PDA

View Full Version : Who will be 2011 Player of the Year?

Frontin
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:27 AM
This is a really interesting one. Three different grand slam winners and likely to be a 4th if Serena, Maria, Venus, Vika win it.

Will it be who ends as #1?

Vincey!
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:30 AM
I think it will be who's #1 unless it is Wozniacki, I'm thinking Kvitova could get it or Na Li (knowing that tennis is in huge progress in China I'm sure they would make a big deal out of it, if Na Li makes the SF at the USO she's getting it I'm sure.) Apart from that i'm thinking SHarapova has a good shot if she does well (win or final) at the USO and at the YEC. Serena's only chance to get it would be to win the USO, Beijing and the YEC.

Steven.
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I think it will be who's #1 unless it is Wozniacki, I'm thinking Kvitova could get it or Na Li (knowing that tennis is in huge progress in China I'm sure they would make a big deal out of it, if Na Li makes the SF at the USO she's getting it I'm sure.) Apart from that i'm thinking SHarapova has a good shot if she does well (win or final) at the USO and at the YEC. Serena's only chance to get it would be to win the USO, Beijing and the YEC.

They always hand it out to grand slam champions first and foremost from what I can see. Last year, the player of the year went to Clijsters, who finished 3rd. At this rate, Kvitova seems like the only one deserving of it as she holds the second most WTA title this year, including a grand slam and a tier 1.

If Sharapova and Serena wants to be the player of the year, they're going to have to take out the US Open.

Frontin
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:44 AM
So Li Na/Kvitova unless someone else wins both USO and YEC?

I think Maria has a real shot.

Steven.
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:49 AM
So Li Na/Kvitova unless someone else wins both USO and YEC?

I think Maria has a real shot.

I highly doubt that Li Na will be the player of the year. While both of Kvitova's and Li's year has been quite erratic, Li's is much more so. Yeah she had amazing runs at Sydney-AO and Rome-RG, but outside that she's had very frequent opening round losses and doesn't consistently make past R16 stage of msot tournaments.

Frontin
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:51 AM
But didn't you say GS's are the most important?

She is the only one who has won a 2011 GS and made the final of another. Maria/Petra/Fran can do this too (or better) with a USO W/F.

Vincey!
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:59 AM

She is the only one who has won a 2011 GS and made the final of another. Maria/Petra/Fran can do this too (or better) with a USO W/F.
I think that as for right now the top 3 are Li Na, Kvitova and Sharapova. it all depends who does what in the USO, if Li Na (which is more plausible than Kvitova I think) go deep like SF or F, she'll get it for sure no matter what the others do after. If Kvitova does make the final she has a shot too and if she wins it obvious that she'll get the award as for Li too. I think Maria would need to win the USO and the YEC to get the award, same with Serena.

Steven.
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:01 AM

Just from speculation. They have never picked the slamless no. 1 of that year to be the player of the year so I'm just guessing that the player of the year has to at least win 1 slam title
2000: Hingis ended the year as no. 1 with no slam titles. The award went to Venus.
2004: Lindsay no. 1 with no slam title. Maria won the award.
2005: Same story. Kim won the award.
2008: Jankovic no. 1 with no slam. Serena won the award.
2010: Wozniacki no. 1 with no slam. Clijsters won the award.

and so that puts Kim, Na and Kvitova up for the award. Then if we compare their year up to now, it's pretty clear Kvitova is the most deserving.

Frontin
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:05 AM
and so that puts Kim, Na and Kvitova up for the award. Then if we compare their year up to now, it's pretty clear Kvitova is the most deserving.

So do you think Petra will get it over Na, if say the USO semifinalists are Serena, Venus, Vika, Vera (or Caro)?

I would think they'd give it to Na coz she made AO final too.

pushniacki
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Can't really see anyone besides consistent Kvitova or the Na-star winning it.

Steven.
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:12 AM
So do you think Petra will get it over Na, if say the USO semifinalists are Serena, Venus, Vika, Vera (or Caro)?

I would think they'd give it to Na coz she made RG final too.

It's not solely about the slams though. If it were, Serena would've won it in the previous year.

Actually, in the process of typing up this post (I had to erase all of it because...), I took a look at both of their year and I think I've severely overestimated Kvitova's. So you're right, Li has a really good chance considering both of them bombed out in a large number of tournaments. :facepalm::sobbing:

But of course, Wimbledon, Madrid, Paris (indoors) and Brisbane is much better than Roland Garros and Sydney, even though Li does have AO finals to boost her 2011 resume. It doesn't help Li that Kvitova has made it to the 2nd week of all slams this year while she fell in R2 of Wimbledon though (tough draw or not).

Frontin
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:18 AM
It will be interesting to watch, that's for sure.

pushniacki
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:19 AM

I would think they'd give it to Na coz she made RG final too.

Wouldn't it be ridiculous to give to to a player who'd missed out half of the WTA season? So I don't think Serena's going to get it, even if she wins the U.S Open, there's just not enough matchplay for her so far. The same thing applies to Venus. Vika, Vera and Caro haven't really contributed anything all year - Vika's semi-final run at Wimbledon and her win at Miami are distant memories, and Caroline' purely #1 rank really pales in comparison with Kvitova's massive improvement - from a win at Brisbane to a win at a Grand Slam all the span of a few months! And that's not even mentioning the leaps and bounds of her ranking. Na deserves it because she's the slam queen this year (with the exception of Wimbledon, where she got unlucky with drawing Sabine).

Frontin
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I hope Na gets it coz the others have plenty of time to get it in their career..

C. Drone
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:27 PM
2slam
slam + YEC
slam + year end #1

whatever combo actually happens.

Mary Cherry.
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Li.

DemWilliamsGulls
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:36 PM
If Serena wins the US Open...probably her.

vozas
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Serena isn't getting it. She didn't get it last year, it's not gonna happen for half a season.

If Li and Kvitova bomb at the 2nd round at the Open, it'll be really awkward.

I think when all is said and done, Maria is gonna arguably have the most consistent year out of all players, and will therefore take the award.

madmax
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
whoever finishes the year strongest will get it in my opinion...if Maria wins US Open and does well in YEC, she'll get it. If Petra or Na reaches US Open final and do well in YEC, then they'll get it too. As for the others, not enough tourneys to overcome three best players of the year - Na/Kvitova/Sharapova

jonny84
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I think Kvitova should get it..........tournaments on all the surfaces, Brisbane (Hard Outdoors), Paris (Indoors), Madrid (Clay) and Wimbledon (grass).

Rise in rankings and winning first slam.

theFutureisNow
Aug 20th, 2011, 06:07 PM
If they awarded it today it would clearly be Kvitova.

She's been playing worse lately, so we'll have to see how the rest of the year goes.

18majors
Aug 20th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Kvitova won 4 tournaments including Wimbledon and Madrid.

Ferg
Aug 20th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Serena isn't getting it. She didn't get it last year, it's not gonna happen for half a season.

If Li and Kvitova bomb at the 2nd round at the Open, it'll be really awkward.

I think when all is said and done, Maria is gonna arguably have the most consistent year out of all players, and will therefore take the award.

Really? So 1 title, slam final and semi >>> 4 titles including a slam and one slam QF or 2 titles including a slam and another slam final?

Buitenzorg
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:29 AM
Li for winning FO and Sydney also RU at the AO :)

Ayumilover.
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:38 AM
Hopefully it will be Nana. All she needs is a good US Open and we all know it will likely happen :bounce:

She is by far the best player on the WTA (apart from Serena and Maria), but she's done the best this year.
Li really deserves it soo much, and it would put a smile to my face to see her get it. Na is no. 1!! :yeah:

also, it would be stupid for the WTA not to give it to her. HELLO...China = money :devil:

Nana :hearts:

Moo_21
Aug 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM
All depends on the US Open and YEC but I think at this moment in time it has to be Kvitova

deliverance.
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
Kvitova. She won tournaments on every surface (in good style) - hard, clay, grass.
Only not hardcourt in USA.

Craig.
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
Kvitova or Li probably. They've had higher peaks than anyone else.

Angela YM
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM
I hope NaNa will get this faward,she is deserved it if she can be the USO semifinalist. Of cause, Petra also have the chance to get it. Anyway, USO is opened to all, including Serena,Maria,Vika.They all have chances. Good luck, NaNa

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Don't think any of them actually deserves it.:o

Li only did great in the first half of the year and since then (so far), she does nothing.
Kvitova did win titles on different surfaces but did not show much consistency yet.
Serena will have to wait if she will win USO. Even she wins USO and YEC, it would be a joke if she wins the Player of the "Year" award based on her half year performance.:spit:
Others have no slams, so it would be out of the question too.

LightsOut!
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:11 PM
I think Wozniacki... :shrug:

But Serena should become comeback player of the year :haha: :yeah:

MB.
Aug 21st, 2011, 05:36 PM
Why are we voting on this before we know results of USO?

practiceboy
Aug 30th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Serena FTW

vozas
Aug 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Maria is taking it.

goldenlox
Aug 30th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Now there will be 4 different slam winners.
And if Wozniacki is #1 for 51 weeks, she's in there too.

vozas
Aug 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Now there will be 4 different slam winners.
And if Wozniacki is #1 for 51 weeks, she's in there too.

Wozniacki's pre-QF bombs at the slams and 1st rd flameouts during this summer immediately take her out of contention. Plus she's not finishing the year as #1 anyways.

DragonFlame
Aug 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Li Na doesn't deserve it after today's performance..., or lack thereof.

Mindless.

Steven.
Aug 30th, 2011, 10:09 PM
this USO really shows why Kvitova and Li doesn't deserve it. They might as well skip half the year with all of their flame-outs in the opening rounds or their second round. Serena playing only 5 tournaments in 2010 is more deserving for the title of WTA Player of the Year than these two.

Dado90
Aug 30th, 2011, 10:12 PM
after Petra and Na loses at 1st round of USO without any doubt Masha :inlove:

DiogoP.
Aug 30th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Probably Maria :shrug:

goldenlox
Aug 30th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Maria will probably have to win this major or YE #1 to win it.

Pasta-Na
Sep 11th, 2011, 11:44 PM
no idea :o

Orbis
Sep 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Well this year is a real crapshoot :lol:

goldenlox
Sep 11th, 2011, 11:51 PM
There is still the YEC & YE #1. But right now I would say Wozniacki. But she needs YE #1

Potato
Sep 11th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I'm pretty sure Li will get it.

SilverPersian
Sep 11th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I think Li...could really seal the deal if she wins one of Tokyo/Beijing/YEC.

But it's really open.

Setsuna.
Sep 12th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Li Na so far.

justineheninfan
Sep 12th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I have a feeling they will give it to one of Na or Kvitova right now. Na since she was the only one to reach 2 slam finals (and won one), Kvitova since she won a slam and some Premier titles too. If either Clijster or Stosur go on a tear in the fall the could get it. Even Serena might have a shot if she wins 3 or 4 more tournaments and the WTA Championships, although she is unlikely now.

No way they give it to a slam final-less Wozniacki two years in a row, I would be willing to be money on that. Unless maybe she wins the WTA Championships, but that wont happen.

Purple_Rain
Sep 12th, 2011, 03:56 AM
No one really deserves it, because no one was consistent at the Slams. Maybe Petkovic gets it then. :lol:

I'd say Kvitova over Li, and Stosur vs. Li is too close to call. Sam underperformed for much of the year, but finished strong, while Li had a great showing at two Slams and didn't show up for the other two. So I guess it's Kvitova? :shrug:

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
1. Na or
2. Kvitova or
3. None gets it.:oh:

QuietPlease
Sep 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM
The 2011 WTA player of the year award is hard to predict. 4 different Slam winners that all disappointed in other parts of the season. YE#1 looks like a battle between Caroline and Maria, neither won a Slam, but Maria was in the Wimby final and Caro won a tour leading 6 titles.

Maybe the YEC could be decisive?

No way they give it to a slam final-less Wozniacki two years in a row, I would be willing to be money on that. Unless maybe she wins the WTA Championships, but that wont happen.

2010 WTA player of the year: Clijsters
2010 ITF player of the year: Wozniacki

Wozniacki never got the WTA player of the year award. The ITF usually picks the YE#1.

backhandsmash
Sep 12th, 2011, 11:33 AM
It's really between Li and Kvitova. I will be very surprised if it's not one of them.

goldenlox
Sep 12th, 2011, 12:28 PM
2010 WTA player of the year: Clijsters
2010 ITF player of the year: Wozniacki

Wozniacki never got the WTA player of the year award. The ITF usually picks the YE#1.There is a good chance Wozniacki will get both this year.
If she is #1 for 51 weeks, while the slam winners dont win matches for months and months, its probably Caroline

Balltossovic
Sep 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM
There's NO WAY it should be given to Caroline. Li Na is the quite obvious choice. The only one with a slam win AND slam final, plus tour title win. Expect her to do well in at least one more tourney this year, and make a run at the YEC.

It will be a disgrace if Maria or Caroline get it. The award will be a joke; just like the tour has been the majority of this year:o

And I'm not taking anything away from Caroline, she has been the most consistant, but that's about it. Had Maria won against Petra, I would've been firmly in her corner!

AcesHigh
Sep 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Li Na definitely doesn't deserve it with her TWO TITLES and 31-14 record.

I think you have to give it to Kvitova.

Chrissie-fan
Sep 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
If either Li, Kvitova, Stosur or Wozniacki wins the YEC I think she'll get the nod because she will have 'two big things' - if it's one of the first three a slam plus YEC, if it's the last one (probably) the #1 ranking plus YEC.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM
If it's Player of the Year, Na Li will win it based on popularity.:oh: Na >>> Woz >>>>Kvitova

Crockett
Sep 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I think it will be. The short list of candidates should all be there, and if one of them excels there, she will be the obvious choice.

Comeback player of the year is much easier to predict :worship:

nevetssllim
Sep 12th, 2011, 01:46 PM

I think so too. Nobody has a clear-cut case to be Player of the Year but about 5-6 players are in the running and a win at the YEC has the ability to tilt the balance. At the moment I'd probably give it to Kvitova who's won titles on all the surfaces this year.

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM
WIll today's win mean Petra winning POTY?:oh:

Mynarco
Oct 16th, 2011, 01:57 PM
^ whoever wins YEC seals POTY

backhandsmash
Oct 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I think it is only between Li and Kvitova. No matter what happens here.

Steven.
Oct 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM

This year is eerily similar to last year when comparing the most succesful players. Wozniacki, again, still has the most titles won this year as she did in 2010, but Kvitova is pretty much this year's Clijsters to Wozniacki in that they both won similar amount of tournaments as Wozniacki but have a slam under their belt.

Kvitova takes POTY this year, while Woz takes home the less relevant ITF Player of the year award.

marineblue
Oct 16th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Wozniacki.

twinbridge
Oct 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM
LI Na, Kvitova, Sharapova or Woz if either of them wins YEC in Istanbul.

Coconut91
Oct 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM

To me she was POTY before Linz. Now she's a little bit more POTY, and at the YEC she has a great chance to clear away the doubts anyone might have. :)

Adrian.
Oct 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Wozniacki.

:haha::haha::haha:

goldenlox
Oct 16th, 2011, 02:55 PM
YEC will probably determine PotY in a very open year.
This looks like the most important YEC since 2006

hBence
Oct 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Serena

Edith09
Oct 16th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Kvitova, if she plays good YEC.

Belmont Lad
Oct 16th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Petra probably, for sure if she does well at the YEC.

dsanders06
Oct 16th, 2011, 03:17 PM
There is a good chance Wozniacki will get both this year.
If she is #1 for 51 weeks, while the slam winners dont win matches for months and months, its probably Caroline

Give it up :lol:

Kvitova's definitely got this if she either wins or makes the final at the YEC (one of them happening is almost certain seeing as she and Maria are the OVERWHELMING favourites there), unless Na somehow pulls a win at the YEC out of nowhere.

Roookie
Oct 16th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Either Petra, Caro or Woz. I don't See Na Li winning it at this point. I agree that Petra making the YEC final should seal POY. Whereas Caro/Maria need to win it.

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 16th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Slam win > YEC win, no?:shrug: Unless Masha wins YEC undefeated and get to #1, I think Petra is more deserving.:shrug:
Caro will win POTY if she wins YEC.

dsanders06
Oct 16th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Slam win > YEC win, no?:shrug: Unless Masha wins YEC undefeated and get to #1, I think Petra is more deserving.:shrug:
Caro will win POTY if she wins YEC.

No she wouldn't :lol: The award's only ever gone to Slam winners... literally without exception. Even the WTA themselves don't put any stock in the #1 spot :lol:

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
No she wouldn't :lol: The award's only ever gone to Slam winners... literally without exception. Even the WTA themselves don't put any stock in the #1 spot :lol:

If only current year slam winners will get, it's clear now that Petra will get it.:cheer:

Edy.
Oct 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Kvitova, Stosur or Li if they win the YEC.

Setsuna.
Oct 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Who was the last player to win the POTY award without a Slam?

dsanders06
Oct 16th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Who was the last player to win the POTY award without a Slam?

It's never happened in 35 years of the award. Even the WTA recognise not winning a Slam is a deal-breaker in being the real #1 of the year :shrug:

Setsuna.
Oct 16th, 2011, 07:37 PM
^ Thanks for the answer. So no way in hell Woz wins the POTY award this year. I think Petra will win it unless Li Na/Stosur somehow wins the YEC.

Tatcher
Oct 16th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Of course Petra..:worship: Or Caro, but only if she wins YEC (it is unlikely)

Renalicious
Oct 16th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Petra. But Maybe Maria if she wins YEC...

Petra has Madrid, Linz, Brisbane and Wimbly. Should be enough.

CloudAtlas
Oct 17th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Probably Kvitova , she will tie Woz for year titles when she wins YEC , plus one will be a Slam so she's the most credible. No way are the other 3 Slam winners this year in contention for it. I'd put both Sharapova and Wozniacki ahead of Li, Stosur and Clijsters.

Pasta-Na
Oct 17th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Indicator: :angel:

-ESPN Awards: Women's player of the year: Li Na

That Li won a major wasn't a shock. The surprise was that she won at the French Open, the only Slam where she hadn't reached the quarterfinals prior to 2011.

But it was no fluke. Li downed two in-form players (Petra Kvitova and Victoria Azarenka) before topping the defending champ, Francesca Schiavone, to become China's first Grand Slam winner.

And she was the only women's major winner of 2011 to get to at least the semis at two Slams, landing in the finale in Melbourne.

- no on-court coaching :oh:

Jens K A
Oct 17th, 2011, 03:27 AM
The award's only ever gone to Slam winners... literally without exception.

Still making this false claim after I corrected you (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=20344178#post20344178)?

Quoting from my post there:
"It's long ago but Tracy Austin was the title leader in 1980 and got WTA player of the year without reaching a slam final. Chris Evert skipped the Australian Open, won the French Open, reached the Wimbledon final, won the US Open, and was year end #1. None of the 2011 slam winners have impressed like this."

However, Wozniacki's 2011 is below Austin's 1980. With no good slam winner, Wozniacki may still have a chance if she wins YEC, or Sharapova if she wins and takes year end #1.

Year end rank of WTA player of the year since the first award in 1977:
4 1977 Virginia Wade
1 1978 Martina Navratilova
1 1979 Martina Navratilova
2 1980 Tracy Austin
1 1981 Chris Evert
1 1982 Martina Navratilova
1 1983 Martina Navratilova
1 1984 Martina Navratilova
1 1985 Martina Navratilova
1 1986 Martina Navratilova
1 1987 Steffi Graf
1 1988 Steffi Graf
1 1989 Steffi Graf
1 1990 Steffi Graf
1 1991 Monica Seles
1 1992 Monica Seles
1 1993 Steffi Graf
1 1994 Steffi Graf
1 1995 Steffi Graf
1 1996 Steffi Graf
1 1997 Martina Hingis
1 1998 Lindsay Davenport
2 1999 Lindsay Davenport
3 2000 Venus Williams
2 2001 Jennifer Capriati
1 2002 Serena Williams
1 2003 Justine Henin-Hardenne
4 2004 Maria Sharapova
2 2005 Kim Clijsters
3 2006 Amélie Mauresmo
1 2007 Justine Henin
2 2008 Serena Williams
1 2009 Serena Williams
3 2010 Kim Clijsters

Li is currently #5 in the WTA Race. She has the best slam results but nobody that low has ever got player of the year.

twinbridge
Oct 17th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Still making this false claim after I corrected you (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=20344178#post20344178)?

"It's long ago but Tracy Austin was the title leader in 1980 and got WTA player of the year without reaching a slam final. Chris Evert skipped the Australian Open, won the French Open, reached the Wimbledon final, won the US Open, and was year end #1. None of the 2011 slam winners have impressed like this."

However, Wozniacki's 2011 is below Austin's 1980. With no good slam winner, Wozniacki may still have a chance if she wins YEC, or Sharapova if she wins and takes year end #1.

Li is currently #5 in the WTA Race. She has the best slam results but nobody that low has ever got player of the year.

LI will be No. 3/4 if she wins Istanbul, and with a YEC champion and historical 3rd Year-End RANKING, it will be sufficient for her to be PotY of 2011.

The Kaz
Oct 17th, 2011, 09:07 AM
With Petra winning her 5th title in Linz, she is a lock-in for the POTY IMO.

Compared her the Caro

GS: 1/0
PM: 1/1
P5: 0/1
PR: 1/3
MM: 2/1

GS Results
Petra: W/QF/4/1 = W/L: 14-3 (82%)
Caro: SF/SF/4/3 = W/L: 15-4 (79%)

Petra's overall record is better :shrug:

willrock
Oct 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM
If any of these 3 players win the YEC : Kvitova, Li Na, Sam Stosur. The winner of the YEC would then be the PoY!
Don't you agree?
If the Woz wins it, she'll be too IMO...

Johnbert
Oct 17th, 2011, 09:19 AM
must be petra :hatoff:

and wtf why has sharapova again so many votes?! :haha: :hysteric:

guichard
Oct 17th, 2011, 09:35 AM
With Petra winning her 5th title in Linz, she is a lock-in for the POTY IMO.

Compared her the Caro

GS: 1/0
PM: 1/1
P5: 0/1
PR: 1/3
MM: 2/1

GS Results
Petra: W/QF/4/1 = W/L: 14-3 (82%)
Caro: SF/SF/4/3 = W/L: 15-4 (79%)

Petra's overall record is better :shrug:
Yeah but if she(Petra)bombed at YEC it will work against her. Li and Stosur still have a shot

Cherry.
Oct 17th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Because this poll was created before the US Open. :shrug:
Some people thought Maria would have a shot if she had a good run there. And that's also why Stosur isn't even an option in this poll.
Anyways why do you care so much about the votes? You know most fans will just vote for their favs and the one with the biggest fan base most likely ends up with the more votes. :lol:

Johnbert
Oct 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Because this poll was created before the US Open. :shrug:
Some people thought Maria would have a shot if she had a good run there. And that's also why Stosur isn't even an option in this poll.
Anyways why do you care so much about the votes? You know most fans will just vote for their favs and the one with the biggest fan base most likely ends up with the more votes. :lol:

ok, haven't seen that this thread was created in august :kiss:

well, a lot depends on the yec. whoever will win this, has a good shot for poty :)

Tatcher
Oct 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM

She won two Premier5 :lol: :help:

bobito
Oct 17th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Because people think with their dicks. :rolleyes:

Petra has two shots to put this one beyond doubt. Either YEC or remain unbeaten in Fed Cup (winning it would be great but just winning every one of her Fed Cup rubbers all year would be enough for POTY ). Even if she does neither, she's probably still earned it unless one of the other slam winners bags the YEC.

Patrick345
Oct 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
If Na Li or Stosur don´t win the YEC, it should be Kvitova.

Maria rocks
Oct 17th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Maria hopefully. Should be fab to watch who ever wins it tho.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 17th, 2011, 01:11 PM
you talking about WTA Player of year
or ITF World Champion

two entirely diff things
think Kvitova will take the ITF one

sammy01
Oct 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM

GOATs get votes! :p

longtin23
Oct 17th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Li/Kvitova
See who will win YEC

Londoner
Oct 17th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Because people think with their dicks. :rolleyes:.

Not sure about that on here;)

Londoner
Oct 17th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I'd put Bartoli above a lot on the list.

stromatolite
Oct 17th, 2011, 02:31 PM
The WTA must be hoping that one of the slam winners wins the YEC. In that case they would have a clear POTY that not too many people could grumble about (although some will grumble whoever wins). If Vika, Vera or Aga win, they could probably still justify giving it to a slam winner, probably Petra. The worst case, most divisive scenario will be if either Caro or Maria win. Then they would really be under pressure to give the award for the first time to a slamless player, but although that would please Caro's/Maria's fanbase, almost everyone else would hate it.

MB.
Oct 17th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Best case scenario for the WTA would be Kvitova winning; 6 titles, first Slam (and Wimbledon, at that), and YEC (arguably biggest title after the Slams).

If Wozniacki wins YEC, that will be quite a conundrum...

CloudAtlas
Oct 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Best case scenario for the WTA would be Kvitova winning; 6 titles, first Slam (and Wimbledon, at that), and YEC (arguably biggest title after the Slams).

If Wozniacki wins YEC, that will be quite a conundrum...

It might be difficult for them not to consider a woman who would have been ranked #1 for the entire year bar 1 week for the award, but ultimately Kvitova still has the edge. She's had her freak losses but she's also won quite a few titles and beaten quite a few top players to back up her Slam win throughout the year , whereas Stosur has done diddly squat other than win her Slam and Li's good form came to an abrupt halt as soon as she won that RG final.

Of course Clijsters isn't even close to being in contention for POTY.

CloudAtlas
Oct 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM
The WTA must be hoping that one of the slam winners wins the YEC. In that case they would have a clear POTY that not too many people could grumble about (although some will grumble whoever wins). If Vika, Vera or Aga win, they could probably still justify giving it to a slam winner, probably Petra. The worst case, most divisive scenario will be if either Caro or Maria win. Then they would really be under pressure to give the award for the first time to a slamless player, but although that would please Caro's/Maria's fanbase, almost everyone else would hate it.

True , but it's also clear that there's never been 4 largely inconsistent Slam champions in one year before. Exceptional circumstances can lead to exceptional decisions ;)

sammy01
Oct 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM
True , but it's also clear that there's never been 4 largely inconsistent Slam champions in one year before. Exceptional circumstances can lead to exceptional decisions ;)

and we thought the world was ending next year :tape::p

Matt01
Oct 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM
If any of these 3 players win the YEC : Kvitova, Li Na, Sam Stosur. The winner of the YEC would then be the PoY!
Don't you agree?
If the Woz wins it, she'll be too IMO...

Not sure about Stosur since she has done so little outside of her Slam win. If Pova wins YEC and reaches #1 she could become player of the year (WTA award or ITF or whatever), too.

MM_1257
Oct 17th, 2011, 06:31 PM
IMO Petra Kvitova.

dsanders06
Oct 17th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Petra isn't a 'lock' yet. Theoretically, if Na were to win the YEC, she'd be a shoo-in - she'd be holding 2 of the 5 biggest titles plus an extra Slam final, which would top Petra's year regardless of "consistency".

Of course, IN PRACTICE, Na probably isn't going to win the YEC :lol: but I'm just saying in theory it's not decided yet :p

Year end rank of WTA player of the year since the first award in 1977:
4 1977 Virginia Wade
1 1978 Martina Navratilova
1 1979 Martina Navratilova
2 1980 Tracy Austin
1 1981 Chris Evert
1 1982 Martina Navratilova
1 1983 Martina Navratilova
1 1984 Martina Navratilova
1 1985 Martina Navratilova
1 1986 Martina Navratilova
1 1987 Steffi Graf
1 1988 Steffi Graf
1 1989 Steffi Graf
1 1990 Steffi Graf
1 1991 Monica Seles
1 1992 Monica Seles
1 1993 Steffi Graf
1 1994 Steffi Graf
1 1995 Steffi Graf
1 1996 Steffi Graf
1 1997 Martina Hingis
1 1998 Lindsay Davenport
2 1999 Lindsay Davenport
3 2000 Venus Williams
2 2001 Jennifer Capriati
1 2002 Serena Williams
1 2003 Justine Henin-Hardenne
4 2004 Maria Sharapova
2 2005 Kim Clijsters
3 2006 Amélie Mauresmo
1 2007 Justine Henin
2 2008 Serena Williams
1 2009 Serena Williams
3 2010 Kim Clijsters

ok, I stand corrected: it happened once, 30 years ago. But clearly, since then, they've decided it would never happen again, seeing as FAR stronger Slamless #1s than Wozniacki have been passed up for the award in recent years. In 2005, all the Slam champions were far more inconsistent than this year's (they didn't make a single Slam QF other than the one they won) ... but the award still didn't go to year-ending #1 Lindsay, who was both far more consistent than Wozniacki has this year AND had made two Slam finals. If they were going to give it to any Slamless player (which they won't), they'd give it to Maria.

Excelscior
Oct 17th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I'm not arguing who will be player of the year right now (though I could, of course). Lol. But I do have an interesting tid bit to add; that I'm not sure many people realize.

If Petra wins the YEC; she would of won two titles in the beginning, middle and end of the year. For all the perception of Petra being inconsistent, that's great balance. The only only other player that approaches Petra's balance (but doesn't), is Wozniaki. But as Bobito already showed us, her titles, and who she beat to win them, pale in comparison to Petra. They even currently have the same winning %, at 80% (Petra's 53-13 vs Wozniaki's 62-15).

Even if Petra didn't win the YEC, she'd still have won 2 titles in the beginning and middle of the year, and one at the end of it. Again; that's still nice balance.

And I didn't add, that Petra could still be on the Championship winning Czech team in Fed Cup (and/or go undefeated there).

Honestly speaking, Petra could really have a super banner year, that would leave these POY decisions, much more simple than many of us realize. It's already near that now (5 titles, best winning %, top money earner, Slam winner, etc.).

If Petra wins YEC, and the Fed Cup, then it's a slam Dunk!!! She'll win both awards easy!

stromatolite
Oct 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM

That's why it would help if one of them won the YEC, because then the POTY would have won 2 big titles at least. I think it would be best all round if Petra won: the YEC added to her other titles this year would actually make a pretty respectable tally. Personally I wouldn't lose any sleep over a slamless POTY, but if the last couple of weeks of posts here are any indication a lot of people would.

goldenlox
Oct 17th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I dont understand the voting. Last year Kim won USO & YEC & Miami but Caroline won ITF PotY.
This year Caroline also has 6 titles including a mandatory, just like 2010,but hasnt closed the door on YE #1.

This year, the YEC seems important than most years.

Meelis
Oct 17th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I dont understand the voting. Last year Kim won USO & YEC & Miami but Caroline won ITF PotY.

Wozniacki was named ITF world champion, Clijsters was voted WTA player of the year.

ITF usually selects #1 player to be a world champion. Only five times during 30 years have differed.

MB.
Oct 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Wozniacki was named ITF world champion, Clijsters was voted WTA player of the year.

ITF usually selects #1 player to be a world champion. Only five times during 30 years have differed.

This. The ITF is (nearly) guaranteed to select the #1 ranked player as the world champion.

The WTA POTY, however, is more subjective and doesn't necessarily go to the #1 ranked player, which is why there's really a good case to be made for Petra here (especially if she wins YEC/FC).

toby345
Oct 17th, 2011, 11:16 PM
If Li gets it :help:

I mean she was soooo bad after AO until FO.

Steven.
Oct 17th, 2011, 11:25 PM

This so much. I've said about a billion times that WTA POY always goes to a grand slam champion (but of course people had to talk about awards from 30 years ago) and ITF mostly goes to the YE no. 1.

If Li gets it :help:

I mean she was soooo bad after AO until FO.

Did you know that Li Na has only strung together 2 consecutive wins in 6 tournaments this year? Sydney, Australian Open, Madrid, Rome, Roland Garros, New Haven. She seriously 100% WILL NOT get POY this year.

Jens K A
Oct 18th, 2011, 03:10 AM
ok, I stand corrected: it happened once, 30 years ago. But clearly, since then, they've decided it would never happen again, seeing as FAR stronger Slamless #1s than Wozniacki have been passed up for the award in recent years. In 2005, all the Slam champions were far more inconsistent than this year's (they didn't make a single Slam QF other than the one they won) ... but the award still didn't go to year-ending #1 Lindsay, who was both far more consistent than Wozniacki has this year AND had made two Slam finals.

Venus was actually R4, R3, W, QF in 2005 slams for 16 won matches. None of the 2011 slam winners have more than 14. Guess who won the most slam matches in 2011: Sharapova with 16 followed by Wozniacki and Schiavone with 15.

The 2005 player of the year was Clijsters who won nine singles titles, including Indian Wells, Miami and US Open. Yes, she was inconsistent in slams and finished the year as #2 with 4829 points, slightly behind Davenport with 4910, but Clijsters had a much better 2005 than any of the 2011 slam winners.

Wiggly
Oct 18th, 2011, 03:24 AM
If Kvitova wins the Fed Cup Final, she should win the ITF award.

If the WTA doesn't give it to Wozniacki, it really cheapens their whole ranking system.

Excelscior
Oct 18th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Venus was actually R4, R3, W, QF in 2005 slams for 16 won matches. None of the 2011 slam winners have more than 14. Guess who won the most slam matches in 2011: Sharapova with 16 followed by Wozniacki and Schiavone with 15.

The 2005 player of the year was Clijsters who won nine singles titles, including Indian Wells, Miami and US Open. Yes, she was inconsistent in slams and finished the year as #2 with 4829 points, slightly behind Davenport with 4910, but Clijsters had a much better 2005 than any of the 2011 slam winners.

:confused: :lol: :confused: I disagree!!!

Don't make it sound like it's so absolute or true!!

Talula
Oct 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Maybe there isn't actually a player of the year? Maybe the WTA should scrap it for 2011?

Talula
Oct 18th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I'd put Bartoli above a lot on the list.

I would put Marion ahead of Caroline for sure. Her slam record is much better and she has had an excellent consistent year on each surface.

Cherry.
Oct 18th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I would put Marion ahead of Caroline for sure. Her slam record is much better and she has had an excellent consistent year on each surface.:facepalm: I just can't.
Caroline: SF 3R 4R SF
Marion: 2R SF QF 2R
Unless "much better" now has a different meaning. :help:

Talula
Oct 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM
:facepalm: I just can't.
Caroline: SF 3R 4R SF
Marion: 2R SF QF 2R
Unless "much better" now has a different meaning. :help:

:lol: It seemed better and I genuinely thought it was! But now you have shone the lamp in my eyes I concede!

CWTennis
Oct 18th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I don't like Kvitova but I have to admit she deserves it!

Dexter
Oct 18th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Id choose Kvitova... it just has to be a Slam winner. Especially if she does well in Istanbul and I hope she does.

Shaun:::
Oct 18th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Petra at the moment
she won 5(or6???forgot:lol:)title including GS n Mandatory this year

StephenUK
Oct 18th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I think it will all depend who wins WTA Champs. It's a toss-up between Li Na, as the only slam winner to have reached another slam final, and Kvitova, who has had an overall better year, at the moment.

barmaid
Oct 18th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Really hard to predict a player who excelled this year..all the GS winners had great wins and yet faired poorly in other areas of consistency, can Caroline remain #1 and still win the "Player of the Year" award? I don't think so it would have to be a slam winner maybe even Stosur!:worship:

Barmaid:wavey:

Huntress55
Oct 18th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Right now, Petra.

But if Li, or even Sam can win YEC then maybe them.

Excelscior
Oct 18th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I just looked up Li Na's record this year, since Steven and Espanol brought up some good points on her record this year.

2011 records, win % and tourneys of Li Na, Caroline, Maria and Petra from the WTA website

Li Na 31-15 =67% in 17 tourneys
Petra 53-13 =80% in 18 tourneys
Caro 62-15 =80% in 21 tourneys
Maria 42-13 =76% in 14 tourneys

bobito
Oct 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Kvitova's season highlights
Beat Sharapova to win Wimbledon
Beat Azarenka to win Madrid
Beat Clijsters to win Paris
Beat Petkovic to win Brisbane
Beat Cibulkova to win Linz
Unbeaten (4-0) in Fed Cup this year en route to final

Wozniacki's season highlights
Beat Bartoli to win Indian Wells
Beat Kuznetsova to win Dubai
Beat Peng to win Brussels
Beat Cetkovska to win New Haven
Beat Vesnina to win Charleston
Beat Safarova to win Copenhagen

Li Na's season highlights
Beat Schiavone to win Roland Garros
Beat Clijsters to win Sydney
Runner-up to Clijsters at Australian Open

Stosur's season highlights
Beat Williams to win US Open
Runner-up to Sharapova at Rome
Runner-up to Williams at Toronto

Sharapova's season highlights
Beat Stosur to win Rome
Beat Jankovic to win Cincinatti
Runner-up to Kvitova at Wimbledon
Runner-up to Azarenka at Miami

Azarenka's season highlights
Beat Sharapova to win Miami
Beat Begu to win Marbella
Runner-up to Kvitova at Madrid

longtin23
Oct 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Li is a ver very breakthrough for Asian players, maybe it;s more meaningful than giving it to Kvitty, and if they really give it to Li, more Chinese will watch tennis and thus boost the sales of tickets or related products...

dsanders06
Oct 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Did you know that Li Na has only strung together 2 consecutive wins in 6 tournaments this year? Sydney, Australian Open, Madrid, Rome, Roland Garros, New Haven. She seriously 100% WILL NOT get POY this year.

I disagree. I think Slam W + Slam Final + YEC would top Kvitova :shrug:
(Though again, this is probably all academic as Na in all likelihood WON'T win the YEC :lol: And if she doesn't, she's definitely out of the running.)

LOL at you thinking "matches won at Slams" is in any way a relevant statistic :lol: That would only work if you think a 1st-round win at a Grand Slam has the same value as winning a Grand Slam final.

And if Petra or Na were to win the YEC, their 2011 would easily top Kim's 2005. EASILY.

bobito
Oct 18th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Li is a ver very breakthrough for Asian players, maybe it;s more meaningful than giving it to Kvitty, and if they really give it to Li, more Chinese will watch tennis and thus boost the sales of tickets or related products...

Player of the Year shouldn't be awarded on the basis of where they are from, you award it on the basis of what they have done. Kvitova (5 titles, 80% winning record) has had a better year than Li (2 titles, 67%).

And if Petra or Na were to win the YEC, their 2011 would easily top Kim's 2005. EASILY.

Nope, and Li wouldn't even be close. Clijsters returned from injury and immediately won Indian Wells and Miami back to back (only player other than Graf to do it), won the US Open and 6 other titles making it 9 for the year.

John.
Oct 18th, 2011, 02:45 PM
At the moment, I'd give it to Petra. GS and titles on a variety of surfaces. If she wins the YEC, I think it's a done deal.

bobito
Oct 18th, 2011, 02:52 PM
At the moment, I'd give it to Petra. GS and titles on a variety of surfaces. If she wins the YEC, I think it's a done deal.

Excellent point. Titles on grass, clay and both indoor and outdoor hard courts hasn't been done since Justine in 2007!

dsanders06
Oct 18th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Nope, and Li wouldn't even be close. Clijsters returned from injury and immediately won Indian Wells and Miami back to back (only player other than Graf to do it), won the US Open and 6 other titles making it 9 for the year.

Slam final and YEC would trump 3 Tier 1's and a clutch of MMs :shrug: And I LOVE Kim.

Matt01
Oct 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Player of the Year shouldn't be awarded on the basis of where they are from, you award it on the basis of what they have done. Kvitova (5 titles, 80% winning record) has had a better year than Li (2 titles, 67%).

Yeah these numbers are in Petra's favour, but these are only numbers, Slams are most important and here Na has done more. If Na wins YEC she has YEC, 1 Slam win, 1 Slam final, 1 Premier win. That arguably trumps Kvitova's results who has won more tournaments but 2 of them were MM and who like Na had some very embarassing losses as well.

stromatolite
Oct 19th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Yeah these numbers are in Petra's favour, but these are only numbers, Slams are most important and here Na has done more. If Na wins YEC she has YEC, 1 Slam win, 1 Slam final, 1 Premier win. That arguably trumps Kvitova's results who has won more tournaments but 2 of them were MM and who like Na had some very embarassing losses as well.

I agree that if Na wins the YEC (not likely, but you never know) she would be the frontrunner for POTY. The difference between her and Petra is that Petra will still be a strong contender even if she doesn't win the YEC. To award it to Li if she doesn't win in Istanbul would be a joke. I mean no offence to her, I like her a lot and hope she recovers her form soon, but her game has been a mess since RG.

Lunaticalm
Oct 19th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Li Na if she wins Istanbul no doubt about that, but Petra comes in second I guess. Either way, I'll be happy for the two of them whoever does win.

Johnbert
Oct 19th, 2011, 05:32 AM
also woz could be a candidate if she win's the yec...

stromatolite
Oct 19th, 2011, 05:39 AM
also woz could be a candidate if she win's the yec...

I agree, a world no. 1 who wins the YEC would be hard to ignore. But even then she would not be a popular choice in some quarters.

Brad[le]y.
Oct 19th, 2011, 05:43 AM
IMO Kvitova: variety of titles which include: 2 internationals, 1 Premier, 1 Premier Mandatory, and of course a slam :D

Excelscior
Oct 19th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Kvitova vs Cibulkova Linz 2011 Highlights

I dare anyone on TF to find me a player (outside of an inform Serena) who can simultaneously serve, ROS, hit, move, volley, and show touch/variety like this?

Note: that wicked serve out wide, at 36 seconds, was a second serve!!!
Note: How Cibulkova unsuccessfully tried to drop shot Petra several times, but Petra was able to successfully drop shot her more times.

http://youtu.be/UDW8nKIKml0

Not sure why it's not embedding.

backhandsmash
Oct 19th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Try this: (youtube)UDW8nKIKml0(/youtube)

But with [ ] instead of ( ).

Steven.
Oct 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Remember though, while a slam is a HUGE factor in WTA POTY, their entire season is taken into account too. If it wasn't, Serena would've won WTA POTY in 2010 as she held 2 slam, and another slam QF but that wasn't the case obviously.

I've mentioned a bit earlier in this post that Li Na is way too inconsistent this year to receive the POTY award, and it'll be insulting to pass award receivers if she does. She's has only been able to string 2 mere consecutive wins this season in 6 tournaments - an abysmal record for even a top 30, let alone top 10, player and very undeserving of POTY.

Kim has virtually been out since Miami, so she definitely will not receive it, while Sam has had a very average year for a top 10 player too (and really is only top 10 because she won the USO - she was never top 10 in the race this year until the USO) and so she will definitely not receive it either. That only leaves with Kvitova.

If ANYONE else, other than Kvitova, gets WTA POTY for their efforts this year, I'll be very, very shocked.

Excelscior
Oct 19th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Try this: (youtube)UDW8nKIKml0(/youtube)

But with [ ] instead of ( ).

Thanks

The embed code was this (below), but it wasn't embedding. So I had provided the link instead.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UDW8nKIKml0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SilverPersian
Oct 19th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Kvitova vs Cibulkova Linz 2011 Highlights

I dare anyone on TF to find me a player (outside of an inform Serena) who can simultaneously serve, ROS, hit, move, volley, and show touch/variety like this?

Note: that wicked serve out wide, at 36 seconds, was a second serve!!!
Note: How Cibulkova unsuccessfully tried to drop shot Petra several times, but Petra was able to successfully drop shot her more times.

There's a kind of artful violence to Kvitova's game that makes her quite terrifying. At least she doesn't play like this every week :help:

Excelscior
Oct 19th, 2011, 01:21 PM
There's a kind of artful violence to Kvitova's game that makes her quite terrifying. At least she doesn't play like this every week :help:

Agreed!

You weren't the only one that noticed! Lol:) :) :)

Yeah. It's simultaneously scary, beautiful and breathtaking when she puts it together like that.

If you're a Kvitova fan, let's hope she maintains form for Istanbul.