PDA

View Full Version : Question about Jelena Jankovic aka THE EMPRESS....

Adrian.
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Was she always such a pusher? :oh:
I mean, I didn't see her for a long time till yesterday and what I saw was ultimate pushing...
I mean 2 winners in the first set...:spit:

I thought JJ isn't a pusher...or was she always? :unsure::scratch:

Kworb
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
It is hard to describe her game... I mean it looks so slow and defensive, but she is always moving the ball around really well and she likes to control the point, and yes in the past she would go for winners at the right opportunity, particularly her BHDTL. But most of her winners are because she wrongfoots the opponent. She's not really a counterpuncher either because when she is attacked she usually does these squash shots to reset the point.

BlueTrees
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Her forehand is completely useless. It used to be a great shot but now she loops it way too much and it's so ineffective

Joey Darling
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't call her a pusher. However, I don't know what you would call her.

eDonkey
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
She's way too far from being a pusher.The stats cannot be used right now. :shrug:
As Kworb said she likes to run for the balls and start controlling the point at once, mixing the pace of the ball.She fired more winners in the past, but yesterday it was more like waiting for the right ball for a winner to come to her.Some amazing shots yesterday on her backhand and at the net. :lick:
She was really pushing at times in the match, but Maria was making so erratic that this was just the right move for that part of the match.She is quite unpredictable - she might be pushing at once and immidiately chasing the pace and attacking.

KBlade
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
She used to be a counter-puncher, but her movement and ground-strokes have deteriorated quite badly over the past couple of years with injuries and lost confidence. Her backhand which was once her go-to shot is now really just basically a solid shot for her. During 2007 and 2008, you never knew when she was about to fire a winner off that wing, now I just don't know, she seems to have lost the balance she once had off that side, and has developed a habit of pulling off the shot rather than transferring her body weight through.

She has never had a brilliant forehand, but it was at it's best, solid. However, she did lack potency on that wing to put balls away, which ultimately cost her in big matches, such as her Semi-final against Ivanovic at Roland Garros. Multiple times she had opportunities to end points, but she just could not hit the winner off the forehand and allows Ivanovic back into it. These days, I cringe when-ever she hits a forehand. It's always awfully loopy, and generally totally lacking penetration, simply sitting up in the court and asking to be clobbered.

I hope she can take away some confidence from this week and start committing to her shots. It was really enjoyable to watch her actually coming into net again. She really has some underrated skills at the net, and probably some of the best reactions, especially when it comes to body shots.

I really enjoy watching Jelena play well, but I also find her terrible when she plays badly. I still think she's a counter-puncher, she feeds her opponent a solid diet of reasonable pace, and doesn't junk ball very often, but she just seems to be afraid to go for her shots when she gets the chance, or misses badly when she does.

Andy.
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
It never seems like she hits the ball cleanly the sound off her racket just doesnt sound right. Her strokes used to be smoother and she ht thru the ball bettrr. Now she is brushing up the ball too much.

Sam L
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
When did she become the Empress?

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:08 AM

http://i53.tinypic.com/21mrg20.jpg

eDonkey
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01665/queen2_1665506c.jpg

SoBizarre
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
It never seems like she hits the ball cleanly the sound off her racket just doesnt sound right.

Well, at least one can actually hear sound coming off her racket. The same can't be said about Sharapova :rolleyes:. You know, over 100 dB grunts jamming ANY other sound...:lol:

Renalicious
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:29 AM
I think sometimes she relies heavily on her defensive game too much... Other times she gets the mix perfectly right.

For example in the 2010 IW Final, she played almost a perfect aggressive match but also was her brilliant usual defensive self.
She's definitely not a pusher though. A pusher just looks to put balls into play pointlessly...Jelena does play a slow-paced agame (atm, anyway) but she's trying to do something with the ball at least.

GoofyDuck
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:03 PM
Yesterday she was pushing :sad:

tennisbum79
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
She was crown Empress after being Lady Ja Ja.
No words what royal court made the decision, the Serbian government had no comments when reached.
But Lady Ja Ja heself said, after meeting the queen of England, she though being Lady Ja Ja was becoming a bit boring

tennisbum79
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Yes she was, and moonballing.

She was able to redirect the ball DL on both sides, but the short were weak, they were harmless and ineffective.

You would have you were watching a drill for Sharapova to reach from side to side; Jankovic, as the coach, making sure she timed the shots so that Maria can reach them.

duhcity
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
There are times when pushing is the right way to play tennis.
Like about 10 straight games yesterday when Maria couldn't play tennis. Why take the risk if you're going to win the point anyway?

Her problem is not being able to mix in aggression effectively. She would go for FH or BH winners when the timing wasn't right, and push or make stupid drop shots when she should have attacked the ball.

Although her net game is getting semi better

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Well, at least one can actually hear sound coming off her racket. The same can't be said about Sharapova :rolleyes:. You know, over 100 dB grunts jamming ANY other sound...:lol:

sorry but this is funny. :lol: :happy:

BIGTIME. :o

DefyingGravity
Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
So La Reina JaJa actually wasn't hitting the ball so soft against Benesova. She really was going for it, I think against the harder hitters, because she hasn't had chances to play them in a while, she's going to be feeling weird and stupid at times.

vozas
Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
She's not a pusher, that's for sure. She knows very well what she's doing and unlike Moonballniacki she usually redirects the ball, mainly down the line.

Yes she doesn't hit very cleanly in the ball but I don't think she has ever. She has already explained that she doesn't change her grip from FH and to BH, hence some of the apparent mishits.

I agree with what someone posted about her FH being the main reason for her not beating Ivanovic at the FO semis. She really can't put any pace at all on those ball. From time to time she does place them nicely, especially CC, but she has no power whatsoever off that wing.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen her play a decent drop shot. And god knows she always tries to. But she's been pretty neat at the net.

Spring Pools
Aug 22nd, 2011, 04:04 PM
It never seems like she hits the ball cleanly the sound off her racket just doesnt sound right. Her strokes used to be smoother and she ht thru the ball bettrr. Now she is brushing up the ball too much.

Her forehand looks wonky. I think it's western, but it seems like she hits it really late or something.

Adrian.
Aug 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
so what, she is...nothing? :spit::lol: