PDA

View Full Version : Guess who will win the 2011 WTA Awards

Julian.
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
My guess for now:

Player of the Year: :confused: (need to wait for US Open and YEC)
Most Improved Player: Petra Kvitova
Newcomer of the Year: Ksenia Pervak
Comeback Player of the Year: Sabine Lisicki / Serena Williams

EDIT:

I think Kvitova will win both Player of the Year award and Most Improved Player award if she manages to win the YEC this year.

This has happened before in 2004 when Sharapova won both awards after winning Wimbledon and YEC that year, which would exactly be the same achievement for Petra this year if she wins YEC.

Sharapova also won the Newcomer of the Year award the year before (2003). Petra also won this award last year.

Player of the Year: Petra Kvitova
Comeback Player of the Year: Sabine Lisicki (I think Serena played way too few tournaments this year to be considered a comeback)

Julian.
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Ksenia Pervak newcomer of the year. :spit:

Not a chance. McHale will get it for beating World No.1 :shrug:

:lol:

Ksenia reached the 4th round of Wimbledon, a WTA final and currently ranked higher than McHale :shrug:

juki
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Irina Begu will be newcomer of the year :weirdo:

Outside top-200 to top-50 (and is #32 in WTA race), reaching the final of 2 WTA events, higher ranked than both Pervak & McHale.

WhoAmI?
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Player of the Year: Li/Kvitova/Sharapova/Wozniacki/S. Williams/ ...
Most Improved Player: Kvitova/Li
Newcomer of the Year: Görges:confused: Begu, Pervak, Jovanovski:shrug: no one really stands out (so far)
Comeback Player of the Year: S. Williams

vozas
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Newcomer of the Year: Görges:confused: Begu, Pervak, Jovanovski:shrug: no one really stands out (so far)

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a455/akccm/2ightas.gif

Steven.
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Player of the year: they only award slam champions with this so Petra Kvitova
Most improved player: Shuai Peng
Newcomer of the year: Irina Begu it is :shrug:
Comeback player of the year: Serena Williams

WhoAmI?
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a455/akccm/2ightas.gif

Theoretically she could win USO. But I think if Sharapova wins USO, it'll be her. If neither of the 2 wins it, I think Li and Kvitova will share player of the year and most improved players awards between them. And Serena getting the comeback player of the year.

gulzhan
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Theoretically she could win USO.

Wozniacki will never win a GS. She is too limited and too dumb. And lately she lost advantage of her bullterrier's grip.

vozas
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Then even Suckcog can be newcomer of the year with 1 WTA title and 1 WTA final :shrug:

:lol::lol::lol:

Wasn't Flopcog double-bageled by Rodionova last week?

doooma6816
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Player of the year...well I think if Maria manages to win USO...if not then Petra Kvitova or Na Li.

Galang
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Player of the Year: If Maria wins USO then it will probably be her. If she manages to reah number 1 aswell, then she'll definately get it. If not, then it will probably be Li.
Most Improved: Kvitova
Newcomer: Mchale/Pervak/Goerges/Begu
Comeback: Serena if she goes far at USO/has a pretty great rest of reason. I could see them giving it to Lisicki.

Sylvester
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Comeback player of the year will obviously be Serena. No discussion even possible. Actually if she wins the US Open and the YEC, she may even be player of the year! :eek:

tennismaster8820
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:55 PM
My guess for now:

Player of the Year: :confused: (need to wait for US Open and YEC)
Comeback Player of the Year: Sabine Lisicki / Serena Williams

:tape: Not a chance!
Begu, McHale or someone already more established.
Last time Kvitova won that award when she wasn't really that new.

Gdsimmons
Aug 20th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Comeback player of the year will obviously be Serena. No discussion even possible. Actually if she wins the US Open and the YEC, she may even be player of the year! :eek:

Pretty much agree with everything here

iGOAT
Aug 20th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I was thinking about this a few days ago :p.

Player of the Year: Very hard to say, but probably Na Li or Petra Kvitova, depending who ends the year ranked higher. Possibly Serena Williams though if she can win the US Open and YEC, although they will probably be hesitant since she only played for half the year. However, should Caroline Wozniacki or Maria Sharapova win the US Open and/or YEC, then one of them would probably take it.
Doubles Team of the Year: Most likely Kveta Peschke/Katarina Srebotnik.
Most Improved Player: Very tight between Petra Kvitova and Na Li. Maybe whichever ends ranked higher? Or maybe if one gets POY then the other will get this...
Newcomer of the Year: No obvious choice at all! Should Irina Begu, Ksenia Pervak, Christina McHale, or Bojana Jovanovski win a title it would probably be one of them. Otherwise, probably Begu for reaching two finals, although I think Bojo could take it, as she has the bigger game.
Comeback Player of the Year: Serena Williams.
Player Service: I never know for this one :help: maybe Liezel Huber for organizing the hair donation though?
Karan Krantscke Sportsmanship Award: Kim Clijsters, most likely.
Diamond Aces: Maybe Caroline Wozniacki, as she seems tireless. Doesn't this have rankings though?
Humanitarian of the Year: Hard to say... Liezel Huber maybe :shrug:.

Moo_21
Aug 20th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I agree with a lot of everyones predictions so far but would have to add Petkovic into the mix for the most improved player.

Petkovic or Peng for sure!

Sammo
Aug 20th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Biggest choker of the year: Daniela Hantuchova
Best player of the year: Daniela Hantuchova
Sexiest player of the year: Daniela Hantuchova
Comeback player of the year: the good version of Daniela Hantuchova
Newcomer of the year: Danielle Anotoxfa

hdfb
Aug 20th, 2011, 11:06 PM
If most improved comes down to Kvitova and Li, I can see WTA deciding to give it to Li to again create headlines for womens tennis in China.

Sylvester
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:00 AM
Best bride of the year: Elena Dementieva :hearts:

Galang
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:35 AM
Best bride of the year: Elena Dementieva :hearts:

Knowing Lena, she'd probably lose to Dulko :(

iGOAT
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:41 AM
If most improved comes down to Kvitova and Li, I can see WTA deciding to give it to Li to again create headlines for womens tennis in China.
Yeah, good point. Plus Petra won newcomer last year, so in a way her rise is expected, whereas Li has been around for years and suddenly came out of the blue to reach two major finals.

lang26
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:02 AM

This You gotta down right

Julian.
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I think Pervak has a big chance to win the newcomer of the year now.

Wert.
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Player of the year: Azarenka ( not a fan ;) )
Most Improved: Li
NewComer: Begu
Comeback: Sabine

The Kaz
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Based on what?

BlueTrees
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:42 AM

The player of the year reaches one Grand Slam quarterfinal? :spit:

Wert.
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:50 AM
The player of the year reaches one Grand Slam quarterfinal? :spit:

SF.

Patrick345
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Player of the Year: Kvitova (Slam, 2nd most titles and a young face, Na Li/Stosur would have to win YEC to steal it)
Most Improved Player of the Year: Goerges (looking for youngish hot player, that won a big title and wasn´t in the top 20 already)
Newcomer of the Year: McHale (They´ll give it to McHale, because she is American, had the most high-profile wins, and is most likely to improve next year, Begu and Pervak are also deserving)
Comeback Player of the Year: Lisicki (if they give that to a 30 year old Serena the WTA REALLY looks desperate, and it is a pick´em anyway)

BlueTrees
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM
SF.

She only reached the quarterfinal stage of one Grand Slam tournament in 2011. Is that simple enough language for you?

Wert.
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM
She only reached the quarterfinal stage of one Grand Slam tournament in 2011. Is that simple enough language for you?

Dumb.

Jajaloo
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:54 AM

She reached the quarterfinals at the French Open, and reached and exceeded the quarterfinals by advancing to the semifinals at Wimbledon. :confused:

BlueTrees
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
She reached the quarterfinals at the French Open, and reached and exceeded the quarterfinals by advancing to the semifinals at Wimbledon. :confused:

Good point. My bad. :oh:

Wert.
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM
^You should say sorry.How rude :facepalm:

WhoAmI?
Sep 17th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I think Pervak has a big chance to win the newcomer of the year now.

I'd still think Begu has done a bit better than Pervak this year. Only advantage Pervak has, is the GS 4th round. And Begu started the year ranked near 200, Pervak around 100.

Kerber is winning Newcomer of the Year,people!

:lol:
I'd consider Görges before Kerber though.

AcesHigh
Sep 17th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Player of the Year: Kvitova (Slam, 2nd most titles and a young face, Na Li/Stosur would have to win YEC to steal it)
Most Improved Player of the Year: Goerges (looking for youngish hot player, that won a big title and wasn´t in the top 20 already)
Newcomer of the Year: McHale (They´ll give it to McHale, because she is American, had the most high-profile wins, and is most likely to improve next year, Begu and Pervak are also deserving)
Comeback Player of the Year: Lisicki (if they give that to a 30 year old Serena the WTA REALLY looks desperate, and it is a pick´em anyway)

I think these are really sensible choices

dos Santos
Sep 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Player of the Year: Li Na
Newcomer of the Year: Irina-Camelia Begu :cheer:
Comeback Player of the Year: Serena Williams

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
PotY will probably be decided at the YEC. Right now I think Wozniacki leads. She's been #1 every week but one.
Nobody else has been a consistent factor.
Newcomer - Pervak
Comeback -Lisicki or Serena

Gilas.
Sep 17th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Player of the year: Li Na. at least for the first half of the year :o
Doubles team of the year: Peschbotnik :cheer:
Newcomer of the year: Christina McHale
Sportsmanship Award: Serena. loljk :oh: Andrea Petkovic :cheer:

Noctis
Sep 17th, 2011, 12:26 PM
PotY will probably be decided at the YEC. Right now I think Wozniacki leads. She's been #1 every week but one.
Nobody else has been a consistent factor.
Newcomer - Pervak
Comeback -Lisicki or Serena

Wozniacki player of the year :tape:

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Wozniacki player of the year :tape:Yeah, she won ITF PotY last year, and probably win both this year

Muffin the Mule
Sep 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Player of the Year: Caroline Wozniacki
Newcomer of the Year: Ksenia Pervak/Irina-Camelia Begu

guichard
Sep 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Player of the Year: Kvitova
Most Improved: Li/Stosur
New comer :Pervak

Laura_VeeFan
Sep 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM
They only give player of the year to players who have won a slam that year, so Wozniacki is out of the running.

Player of the Year: Kvitova :shrug:
Most Improved Player: Li/Petkovic :shrug:
Newcomer of the Year: McHale
Comeback Player of the Year: Lisicki/Serena

Julian.
Sep 17th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Then Kudryavtseva should win newcomer of the year last year. :oh:

Kudryavtseva wasn't exactly a newcomer to the tour last year :rolls:

Pasta-Na
Sep 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Most Improved Player: Li Na, Stosur and Kvitova.

BlueTrees
Sep 17th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Kudryavtseva wasn't exactly a newcomer to the tour last year :rolls:

Neither was Kvitova in 2010 :shrug:

Cajka
Sep 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Player of the year? If Caro or Petra win the YEC, it should be one of them. Li played great at the slams, but there where like 3 tournaments where she played well, Sam won USO, that's the biggest moment in her career, but it was also her only title this year. Sam was the player of the USO, Na Li was the player of RG, but they can't be the player of the year. For those who say Serena... I'm sorry, but how? She is the best player in the whole tour, but she wasn't the best player this year. Masha? She's #2, she didn't win a slam, she won 2 titles. It's not the player of the year. There's nobody who truly deserves this award.
Newcomer of the year: Pervak
Most improved player: Petkovic
Comeback: Serena

Julian.
Sep 17th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Neither was Kvitova in 2010 :shrug:

I know but at least she was young. :lol:

Dado90
Sep 17th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Player of the Year: :confused: :facepalm: I have some difficulties to tell one name, which one? :lol:
Most Improved Player: Peng :eek:
Newcomer of the Year: Begu :yeah:
Comeback Player of the Year: Lisicki :shrug:

Coconut91
Sep 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Player of the year: Kvitova. I think she's had better results than Li throughout the year, only exception AO and FO and even there Kvitova performed well :shrug: Maybe Wozniacki if she wins YEC? I doubt it though.
Most improved: Petkovic. Kvitova if she doesn't win POTY.
Newcomer: hard to say... If we are going by age, I think Pavs should take it instead of Pervak. Could be McHale, too. Even Petkovic if she doesn't win most improved.
Comeback: Lisicki. Serena performed very well despite being out for a year, but at the end you kind of always expect Serena to be back on top, cause she's Serena. I'd give it to Lisicki cause I feel her success this year was more surprising and drew a lot of attention as well.

JCTennisFan
Sep 17th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Player of the year : its a toss up between Kvitova and Stosur for me. Kvitova for sure until she bombed out of the US open.

Most improved : Lisicki You could put her as comeback of the year but I dont exactly remember her being all that strong before her injury, so I put her as most improved.

Newcomer : hell if I know, lol :)

Comeback : Sharapova. Normally id say Serena, but just the year before she won 2/4 slams, so I dont know that you could consider her comeback as impressive, especially considering Sharapova did about nothing last year...

*JR*
Sep 17th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Ova-achiever of the year: Melanie Oudin. :o
Unda-achiever of the year: Melanie Oudin. :tape:

Uranus
Sep 17th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I'd say the player of the year award will be decided at the YEC. No one really deserves it right now. It's between Wozniacki, Li and Kvitova. Stosur has sucked for most of the year, and Kim has barely played.

As for the newcomer, Pervak, or maybe Begu :shrug:.

Would love Lisicki to get the award for the most improved player. Would be so weird if it were Serena. She has not improved, she was just injured.

Mary Cherry.
Sep 18th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Player of the Year: Li
Most Improved Player: Kvitova
Newcomer of the Year: Pervak
Comeback Player of the Year: I hope Lisicki but it'll probably be Serena.

Steven.
Sep 18th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I am very convinced that Li Na will get neither most improved nor player of the year award. I mean, is this result deserving of WTA Player of the year?

CH Sydney
CH Roland Garros
RU Australian Open
SF Madrid
SF Rome
SF New Haven

R3 Toronto (with a bye)
R3 Cincinnati (with a bye)
R2 Wimbledon
R2 Indian Wells (opening round loss)
R2 Miami (opening round loss)
R2 Dubai (opening round loss)
R2 Doha (opening round loss)
R2 Stuttgart
R2 Eastbourne
R1 US Open (opening round loss)

so basically, while she's had some impressive runs during the Australian summer and clay season (i.e. a total of 8 non-consecutive weeks to be precise), she's failed to string together two consecutive wins for the other 28-30 weeks of the season so far.

cowsonice
Sep 18th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Is Most Improved judged by improvements in contrast to the results of the previous year?

If so, I'll throw in Petkovic and Sharapova as "dark horses" for that award.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 18th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Sharapova getting Most Improved Player?:spit:

vamos2012
Sep 18th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I am very convinced that Li Na will get neither most improved nor player of the year award. I mean, is this result deserving of WTA Player of the year?

CH Sydney
CH Roland Garros
RU Australian Open
SF Madrid
SF Rome
SF New Haven

R3 Toronto (with a bye)
R2 Wimbledon
R2 Stuttgart
R2 Eastbourne

so basically, while she's had some impressive runs during the Australian summer and clay season (i.e. a total of 8 non-consecutive weeks to be precise), she's failed to string together two consecutive wins for the other 28-30 weeks of the season so far.

well, I think 'convinced' is a too strong word for that. truthfully, none of the players really deserve the award up to now, since the WTA award normally goes to a grand slam owner, and none of them was consistant this year. but you don't need to specify every tournament result for Li, since her culmulative ranking points this year is highest (3rd, after wozniaki and sharapova) among the four grand slam owners, that means her overall performance is the best among the four of them. this reflects the fact that she is the only one entering the grand slam finals twice. So, I do think she has better chance to win the WTA award than others. of course, it strongly depends on how well all the four players perform in Asia and YEC.

madmax
Sep 18th, 2011, 08:24 PM

LOL...
even her biggest fans wouldn't want this tainted award handed to Maria.:lol: While her ranking shows huge improvement, Maria has been crap for the big parts of the season. But I guess even serve-less Poova can challenge for the YE Nr.1 spot - that's how much the tour sucks today

guichard
Sep 18th, 2011, 10:56 PM
She can't.

Roookie
Sep 18th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Why are people picking Serena for comeback of the year?. She won 2 slams in 2010...doesn't make sense to me.

Bonfire
Sep 18th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Player of the year: Li Na
Most Improved: Petkovic
Newcomer: McHale
Comeback player: Serena

InsideOut.
Sep 19th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Most Improved Player: Julia Goerges
Newcomer of the Year: Christina McHale
Comeback Player: Serena Williams

AcesHigh
Sep 19th, 2011, 01:24 AM

CH Sydney
CH Roland Garros
RU Australian Open
SF Madrid
SF Rome
SF New Haven

R3 Toronto (with a bye)
R2 Wimbledon
R2 Stuttgart
R2 Eastbourne

This. This soooo much. Na Li was not the best player this year and doesn't deserve the award IMO unless she wins YEC.

And :sobbing: at people calling SERENA WILLIAMS comeback player of the year after winning 2 slams in 2010

dsanders06
Sep 19th, 2011, 02:04 AM
This. This soooo much. Na Li was not the best player this year and doesn't deserve the award IMO unless she wins YEC.

Then who is? Wozniacki? :spit: She's actually had almost as many shittastic losses as Na this year, she just plays more tournaments so gets to hide her worst results.

As of now, Na is the best player of the year by virtue of her RG win and AO final - it wouldn't be enough to be top in most years, but this season the WTA has been so erratic that it's enough. Though Kvitova could easily steal it if she wins the YEC (which I don't think is impossible atall).

SoBizarre
Oct 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Most Improved Player - Aga Radwanska. 100%.

adner
Oct 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Then who is? Wozniacki? :spit: She's actually had almost as many shittastic losses as Na this year, she just plays more tournaments so gets to hide her worst results.

Kvitova. Wimbledon+Madrid+Paris.

Monzanator
Oct 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Li Na will win the Player of the Year award to complete the bandwagon/endorsement whoring up scenario :rocker2:

I'll pick Kvitova for the Most Improved award :)

Pervak is top favorite for Newcomer of the Year :)

Javi.
Oct 9th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Li can't win Best Player award. :help:
Such an inconsistent season being awarded best player award would represent a new low for WTA.
The YEC winner will get the Best Player Award I guess.

madmax
Oct 9th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Whoever wins YEC gets it is my guess...

Javi.
Oct 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Best Player: YEC Winner
Most Improved: Kvitova/Li
Newcomer: McHale
Comeback: Lisicki

killerqueen
Oct 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Not that she would win, but Galina Voskoboeva should get best comeback... It'll probably go to Serena or Lisicki

McHale will get newcomer, Begu most improved

Aramitz_II
Oct 9th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Whoever wins YEC gets it is my guess...

Only if it is a Slam-winner. In any other case they will appoint Wosniacki.

TheHangover
Oct 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM
best player Kvitova: Wimbledon+Madrid

TheHangover
Oct 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
best player Kvitova: Wimbledon+Madrid

i meant player of the year

dsanders06
Oct 9th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Only if it is a Slam-winner. In any other case they will appoint Wosniacki.

:lol: Keep dreaming. The Player of the Year award has ALWAYS gone to a Slam winner.

marineblue
Oct 9th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Player of the year: Caroline
Most improved: Sabine/Aga
Newcomer: Ksenia
Comeback:Sabine

Steven.
Oct 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Player of the year: Caroline
Most improved: Sabine/Aga
Newcomer: Ksenia
Comeback:Sabine

no lol. Is she a slam champion? i.e. Will she get player of the year? :lol:

More convinced than ever that Kvitova will get the title as player of the year. Kvitova has only had a subpar post-Wimbledon season when compared to the other slam champion's entire season and it isn't necessarily completely horrible either outside opening round loss at the US Open. 1 SF, 2 R3, 2 R1 loss is very tame compared to 2 R3 (but going 1-2), 2 R2 and 2 R1 losses or being AWOL or doing nothing all year outside of a few good weeks during the North American summer hc season.

goldenlox
Oct 9th, 2011, 10:49 PM
It will be interesting to see how awards are given
This year Caroline won 2010 ITF PoY
If she's #1 for 51 weeks, maybe she gets both for 2011
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/photo/2011/0601/espnw_woznki_nadal_sy_576.jpg

dsanders06
Oct 9th, 2011, 11:52 PM
It will be interesting to see how awards are given
This year Caroline won 2010 ITF PoY
If she's #1 for 51 weeks, maybe she gets both for 2011
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/photo/2011/0601/espnw_woznki_nadal_sy_576.jpg

:facepalm:

The ITF ALWAYS give their POTY to whoever finished #1 on the official ranking system.
By contrast, the WTA always gives their award to someone who's won a Slam. Without exception. Do you really think they'd give it to someone who was neither the highest-quality performer nor the most consistent? :lol: This should show even the WTA know how redundant the #1 spot is at this time.

Simugna Help
Oct 10th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Kvitova - a slam and a premier mandatory titles. Hopefully she'll win YEC to finish the year with style. :angel:

denny5576
Oct 10th, 2011, 01:15 AM
AllistairMcCaw McCaw Method
by TennisReporters
@TennisReporters @exposbabe @NeilHarmanTimes Curious, Who's ur female player of the year? i'm going for Maria despite no major Slam success
1 hour ago

Jens K A
Oct 10th, 2011, 01:25 AM
The ITF ALWAYS give their POTY to whoever finished #1 on the official ranking system.
By contrast, the WTA always gives their award to someone who's won a Slam. Without exception.

From http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_46448_original.PDF page 38 (PDF page 42):
"The ITF may award the title of World Champion to players who, in the opinion of the Board of Directors, are the most outstanding players in any one-year. The names of players who have been awarded this title shall be listed in the Roll of Honour."

ITF didn't give it to the women's year end #1 in 1978, 1994, 2001, 2004, 2005.

It's long ago but Tracy Austin was the title leader in 1980 and got WTA player of the year without reaching a slam final. Chris Evert skipped the Australian Open, won the French Open, reached the Wimbledon final, won the US Open, and was year end #1. None of the 2011 slam winners have impressed like this.

Irute
Oct 10th, 2011, 01:45 AM
From http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_46448_original.PDF page 38 (PDF page 42):
"The ITF may award the title of World Champion to players who, in the opinion of the Board of Directors, are the most outstanding players in any one-year. The names of players who have been awarded this title shall be listed in the Roll of Honour."

ITF didn't give it to the women's year end #1 in 1978, 1994, 2001, 2004, 2005.

It's long ago but Tracy Austin was the title leader in 1980 and got WTA player of the year without reaching a slam final. Chris Evert skipped the Australian Open, won the French Open, reached the Wimbledon final, won the US Open, and was year end #1. None of the 2011 slam winners have impressed like this.

Thank you for the facts; dsanders06 thinks that if he says something with assertive tone it will become true.

justineheninfan
Oct 10th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I would be willing to bet money neither the ITF or WTA pick Wozniacki as their Player of the Year this year. Unless she wins the WTA Championships which wont happen.

guichard
Oct 18th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Kvitova is a locked for" Most Improved Player"

deliverance.
Oct 18th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Player of the year: Kvitova
Most improved: Lisicki/Radwanska
Newcomer: Pervak, Begu, McHale :scratch:

Excelscior
Oct 18th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Most improved: Lisicki/Radwanska
Newcomer: Pervak, Begu, McHale :scratch:

Don't be shocked, if the WTA follows recent trends, and gives the award to Baby Fat (Pav's). :confused: :) :confused:

guichard
Oct 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM
yes but Pervak is older than Pav. Pav just developed faster

LCS
Oct 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Most improved: Kvitova
Newcomer: Pervak
Comeback: Lisicki/Serena?

Excelscior
Oct 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I just looked up Li Na's record this year, since Steven and Espanol brought up some good points on her record this year.

2011 records, win % and tourneys of Li Na, Caroline, Maria and Petra from the WTA website

Li Na 31-15 =67% in 17 tourneys
Petra 53-13 =80% in 18 tourneys
Caro 62-15 =80% in 21 tourneys
Maria 42-13 =76% in 14 tourneys

longtin23
Oct 18th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Well, I think if POY is to Kvitova, then the most improved should be to Li

iGOAT
Oct 18th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Kvitova is a locked for" Most Improved Player"
Unless she gets POY. YEC will determine that. I'd say if she betters Sunshine she'll get POY. The Most Improved would be Na.

Newcomer is probably Pervak, could be McHale, and maybe Lisicki has an outside chance? They seem to give it to a non-newcomer if there are no good true-newcomers lately, and Pervak isn't that convincing :tape:.

claypova
Oct 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Player of the Year: Petra Kvitova :shrug:
Newcomer of the Year: lol:sobbing:

guichard
Oct 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Unless she gets POY. YEC will determine that. I'd say if she betters Sunshine she'll get POY. The Most Improved would be Na.

Newcomer is probably Pervak, could be McHale, and maybe Lisicki has an outside chance? They seem to give it to a non-newcomer if there are no good true-newcomers lately, and Pervak isn't that convincing :tape:.
YEC may have an influence for POY not for Most Improved and you can win more than 1 award...

guichard
Oct 25th, 2011, 11:17 AM
@USATgolftennis
Joe Fleming

It's awards season for the WTA. Media votes are due Friday. Has anyone made an airtight case for player of the year?
http://twitter.com/#!/USATgolftennis/status/128521133535412224

This certainly changes thing.I think Kvitova is sure to win now. They should have voted after WTA Championships,

Julian.
Oct 29th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I think Kvitova will win both Player of the Year award and Most Improved Player award if she manages to win the YEC this year.

This has happened before in 2004 when Sharapova won both awards after winning Wimbledon and YEC that year, which would exactly be the same achievement for Petra this year if she wins YEC.

Sharapova also won the Newcomer of the Year award the year before (2003). Petra also won this award last year.

Player of the Year: Petra Kvitova / Samantha Stosur (whoever wins YEC)
Comeback Player of the Year: Sabine Lisicki (I think Serena played way too few tournaments this year to be considered a comeback)

I'm wondering who will get the Player of the Year award if Azarenka or Zvonareva wins the YEC :oh:

iGOAT
Oct 29th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Na improved more than KvittyGOAT through :shrug:. She's been around from years to suddenly two major finals this year. KvittyGOAT got newcomer last year, which shows she is obviously on the up so breaking through is more expected.

Julian.
Oct 29th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Na improved more than KvittyGOAT through :shrug:. She's been around from years to suddenly two major finals this year. KvittyGOAT got newcomer last year, which shows she is obviously on the up so breaking through is more expected.

Petra definitely improved more than Na this year. She went from #34 ranking last year to possibly #2 this year whereas Na went from #11 to a career high of #4 this year.

Sharapova also won newcomer of the year in 2003 and she still snatched both Player of the Year and Most Improved Player Awards in 2004 after winning Wimbledon and YEC.

guichard
Oct 29th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Media votes were due Friday. They vote for Player of the Year, Most Improved Player, Newcomer of the Year... So whatever happened after today is not a factor

Julian.
Oct 29th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Media votes were due Friday. They vote for Player of the Year, Most Improved Player, Newcomer of the Year... So whatever happened after today is not a factor

Are you talking about the polls in Facebook? I don't think those polls are for these 3 awards.

I think that poll is for Fan Favorite Singles Player of the Year
Sharapova won it last year and Dementieva won it the year before (the first year this award was created)

lang26
Oct 29th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Player of the Year- Petra or Caro

Doubles Team of the Year Flavia & Gisela

Most Improved Player Aggie or Andrea

Newcomer of the Year Mchale

Comeback Player of the Year Serena

Diamond Aces anybody

Fan Favorite Singles Player of the Year Maria or Caro

guichard
Oct 29th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Are you talking about the polls in Facebook? I don't think those polls are for these 3 awards.

I think that poll is for Fan Favorite Singles Player of the Year
Sharapova won it last year and Dementieva won it the year before (the first year this award was created)
NO, I am not talking about the poll on facebook.

Member of the Media vote for some of the awards. If you go on wta award page http://www.wtatennis.com/page/Awards/0,,12781,00.html , there is a (M) besides some categories meaning the media vote for that particular award. I cited a member of the media here http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=20400528&postcount=103

Julian.
Oct 29th, 2011, 04:38 AM
NO, I am not talking about the poll on facebook.

Member of the Media vote for some of the awards. If you go on wta award page http://www.wtatennis.com/page/Awards/0,,12781,00.html , there is a (M) besides some categories meaning the media vote for that particular award. I cited a member of the media here http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=20400528&postcount=103

Well, if that's the case I think Kvitova will winn both Player of the Year and Most Improved Player, just like Sharapova in 2004. :D

Why can't they wait till the YEC is over? :confused: Has it always been like this every year?

Martian Jeza
Oct 29th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Inconsistent players with no natural talents : we've got 3 winners : Kvitova, Stosur and Li Na ! Long live the new trend of the WTA ! It's like Bolton winning the Premier League !

guichard
Oct 29th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Well, if that's the case I think Kvitova will winn both Player of the Year and Most Improved Player, just like Sharapova in 2004. :D

Why can't they wait till the YEC is over? :confused: Has it always been like this every year?
Yeah it would have been better to have the vote after YEC. Not sure if the due date has always been the same.

Pops Maellard
Oct 29th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Inconsistent players with no natural talents : we've got 3 winners : Kvitova, Stosur and Li Na ! Long live the new trend of the WTA ! It's like Bolton winning the Premier League !
You're mad, take some meds.

Renalicious
Oct 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Most improved: Radwanska or Azarenka :shrug:
Newcomer: Pervak
Comeback: Serena

Pasta-Na
Oct 29th, 2011, 01:53 PM
just give the "most improved" award to nana. :o

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 29th, 2011, 01:54 PM
How can Vika even considered to be most improved?:spit: She's like top 10 last year and is expected to be top 5 this year. Not really improving much in terms of results, whereas Petra ranked #34 last year (the lowest ranked player among the 8 players in YEC this year) and now guaranteed top 3 and won a slam and few other titles.:oh: She's definitely taking that, or else it'll be Kerber or Lisicki.

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM
just give the "most improved" award to nana. :o

NaNa can take breakthrough award.:shrug:

Julian.
Oct 29th, 2011, 01:57 PM

There is no "Breakthrough Award" :lol:

There is a "Fan Favorite Breakthrough Player" award based on Facebook poll, but Na isn't one of the candidates for that award :lol:

Pasta-Na
Oct 29th, 2011, 01:57 PM

:o

anyway, any bonus money awarded to the winners of these awards? :oh:

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:00 PM
There is no "Breakthrough Award" :lol:

There is a "Fan Favorite Breakthrough Player" award based on Facebook poll, but Na isn't one of the candidates for that award :lol:
Of course Na isn't nominated. Chinese people are not allowed to be on Facebook.:oh:

anyway, any bonus money awarded to the winners of these awards? :oh:
No. So I guess Na won't care much.:oh:

Julian.
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Of course Na isn't nominated. Chinese people are not allowed to be on Facebook.:oh:

But she is nominated for "Fan Favorite Singles Player of the Year" award on Facebook :oh:

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Is she losing?:oh: Don't think she will win. Masha will win on FB.:oh:

Julian.
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:04 PM

We can't see the result :lol: Well Maria won it last year and Dementieva the year before.

Pasta-Na
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:07 PM

People can't vote for her in Mainland China. :o

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:10 PM
If Petra wins, she'll take this for sure even nott winning the final.:oh:

Pasta-Na
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:13 PM
If Petra wins, she'll take this for sure even nott winning the final.:oh:

she's good on grass and indoor surfaces. :p

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:15 PM
she's good on grass and indoor surfaces. :p

She won on clay and hard as well.:shrug: :cuckoo: Sam only can play on hardcourts.:oh: She hans't even won a clay title except green clay.:oh:

Pasta-Na
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:17 PM
She won on clay and hard as well.:shrug: :cuckoo: Sam only can play on hardcourts.:oh: She hans't even won a clay title except green clay.:oh:

Madrid surface is super fast. :o

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Madrid surface is super fast. :o

Who cares. It's still clay.:cheer: Green clay isn't slow either.:oh:

Pasta-Na
Oct 29th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Who cares. It's still clay.:cheer: Green clay isn't slow either.:oh:

ElusiveChanteuse
congrats Petra for winning POTY or the one from ITF.:oh:

ElusiveChanteuse

You lose.:oh:

Big_Banana
Oct 29th, 2011, 03:12 PM
"Fan Favorite Singles Player of the Year" of facebook it's stupid.

5.777.644 > 49.926

anyway, I voted for Na twice. just in case :oh:

Julian.
Oct 31st, 2011, 01:35 PM
Now, I really think Petra will win both Player of The Year and Most Improved Player.

Uranus
Oct 31st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Petra needs to be POTY. However Caro already got it last year while Kim had a slam + the YEC, being ranked #2 just a few pts away from the Danish too.

BlueTrees
Oct 31st, 2011, 04:46 PM
Petra needs to be POTY. However Caro already got it last year while Kim had a slam + the YEC, being ranked #2 just a few pts away from the Danish too.

Um, no. Kim got the WTA POTY award in 2010. And she finished at #3, Zvonareva was #2. Get your facts straight.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20101201/clijsters-player-of-year_2256076_2234893