PDA

View Full Version : Organisers already faking attendance numbers ?

GoDominique
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:53 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news/ap/20021108/ap-wtachampionships.html

Playing in front of a crowd that appeared smaller than the announced figure of 5,000, Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati struggled before advancing in the WTA Championships.

For the second consecutive day, Staples Center was mostly empty for the tournament that determines the WTA Tour's final rankings of the year. Officials said 6,826 tickets were distributed, while total attendance for the day and evening sessions was given as 5,000.

It was so quiet during the afternoon that dishes being cleared from tables in the 20,000-seat arena's restaurant could be heard on court.

Yesterday they also said that there had been 5,000 people for the eevening session. In no way was that true. Rather 1,000 or so.

The truth is probably just too embarassing.

Nov 8th, 2002, 10:55 AM
still better than the 200 (our edited figure: the 6 Belgians who showed up) during the day

Crazy Canuck
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Very unfortunate :(

GoDominique
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Maybe there WERE 5,000, but they were all sitting in that restaurant. ;)

niratti
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:08 AM
they might have more people in the next rounds, i hope :)

wongqks
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:18 AM
well I think they may have counted corporate package tix as well which means that they may not showup until semis or even final. Well a good indication will be tonight Venus vSerena and see how many people turn up, if it is still as dead as today, then I will announced the tournament as a total failure, to be true, Hong Kong can fill up more than 5000 for a Monica Lindsay match let alone a Monica Venus match

schris
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:46 AM
it`s very a sad fact :sad: :o

Williams Rulez
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:35 PM
People must be so busy...

matthias
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:40 PM
commentator said there are 30C outside!!!

so, who want to see indoor-tennis then?

DutchieGirl
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:48 PM
I'd wanna see indoor tennis if it's 30 degrees outside... because the AO is like that and it's soooo hot! ;) Much nicer to sit inside where there is aircon! ;) hehe

matthias
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:07 PM
no, i would like to be on beach, or watching outdoor tennis :)

sure, i would need a lot of sunblock
but i would enjoy the sun ;)

DutchieGirl
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:10 PM
lol OK, well I hate when it's over 30 degrees! lol I much prefer the mid 20's... I always fry when I go to the AO! ;)

calabar
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:12 PM
What EXACTLY was the problem in Munich last year? Anybody knows?

arn
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:33 PM
The tournament in Antwerp has over 10.000 seats and I'm sure they would all be filled every session If the masters were organized in Belgium!

Peridotpixie
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Ah, but would the Williams sisters and Monica play in Belgium? That's the real x-factor. The WTA really needs all the players who qualify to play, or at least to show up.
And the tournament did fine at MSG; it's just a scheduling conflict that keeps them from returning there. They should work something out, though.

gentenaire
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Why on earth wouldn't they want to play in Belgium? :confused:

Monica_Rules
Nov 8th, 2002, 06:03 PM
I think its a mixture of being too expensive and under promoted the crowds yesterday were bigger than Wednesday so i say they will be bigger again today!

wongqks
Nov 8th, 2002, 06:08 PM
if it is in belgium they will still play injury permitted

but I am sure there are technical diffculites for example the money purse will have to be lower coz sponsor will not pay out such a large sum of money for a event for Belgium compare a event in LA.

Kelly
Nov 8th, 2002, 06:52 PM
the thing that pisses me off is......everyone one of us on this site would kill to get to LA and give them all our support...but obviously we cant....due to country, prices, flights acomodation etc....they should do it in a different country each year like the men do.

bobcat
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Actually, I think it's possible the attendance was about 5000. People in LA are famous for showing up very late and leaving very early. So even though 5000 spectators might have shown up they were probably not all there at the same time. I wouldn't even be surprised if lots of people left/arrived after the first match.

selesfan1
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:00 PM
It's so embarassig. I think the tournamnetshould move to Paris, or Houston. What I am mostsurprised about is the fact that when Davis Cup was played here it was full and it's 90% empty now. I also think Anna K, Martina, and Momo missing reallyhurt th tourney. No offense to Anna Smashova,Anastasia Myskina, who deserved to be here but you all aren't household names. And ElenaD took a spot that more people deserved.

iluvtrent
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:04 PM
When did Davis Cup play @Staples??

selesfan1
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:09 PM
I think in 2000 no?

bobcat
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:26 AM
I think that was at the Forum, but I doubt it was full. It's possible it seemed more full if the spectators were all seated closer to the court, but there's virtually no way a Davis Cup tie could fill up the Forum.

iluvtrent
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Understand that in LA there is no way they were going to sellout Staples Center for tennis. I'm sure the organizers are aware of this. They are always empty seats for the Clippers (basketball) and they're a hometown team. I think the WTA wanted the prestige of playing at Staples

GoDominique
Nov 9th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Part 2: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/2002/11/08/venus_seles_ap/

Friday's day and night matches attracted an announced crowd of 8,782; however, it appeared closer to 5,000 at night in the 20,000-seat arena, where black curtains blocked off the upper bowl seating section.

GoDominique
Nov 10th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Part 3:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news/ap/20021110/ap-wtachampionships.html

The announced attendance of 6,559 for the evening matches was the highest of the week, although the 20,000-seat arena was far from full. The afternoon total appeared about half of the 4,788 that was announced.

tennischick
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:36 PM
this is embarassing. there's no way to hide the fact that women's tennis is hurting. identifying the actual causes is another matter altogether...

ttaM
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Yahoo can always be counted on for reliable information :rolleyes: ;)

cireewol
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:08 PM
I really don't believe the tour is hurting. Personally, it appears the WTA owners believed the sport could stand on its own legs, without much promotion (kinda like a Madonna concert). Unbeknowst to them, LA needed a little more twirking than, say, NY or Montreal or Paris.

Commercially, I don't see any problems with the sport. The current top 10 players are, pretty much, household names. The ratings are high; the other venues, excluding this event, had record attendance!

Hell, there were 12,500 at the Semi's and finals of the Charleston Open. By contrast, Charleston has a METRO population of 250k, while LA has 15 million.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:43 PM
tupaclover:

The reason the Clippers' games don't sell out is because the Clippers suck. :p

I don't live in LA, so I wouldn't know: do the Laker games sell out?

Bright Red
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:45 PM
This is the first year, so I suppose attendance should be somewhat low. I would bet that in time, say the next couple of years, we'll see a larger initial turnout.

cireewol
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:22 PM
I find it rather interesting that after 5 or 6 years of record attendances; high ratings on TV; and household names on ALL the major players, One, Uno, Single event dictates the popularity of the sport! Incredible!