PDA

View Full Version : Is this the closest we've ever been to a slamless Top 3?

AnomyBC
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:14 AM
We're getting pretty close to a slamless Top 3 of Wozniacki, Azarenka and Zvonareva. Granted, it probably won't happen because Zvonareva has a lot of points to defend at the US Open, but nevertheless, I feel like it's a good time to ask the following questions:

1. Has there ever been a slamless Top 3, on either the men's or women's side, in the history of tennis?

2. In the likely event that there hasn't, are we currently closer to that now than we ever have been before?

3. And on a related note, had there ever previously been a slamless Top 2 before Wozniacki and Zvonareva?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide the answers to these questions. I figure posting this thread is easier than doing the necessary research myself :)

Sam L
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
Definitely NOT on the men's side. That's for sure.

Purple_Rain
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:25 AM
Were Safina and Jankovic ever the top 2? I don't remember much from women's tennis in 08-09.

Joelina
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:37 AM
Were Safina and Jankovic ever the top 2? I don't remember much from women's tennis in 08-09.

yes, in october 2008 JJ was 1. and Safina 2., third was Serena and she has grandslams and fourth was Dementieva but Elena didn´t get ahead of Serena as No. 3. but JJ, Safina and Dementieva that would be also slamless top 3

AnomyBC
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
Interesting. Was there ever a Safina/Wozniacki Top 2? Or what about when Clijsters and Mauresmo were slamless #1s?

rockstar
Aug 21st, 2011, 10:19 AM
Interesting. Was there ever a Safina/Wozniacki Top 2? Or what about when Clijsters and Mauresmo were slamless #1s?

nope, different peak periods

thegreendestiny
Aug 21st, 2011, 10:40 AM
Azarenka reaches one fluke slam SF and now she's in the top 3. :help:

pesto
Aug 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM
I suppose that if Sharapova does OK but doesn't win, and Zvonareva goes moderately deep, it's possible we could even end up with a top four with no current slam holder, 3 of whom have never won one.

With Clijsters out, that will be true of the top four seeds for the Open in any case.

Steven.
Aug 21st, 2011, 10:55 AM

When Wozniacki reached top 2, it was basically a struggle between Jankovic, Venus and Wozniacki for that spot, behind Serena. Safina dropped so far by then already that it wasn't even funny :sad:

Renalicious
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Safina/Wozniacki were different periods. :p During mid 2010 Safina was practically sinking like a rock. Both Jankovic and Venus had runs at #2 during 2010 though. Venus just before the French Open and Jankovic shortly after it. Wozniacki eclipsed them both after she went on a spell during the USO Series (winning Montreal, New Haven) and became #2 (#1 seed at the USO), and of course Serena wasn't playing so she kept winning and got to #1. :p

hingis-seles
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport were ranked #1 and #2 in 2001 without holding any Slam titles.

Caesar1844
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:09 PM
Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport were ranked #1 and #2 in 2001 without holding any Slam titles.
Hang on. Are we talking about never having won a Slam, or being top 3 without currently holding a Slam title?

What about early in 2003 when Clijsters was #1? Henin was lurking around and her first GS was the FO. Mauresmo took the ranking in 2004. Did the three of them get the top three spots at any stage before April, or was Serena always in there?

I kind of suspect it's never happened.

Sombrerero loco
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM
its way better having azarenka in the top 3 than zvonareva...

AnomyBC
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:47 PM
Safina/Wozniacki were different periods. :p During mid 2010 Safina was practically sinking like a rock. Both Jankovic and Venus had runs at #2 during 2010 though. Venus just before the French Open and Jankovic shortly after it. Wozniacki eclipsed them both after she went on a spell during the USO Series (winning Montreal, New Haven) and became #2 (#1 seed at the USO), and of course Serena wasn't playing so she kept winning and got to #1. :p

OK, so was there a time when the Top 2 was Wozniacki/Jankovic? And if so, who was at #3 and #4?

AnomyBC
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:49 PM
Hang on. Are we talking about never having won a Slam, or being top 3 without currently holding a Slam title?

What about early in 2003 when Clijsters was #1? Henin was lurking around and her first GS was the FO. Mauresmo took the ranking in 2004. Did the three of them get the top three spots at any stage before April, or was Serena always in there?

I kind of suspect it's never happened.

I was talking about a Top 3 of people who have never won a slam. Although people can feel free to discuss the other question too :)

killerqueen
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:54 PM
OK, so was there a time when the Top 2 was Wozniacki/Jankovic? And if so, who was at #3 and #4?

Jankovic had fallen down the Top 10 by the time Caro was #1.

Dexter
Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:19 AM
We can soon have a slamless (I mean players that dont hold a Slam win currently) top4. If Serena wins USO for example, we could end up with Caro, Vika, Maria & Vera at the top... :help:

pav
Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
its way better having azarenka in the top 3 than zvonareva...
Why:confused: but then you do have loco in your name!

duhcity
Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:36 AM
We can soon have a slamless (I mean players that dont hold a Slam win currently) top4. If Serena wins USO for example, we could end up with Caro, Vika, Maria & Vera at the top... :help:

Yep. It's actually almost guaranteed to happen if Serena wins, as it's looking unlikely that Petra or Na will be doing better than Vika, Maria, and Vera at the Us Open.

AcesHigh
Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:41 AM
Slamless top 4

I'm not sure if that's funny or sad

dsanders06
Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:55 AM
Slamless top 4

I'm not sure if that's funny or sad

Atleast we won't have Venus at #2 despite not making a Slam final that year :shrug:

KBdoubleu
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:45 AM
Atleast we won't have Venus at #2 despite not making a Slam final that year :shrug:

I guess you don't know how rankings work? She had a slam final on her ranking when she was number 2 last year. As well as 2 tournament victories, runner ups at four other tournaments (including YEC, Miami and Madrid). Take your hate elsewhere.

And if we're using your twisted logic - Wozniacki, Zvonareva, and Azarenka have not reached a slam final this year either.

duhcity
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:53 AM

We already have a World #1 who hasn't reached a slam final in almost two years :shrug: Not a huge deal.

dsanders06
Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:04 AM
I guess you don't know how rankings work? She had a slam final on her ranking when she was number 2 last year. As well as 2 tournament victories, runner ups at four other tournaments (including YEC, Miami and Madrid). Take your hate elsewhere.

As does Maria... hence why it was hypocritical for AcesHigh to deride a "Slamless top 4".

AcesHigh
Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
As does Maria... hence why it was hypocritical for AcesHigh to deride a "Slamless top 4".

....how is it hypocritical when there wasn't a slamless top 4 last year :weirdo:

theFutureisNow
Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:03 AM
It is pretty unlikely that there will be a slamless top 4.

Also, when most people use the word "slamless" they are talking about a player who has never won a slam. Defining slamless as "hasn't won the last 3 slams" would be so unusual as to be considered wrong.

Subtracting US Open points, here is the current top 6. 3 of the top 5 have won a slam.

1 Caroline Wozniacki 8285
2 Maria Sharapova 6066
3 Vika Azarenka 6015
4 Na Li 5666
5 Petra Kvitova 5525
6 Vera Zvonareva 5420

AnomyBC
Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:30 AM
So Maria winning Cinci has now made the possibility of a slamless Top 3 after the US Open even less likely, which I guess is a good thing :) And it will become even more unlikely if Li Na wins New Haven. But it could still theoretically happen if Zvonareva reaches the Finals or Semifinals at the US Open, Serena wins and Sharapova, Li and Kvitova all go out early. And it could also happen later in the year if Zvonareva and Azarenka win some big tournaments. But it looks like we're probably safe for the time being :)

Cleffa
Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:51 AM
It is pretty unlikely that there will be a slamless top 4.

Also, when most people use the word "slamless" they are talking about a player who has never won a slam. Defining slamless as "hasn't won the last 3 slams" would be so unusual as to be considered wrong.

Subtracting US Open points, here is the current top 6. 3 of the top 5 have won a slam.

1 Caroline Wozniacki 8285
2 Maria Sharapova 6066
3 Vika Azarenka 6015
4 Na Li 5666
5 Petra Kvitova 5525
6 Vera Zvonareva 5420

Yeah I was totally confused too when reading this thread until I got to your post. I thought the definition of the word "slamless" is describing a player who has never won a slam and not a player who has not won a slam within the year. If it's the latter case then there are many more occasions in history that the top 3 players haven't won a slam within the year than the top three players are slamless players. Just nothing special putting maria in the list and changing the definition of slamless to those who haven't won a slam within the year.

atominside
Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:57 AM
slamless means without slam. I mean when Davenport was no.1 for all those years w/o winning a slam in those years, it wasnt a huge problem. Same should be said for maria if she reaches the top tier of the rankings.

silverwhite
Aug 22nd, 2011, 05:03 AM
Defining slamless as "hasn't won the last 3 slams" would be so unusual as to be considered wrong.

Not at all. We're talking about the rankings here and since they are determined by the points accumulated during the most recent 52 weeks, it's interesting how many players can get to the top without having points from a slam win. It says something about consistency :shrug:

Raiden
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:00 AM
Not at all. We're talking about the rankings here and since they are determined by the points accumulated during the most recent 52 weeks, it's interesting how many players can get to the top without having points from a slam win. It says something about consistency :shrug:

What's special about that?

Almost every year (especially since the points system change in the late 90s) there have been plenty times when the top spots were occupied by players who have won a slam but not within that same year or 52 weeks.

On the other hand there are very few times when multiples of players that did NOT (or not yet) win a slam congregate the top of the rankings.

silverwhite
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:10 AM
What's special about that?

Almost every year (especially since the points system change in the late 90s) there have been plenty times when the top spots were occupied by players who have won a slam but not within that same year or 52 weeks.

On the other hand there are very few times when multiples of players that did NOT (or not yet) win a slam congregate the top of the rankings.

Never the top 3, apparently :shrug:

swim4life227
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
Yeah I was totally confused too when reading this thread until I got to your post. I thought the definition of the word "slamless" is describing a player who has never won a slam and not a player who has not won a slam within the year. If it's the latter case then there are many more occasions in history that the top 3 players haven't won a slam within the year than the top three players are slamless players. Just nothing special putting maria in the list and changing the definition of slamless to those who haven't won a slam within the year.

Hunny Maria just hasn't not gotten a slam within the last year, if she fails to take home the USO, come AO time it will have been FOUR years.

I really just can't believe how big of lead Caroline has on #1 and she doesn't even have a slam final on her ranking right now. Hell she has 2 mid-tournament slam losses even too. She could also probably lose round 1 of the USO and still have her #1 ranking secured by a decent margin.