Qualifer v (2) Vera Zvonareva

everythingtaboo
Aug 25th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Venus? Ugh. :eek: :tape:

Auf geht's Sabine! Give 'em hell.

Ian Aberdon
Jeez, Sabine is a Bondarenko sandwich...K later today; A at USO! :lol:

Potential meeting with Venus in R2 apparently.

Michael!
good 1st round, she should have no problems with Bondarenko!
And draw is good in general, 3rd round Cibulkova, then probably another match against Zvonareva, which she should beat this time :lol:

ah, I just ignore that possible 2nd round match, I hate it :facepalm:

Sasja
Aug 25th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Nice 1st round to start with for Sabine :)

But the 2nd round :facepalm:

Ian Aberdon
Aug 25th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Let's hope Venus is less than 100%. :devil:

But Sabs has beaten her before...:unsure:

everythingtaboo
Aug 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Let's hope Venus is less than 100%. :devil:

But Sabs has beaten her before...:unsure:

Venus hasn't played since Wimbledon so hopefully she's super rusty. If Sabine's serve is on she could beat her. But I guess we should concentrate on her 1R match first before we worry about Venus.

18majors
Aug 25th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I'll put my money on Sabine on the Venus match.

Carsten
Aug 25th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Wow.. she really is not very lucky with her GS 2nd round opponents :help:

Ian Aberdon
Aug 25th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Isn't she just!

Vera Roland Garros (who she nearly battled past)
Li Na Wimbledon (who she did battle past)
Venus USO (who she CAN battle past) :yeah:

Dorien.
Aug 25th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Let's start with the first round. And yes i'm ignoring that second round.

Nina.
Aug 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Not very lucky with that second round but when there's a good time to play against Venus it's probably now. Auf geht's!

Purple_Rain
Aug 25th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I'm more nervous about Bepa than Venus. I can see Sabine getting frustrated like she did in San Diego -- she will really want to beat Bepa, but won't be able to on a bad serving day. Venus might gift her match to Sabine.

Specter
Aug 26th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Venus is doable, but Bepa is the end of the road, folks. :shrug:

Sabinator.
Aug 26th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Wow.. she really is not very lucky with her GS 2nd round opponents :help:

This :o This girl just hasn't luck on GS draws...

Everything is fine and great, without two exceptions - Venus in 2nd and "good friend" Vera in 4th.

In spite of everything, I believe in her, of course, she has now a great run at hot Dallas, she's confident and she give 100% in every match, for sure. Komm Jetzt!!! :cheer: :inlove:

cosmoose
Aug 26th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Draw doesn't matter for Sabine.

If her serve is clicking, her opponent takes a licking.
If her serve is MIA, then her opponent will celebrate.

HowardH
Aug 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Draw doesn't matter for Sabine.

If her serve is clicking, her opponent takes a licking.
If her serve is MIA, then her opponent will celebrate.

This is true for 99% of players. But there is a small elite group who might beat Sabine even if her serve is working. Venus is one of those players.

Venus might be rusty though. For this reason I think Sabine has a good chance.

CillyUltra
Aug 28th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Sabine tweeted she hopes she can come to New York tomorrow.

hellas719
Aug 29th, 2011, 02:21 AM
GL Sabine! :cheer:

Sorry Sabs, but if it is Sabine vs. Venus in R2, then I will root for Venus. I have been a fan of Vee for much longer, I am a bigger fan of her, and she doesn't have much time left in her career, where Sabine has plenty of time left :shrug:

Ian Aberdon
Aug 29th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Has Sabs made it to NYC yet, anyone know??

Sorana Cirstea took 2 flights to Pittsburgh & then a 6hr drive (!!! :eek:) to get to NYC...maybe Sabs should have taken the Big Red!!! :lol:

CillyUltra
Aug 29th, 2011, 06:35 PM
German news agency "sid" reported that Sabine has arrived at noon in NYC and has her first practice early evening.

Ian Aberdon
Aug 30th, 2011, 06:13 AM
From Sabs, straight from airport to practice, then to hotel.

Alona later today, Venus tomorrow - all being well in today's match.

Not getting much time to adjust to the conditions though. Which worries me. I hope the confidence & form Sabs is carrying to NYC will carry her through both matches.

Sabinator.
Aug 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Sabine begin her campaign in doubles with Sam Stosur in a match against rivals from Cincy - "pair in live" Polona Hercog/Eleni Danilidou :lol:

Specter
Aug 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Sabine begin her campaign in doubles with Sam Stosur in a match against rivals from Cincy - "pair in live" Polona Hercog/Eleni Danilidou :lol:

Looks like a pretty hopeless draw. The Power of Love double will be tough enough and then it's King/Shvedova in R2. They got past them in Wimby, but I'm not sure they can pull it off a second time.

CillyUltra
Aug 30th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Sabine beats Alona Bondarenko 63 63 :yeah:

crazillo
Aug 30th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Solid win for Lisicki. She can't win each and every match 61 62. :) Now good luck vs. Venus.

Nina.
Aug 30th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Overall a very solid performance. But she was broken too easily when she served for the match imo. Congrats though :D

18majors
Aug 30th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Congratulations Sabine

everythingtaboo
Aug 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Sabine! :cheer: :hearts:

Venus up next. Saw a bit of her match yesterday & she didn't look as rusty as I was hoping. :rolleyes:

Michael!
Aug 30th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Good start, was not easy for sure as she just arrived yesrerday but it was solid performance!
1st serve strong as always, but some space to improve over 2nd serve as almost always and a few UEs too much but was important that she won it fast today.
As Nina said, she shouldn´t get broken like that when serving for the match but that wasn´t a big problem today against a player like Bondarenko!

Now great match against Venus, Sabine should be fit enough and got used to the conditions now after her first match! :D
I just hope the winner goes far in the tournament, hard for me to cheer for one of those two :sobbing:

Dorien.
Aug 30th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Solid performance indeed :) Could be better on some moments but for this match it didn't matter. :)

Sabinator.
Aug 30th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Go Sabine!!! :cheer:

hellas719
Aug 30th, 2011, 07:03 PM
WD Sabine :cool:

I want Venus now though, sorry :p

Specter
Aug 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
WD Sabine :cool:

I want Venus now though, sorry :p

I can never forgive you. :ras:

matthias
Aug 30th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Sabine vs. Venus would be night-session match-up
but Venus won´t get Night-session again

crazillo
Aug 30th, 2011, 08:16 PM
It's the third match on Arthur Ashe

Mike81
Aug 30th, 2011, 11:03 PM
6-3, 6-3. I guess Sabine can't always bagel and breadstick players :p. But R2 against Venus, really look forward to it :cool:

serendipitynow
Aug 31st, 2011, 04:39 AM
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

18majors
Aug 31st, 2011, 02:40 PM
Good luck with Venus, Sabine.

Mike81
Aug 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM
Sabine with a walkover to Round 3 as Venus Williams has withdrawn :eek:

Michael!
Aug 31st, 2011, 08:01 PM
Sabine def. Venus walkover :shrug:

Was looking forward to that match, Venus obviously isnt able to play 2 matches in a row anymore, really a shame!
Good for Sabine of course, great chances to go far here now, especially as she has a bit more rest now, which can be only good for her!

Dorien.
Aug 31st, 2011, 08:11 PM
It's sad she had to win on this way. But I guess she can use this extra day off. :)

CillyUltra
Aug 31st, 2011, 08:11 PM
I'm sorry for Venus. Sabine really had some bad luck in her career yet, so some kind of compensation for her.

crazillo
Aug 31st, 2011, 08:13 PM
Kratzt mich ehrlich gesagt nicht, Venus Zeit ist meines Erachtens eh dem Ende nahe, ihre kryptischen Aussagen zu der letzten Erkrankung helfen da auch nicht weiter. Aber ich hatte mich den ganzen Tag auf dieses Match gefreut, v.a. weil es wohl auch einige Kritiker hätte verstummen lassen können, die mir in GM tierisch auf die Eier gehen...

Mojobackhand
Aug 31st, 2011, 08:47 PM
I'm hurrying home and.... whuuttt? Walkover?
Happy for Sabine anyways, even though I was so looking forward to this match. Off now, for Sam.... :)

Michael!
Aug 31st, 2011, 10:50 PM
Sabine plays Falconi next, who beat Cibulkova, who killed herself with a terrible performance!

I can´t see Sabine losing at all, Falconi is a consistent player but without weapons at all, average serve, Sabine will win in 2 sets unless she makes +50 UEs or sth :unsure:

crazillo
Aug 31st, 2011, 11:00 PM
Falconi is solid, but Sabine should take this match in straight sets.

Specter
Aug 31st, 2011, 11:04 PM
If Sabine loses to Falconi, she needs to commit seppuku. I'm gonna get flak for this, but there's just no other way of putting it. :shrug:

hellas719
Sep 1st, 2011, 04:57 AM
Venus :sad:
But now Sabs has a really good draw :)
And Vera Z wasn't great today so a good chance for Sabine to go even further if she can get past Falconi :D

Sabinator.
Sep 1st, 2011, 09:21 AM
Wow ... total surprise, I would not in my life expect this turn of events... I feel a little sorry for Venus :sad:

Now against Falconi - she just pushed every ball vs Cibulkova who spoiled a looot of balls... So, all is in Sabine's hands in this match - Keep going! :hearts:

Nina.
Sep 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM
I'm still sad that we didn't get to see the match against Venus but at least Sabine is in the next round now. From what I saw from Falconi she should definitely win that match.

Sabinator.
Sep 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
Sabine is now 15 ranked in WTA :bigclap:

18majors
Sep 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM
Top 10 is within reach.

Mike81
Sep 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Really should win R3 and another chance probably against Zvonareva who she's been close to beating but lost under unfortunate circumstances. Big chances for Sabine in New York, really hopes she takes them!

everythingtaboo
Sep 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
I like her chances of making the QF. Sounds like Sabine is the only one who can beat herself when she plays Falconi. Plus, Bepa wasn't playing that great yesterday. Went to 3 sets against K Bond who Sabine beat in straights in Dallas no?

Michael!
Sep 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
The "problem" is that Vera never plays great against Sabine, she played quite bad at RG and San Diego, well, just average like her whole season is but Sabine just couldn´t take advantage of it as she didn´t make the important points although she had all chances to win, I hope this changes this time, but she has to beat Falconi first anyway!

Dorien.
Sep 1st, 2011, 08:00 PM
They lost first round in doubles :sad:

CillyUltra
Sep 1st, 2011, 08:26 PM
Sabine plays the third match on Grandstand tomorrow (right after Julia).

Specter
Sep 1st, 2011, 08:56 PM
They lost first round in doubles :sad:

Love conquers all, they say. :lol:

I'm not too upset about this loss, to be honest. They've lost to the Power of Love before and King/Shvedova were waiting in the next round anyway and I don't think they would have beaten them this time around. They're just not balanced enough to be a top-level double. :shrug:

Mojobackhand
Sep 1st, 2011, 09:11 PM
:sad:
Was there a live stream/tv broadcast? Would really love to watch that match, even though they lost....

miffedmax
Sep 2nd, 2011, 03:03 AM
Based on what I saw in Texas, Sabs should roll pretty easily.

Ya'll, I cannot tell you how much more of a Sabs fan I am now after seeing her play live and seeing how nicely she treats her fans (including me). I'm having a hard time going from being a one-player fan to following multiple players (sorry, I can't help the fact no one player can replace the bebanged one in my heart) so maybe I post more in Gm than here, but I really do hope Sabs takes it all.

Anyway, I suspect Sabs is more focused on singles than dubz, so she should be ready to go and make the Sweet 16.

everythingtaboo
Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Sabine is now 15 ranked in WTA :bigclap:

:worship: Top 10 by the end of the year maybe? Fingers crossed.

everythingtaboo
Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Ya'll, I cannot tell you how much more of a Sabs fan I am now after seeing her play live and seeing how nicely she treats her fans (including me).

That's what happened to me. It wasn't until I saw her play live at Hopman Cup in 2009 & met her (and her dad-- who was super nice & even gave me travel advice for Berlin :lol: ) that I became a big fan. I was so impressed with her game and the fact that she was literally the nicest tennis player I had ever met was icing on the cake.

Anyways, back on topic: Auf geht's Sabine! :bounce:

18majors
Sep 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Sabine is clearly the better tennis player but she needs to be aware that she is playing a hometown girl and needs to take the crowd away.

keithb1961
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Sabine playing beautiful today and looking as sweet as always :)

Sabinator.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Sabine crushes 6/0 :inlove:

Sasja
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
:cheer:

Really like that USO outfit :hearts:

crazillo
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Lisicki is the best out of the three Germans when she is on.

Sasja
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
Important hold there :)

6-0 3-1*

CillyUltra
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
Sabine beats Irina Falconi 60 61 :)

Expected, but nevertheless impressive.

Sasja
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
Nice and easy win over Falconi 6-0 6-1 :D

And into the 4th round :cheer:

Zvonareva up next....again. Time for revenge :devil:

Michael!
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
Great play, 27 winners in 13 games is great, not that many UEs, just too strong for Falconi who doesn´t have any big weapons!
Some tough moments only when she had problems with her serve, she just needs to improve her 2nd serve but that is really the only bad thing in her game , rest is great and I hope she takes the chances this time, draw is open, I would say that Sabine is the best player left in this half of the draw when she is on but mental strength also is important, so we´ll see, 4th round is already great for sure :)

Sabinator.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:44 PM
Total domination :inlove:

mk27
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Very good match from her :yeah:

Mojobackhand
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
:kiss: Super!

Fragglespank
Sep 2nd, 2011, 09:00 PM
Great win.

It's almost disappointing, because I waited all day to see her match and it was over so quickly. :lol:

Specter
Sep 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
I know Bepa is my main fave, but I really want Sabine to finally beat her this time. For one, because Bepa has been playing very pedestrian tennis this season, while Sabine has been on fire. It would be a shame if that wasn't rewarded finally. It might also prompt Bepa to get back to her winning ways, which is absolutely needed.

The other thing is, if Bepa wins and meets Sam in the QF, she will get annihilated as usual and we all know how badly Sam holds up in the latter stages of these tourneys. I just think if Bine goes past Bepa, she'd be a lock for the final and could do a lot more damage to Ree than any of my other faves. And I also think she will need the experience for all the future slam finals she'll be in. ;)

And last but not least, Sabine will likely have to play Bepa a lot more in the future and I don't want this match-up to become a purely mental thing with her, where she doesn't believe she can ever win against Bepa, because she should normally beat her quite handily with her game.

So, go Bine and do us all proud by finally climbing your Everest! :bounce:

Mike81
Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:50 AM
Sabine in menacing mood, no chance for Falconi with Sabine simply too powerful and also accurate today. Now the big challenge against her nemesis Zvonareva, she should be really prepared and up for this match. Especially after 2 heartbreaking losses that so easily could have been wins. Come on Sabine!

miffedmax
Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:59 AM
How cool is it that Sabs asked for an extra ball so she could hit one to all four stands?

Always thinking of her fans.

BTW, any true Texan knows Sabs already won the most important title.;)

Lena's bangs.

Purple_Rain
Sep 3rd, 2011, 05:01 AM
I'm really hesitant to analyze Sabine-Vera after what happened with Venus. I think both players know what to expect from each other, so there won't be any surprises -- it will just come down to who is making their shots and serving well. That, and the mental edge Bepa will gain in a close match.

Wert.
Sep 3rd, 2011, 06:37 AM
:cheer:

Amazing.Fantastic Sabine.Keep going :cheer:

Nina.
Sep 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Very nice :D I couldn't watch it but looking at the result I'd say she did very well.
I'm curious how she'll play against Bepa. She had big chances to beat her the last times they played and I really hope that this time Sabine will do it.

18majors
Sep 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Sabine has a good chance, go for it.

CillyUltra
Sep 3rd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Sabine plays the second match of the night session on Arthur Ashe tomorrow.

Oh, she will love it.

Specter
Sep 3rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Sabine plays the second match of the night session on Arthur Ashe tomorrow.

Oh, she will love it.

Meh. Won't be well visited after the guys are done. It's also just nasty timing for us Europeans. I'm not even sure if I should stay up to watch my two favorite players because of this. God knows how long that Murray match goes... :rolleyes: Guess I'll have to get up in the middle of the night and hope they haven't started yet. :o :sad:

everythingtaboo
Sep 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hopefully Sabine wraps this up in straights. Bepa hasn't been playing that great so hopefully Sabine will take advantage of that. Time for some revenge. :drool:

I don't like when they put ATP matches on first. Especially if that ATP match is a Murray match. God knows how long he'll take to win/lose.

Nena_xxx
Sep 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I wanna watch Sabine playing tonight, but that means that I'll have to stay up until morning. Shame, but Sabine is worth it! :cheer:

Nina.
Sep 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Second night match after Murray :sobbing:

LightsOut!
Sep 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
:banana:

keithb1961
Sep 4th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Its tough when two of your favorites are playing each other, but I think I love Sabine a little more.....Go Sabine :cheer:

18majors
Sep 4th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Good luck Sabine.

Mojobackhand
Sep 5th, 2011, 02:28 AM
First set gone. *1-1
Anyone else watching?

Mike81
Sep 5th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Yes. Too many errors and wasted chances in the 1st set. Playing better in the 2nd but Sabine missed 4 break points as well in Zvonareva's first service game of 2nd set. Frustrating to watch. Let's hope she turns it around!

everythingtaboo
Sep 5th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Sabine. :sad: Too many silly errors, and her serve seemed to abandon her today. But still, gotta be pleased with a 4R-- best result she's had had in NYC yet. It's promising of what's to come.

lovethetennis
Sep 5th, 2011, 03:46 AM
It really felt like Sabine was going to get a win over Vera this time. This loss hurts like hell :sobbing: :[

Mike81
Sep 5th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Well all in all very disappoting match. Unlucky the past 2 matches against Vera but this time simply didn't play well. Her serve simply didn't work at all :( Still 4th round is decent result to follow up Wimbledon semi final. Hope she can finish the year off well.

Sasja
Sep 5th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Sabine :hug:

Hope it would be a bit closer than this. Still a 4th round is a nice result for her :D
She had a good US series: SF in Stanford, QF Carlsbad, title in Dallas and a 4th round here :yeah:

Mike81
Sep 5th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Yes overall not bad at all in the USO series. A title, a semi and a quarter and a 4th round appearance in the slam. HC not her best surface but she'll get better on it with experience I'm sure.

Sabine :smooch:

Nina.
Sep 5th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I really thought she had a shot this time, so it is sad to see her lose in straight sets. But at least she didn't injure herself this time ;)

Mojobackhand
Sep 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I was surprised that her body language was really negative from the start. Like she didn't believe she could do it. Even though she played better in the second set she kept looking to her box on every UE she made. No confidence today. :sad:

Maybe all the talk about being the dark horse put too much pressure on her. :mad:

Sabine, rest up. Take it easy. This is still a good result. :hug:

Mike81
Sep 5th, 2011, 09:23 AM
24 wins from the last 30. 3 of those losses have been to Vera. I'd prefer the 'tennis gods' keep Sabine and Vera apart in the draw next time..

crazillo
Sep 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Yes, her body language wasn't positive at all. She didn't really believe she can do it. Vera is slowly getting into her head. :(

Ian Aberdon
Sep 5th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Yes, sad today. Alas my home internet connection has gone awol, so I only have limited access. Was really hoping she would pull off a win this time, especially coming off the WTA Title at Dallas & how she continued her good form initially here. But not to be.

Vera just too good for Sabs at the moment. AT THE MOMENT.

But I hope Sabine isn't too downhearted. She's had a great run & I hope she & her team are looking at the overall picture.

2x WTA Singles Titles, 1x Dubs Title, SFs incl Wimbly, QFs...ranking from 218 to Top 20...all in all, not a bad year.

She'll continue to work hard, fight & charm us all in the years ahead with her adorable personality. And that can only be good for the game.

The Sabine Army will only continue to grow. :yeah:

kapociak
Sep 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Poor Sabine :crying2:
I felt so bad after this match. :sad:

Specter
Sep 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Bepa is in her head. From the very start she looked like she had zero belief in herself and that's how she played. Very disappointing, this sort of attitude, considering her pre-match talk of revenge. Getting only 5 games is a horrible way to end the Open and the American season and it means Sabine should start praying she doesn't meet Bepa in another tournament until she has sorted out her mental instability.

Maybe she should start getting some tips from Sam on how to beat Bepa, because she will show us all how it's done in the QF.

18majors
Sep 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Still a good tournament, Sabine.

Ian Aberdon
Sep 5th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I loved her headband though! :p But I agree Bepa is in Sabs' head at the moment. She needs to be hypnotized into thinking Bepa is Falconi!! :lol:

Dorien.
Sep 5th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Wert.
Sep 6th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I think this is positive tournament for her.She gain huge amount of points and hopefully learned what to do next time against Vera :lol:

hellas719
Sep 7th, 2011, 06:07 AM

18majors
Sep 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Is Tokyo Sabine's next tournament?

Sabinator.
Sep 7th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Is Tokyo Sabine's next tournament?

No, Sabine won't play Tokio. Next is Beijing

Ian Aberdon
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Let's hope the people of Beijing give Sabine a warm welcome. I'll bet she'll wow 'em! :D

Wert.
Sep 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I will miss her in next weeks :bigcry:

Specter
Sep 7th, 2011, 09:22 PM
So she's basically off for a month now?! :eek: :scratch:

joy division
Sep 7th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Doesn`t she always take a little break after GS tournements ?:shrug:
She did so after Roland Garros and Wimbledon this year, I think.

hellas719
Sep 8th, 2011, 02:45 AM
^After RG she played Birmingham the next week :p

18majors
Sep 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Have a good rest Sabine.