PDA

View Full Version : L.A. an embarassment

Volcana
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:20 PM
It looks AWFUL seeing 50 or 60 people watching the WTA's marquee event in an auditorium built 18,000. AWFUL. They have to fire some people. This is pathetic! Why was every collegic tennis program in California GIVEN tickets to this event? had they NO idea how bad this would look on TV? What a bunch of amateurs!

griffin
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Their pr stanks, too - guess how many lines of coverage they got in the GLOBE today (not counting score lines)? Moni's upset and all?

Zip, zilch, nada.

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:44 PM
it does seem pretty ridiculous. sad for the WTA. hope they learn from this.

LaFawntanitra
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Sorry yall I wasn't even surprised. It just a job to the folk who run the damn thing. Aint nobody really wanna spend some money tryin to hype the shit up. I bet yall some folk out in LA don't even know the motherfucker is goin on. :rolleyes:

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:14 PM
excuse me but I started a similar topic a few minutes ago, I got bashed for it and then the moderator closed the topic. And now it's okay and everyone is talking??? Whatever.

Ryan
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:16 PM
You DID tell him to shutup.

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:17 PM
yeah I agree with selesrules, it seems a bit weird that his topic got close and this one wasn't LOL, oh well I guess selesrules you have built a bad reputation on the moderator, but it seems a little bit unfair to me

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:17 PM
well he bashed me for making the topic so I got upset! How come you are not bashing Volcana??

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:18 PM
thanks wongqks. (no offense to Volcana, I'm not upset with you, I'm just upset with the injustice!) :)

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:20 PM
umm regarding to this topic. It is indeed embarassing, and it has potential to become worse than what happen in Munich, well I hope it will pick up tonight with Serena playing

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by selesrules
thanks wongqks. (no offense to Volcana, I'm not upset with you, I'm just upset with the injustice!) :)

LOL@ Injustice...

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:21 PM
question, why didn't they bring it back to Madison Square Garden New York?

Julie
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by selesrules
well he bashed me for making the topic so I got upset! How come you are not bashing Volcana??

Becasue Volcana is a respected poster who only flips into mad gear once every blue moon!!!!

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:23 PM
selesrules, because of the fact that they intially want to move to Munich is because
a) the prize money is not as high as Munich

b) players demand a shorter season and Madison Square cannot held in an earlier date becuase of hockey schedule

WtaTour4Ever
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:24 PM
I think the Madison Square Gardens Officials were not willing to accomodate the schedule, I think it had something to do with Hockey or another sporting.........Tennis got the boot ....basically.

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Julie

Becasue Volcana is a respected poster who only flips into mad gear once every blue moon!!!!

I am sorry to interrupt this thread, but if it is the reason why his thread is close becuase of his reputation, then it is not fair, coz his thread was nothing wrong.

I didn't see what he write afterwards after Dahveed bash him, maybe he said something rude, but I feel that each case should be looked at independently, and any double standard or character aassuming will lead to a lot of dispute

tenn_ace
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:27 PM
it just shows that some of the moderators are behaving like imature kids themselves

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:30 PM
back to the point, I think frankly, WTA has gone to a non returnable track, I don't know where they are gonna go next year, but I am pretty sure that if they can make it a weeklong or 10 days event with only night session in any country in the world ( I mean even Hong Kong) they will have a lot of buzz.

Julie
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by wongqks

I am sorry to interrupt this thread, but if it is the reason why his thread is close becuase of his reputation, then it is not fair, coz his thread was nothing wrong.

I didn't see what he write afterwards after Dahveed bash him, maybe he said something rude, but I feel that each case should be looked at independently, and any double standard or character aassuming will lead to a lot of dispute

Now please excuse me if you will - i was explaining the difference between the two posters - i had nothing to do with the closing of the other thread in the slightest - now this matter is closed and this thread will be if you dont stick to the topic!

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:37 PM
I am sorry julie, but the way it sounds like is pure prejudice, I personally don't agree with most things selesrules, but I am just pointing out some issues which I feel may make the baord better, if you think I am interrupting and disrupting order in the board I apologize and you do realise I actually do discuss issues on this threads as well.

Valda Lake
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Oh yes..."Volcana" is so respected...I loved his "Should all the BLACK (and proud) men be rounded up, jailed or killed" thread. His quote of "well nobody" in response to a post about who could beat the Williams (on the same thread Brian Stewart schooled him right about Maleeva...but to NO answer by "Volcana" wonder why....answer...outclassed and out-educated) hehe.

Now Volcana labels Monica and Lindsay "large white players" for their fans and dismisses Maggie with a "sorry Maggie" in his ridiculous prognostication post...

Is "Volcana" all that respected outside of other fat smelly dumpers like Freethinker and TeeRexx? lol

He must be seething...too precious! :)

Valda Lake
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:13 PM
btw...I love getting the last word...so I'll leave it at this...Brian is respected..."Volcana" is just a stat-whore...B-O-R-I-N-G!!! :) (last word until this thread mysteriously disappears)

Mrs. Peel
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Ticket prices are an embarassment! I would be there but unfortunately, I'm just a lowly state-worker who would like to eat and avoid credit card debt!

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:28 PM
agree totally Mrs Peel.

Real tennis fans are those camping out during the Wimbledon fortnight queuing for ground passes in US open, not those coporate sponsors with their champagne, it has been said so many times and never has anyone listened in the management level in tennis, never :fiery:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:31 PM
You haven't seen a tennis tourn unless you've been to a Challenger or a Satellite event ;)
there's nothing quite like it.

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Theboiledegg, tell me about challengers, what is it like, is there no one watching, i never been one and am interested to know what happen there

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:41 PM
handful of people watching but most/all of them know their stuff.
Last week when i went there was probably about 10-20 or so there as well as players/coaches and officials.

No Ballboys/girls except in a few select events. Players have to go and collect balls themselves and pass balls to other side when opponent serves.
there was only 1 linesperson on each end of court. they had an additional service line calling person at the end of arena where they could put a chair down.
qualifying events has no lines people so you often get squabbles between players ;) ( only the Umpire is there and he calls the lines what he/she can see, otherwise relies on players to be trustworthy).

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:42 PM
that's sounds fun hehe if i settle in US one day i will sure check it out

Freewoman33
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:53 PM
I agree Volcana. I think they should move it to a country that really appreciates tennis. It's really sad to admit but America, with all the great tennis champions, does not appreciate tennis. Maybe Australia, France, England or some other place in Europe.

Volcana
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:58 AM
The timing is all wrong to have it in the States. The six weeks leading up to the Tour Championships are in Europe. That's where the players are. There were a lot of complaints about players not promoting the event, but players who are taking time off don't want to fly to Cali to do promos, and players who are playing are in Europe. I'm sure there was guaranteed money that got the event to L.A., but the job they've done sucked.

Greenout
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Actually it would've just been better to have
played the WTA CHAMPIONSHIPS in Asia.
I think Thailand would've been incredible.
The venues may have been a bit smaller;
but they are a huge sporting public.

There's just too many things going on in
Los Angeles for the WTA Championships to
make that much of a deal. Where as if the
event was in Thailand- it would've been a
BIG DEAL. A huge event- in the front page
everyday.

Greenout
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Let's face it tennis may have peaked in the USA
as a spectator,and beginner sport. Tennis hasn't
even reached it's potential in Asia. There's China,
Taiwan, Korea, Indonesia, Thailand, Mynmar, etc...
So much new territory to break out in the sporting
areas.

rated_next
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:11 AM
there was more people watching the $25K tournament in Vancouver :eek:

go hingis
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Bring it to Sydney!

I won't mind if i'm the only person in the stands, lol

At least then we might have some coverage here!

callado
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:29 AM
I read that there was about 5,000 people in the stands for the Venus and Seles matches,which is a decent turnout for the first round, so the pitiful attendence in the day session was mainly related to who was playing. I sure wouldn't pay 60 bucks to see Henin and Clijsters either...

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:31 AM
The WTA did put a lot of work into this - and I;m sure the Staples Centre wanted it to work... But somewhere along the lines they have made a few mistakes...

The schedule for one... The afternoon matches are never going to draw large crowds...

The choice of city? I have nothing against LA - but it is a huge city with so many sports going on at once... In among all that, WTA gets lost...But you would have thought with home girls venus and serena playing that the crowds would have been better as look at what the Manhattan beach event draws...

If they moved it from Munich, maybe its time to move it again to a city where the Champs could be the focal point of attention - a smaller city...

The event may just need a couple of years to build itself though... as I know that Shanghai has sold virtually no tickets for next weeks men's masters and that the Chinese are busing people into the event from schools etc to make the stadium look full...

Its a shame that Munich came so close to Sep 11th last year as so many economic factors and apathy drove the event otherand it wasn't given a 2nd chance... I;m sure LA will be given a 2nd chance though as the WTA will not want to be seen to change events yet again...

Tratree
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Southern California has always supported tennis and I'm sure the crowds will pick up Friday through Sunday. Day matches will always be poorly attended, as they were in NYC and in Munich.

The blame for this lies at the feet of the WTA. They did a piss poor job of publicizing the event. I live in LA and watch LA channels and never once saw a TV ad for the championships. Running ads in Tennis Magazine is like preaching to the choir. Rapid tennis fans will be there....you need to reach out to the other folks who only tune in for slams, etc. The WTA really needs to learn how to market their product.

Hurley
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:27 AM
As I said before, MSG day sessions were also attended by numbers in the triple-digits.

Most Americans don't want to watch tennis, especially indoors, and a substantial amount of those that do don't want to enough to take off work for it.

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Yeah, why is everyone getting so upset? It's nothing new.
I mean, it's too bad, and maybe the WTA should try some new marketing strategies, and they should change the format, etc.. but it's the same every year and at a lot of indoor tournaments.

I think combine it with the men's event, have them both be 8 person round-robin events and either change the location every year, or have it in NY at Madison Square Garden

Volcana
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:32 AM
The WTA is in the wierd position of just barely being a TV viable sport in the USA, but at the same time being a weak spectator sport. The ordinary case is the reverse. Tournaments that do well in US have a lot of history. You can't just start a tournament and be guaranteed 10,000 every night. The sport just isn't popular enough.

What that means is 'paper the house'. Give away tickets if you have too, but get a crowd.

And every coach of every women's tennis program in the USA would LOVE to have their players watching these matches. Or should. Give every player a pair of tickets. How they get to L.A. is their problem.