PDA

View Full Version : The Weakest Service Actions in Women's Tennis

Steffica Greles
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:49 PM
There are some pretty tragic actions amongst even the very top players. Their success, therefore, is probably a testament to their groundies - but think how good they could be if their service actions were technically better.

Some of them look like they're lucky to get the ball over the net at all with the actions they use.

Here are the ones that spring to mind:

Jennifer Capriati
Jelena Dokic
Elena Dementieva

I wouldn't include Conchita or Martina, whose serves, though relatively ineffective, are not plagued with doublefaults.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:59 PM
aniko kapros...

baleineau
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:00 AM
considering that conchi gets about 80% first serve in, most of them with weird slice or kick, i'd say she has an effective serve. the reason she gets broken a lot, though, is because she is not aggressive after hitting her serve. she serves and then takes 3-4 steps back behind the baseline.

i think capriati's serve is very shaky and liable to double faults. henin, too, throws in a lot of doubles.

Steffica Greles
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I agree - but I meant Conchi's hardly gonna win a match with her mighty serve, is she? LOL

It's not a liability, but it's hardly something she'll destroy someone with. Same with Martina H.

Berlin_Calling
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:31 AM
Iva Majoli's service motion affects her serve negatively. She looks like shes gonna fall over sometimes and I always get sooo nervous when she is hitting a second serve on big points.

AUSBOY
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:56 AM
I wouldnt say Dokic's second serve is weak! Seles commented in Paris Indoors how deep and effective it was!

Weak second serves definitely go to

Hingis
Dechy - its terrible
Conchita
Arantxa
Rubin

tennisIlove09
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:00 AM
People say Venus' serve has a flaw in it. I guess there is, but I still find it odd that with a "flaw" she won 4 Slams; was #1.

I think Hingis' problem is she hasn't gotten BETTER in the last few years.

Jen would have a good serve if she could get her toss together. That's the problem with her serve.

The girl who beat Henin at the French has a bad serve. It's just bad. I don't recall her name

Berlin_Calling
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:33 AM
Aniko Kapros tennisIlove ;)

Havok
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:36 AM
hello people, Dokic does not have a problem with her serve!!!!!! she can serve pretty darn fast, just look at her 1st round match at the Championships against Myskina!!! that just prooves to you that she's good.

Berlin_Calling
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:46 AM
Hi Naldo, and welcome.
It doesnt matter if Jelena can just serve hard. Plenty of players can do that, sheesh, I can do it too. Its a matter of the combo of speed, placement, and consistency. I think that Jelena's serve is missing the consistency.

tennisIlove09
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by C_tOpHeR_p
Aniko Kapros tennisIlove ;)

Thank you! Had Henin been 100%, Kapros wouldn't have won the match, I'm sure.

But thanks for the info :hearts:

Gandalf
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Jen used to have a better motion at the beggining of the 90's, I don't know why she changed it.

Sabatini's motion is the worst I've seen. She stayed with the raquet low for AGES before hitting the ball. I've also read that Francoise Durr had an even worse one.

Chance
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Cappy's serve was on fire in AUS OPEN 2001- Davenport had said that she was expecting some df (in their semi) but they never came. Her serve has gone downhill since then.

It's quite interesting that Vee has the fastest serve on the tour and yet there is still room for improvement.

Messenger
Dec 13th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Tanasugarn's serve is another that is often talked about. There's no body weight transfer and she drops her head. The problem is that her serve is all arm, although it's not terribly slow or anything.

Does anyone know what I mean? It's technically a bad serve, whereas Dokic, Henin, Capriati etc. just rush or double fault.

DEETHELICK
Dec 13th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Elena Dementieva actually hits 2 first serves. At times, I have been shocked to see her 2nd serve faster than her first!!!!

She actually falls off the serve, and doesn't have a forward motion into the court to utilise all the power she has. I mean she is hitting serves in the 100 mph with this patehtic motion, imagine if she fixed it?

Hopefully her new coach will get her ass in gear!

cooolconchita
Dec 13th, 2002, 03:04 PM
what is the point of this thread? it always turns into a bashing session, just like any other, when we discuss a players weaknesses.

rhz
Dec 13th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Antonella Serra Zanetti, if you saw that match against Hingis in US Open, it is so slow and land mid in the service box. Too bad Hingis isn't playing well either, or she might have broken her each and every time! I wonder if she plays against a power player, i bet the only points that she will get off those players are from unforced errors!

jrm
Dec 13th, 2002, 04:12 PM
angeles montolio must have the worst second serve in the world so she really depends on high procentage of first serve - not like it helped her this year despite winning a tournament

mboyle
Dec 13th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by sunset
Cappy's serve was on fire in AUS OPEN 2001- Davenport had said that she was expecting some df (in their semi) but they never came. Her serve has gone downhill since then.

It's quite interesting that Vee has the fastest serve on the tour and yet there is still room for improvement.

Serena's serve is lightyears better and that is why she wins all their matches and will win them all for the forseeable future. Speed isn't everything. Venus serves fastest, but it isn't even IMHO a top 4 or 5 serve on tour.

Bigkimfan
Dec 13th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Kapros!!!:rolleyes:

Come on Kim!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

slydevil6142
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Serena's serve is lightyears better and that is why she wins all their matches and will win them all for the forseeable future. Speed isn't everything. Venus serves fastest, but it isn't even IMHO a top 4 or 5 serve on tour.[B]

:rolleyes: thats why she hits more aces than almost anyone and has one of the highest winning percetages of either first or second serve on tour. I mean venus has some things wrong with her serve but theres no denying even with those few flaws her serve is easily in the top 3.

nuriboy
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:14 PM
As far as second serves is regarded I think Hingis has the weakest among top players. Capriati isn´t that bad but for a former world no.1 she serves to many df´s.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by cooolconchita
what is the point of this thread? it always turns into a bashing session, just like any other, when we discuss a players weaknesses.

ROTFLMFAO...You have all people have the balls to talk? You bash Venus in every thread even when the thread has nothing to do with her...:rolleyes:...I will never forget your comment about "Mars and her little brother"...:rolleyes:

GoDominique
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Aniko Kapros' :o

Jen's - it seems to get worse and worse ... :confused:

Venus' 2nd serve.

Tanasugarn's.

Dominique's wasn't great either - 2nd serve was always too flat and without much spin, so many, many DF's ... ;)

Monica_Rules
Dec 13th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Venus 2nd is so attackable thats one of the reasons Bovina beat her.

Dokicfan17
Dec 13th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Aniko Kapros' serve is very weak, but its consistant, but she gets broken like all the time lol

but the one that breaks down so much and isnt so effective, I dunno ....um Capriati

Darran
Dec 13th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Id say amanda coetzer, i know she is small, but it amazes me why she doesnt lose every service game to love coz it is just so attackable.

Penne1
Dec 13th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Virginie Razzano has a problem with her serve. I haven't seen her play in a number of months and I know it was something she was working on and very aware of.....hope she has sorted it out cause the rest of her game is pretty strong.

Her serve was really letting her down in Melbourne and Paris this year.