PDA

View Full Version : What makes a player popular?

GoGoMaggie
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Which of the followings plays the most important part in making a player popular?

1. Appearance
2. Peformance
3. Personality or Character
4. Others

Pamela Shriver
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:23 PM
NOT Performance or whether they've won a Grand slam. Definately personality - especially amazing sense of humour, and a great hairstyle.

Cassius
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:45 PM
Not 'Performance'.
I think for most people, it's probably a mix of 'Appearance' and 'Personality'.

PhoenixStorm
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:21 AM
I think all of those are important depending on the particular fan and player.

Ramses
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:36 AM
the combination of all those points and some more

DutchieGirl
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:37 AM
I think appearance plays a big role, but also personality...

faito anto
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:50 AM
popular with which audience?

young males?
fellow wta players?
need more infor here.

Venus Forever
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:54 AM
For me:

1. Performance
2. Personality/Character
3. Appearance

faito anto
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:04 AM
hey, what do you have to do to get a flag next to your name?

joaco
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:11 AM
PERSONALITY or CHARACTER?!:rolleyes: Are you kidding me??
If Anna wouldn't be so beautiful, but still would have a great personality do you think that she's be so popular. Unfortunately, at the times we're living almost everything is the appearance.

Eg: Last week a general knowledge test was deona t our school. One of the 100 question was who won the Singles Women's Wimbledon 2001. You know what most students wrote down... "anna Kournikova, it's the only one I know" Do you think any of these guys have any idea what Anna's character or personality is like. For Personality likes, Lindsay and Monica would win far ahead....

Joaco

Persian
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:55 AM
All three :)

Freefall
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:03 AM
popular with which audience?

young males?
fellow wta players?
need more infor here.

fellow wta players = Personality or Character

young males = Boobs

:p

Kiwi_Boy
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:07 AM
for me personaly its personality,play and respectability (aswell as personal acheivement) :)

timray
Dec 13th, 2005, 08:20 PM
1. Appearance
2. Personality/Character
3. Performance

*Jool*
Dec 13th, 2005, 08:23 PM
it depends on the people who make them popular , they have different criteria
it can be a mix of everything , or just one of them
my criteria when i was young and couldnot see the match was the players' names :lol: thk god i passed over it

Blonde_Ambition7
Dec 13th, 2005, 08:24 PM
apperance, and personality.

the most talked about players usually have good results as well, but if they're boring or unattractive they're not going to get as talked about as much.

CooCooCachoo
Dec 13th, 2005, 08:49 PM
For me personally, the personality and character :yeah:

LH2HBH
Dec 13th, 2005, 08:58 PM
You should compare the two extreme examples!

ANNA KOURNIKOVA

Looks: World Famous
Personality: Diva
Performance: Considered a promising burnout at best

vs.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT

Looks: Average
Personality: Girl Next Door
Performance: A Champion

ANNA wins the popularity contest hands down - everyone knows that unless they are true tennis fans, they would probably rather watch Anna hit the ball then good ole Dav

LoveFifteen
Dec 13th, 2005, 09:00 PM
It's a combination of all three. You've just got to have "it".

Volcana
Dec 13th, 2005, 09:10 PM
With fans or with corporations?

With corporations it's appearance, with marketing a close second. Performance is only necessary in very small amounts. The perfect examples are Navratilova and Kournikova. The greatest player ever couldn't get an endorsment that wasn't strictly tennis equipment. A player who couldn't win a tournament was drowning in them.

For fans?

1) Performance - (Putting aside Kounikova as an aberration)
2) Appearance
3) Marketing (Think Hantuchova vs Dokic)
4) 'Accessibility' - Call it, the NASCAR effect'. How much does the player reach out to the fans? The Williams sisters are a bit unique, but they could serve as something of a model. They are seriously fan-friendly.

An Anastasia Myskina- Elena Dementieva tennis tour could do very well in Russia. They group up together, trained in the same tennis club. A Sharapova, Myskina, Dementieva, Petrova, Zvonareva, Safina, Likhovtseva, Kuznetsova charity round-robin event could, potentially, raise a staggering amount of cash.

A Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Pierce, Mauresmo event I think would do well in the EU.

Bounty Hunter
Dec 13th, 2005, 10:26 PM
It depends on the individual.

For me it's peformance and personality/character.

Wiggly
Dec 13th, 2005, 10:29 PM
50% Appearence
30% Personality
20% Performance

Stamp Paid
Dec 13th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I dont know...I have no idea. I was captivated by Serena's booty, so I guess part of it was appearance, but learning more about her as a person is what made me obsessed with her....

Denise4925
Dec 13th, 2005, 10:42 PM
All of the above. :shrug:

ceiling_fan
Dec 13th, 2005, 10:54 PM
with other players: personality

fans: looks and performance will probably be most important

mike/topgun
Dec 13th, 2005, 10:55 PM
sensibly its performance first (who would have heard bout Anna if she was not a talented and succesfull junior, and doubles/singles player in WTA????) :p
then equaly important appearance&personality...most times first you see then you think/talk/listen to the person ;)

Maria Croft
Dec 13th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Personality

Hayato
Dec 13th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I would like to say Personality and Character but I think it's probably appearance. I mean, why aren't Sromova and Fedak popular? They have loads of personality and character, but they aren't the best players or the best looking either. It's hard to say, i think it depends on the player.

auntie janie
Dec 13th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Connected with what Volcana mentioned about marketing:

The "Personality or Character" option should more accurately be called "PERCEIVED Personality or Character". Let's face it; we don't really have a clue what these people are like in their daily lives. Do they scream at the doorman? Do they tip well? How aware are they of people outside their magic circle of privilege and riches?

The clues we have come from what we see on the court, from the players' own interviews, and from the media. But these are just that: CLUES; just hints at what MAY be lurking within. They do NOT give anything like a full picture. And to muddy the picture even further, what we see in the media is very often distorted through an agent. WE SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE LIKE.

My own guess is that most of the top players are self-involved to an extent that we would find incredible; spoiled to varying degrees, and clueless about the lives of the average fan (again, to varying degrees), not to mention sadly forgetful that without the fans they really have nada.

I am not trying to be a cynic here. These players are young! I think when they grow older and finally leave the magic world of pro tennis, when the world stops revolving around their every need and wish, then they do have a chance to become normal people, and many succeed.

But while they're ruling the tennis world, their real characters are hidden from us. And it's probably just as well. :eek:

BMP
Dec 13th, 2005, 11:19 PM
I guess it's mostly about harisma, and it has a lot to do with both appearance and personality.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Dec 13th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I think it's personality and character....Look at the most popular tennis stars (Agassi, Roddick, Serena, Venus, Maria, Blake) they all have an interesting personality and/or character that draws people to like them.

RenaSlam.
Dec 14th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Personality-

careyscott
Dec 14th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Even for those of us who don't think of a tennis court as an extension of a catwalk and enjoy players based on how they play - this is still an aspect of appearance not performance. I can't be a fan of a serve and volleyer because it is an ugly style of play to me. An ugly girl can play in a pleasing way and a pretty girl like Kournikova can be painful to watch because she plays so stupidly.

samsam4087
Jul 6th, 2010, 02:23 PM
All three

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM
There is actually a factor that isn't mentioned in this poll that is substantially more significant than Appearance,Performance orPersonality/Character with most of the posters here. That factor is....success.

You can be the most beautiful thing on two legs, have a really sweet personality and a fine entertaining game to boot. But if you are ranked 150 virtually no one will give a damn.

Loungy
Jul 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I thought 'performance' covered success.

Anyway. Performance first, then appearance. Most public personas can be worked with so long as you have modicum success and the looks.

Sean.
Jul 6th, 2010, 05:47 PM
On here an attractive underachiever tends to have the most fans. As soon as a player starts winning or beating other people's favourites people will find any reason to hate them.

I don't think personality counts for that much, compared to looks. Svetlana is supposed to be one of the funniest players on tour, though (without meaning to be rude) she isn't the most attractive player. On here she doesn't have many haters, she's not many people's favourite either.

Nationality also has an impact, I know for a fact that most British people only support Murray because he's British. I guess it's the same in other countries too.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I thought 'performance' covered success.

Anyway. Performance first, then appearance. Most public personas can be worked with so long as you have modicum success and the looks.

To me performance and success have very little do with each other. I can like and admire a player's style even though it is not one which takes them to the top of the rankings.

Alot of posters wouldn't even consider supporting a player until the reach a certain level of success.

Anyway for me, success matters very little, hence the majority of my faves are not very highly ranked. Having said that when a player does become a favourite of mine I am always delighted when they do find success.

For me playing style, personality and appearance all count and generally in that order but I have faves who are faves mostly because of their playing style, others who are there mostly because of their personality and others in large part because of their looks. Pretty much always though it is a combination of at least two of these factors and sometimes all three.

Julian.
Jul 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
A mixture of everything, with the right balance, you'd be huge. Example: Sharapova :happy:

Charisma has the most impact I think so I voted Personality or Character.

WTAtennisfan15
Jul 6th, 2010, 06:11 PM
All of them plays a part! Of course youre charisma, appereance and on court achievements matter! If i could name one rolemodel i would name Roger Federer! He is so friendly and kind, he doesnt show a fake smile to his fans while signing autographs and have never let his succes to get to his head!

TennisFan66
Jul 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
fellow wta players = Personality or Character

young males = Boobs

:p

Old thread, still valid: http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/caroline-wozniacki-breasts-engulf-entire-internet :lol:

and I voted 'personality', but suppose appearance is a close No 2. Its a shallow world we live in.

Performance? Very distant No .... far down. I mean lets be honest about it. A woman who is a bit more mmmmm manly, I am thinking Semenya here. You know the SA athletics 'woman'. If 'she' had a WTA variation, I'm sure she'll have great 'performance'. Serving 140mph serves and running as fast as Usain Bolt. But mmmm who'd wanna watch that ...Watch the ATP tour instead. PS I didn't mean to pick on Semenya in any way shape or form. Just as an example.

Shepster
Jul 6th, 2010, 06:21 PM
On the wider level it's always performance, even the pretty players whose levels dip and they keep their fans, they only got noticed in the first place because of initial success on the court. Also with character, given the way the media treats the sport if you're not successful you'd never know what the person's like off court.

On here it's a bit different because in the geekdom you find players in other ways rather than say, getting to the second week of slams.

With me it's style of game, demeanour on court. If someone appeals to me on both levels whilst doing well against (or even beating) one of my faves that's the surest way to catch my attention. Then again I've become a fan of some players getting blown out 6-0, 6-3 by a top player in the first round of a grand slam - it's what the play is like and how they go about it. Attractive helps but some players who I find attractive physically I literally can't watch if there's a horrendous grunt or they carry themselves like complete cows on the court.

shoparound
Jul 6th, 2010, 06:30 PM
With this board? Appearance and Personality. Ivanovic and Hantuchova are big examples.

Daruma.
Jul 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Appearance + Fluke GS Title = Fame

pav
Jul 6th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Lack of arrogance

watchdogfish
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:00 PM
The right marketing. Cynical answer, I know :p ;)

miffedmax
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Having the most adorable bangs ever, and being really close to your mom.

Human Nature
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:47 PM
First performance , then personality..