PDA

View Full Version : Stop Your Bitching & Complaining!

CanadianBoy21
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:51 PM
It's really getting rather annoying!

Who cares if people do ot show up at tennis matches, why do u care, it's the wta problem, not ours, I don't know why you want to make it your problem. Stop complaining since most of u weren't there to support it, I don't care if you are around the world, but if u weren't there then have nothing to complain aobut.

This is the last week of wta tournie in the year, do u really want to waste it complaining?? You are all going to be complaining how you will miss tennis in December, but all u do is bitch and complain. I feel sorry for the moderators also, who are expected to be gods that can fix anything, every thread is 'name change please', I even post one to sho how annoying it is to have 5000 threads the same, but then I erased it, since I don't wanna change my name ;).

Anyways, this is all meant in a good way, for you to realize that this is the last week, and u should enjoy it. Who cares if there is no one there, why is it disrespect, embarrising, ratings are good...
Watch tennis, kim vs. justine, monica vs. Venus, Serena, vs dokic, maggie vs. Jen, these are big matches, u shure u want to miss them counting the people that are in the crowd...

Just bad day already and venting, so if u want to vent, either at me or about this topic, go right ahead :)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Stop YOUR bitching and complaining about the bitching and complaining! :D

Personally, I made comments based entirely on peoples reactions last year at Germany's sparse attendance that went something like this:

"Take the tournament away from those awful German people, they don't deserve it" (I'm sugar coating this, much worse was said).

Well folks, hope the crow is getting passed around to everyone!

DutchieGirl
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:56 PM
well, I think people might be complaining because if that's the best attendance the tourney can get, there is always a possibility of it being cancelled, and so then we have less tennis to watch... I mean if the crowd doesn't go, the organisors aren't gonna keep on propping up the tourney... they need to get money from somewhere! ;)

But I understand where you are coming from, we should just enjoy the tennis.

now if I could just get some of the fecking matches on tv I'd be happy! ;)

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Well but Rebecca that was just in response to all the Europeans who used to look at the sparse New York crowds and say "Take the tournament away from those awful Americans" :-)

So its all just a big karmic crow circle!

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:59 PM
By the way, nice post Superhero. I think we're pretty lucky that some dumb sponsor is willing to put up all this money to pay our WTA stars so handsomely, and that a few dumb tv stations are probably risking poor ratings to give us WTA fanatics matches we want to see.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:00 PM
mishar - not all the people saying that last year were even American - much like I doubt it was just Europeans insulting the American crowds :)

GoDominique
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Becca, here you go: Some of the threads celebrating the move to LA. ;)

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13110

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14541

But there were already some critical voices. :)

DutchieGirl
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:07 PM
*is glad the Aussie Open has great attendance figures* ;)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:10 PM
THanks GoDom - interesting read :o

Crazy Canuck
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:16 PM
*feels a wave of de ja vu*

From last year:

I am sorry for Munich, but I was there last year and there were not many people interested in watching tennis. the olympic arena was almost empty! and the prices for the tickets extremely high!

Insert LA into Munich :D

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:30 PM
yes its all familiar.. somehow the sponsorship money keeps increasing however so it must be working for somebody somehow!
:-p

what_about_me
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Why don't you all SHUT THE FUCK UP and do some real work. None of you are going to change anything so just SHUT UP!:mad:

TSequoia01
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Actually after the huge crowds this weekend, the low attendance figures will be forgotten. :cool:

Aloysius
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Bitchin' and complainin'... it's a sport that can be a lot of fun if you allow yourself. ;)

griffin
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by mishar
I think we're pretty lucky that some dumb sponsor is willing to put up all this money to pay our WTA stars so handsomely, and that a few dumb tv stations are probably risking poor ratings to give us WTA fanatics matches we want to see.

Yes we are, but without butts in the seats and/or in front of the TV, our "luck" isn't going to hold, is it?

Ok, so maybe the threads are overdone, but - it's a TENNIS message board. In theory we're posting here because we're concerned about the sport on some level, and if what is supposed to be the tour's premier event is floundering (or is perceived to be) people are going to talk about it.

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Griffin - I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. My point is that every year for as long as I can remember people have had complaints about the championships like this, no matter where the venue. It's always "floundering" and yet it stumbles on, year after year, sometimes with some great matches and great tennis.
All the complaints are accurate, and I think there are major changes that should be made, and I am very concerned that tennis is a major financial and organizational disaster. The ATP had a huge fiasco with its masters series financially -- and the repercussions of that have yet to be felt. I think for sure the WTA and ATP should combine its year end event and just have the top 8 players on each tour in round-robin.

However, I think there's a basic problem: the unpopularity of tennis in the United States and (I suppose) Germany. I don't understand it, to me it is the best sport, and I don't know what to blame it on, particularly because Americans are at the top of the women's game. If it was basketball, golf, any other sport, people would pay much more to see the top 16 in the world compete. But not tennis, certainly not women's tennis. Obviously the WTA didn't do a good job of publicity, but even then, I think the basic desire of the public is not there.

Maybe it would be there only in Australia. Apparently Shanghai has sold very few of its tickets as well. Or maybe the sponsors are happy being involved even if the attendance is low -- in which case the players get paid, we get the tennis, and I think we should count ourselves lucky the whole event doesn't get cancelled altogether.

:-)

GogoGirl
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:35 PM
What???!!!! I can't believe Jon is trying to implicate Serena in the low attendance circumstance @ the Staples. Talk to the hand for going there.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/sports/1036762202259030.xml

Tickets, anyone?

11/08/02

It's never a good sign when esteemed CNN/SI tennis writer Jon Wertheim notes in his weekly column there's plenty of seats available for a season-ending event on the day the tournament begins. But if you've tuned into the WTA (Home Depot) Championships being played in L.A., you realize the always insightful Wertheim wasn't kidding. It's tough to tell where the empty blue seats begin and the tennis court ends. Yo, L.A., where in the heck are you? It's just mind-boggling, frankly. The event is loaded with big names like the Williams sisters, Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati, et al, but according to the AP, the crowd for Wednesday's night matches was estimated at 5,000. The two afternoon matches had drawn only 200 or so spectators to Staples Center, which seats around 20,000. Who knows, perhaps it was Serena Williams' less-than-gracious interview on Jay Leno that got people tearing up their tickets before the gate. Whatever the case, the tennis has been fantastic. If you get a chance, read up on Seles' miraculous comeback against Lindsay Davenport. And if you're traveling to L.A., get a ticket, doggone it.

I don't think the players are bothered too much by the low attendance. They seem to be more worried about their health and over all well-being.

Look's like they should have kept it in New York. Although - I recently read where the officials in Las Vegas are clamoring trying to hook up a tourney there. They are in the process of building a tennis center and mall extravaganza. (sp?) Andre is also trying to help w/the effort.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/2002/11/07/wta_thursday_ap/

Serena Williams breezes to win in WTA

Posted: Thursday November 07, 2002 11:55 PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Even though her play wasn't pretty, Serena Williams injected some much-needed pizzaz into the sparsely attended WTA Championships on Thursday night.

Wearing a salmon-colored dress, salmon-and-white shoes and a pink headband, Williams defeated Anna Smashnova of Israel 6-2, 6-2 in 54 minutes to open defense of her title in the season-ending championships.

"I have a large bounty on my head now," said Williams, the world's top-ranked player who has a leading eight titles and a 54-4 record this year.

Williams hadn't played a tournament in more than a month, and the layoff showed. Her six aces were offset by six double faults and she committed 28 unforced errors.

However, Smashnova failed to hit a single winner while Williams had 28.

Williams advanced to a Saturday quarterfinal against No. 8 Jelena Dokic, who beat Anastasia Myskina of Russia 6-3, 6-4 in just over an hour in front of a few hundred people at Staples Center.

Williams did her customary pirouette on her way to the net and then blew kisses to all sides of the court in front of only a few thousand fans. A year ago, she won the tournament in Germany when Lindsay Davenport couldn't play the final because of injury.

"The way I played today it's not looking so good," Williams said about her chances of repeating.

Magdalena Maleeva of Bulgaria surprised No. 7 Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia 6-2, 7-5 in another first-round match.

No. 3 Jennifer Capriati played Silvia Farina Elia of Italy in the late match.

For the second consecutive day, Staples Center was mostly empty for the tournament that determines the WTA Tour's final rankings of the year. It was so quiet during the afternoon that dishes rattling in the 20,000-seat arena's restaurant could be heard on court.

Dokic is one of the tour's most well-traveled players. The championships are her 29th tournament of the year and she is coming off a stretch in which she played five consecutive weeks.

By comparison, Serena Williams is competing in just her 12th tournament.

"A lot of players are getting tired and injured. Mentally, I'm really feeling it more than physically," said Dokic, who plans to reduce her schedule to about 20 tournaments next year. "It's really hard to fight out there when you play so many matches."

Dokic and Myskina met for the sixth time this year. Dokic leads the series 4-2.

"Every time she's played differently," Dokic said. "When it's the bigger matches, I think she gets nervous."

Making her debut in the championships, Myskina led 2-0 in the first set and then held serve for a 3-3 tie before losing three straight games and the set 6-3. In the second set, Myskina trailed 5-4 and held two break points on Dokic's serve, but Dokic came up with winners both times. Dokic finally won on the third match point, when Myskina's forehand sailed long.

Maleeva hasn't been a force on the tour since 1995, when she won three titles. But she came into Los Angeles on a roll, having won in Moscow with victories over top-10 players Venus Williams, Amelie Mauresmo and Lindsay Davenport. She also was a finalist in Luxembourg and is ranked 15th in the world.

"The main thing is that I'm concentrating on my matches and I know much better what I want to do with the game," said Maleeva, the youngest of three pro-tennis-playing sisters. "I know what I want to try in the game and I stay focused much better than I used to."

Hantuchova, 19, complained of being tired. She helped her native Slovakia win its first Federation Cup title over Spain on Sunday in the Canary Islands, then traveled to Los Angeles.

"I felt like I got nothing left," she said. "I was making too many mistakes and it cost me the match. I need to take some time off."

Notes: Monica Seles received the first Sanex Hero of the Year award Thursday night in an Internet vote by tennis fans from 90 countries. Seles received 35 percent of the 21,116 votes. Martina Hingis was second with 16 percent, Serena Williams was third with 6 percent and Justine Henin was fourth with 5 percent. The award goes to the player whose self-belief and determination inspires others and is a credit to tennis.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Gogo Girl:

I think Wertheim was trying to be humorous. I should add, however, that I don't find very many sports writers to be funny. :o

locks
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:37 PM
perhaps it was Serena Williams' less-than-gracious interview on Jay Leno that got people tearing up their tickets before the gate. Whatever the case, the tennis has been fantastic.

What does he mean by that? I didn't see the show:confused:

ttaM
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:06 PM
I wish the event could have stayed in NY. I was only pissed about the Munich move because of Monica, and Monica not being told of the move until she read it in USA Today.

Though I do find it very amusing how ticked off some people are that the event moved backt to the US. LMAO! There must be about 10 threads on this subject, now people are digging up old threads. LMAO! :P

:wavey:

GogoGirl
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Official version below.

It appears TPsTB know what they're doing. (?) I say - they need to build the Finales up more, and make it sound more of a CONTEST between year long foes - or something to that extent - for God's sake. They need to promote it better - and there is - no question. Make it sound like a boxing match hype up if need be.

Although - there are many towns and cities where it would be a sell-out around the globe.

I say - move it to "Monte Carlo" whydon'tcha?

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,207%257E12035%257E977897,00.html

Article Last Updated: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 11:31:08 PM MST

(AP /Kevork Djansezian)
Jennifer Capriati hits a backhand return against Silvia Farina Elia of Italy. (AP /Kevork Djansezian)

WTA: Tournament director: Give it time and they will come
WTA Notebook
LOS ANGELES -- Much has been made of the disappointing crowds during the first few sessions of the WTA Championships at Staples Center.

But considering the blase reputation of Los Angeles fans, is it really a surprise?

"That's just what people in L.A. are like,' said
Mona Scott of Los Angeles, at Staples to watch the day matches,
Magdalena Maleeva vs.
Daniela Hantuchova and
Jelena Dokic vs.
Anastasia Myskina. "They don't come out to see the 'underseeds' play. They're so laid-back and have so much else going on.

"I think people will just wait to see the bigger players. I think it'll be better tonight when Serena plays, and later in the week when it gets closer to the finals.'

The only hole in that argument is that the crowds have been small no matter who is playing. An estimated 3,200 people turned out Wednesday night to watch a first-round match between
Monica Seles and
Lindsay Davenport, two of the most popular players in women's tennis. Some of those fans left even before the late match pitting Compton native
Venus Williams against
Patty Schnyder.

"Certainly our expectations were very realistic about day sessions,' tournament director
John Arrix said. "We've been doing this a long time and day sessions, time of year, for indoor events do not do well. You know, you've got kids in school and our expectations were very realistic and accurate.

"Our expectations, going forward for the tournament is a typical tennis tournament pattern, where each session will grow and hopefully have a good final with a solid crowd on hand.

"Tennis is unlike any other sport. It is a sport that you have to set your roots and you've got to establish credibility, and I think that next year, people will understand the validity of our advertising message that this is the top 16.

"You never, in a men's or women's game, get the caliber of a first- round match that you saw last night. That is a final at 95-98 percent of the tournaments on the tour.'

The season-ending tournament was at Madison Square Garden in New York from 1977-2000. Last year, it was moved to Munich, Germany, and attendance fell from 94,133 in 2000 to 36,500 in 2001.

Davenport, a Laguna Beach native, echoed Arrix's sentiments and pointed to the need for patience in building a fan base.

"It takes time for something to grow,' Davenport said before the tournament. "I think that you need to keep it somewhere; I don't think we want to keep moving it around every year.

"I think they really don't have a full five-year plan on this tournament; they don't really know what's going to happen. I think we just need to figure it out as soon as possible and stick to that. And even if it doesn't go well for a year or two or whatever, you just gotta keep it going.'

After 66 tournaments in a season that began Dec. 31, 2001, just about every player at the WTA Championships has complained of fatigue.

After her first-round defeat to the unseeded Maleeva (6-2, 7-5), No. 7 seed Hantuchova said she had "nothing left.' She competed in the Federation Cup for Slovakia last week in Spain.

"Maybe she shouldn't play every week before Spain,' Maleeva said. "I looked at her schedule already before Spain, and I was wondering why she has to play every week. Everybody is tired. I'm dead. You just deal with it.'

Hantuchova has a good reason for pushing herself so hard. Since starting the year at No. 38 in the world, she played in 25 tournaments and has won more than $1,187,000 (fourth highest on the WTA Tour). She has improved her ranking to No. 8.

-- Ramona Shelburne

Persian
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:20 PM
People are bitching probably because one of the major tournaments like this is attracting such a few amount of people to participate in the watching of the greatest tennis players this year, it's just a bit queer seeing hardly anyone fill the seats.

RAA
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:33 PM
well, its even worse that the TV coverage is going to miss today's seles/venus match up. that is just ridiculous scheduling if you ask me.