PDA

View Full Version : Conchita Martinez "My game was similar to many men"

spencercarlos
Aug 21st, 2011, 02:45 AM
Just said that during the Directv LA Coverage of Petkovic vs Jankovic SF Cincy match.

"In the sense that i used a lot of topspin, one hand varying the game"

The description of her game is alright, but to be honest i fail to relate her game to any men, from 80s or 90s...

Sammo
Aug 21st, 2011, 02:45 AM
YES, ESPECIALLY HER SERVE :spit:

Conchita :facepalm:

serenaforever
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:04 AM
Sure it was.

Bayo
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:14 AM
Nothing like moonballs to put me in mind of Sampras.

spencercarlos
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:31 AM
Nothing like moonballs to put me in mind of Sampras.
Yeah in the boredom.... But really Conchi????? To many men? Which men ajajajjaja

Sam L
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:39 AM
A lot of male clay courters in the early 90s had similar games to hers. It was heavy topspin.

Sund7101
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:48 AM
Just because you are a lesbian doesn't mean you play like a man. :rolleyes:

Anabelcroft
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:06 AM
Alberto Berasategui of womens tennis :lol:

spencercarlos
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:58 AM
Alberto Berasategui of womens tennis :lol:
Forehand sure a lot of topspin, inside out at times from Conchita really good, but when it comes to the backhand, way too different.

Alberto's game was unortodox, bizarre tecnique, superwestern grip on that forehand, Conchita was more fluid, more classic style.

Cu0K-sGb7dY
I don't really see the similarities with their games... here

AnomyBC
Aug 21st, 2011, 08:39 AM
You're misunderstanding her, she meant that her game for picking up women is similar to that of many men.

For reference:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=game

vozas
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:10 PM
Conchita :facepalm:

Go take care of Rodionova

Helen Lawson
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:22 PM
I loved her game, when she wasn't phoning it in and being lazy. They all thought they could beat this old bitch, until the moonballs and slices started to bewitch, and they could just not explain how they were losing game after game to this veteren from Spain.

tennisbum79
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
She was referring to Murray and Brad

Gilas.
Aug 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Her GOAT time-wasting tactic is similar to Nadal's :worship:

Martian KC
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM
I heard she was the Spanish Casanova.

*Jool*
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:12 PM
every opportunity to attack her is good to seize so I won't even try to enter the debate and 'defend' her .. :)

M.S.F
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah, very boring :p

C.MARTINEZ
Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:30 AM
Conchita :D:hearts:

siempre maestraa!!

Lennval
Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:54 AM
Conchita :D:hearts:

siempre maestraa!!

She's so unique :hearts:

pav
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:41 AM
Her drinking and cigar smoking habits were similar to Miguel Ángel Jiménez:tape:

@little levity
Aug 22nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
I remember my sister gave me £5 to put on her for the Wimbledon title in 94. She was 40/1 and I told my sister she had no chance. In fact, I bought 20 cigarettes with the £5. I'm still to this day trying to figure out how she won, and I'm the tennis expert in our family.

BarsonlyOne
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
she had great variety in her game. yes, I personally didnt like watching her play cause i found her style a little boring when all she did was play defense. but when she was agressive, her topspin shots were devastasting and she her slices even harder to deal with. she can relate her groundstrokes to the men, but her serve, not so much. pretty much sliced the whole time.

spencercarlos
Aug 23rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
she had great variety in her game. yes, I personally didnt like watching her play cause i found her style a little boring when all she did was play defense. but when she was agressive, her topspin shots were devastasting and she her slices even harder to deal with. she can relate her groundstrokes to the men, but her serve, not so much. pretty much sliced the whole time.
When agressive, its ok, that forehand had some vicious topspin, probably related to what Nadal does today, but to some lesser extent.

Conchita´s forehand got outclassed by the greatest forehand of them all... Steffi Graf.

That being said, in the long road point to point, Conchita´s core of her game was to move the ball around the court, rather than being the player to take the offensive and finish points.

Her tendency was to play long points, some moonballs here and there and really that´s not the way men played back then. Even in an era ike 90 where there were tons of players that would play serve-volley style.

I still record her comments and post it on the first video.. (They are in spanish though)