PDA

View Full Version : Rumors: Mortensen is leaving Li for Caro

Spring Pools
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:28 AM
According to Matt Cronin's twitter, Mortensen might be leaving Li Na to go coach Caroline Wozniacki. (Apparently it's also happening Hogstedt style since Li Na's camp doesn't know a thing about it)

Hopefully Mortensen stays with Li as she's been doing great with him.

Serenus Christ
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:32 AM
dramaaaaaaa

L'Enfant Sauvage
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:33 AM
:o Who in their right mind would be doing that now?

Ayumilover.
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:35 AM
Yeah so what if it is true shrug:

Nana is way out of his league

mckyle.
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:36 AM
Wozniacki fired her dad? I'm so behind.

goldlion
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:40 AM
It's not like there's a long-term relationship between them anyways. Any moreover, their relationship is like an advice rather than coaching. People like to steal things from Na - the goodies. Perhaps Caroline saw the success of Maria and decided to do the same. But I doubt success would come until next year.

Spring Pools
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:43 AM
Wozniacki fired her dad? I'm so behind.

Wozniacki fired her dad is confirmed, the mortensen thing isn't.

Serenus Christ
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:56 AM
It's not like there's a long-term relationship between them anyways. Any moreover, their relationship is like an advice rather than coaching. People like to steal things from Na - the goodies. Perhaps Caroline saw the success of Maria and decided to do the same. But I doubt success would come until next year.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liuutuxeSt1qgri72o1_500.gif

pokey camp
Aug 21st, 2011, 06:00 AM
According to Matt Cronin's twitter, Mortensen might be leaving Li Na to go coach Caroline Wozniacki. (Apparently it's also happening Hogstedt style since Li Na's camp doesn't know a thing about it)
Well, let's hope Na either follows Cronin or logs into TF tonight so she can get the latest on all this. :lol:

Shaun:::
Aug 21st, 2011, 06:26 AM
didnt he say he wont leave Nana:confused:
i read it in a chinese news

Sassy-Na
Aug 21st, 2011, 06:40 AM
didnt he say he wont leave Nana:confused:
i read it in a chinese news

yes. :p he said "side by side".

Steven.
Aug 21st, 2011, 06:46 AM
why would he leave Na? she's so much more successful than Caro this year.

Serenita
Aug 21st, 2011, 06:56 AM
:o Who in their right mind would be doing that now?
this!!!

ArturoAce.
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:03 AM
This must mean she will win USO now! :lick:

tennnisfannn
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:13 AM
Perhaps Li is impossible to work with esp after she starts making 40mil next year.

Keegan
Aug 21st, 2011, 10:27 AM
I don't know why he would, but I've learnt that Li's coaches aren't very reliable.

Mistress of Evil
Aug 21st, 2011, 10:33 AM
Poor NaNa :crying2: the lightning do strike twice in her case :bigcry:

M.P
Aug 21st, 2011, 10:34 AM
he said he won't
and they have contract, so no way, Na learnt from what Thomas did to her

Jorn
Aug 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Mortensen only agreeded to coach Na Li untill US Open, so he's free after that, but he has family and said he don't want to be a full time traveling coach... but maybe he has changed his mind...

Renalicious
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:02 AM
Everyone leaves Na. :awww:

Libertango
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
I hope this isn't true. On ES the other day they said Caro's new coach (whomever that may be) isn't ready "to travel on tour yet"... I took that to mean he's busy doing something else at present and can join Caro at a later date. I hope that "something else" isn't coaching Na.

cn ireland
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM
I'd be very surprised if this happens!!

hdfb
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM
As long as Na has her husband ;)

But on topic, I'm sure her coach wants to see some of that endorsement money and will stick around for enough of that :p

young_gunner913
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:01 PM
I heard about this on twitter the other day too. :unsure: He's a fool if he does.

Sombrerero loco
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM
please caro choose demekhine :drool:

Noctis
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:39 PM
Dont send her an email this time
Send her a basket of fruits

hurricanejeanne
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:48 PM
The WTA with coaches is like high school girls with boyfriends. They just keep rotating the dudes around. :lol:

pwayne
Aug 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM
Wozniacki and Mortensen seem to be the natural fit since both are from Denmark. Was Mortensen giving P Wozniacki advise when P Wozniacki was coaching in the past? If rumor is true, I believe Li already have an idea when Mortensen first came on board and would not be surprised if Mortensen told Li that he would leave if Wozniacki wanted him to become coach. Overall, Li has had bad luck in coaches for the past year with Hogstedt and Mortensen.

Keegan
Aug 21st, 2011, 01:22 PM
Li - Forever Alone :sad:

Slamniacki
Aug 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM
article in Ekstra Bladet http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/tennis/article1604062.ece

possible choices :

1.Michael Mortensen
2.Antonio Van Grichen
3.Michael Joyce
4.???????????????????

C. Drone
Aug 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM
please caro choose demekhine :drool:

or Na if Mortensen leaves her. I dont care. Just somebody bring him back. :sobbing:

tennisbum79
Aug 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM
why would he leave Na? she's so much more successful than Caro this year.
Like some CEOs of big companies, coaches can be ambitious; they want to make their names in turnind around a failing enterprises.

If the new is confirmed and Mortensen signed on to coach Caro, look for him to move on whether successful or not.

If he is successful in turning things for Caro, he would be in demand with a reputation of someone who can turn things around.

If he is not successful, there could be circulating rumor that he and Caro did not agree the game plan he thought would make Carol successful. And he still comes out unscaved.

timafi
Aug 21st, 2011, 02:53 PM
what a horrible idea :help:

Li's a much better athlete and player than Caro :shrug:

dsanders06
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM
Honestly, as a Li fan, I'm not worried about Mortensen leaving her :shrug: Pretty much all he's helped her with is the mental side of things, keeping her more calm and on an even keel. She didn't make major changes to her game like Wozniacki is seeking to do - Na always had the goods, it was just about producing them at the right times. Hopefully, now that Na and her team have seen a relaxed atmosphere serves her best, they'll be able to provide that even if Mortensen leaves.

Serenus Christ
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
Erm, moving to Caro would be the sane thing to do.
Li Na is 29.. she only has a few years left and could be very hard to work with (language barrier etc.)

Caroline is 21, even if she just hangs around the top 10-20 for the rest of her career, its a better long-term deal.

Even though I dislike Caroline, I'd leave Li Na for her, she is a better long-term investment.

Jimmie48
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:36 PM
I don't know why people are this surprised about this rumor, he was one of the most likely candidates to begin with. The statement that they can't reveal the new coach yet and he's not ready to travel with her yet would perfectly add up.... they´ll reveal it after the USO when his contract with Li is up.

If it is indeed him, I just hope he goes all in and it's not some kind of half-ass approach where he dosen't travel to all tournaments with her.

And to those who can't understand what would motivate him: He's Danish, she Denmark's biggest athlete, everybody's doubting her abilities to win a slam... is there a bigger challenge for any coach? If he can successfully transform her game and make her a (multiple) slam winner his whole nation will be thankful.

Steven.
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:41 PM
And to those who can't understand what would motivate him: He's Danish, she Denmark's biggest athlete, everybody's doubting her abilities to win a slam... is there a bigger challenge for any coach? If he can successfully transform her game and make her a (multiple) slam winner his whole nation will be thankful.

Haha yeah you're right. Not sure why I couldn't think ofsuch obvious reasons earlier. Silly me! It'll be good for his resume too if he does manage to turn around Caro's slump and turn her career into something bigger and better.

The Norwegian
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:42 PM
I got balls and will travel.

Steven.
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Like some CEOs of big companies, coaches can be ambitious; they want to make their names in turnind around a failing enterprises.

If the new is confirmed and Mortensen signed on to coach Caro, look for him to move on whether successful or not.

If he is successful in turning things for Caro, he would be in demand with a reputation of someone who can turn things around.

If he is not successful, there could be circulating rumor that he and Caro did not agree the game plan he thought would make Carol successful. And he still comes out unscaved.

It seems like the right thing to do now in hindsight. It's always going to be a risk investing in anything, whether a company or in this case a player and it'll definitely be beneficial if the risk pays off. If not he can always coach other people. I mean, he's already helped Li Na a lot this year so he would/should already have credibility.

Spring Pools
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM
Honestly, as a Li fan, I'm not worried about Mortensen leaving her :shrug: Pretty much all he's helped her with is the mental side of things, keeping her more calm and on an even keel. She didn't make major changes to her game like Wozniacki is seeking to do - Na always had the goods, it was just about producing them at the right times. Hopefully, now that Na and her team have seen a relaxed atmosphere serves her best, they'll be able to provide that even if Mortensen leaves.

That's not exactly true. He's improved her serve so she can get more onto it. He's taught her how to slide on clay, and he's taught her to use touch shots.

Slutiana
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:48 PM
Li Na is 29.. she only has a few years left and could be very hard to work with (language barrier etc.)

Caroline is 21, even if she just hangs around the top 10-20 for the rest of her career, its a better long-term deal.

Even though I dislike Caroline, I'd leave Li Na for her, she is a better long-term investment.
Mortensen has been working with Na for like 5 months and has already got her a slam title. She's going to be making money that Karolina (and Piotr) can only dream of.

18majors
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM
Mortensen has been working with Na for like 5 months and has already got her a slam title. She's going to be making money that Karolina (and Piotr) can only dream of.

Unfortunately, coach doesn't get a cut of the endorsement money.

Jimmie48
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM

Money is not everybody's priority though. Depending on how patriotic he is, it may just mean much more to him to turn a Danish girl into a slam winner.

And he`ll surely get more recognition for that at home... I doubt the Chinese care much about him..in Denmark everybody will if he takes the job.

-NAJ-
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:09 PM
It looks for me that Van Grichen is without job so he is trying to be mystical and get some atention, maybe I'm wrong:lol:

Q.are you new caro's Coach?

AVG: who knows...

dsanders06
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
That's not exactly true. He's improved her serve so she can get more onto it. He's taught her how to slide on clay, and he's taught her to use touch shots.

I don't think her serve or touch is significantly improved :shrug: Her movement on clay was much better than usual this year though, so I'll give him that... infact, that should probably be a priority for him to work on with Wozniacki, seeing as how she moves/slides so poorly on clay for such a good athlete.

Jane Lane
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:17 PM
Dumb fuck if he does. :facepalm:

Jimmie48
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM
First and foremost, Caro needs someone who can give her the mental strength to be more agressive when it counts. He dosen't have to reinvent the wheel..the tools are already there... she's just too afraid to use them when things get tough.

Novichok
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM

This. If Li was such hot shit then he wouldn't dream about leaving. LMAO at people telling a grown man what he should do business-wise (without all of the specifics).

@danieln1
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Those Scandinavians coaches always do that with Na, why is that???

Hopefully this time won´t be via email

C. Drone
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM
First and foremost, Caro needs someone who can give her the mental strength to be more agressive when it counts. He dosen't have to reinvent the wheel..the tools are already there... she's just too afraid to use them when things get tough.

then she needs Krajan. :spit: though Domi wont be happy :lol:

Martian KC
Aug 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM
Let him do it, so Na can win the Open!:hearts:

*JR*
Aug 21st, 2011, 06:24 PM
possible choices :

1.Michael Mortensen
2.Antonio Van Grichen
3.Michael Joyce
4.???????????????????

4. Brian DeVillers (if Caro's mother is hot) :tape:

Laura_VeeFan
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:00 PM
He is so stupid...

Who in their right mind would leave Li for Caroline? :facepalm::help:

Apoleb
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:04 PM
This. If Li was such hot shit then he wouldn't dream about leaving. LMAO at people telling a grown man what he should do business-wise (without all of the specifics).

Have you thought maybe about the $$$$$?

Jimmie48
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:08 PM
No real news from the New Haven presser today, Caro did confirm that she's been working with the new coach since this summer though.

DefyingGravity
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Then if she's been working with the new coach since the summer, Mortensen couldn't have been working with her in public. They must strictly have been on talking terms.

Maybe he isn't the coach (not going to say it, but just throwing that out there).

Jimmie48
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:20 PM
Then if she's been working with the new coach since the summer, Mortensen couldn't have been working with her in public. They must strictly have been on talking terms.

Regardless if it's Mortensen or not, I find it fascinating that nobody has spotted the new coach even though she's been working with him already.

DefyingGravity
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:32 PM
^ I know, shocking right? The new coach must have been filling a correspondence role so far.

goldenlox
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM
She sometimes works with the adidas team. So if she's been around this guy for months, my guess is its one of the adidas guys, maybe Cahill, but one of those guys who are around her training anyway.

LCS
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:44 PM
Meaning: Li will win the USO.

tennisbum79
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:45 PM

Maybe he isn't the coach (not going to say it, but just throwing that out there).
If this true, it is kind of betrayal for Li Na.
After all, she was paying him.

Novichok
Aug 21st, 2011, 08:20 PM
If this true, it is kind of betrayal for Li Na.
After all, she was paying him.

How is it a betrayal? What are the details of their contract? It's just business. It's not like he's some close personal friend. I'm sure Caroline will pay him too.

Spring Pools
Aug 21st, 2011, 08:21 PM
I don't think her serve or touch is significantly improved :shrug: Her movement on clay was much better than usual this year though, so I'll give him that... infact, that should probably be a priority for him to work on with Wozniacki, seeing as how she moves/slides so poorly on clay for such a good athlete.

It's slightly improved for the serve and more noticeable in the touch shots- esp at the French Open.

tennisbum79
Aug 21st, 2011, 08:23 PM
How is it a betrayal? What are the details of their contract? It's just business. It's not like he's some close personal friend. I'm sure Caroline will pay him too.
He was under contract, drawing a salary while coaching another as an "interview excercise" and negotiating another contract

It is like any other employee/employer

juki
Aug 21st, 2011, 08:58 PM
It's 100% not Mortenson. Li Na's team denied it and Cronin confirms its not him. Caro refused to answer questions about who her coach is during the New Haven press hour, but dropped hints that she's been working with him for a few months. I guess shes waiting to make the announcement with a special unveiling or press release or something. :shrug:

TennisReporters (http://twitter.com/#!/TennisReporters) Matt Cronin
OK I'm hearing that Wozniacki's new coach is NOT Carleson, Groenefeld or Mortenson. Now I'm pretty stumped

Jimmie48
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:00 PM
Oh my god, maybe it is Navratilova indeed :lol:

Valanga
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:04 PM
so is it Demekhine :spit:?

-NAJ-
Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Still no news about Caro's coach?

Jane Lane
Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
I still stand by what I heard during the USO on ESPN. They said Caro's new coach was coaching an ATP player at that time.

Lundgren (sp?) and Wawrinka just split.

Patrick345
Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
I still stand by what I heard during the USO on ESPN. They said Caro's new coach was coaching an ATP player at that time.

Lundgren (sp?) and Wawrinka just split.

Was that before or after Wawrinka pushed that 5th set against Young like the biggest p***y in the world. :tape:

Jane Lane
Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Was that before or after Wawrinka pushed that 5th set against Young like the biggest p***y in the world. :tape:

:lol: After DC last weekend.

Jorn
Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Still no news about Caro's coach?
Latest news was, her dad said there won't even an new coach found yet...

Pris
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
who coached by him now?

Drake1980
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
:eek:

Valanga
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Li needs him back, probably?

VishaalMaria
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
If it's true, I hope it doesn't rock Na's already low confidence.

Jorn
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Mortensen said on TV he don't want to be fulltime WTA coach for family reasons...

Big_Banana
Nov 4th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Na split with him in september, but I hope she recalls him.