PDA

View Full Version : Is this true about Conchita Martinez?

Sammo
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
That she had gained enough points to be number 1 but Monica Seles decided to come back and was given the number 1 position? I heard it somewhere a long time ago

justineheninfan
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
No that was never true. Steffi Graf always had more points than Conchita, until late 97 when Graf's ranking had gone down the drain with being out injured but Conchita's was barely top 10 by then herself. Conchita did pass Sanchez Vicario in points in late 95 and early 96. Conchita was officialy ranked #2 during that time though, since Graf and Seles were co-#1 ranked, and everyone else was just ranked below that without skipping a spot to accomodate the two #1s. However in slams the #2 ranked would be bumped down to a #3 seeding until after 96.

hingis-seles
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
I doubt it. When Monica returned Steffi had clearly taken over from ASV as #1 with titles at RG and Wimbledon. Conchita had won every clay-court event imaginable in 1995 but had no GS F on her ranking after Wimbledon 1995, which is when Monica returned.

@little levity
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
I doubt it. When Monica returned Steffi had clearly taken over from ASV as #1 with titles at RG and Wimbledon. Conchita had won every clay-court event imaginable in 1995 but had no GS F on her ranking after Wimbledon 1995, which is when Monica returned.

Aranxta was #1 for only one week, as I can recall.

4 titles and none of them RG.

Sombrerero loco
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
:facepalm:

irma
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Conchita's winning streak in 1995 was between loses against a player who was on a longer and better streak anyway. People tend to forget that reality and act like she was the best player. She never was.

vozas
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
:help:

justineheninfan
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
It just shows what a dire state womens tennis has been in the last few years though to think back in the day a player like Conchita reaching #1 would have been unthinkable. Even when she was in the top 3, she was always miles behind #1. Yet she is far superior player to 3 or 4 of the very recent #1s today.

spiceboy
Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
Aranxta was #1 for only one week, as I can recall.

4 titles and none of them RG.

Could you actually lie more in just a couple of lines? :facepalm:

Arantxa was #1 for 12 weeks, one more week than Venus.

And 3 of her 4 GS came in RG (in 12 Grand Slam finals)

@little levity
Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Could you actually lie more in just a couple of lines? :facepalm:

Arantxa was #1 for 12 weeks, one more week than Venus.

And 3 of her 4 GS came in RG (in 12 Grand Slam finals)

I've never lied in my life. Wouldn't know how to.

spiceboy
Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:27 PM
No that was never true. Steffi Graf always had more points than Conchita, until late 97 when Graf's ranking had gone down the drain with being out injured but Conchita's was barely top 10 by then herself. Conchita did pass Sanchez Vicario in points in late 95 and early 96. Conchita was officialy ranked #2 during that time though, since Graf and Seles were co-#1 ranked, and everyone else was just ranked below that without skipping a spot to accomodate the two #1s. However in slams the #2 ranked would be bumped down to a #3 seeding until after 96.

Yes, the thing is Conchita always had 2 players ahead of her in the rankings, being one of these players Seles with her special ranking of #1.

Something people don't know is that Conchita sued Ellesse, her clothing sponsor in that time, as they didn't want to pay Conchita her $550,000 bonus for reaching #2 as they claimed she was never #2 because there were 2 players ahead of her in the rankings. So while Conchita was officially #2 in the world, for the clothing company she was #3. In this bizarre situation, a London jury determined that Conchita was actually ranked #2,5 so she never reached #2 and she lost the trial. Nevermind, let's not forget that Ellesse was paying Conchita $2M every season and for someone who never won a Grand Slam wearing their brand and considering this happened more than 15 years ago, that was an awful lot of money :oh:

Hurley
Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Just because Sammo has trouble understanding things, and there is a lot of information provided in this thread which might short-circuit his brain, I just want to clarify the situation for him.

That she had gained enough points to be number 1 but Monica Seles decided to come back and was given the number 1 position? I heard it somewhere a long time ago

The answer is NO.

spencercarlos
Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
That is certainly not true at all, and especially not in the other ranking system.

What is true is that Conchita would have been number one in 1995 weeks after the Usopen UNDER ANY POST 1996 ranking system, eventhough Graf had won 3 slams that year and had lost only 1 match the whole season at the time. That is how the cumulative points works, unlike the average :facepalm:

spencercarlos
Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Yes, the thing is Conchita always had 2 players ahead of her in the rankings, being one of these players Seles with her special ranking of #1.

Something people don't know is that Conchita sued Ellesse, her clothing sponsor in that time, as they didn't want to pay Conchita her $550,000 bonus for reaching #2 as they claimed she was never #2 because there were 2 players ahead of her in the rankings. So while Conchita was officially #2 in the world, for the clothing company she was #3. In this bizarre situation, a London jury determined that Conchita was actually ranked #2,5 so she never reached #2 and she lost the trial. Nevermind, let's not forget that Ellesse was paying Conchita $2M every season and for someone who never won a Grand Slam wearing their brand and considering this happened more than 15 years ago, that was an awful lot of money :oh:
Yeah i remmember that. I don´t really get what criteria they used to rank Conchita 2.5 on the court... Back then Steffi and Monica were co-ranked number ones, but the rule was that for the first 8 tournaments her average was not gonna be divided by 14 which was the minimun divisor but to her real amount of tournaments played.

Conchita had strong streaks in 1995, one on clay but when it came down to the French Open she lost to Graf, and in the summer hardcourts she lost to Seles very soundly at the Usopen 6-2 6-2. She bar her lone win over Sanchez Vicario in Rome, she lost every other match to the top players, reached no slam finals, so in all any chance for her getting to number one was just as fake many recent number one players players that got there with no slam wins and even some with 0 slams finals.