wimbledon that she was going to play the rest of the year and see if her results improved and if she could qualify for the season-ending championships and then make an evaluation as to her playing future. I *swear* this was posted here over the Summer. People were saying this was a hint she might retire at the end of the year if things did not improve for her. She did not do too well the rest of the year, so maybe she will end it with Fed Cup, a nice way to go out for a great champion and Fed Cup meant a lot to her. She is doing so well in doubles though, perhaps this will be a "singles only" retirement and her fans can look forward to seeing her for a few more years!

schris
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:44 PM
I have a strange feeling :sad:

Iconoclast
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:50 PM
I guess this is the end of the road.

Can't think of any other reason why she would hold a press conference at this time.

Gallofa
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:56 PM
LA TENISTA DESVELARÁ EL MARTES SUS PLANES DE FUTURO EN EL TENIS
Arantxa, entre el adiós o una cuenta atrás progresiva
J. SOLSONA y M. ALBA · Barcelona y Madrid
(MARCA)

Un total de 29 títulos individuales, incluidos cuatro ‘Grand Slam’, y 67 en dobles, adornan un palmarés único en el tenis español con independencia de sexos. Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, a cuarenta días de cumplir 31 años y con el recuerdo del número uno mundial en 1995, se plantea poner su carrera en otra dimensión, tras 17 años como profesional en los que sólo ha conocido el sabor de las victorias. En la presente campaña ha vivido, sin embargo, experiencias desconocidas para ella como no ganar ningún partido en uno de los cuatro ‘grandes’ o ser insultada por un aficionado español en su propia casa.

Arantxa dijo, tras perder con estrépito ante Marta Marrero en la primera ronda de Roland Garros, que quizás había llegado el momento de plantearse la retirada. Ayer comunicó que el próximo martes en el Open Sports Club de Barcelona, dirigido por su hermano Emilio, desvelará su futuro inmediato. En un principio, Arantxa tenía pensado jugar una temporada más en el circuito WTA, eso sí, reduciendo de manera considerable su calendario. Sin ir más lejos, la española comunicó hace unas fechas a su pareja de dobles Daniela Hantuchova que se buscará acompañante porque en el 2003 no entraba en sus planes el doble. Del mismo modo, Arantxa hizo saber la pasada semana a Miguel Margets, capitán de Copa Federación, que cuente con ella para las próximas eliminatorias porque se sentía con fuerzas para seguir defendiendo a España.

Convocatoria anunciada
Arantxa avanzó a mediados de año que anunciaría su futuro a finales de año. La convocatoria ya estaba prevista antes de la Copa Federación por lo que sus planes no tienen nada que ver con lo que ha pasado en la última semana. Consultado el entorno de la jugadora, lo que está claro es que las palabras del martes marcarán un antes y un después en su carrera.

Los rumores sobre un posible adiós de la campeona española sobrevuelan desde hace tiempo la ‘Armada’ femenina. Anabel Medina, abanderada de la nueva generación y última maestra nacional, espera que “Arantxa siga en el tenis porque ha demostrado que sigue siendo competitiva. Si tiene ganas de jugar y le respetan las lesiones, siempre es una rival a tener en cuenta por todas las jugadoras. Sus resultados han animado a que jugadoras como yo nos fijáramos aún más en el deporte de la raqueta”.

Anabel coincidirá con Arantxa dentro de dos semanas con la disputa del Masters en el Sant Jordi. En este sentido, la tenista valenciana apunta que “será una rival directa para el título”.

translation coming in a minute :p

Gallofa
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:09 PM
ARANTXA WILL REVEAL HER PLANS FOR THE FUTURE THIS TUESDAY
Arantxa, between saying goodbye or progessively moving away from tennis
J. SOLSONA y M. ALBA · Barcelona y Madrid
(MARCA)

A total of 29 singles titles, 4 Grand Slam included and 67 in doubles, made a career unlike any other in spanish tennis, either for men or women. Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario, 40 days away from her 31st b'day and with the memory of having been the n.1 player in the world in 1995, is thinking about placing her career in a different dimension after a 17 years career as a professional where she has only known success. This year, though, she has had to live through previously unknown experiences like not winning a single match in any of the GS or being insulted by a Spanish fan in her own country.

Arantxa said, after losing badly against Marta Marrero in the 1st round at Roland Garros that maybe it was time for her to start thinking about ending her career. Yesterday she made an announcement that next Tueday at the Open Sports Club of Barcelona (directed by her brother Emilio), she will reveal her plans for the immediate future. Arantxa had considered playing one more year in the WTA tour, reducing considerably her calender. That is why, the spaniard told a few days ago to her partner Daniela Hantuchova that she should be looking for a new partner, since doubles were not in her plans for 2003. Equally though, Arantxa told Miguel Margets, captain of the Spanish Fed Cup team, that he should still count her in for the next ties, since she still thought she had the strenght to keep playing for Spain.

Arantxa said around may that she would announce what her future plans would be by the end of the year. The press conference was planned before Fed Cup, so her plans are unaltered by the events of the last week. Talking to those close to the tennis player, what is clear though, is that the announcement from this Tuesday will mark a clear turning point for Arantxa's career.

The rumours about a possible goodbye from the Spanish champion have been coming for a long time now. Anabel Medina, the most promissing player of the new generation and last winner of the Spanish Women's Masters hopes that "Arantxa will continue, since she has proven she can still be competitive. If she feels up for it and she is not injured, she is always a rival to be taken into account by any other player. Her results are one of the reasons why many players like myself paid more attention to this sport".

Anabel will be also with Arantxa in two weeks when the Masters will be played at Sant Jordi. In that regards, the tennis player from Valencia says that "she'll be one of the players in contention for the title".

Sonja
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Quite sad news. She's such a great champion!

JonBcn
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:28 PM
I really hope she still plays the Masters here in Barcelona. It'll be nice to say goodbye in front of her home town fans.

Double Fault
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:59 PM
I thought she intended t playing on until the next Olympics in Athens. Whatever she decides - Good luck Arantxa.

ASV
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:36 PM
oh no. I'm in tears :sad:

spencercarlos
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Arantxa deserves all the credit of the world she has been at least for me the hardest worker in the game ever! ;)

oggie
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:33 PM
This is such a sad news. As long as I have known tennis, I have known Aratcha, and to see one great player leave who has been there since I saw my first match is very sad. However, at the same time I know that Arantcha's best years are behind her, and that she has had a long, successfull career. If she decides to leave, she will be truly missed.
BTW, I still have no idea who is that idiot and what he said at Fed Cup. Somebody please tell me.

baleineau
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:35 PM
i will miss her too. i was a big fan from 89-93. i got into tennis and WTA particularly after a chance viewing of the RG final in 1989. I had hardly watched tennis then, nor knew anything about the professional game, the players, the structure.

i appreciate arantxa for this. it was her determination to win and never-give-up attitude that i liked the most.

but in 1991 i started liking conchi, and by 1993 conchi became my fave, basically because i thought she was more modest person than arantxa, shy, and playing more stylish and unique tennis.

i hope arantxa plays a bit more, but it's very understandable that she says goodbye now. :sad:

Ajrob
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:22 AM
I don't think she will retire yet...

ChrisGermany
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Interestingly enough, the ARTICLE tells us she steps back from a steady doubles partner and reduces doubles.

I personally think that she won´t play 26 events or whatever again to concentrate one final time on THAT 20 events she has great memories in. A SINGLES FAREWELL tour maybe where she tries to do some damage in.

VAMOS ARANTXA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Experimentee
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:38 AM
I hope its not retirement. She's already committed to Hopman Cup next year, and I assume thats preparation for the Aus Open. So I dont think so, but I will respect any decision she makes. I will be sad if she decides to go though :sad:

BasicTennis
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:46 AM
it's better for her to retire to preserve the great memories of her GS victories.:angel:

Richie77
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Maybe she'll decide to retire at Roland Garros, since she had so much success there.

I'll be sad to see her go...she is a great champion.

ASV
Nov 9th, 2002, 02:45 PM
I really hope she plays like Brussels again or something like Palermo or Vienna where she can win a tournament and get the singles up to the 30th title. If she could do that, then she's gone forever.

raquel
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:14 PM
:sad: god, i hope she doesn't retire! keep fighting arantxa! does marsha know about this?!

rated_next
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:22 PM
It is expected - though I hope she retires after the French Open

Colin B
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:35 PM
It will be sad to see her retire but one day she must and I would rather she did it now than see her fall further down the rankings.

I'm sure there's lots of things she plans to do with her life outside Tennis; so let's wish her well and BE HAPPY FOR HER!!

Thanks, Arantxa, for all the skill, sportsmanship and fun you have brought to the game!!

Atxik
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:02 PM
For more details, read the thread I have posted today...

wave
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Nooo!

Arantxa, please play at least until Roland Garros! Your fans want to give you a real farewell.

But if that's your decision, we wish you all the best for your life off court! You will always be a champion and always one of my two favourites.:hearts: