PDA

View Full Version : Kim Interview In Financial Times

Londoner
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Apologies if already posted!

This weekend's FT magazine had a several page interview with Kim at her home in New Jersey. She's also made the front cover in a full photo so she must be deemed newsworthy by the FT at least!

Some interesting, if predictable, insights:

Her home is unassuming in an ordinary neighborhood and is being renovated. Kim loves to cook and be domesticated - kitchen is the only room completed in the house and there is a full page pic of her in it! She is not in tennis to be a celebrity but because she loved tennis. She forgot to wear the watch from her sponsors and her mother in law had to bring it to the house for the photo shoot as Kim is contracted to wear it! She says that she has chosen to play fewer tournaments to be at home and look after Jada.

The interview though is seriously mis-timed as it is all about whether or not she will defend her US Open title. The interview was carried out in July and not amended by the FT with even a footnote to take into account recent events. She was training for 5 hours per day. She says she hoped to play through 2012 to be in the Olympics, but says she doesn't understand the rules for getting into the Olympics, how many players can play, and how many matches there will be!

The interviewer said that she was nice, down to earth, but managed to evade certain questions and be pinned down about future plans.

Carl Maes is interviewed briefly and he states he would only work with Clijsters - he even says if he got a call from Sharapova he wouldn't work with her. Maes feels that Clijsters has the chance of playing through 2012 and ending her career as one of the all time greats. But that was of course July.

Kim also credits her new found psychological success to Sam Verslegers who she says he has taught her techniques for controlling her nerves and finding strategies out of difficult situations on court.

The article alludes to the strange state of the WTA and the slam less Wozniacki and Zvonereva, blaming the injuries and absences of the real top players on the state of the Tour.

Kim states that players can start playing for the wrong reasons and that she won't chase ranking points or prize money.

There are some nice pics, and while Kim said in the interview that she 'hopes' to play the Olympics, and it says she was training hard for the US Open, overall I had a feeling that with the recent injury, recent withdrawal from US Open, and the vagueness of Kim's commitment that we could be looking at the end. The last thing Clijsters says is: 'being a wife and mother is my priority but if I can't balance tennis with it, it's very easy to give the tennis part up'.

Londoner
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
For those who cant get the newspaper, Here is a link:

Www.ft.com/magazine

Sam L
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Kim also credits her new found psychological success to Sam Verslegers who she says he has taught her techniques for controlling her nerves and finding strategies out of difficult situations on court.

LOL I knew it. If you thought she "retired", that's what she was really doing. :lol:

ZODIAC
Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Kim should talk about herself and not about other players experiences.Some players dont have sponsors and have to play all the time to cover their expenses plus she also used to chase points before she got injured in 05.If a player wants to be a celebrity let them follow their wish and it works for them so be it,if being a plain Jane suits Kim so be it.She seems to be forgetting that tennis is about performance before large crowds and if you win you are celebrated ...being a celebrity goes with the territory.

borrowedheaven
Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
LOL I knew it. If you thought she "retired", that's what she was really doing. :lol:
And she had a baby just to make sure nobody would suspect what she was really doing?

Kim should talk about herself and not about other players experiences.Some players dont have sponsors and have to play all the time to cover their expenses plus she also used to chase points before she got injured in 05.If a player wants to be a celebrity let them follow their wish and it works for them so be it,if being a plain Jane suits Kim so be it.She seems to be forgetting that tennis is about performance before large crowds and if you win you are celebrated ...being a celebrity goes with the territory.
If you read the interview you would see that she said that, and that it's fun once in a while. The only thing she sais is that playing tennis in order to became a celebrity isn't the right motivation. Which is her opinion, but I assume many people agree with it.