PDA

View Full Version : Hingis keen to line up in her fifth Hopman Cup

go hingis
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:52 PM
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/tennis/10069769/hopman-organisers-look-to-tempt-federer/

Hopman Cup tournament director Paul McNamee will step up plans to lure Roger Federer back to Perth after Lleyton Hewitt was locked in for a sixth time yesterday.
Hewitt will team up with world No.30 Jarmila Gajdosova for Australia, with French Open women's winner Li Na partnering Chinese teenager Wu Di at Burswood from December 31 to January 7.
Li, runner-up at this year's Australian Open, made history when she became the first Asian to win a grand slam singles title at Roland Garros this year.
McNamee said he would arrange a "face-to-face" meeting with Federer at the US Open after the 17-times grand slam champion expressed an interest in teaming with Martina Hingis in the mixed doubles at next year's London Olympic Games.
Federer last played the Hopman Cup in 2000-2001 when he and Hingis beat Jan-Michael Gambill and Monica Seles 2-1 in the final.
McNamee said Federer's interest in playing mixed doubles had created a "window of opportunity" after he had earlier turned down what is an annual invitation to Perth.
"I did get a no from Roger earlier in the year but given there is this story circulating that he will be playing mixed doubles at the Olympics with Martina Hingis, I certainly will ask the question again when I go to New York," McNamee said.
"They would be a phenomenal team, especially as they have won this tournament and Roger's first professional victory was in Perth."
McNamee said the chances of the dream pairing hinged on Federer, with Hingis keen to line up in her fifth Hopman Cup.
Hingis combined with Marc Rosset at Hopman Cup VIII and IX, Ivo Heuberger at Hopman Cup XI and Federer at Hopman Cup XIII.
"Martina has said to me that she would kill to come back here, she is a given," McNamee said.
Hingis dominated the tour from 1997-99 but quit in 2007 without contesting a positive test for cocaine after proclaiming her innocence.
Were she to seriously consider Federer's offer and a Hopman return, Hingis would have to make a return to the WTA (if only in doubles), make herself available for the Swiss Fed Cup team and also become available for doping tests.
Hewitt, who has been offered a wild-card to the US Open, said he was excited about returning.
"I'm looking forward to being 100 per cent fit," Hewitt said.
"For me, the Hopman is a great start to the year."

Sassymoo
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hingis part III!!! If she comes back to doubles, she is coming back to singles. She is coming back guys!!!

Smitten
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:03 PM
:lol: @ the pressed souls who thought Legend was not coming back for their faves.

Queengis will reign again.

Sombrerero loco
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
please wingis play the hopman cup.she would win it aagain for sure!

Andy.
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM
It would be such amazing news to see Martina come back one more time.

Jeff
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
yay :bounce: :bounce:

The Witch-king
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Good to see her lining something different up.

sam.jones
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:45 PM
it's quite easy to win the cup with roger considering the other men playing, and hingis is great in doubles of course...

but so far she would really have a tough time against na li and kvitova

Rui.
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Can't you imagine Mirka giving one of her neverending chewing gums to Thibault hutin or whoever is next on hingis' line? :lol:

vozas
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Can't you imagine Mirka giving one of her neverending chewing gums to Thibault hutin or whoever is next on hingis' line? :lol:

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/iwantthefame/blackladylaughing.gif

I'm picturing it already hahaha.

Shuji Shuriken
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:56 PM
:lol: @ the pressed souls who thought Legend was not coming back for their faves.

BUT wait niece...you're one of the first people to write off Venus, but you think this bitch has a chance? Wayment sis http://imgboot.com/images/bedtimestory/kjkjh.gif

Juju Nostalgique
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:58 PM
¡Johnny, la gente está muy loca! :oh: :oh: :oh:

Drake1980
Aug 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
:eek:

tennisfan5
Aug 19th, 2011, 02:03 PM
well now--interesting. She would have to play a number of full singles matches in Hopman...

Sombrerero loco
Aug 19th, 2011, 02:09 PM
please martina, please play the hopman cup...she win it before with roger, was it in 2000 or 2001?

Smitten
Aug 19th, 2011, 02:20 PM
please martina, please play the hopman cup...she win it before with roger, was it in 2000 or 2001?

BlueTrees
Aug 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM
:eek:

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJe-_m8H1v8

Gilas.
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:19 PM
So...no direct quote from the Legend then? 'kay.
I do hope this is true.

winone23
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:08 PM
BUT wait niece...you're one of the first people to write off Venus, but you think this bitch has a chance? Wayment sis http://imgboot.com/images/bedtimestory/kjkjh.gif
:lol::lol:

barmaid
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the video clip of the Hingis/Na match...great rallies...high calibre tennis by both gals!:worship:

Barmaid:wavey:

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Good to see her lining something different up.

:haha::haha:.

danieln1
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Very, very good news, should get more attentions than some withdrawls that are happening lately :rolleyes:

cn ireland
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:19 PM
This sounds like she's at least thinking of another comeback... here's hoping!!

tennisbum79
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:44 PM
This sounds like she's at least thinking of another comeback... here's hoping!!
I think she is gearing up for the mixed doubles at the 2012 olympics

young_gunner913
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:46 PM

Like she did in her last flop flop, I mean comeback?

tennisbum79
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I see Hingis entering the the Olympics and Hopman cup as a testament to the poor shape Swiss tennis is in.

With Schnyder retirment(and troubles) there isn't really any credible female palyers from that country to play these competition.

This is like Davenport or Capriati playing for the US at these events

young_gunner913
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I see Hingis entering the the Olympics and Hopman cup as a testament to the poor shape Swiss tennis is in.

it is like Davenport or Capriati deciding to play for the US at these events

Doubt it. It's 100% Martina ego. Thankfully, someone will bring her down from that high.

Craig.
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:55 PM

Matthew :sobbing:

Sund7101
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I would love to see the two of them play again.

hingisGOAT
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:46 PM
A Hingis thread full of nothing but sour Venus fans :oh:

tennisbum79
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:52 PM
A Hingis thread full of nothing but sour Venus fans :oh:
That is false.

PLP
Aug 19th, 2011, 11:32 PM
That is false.

It's tough though because there are a few (not many :)) extremely obnoxious Hingis haterz that are intent on littering any thread about her and unfortunately they are also fans of Vee.

Anyway, I would love to see this pairing, but the Hopman Cup dude probably should have spoken to Martina about this before making it public. The quotes he gave from Martina could be a year or 2 old and she is very fickle. I wouldn't be surprised if she is over playing it again...here's 2 hoping that it happens though.

Caesar1844
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Will never forget the Hopman Cup final when she was playing with Marc Rosset against Majoli and Ivanisevic. She won her singles, he lost his, and they were 5-5 in the final set of the doubles.

Marc doublefaulted (or something) and punched the back wall. Broke his hand and they had to forfeit. :lol:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:40 AM
If Roger says no, they should ask Wawrinka to play with Martina next January.

Caesar1844
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:43 AM
With either they would probably win. Fed and Stan are both quality doubles players.

Mistress of Evil
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Legend Hingis :bowdown:

Nicolás89
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:22 AM

Bitterness doesn't suit you. :hug:

burn
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Awesome :bounce:

Sammo
Aug 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Will never forget the Hopman Cup final when she was playing with Marc Rosset against Majoli and Ivanisevic. She won her singles, he lost his, and they were 5-5 in the final set of the doubles.

Marc doublefaulted (or something) and punched the back wall. Broke his hand and they had to forfeit. :lol:

:facepalm:

Polikarpov
Aug 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM

:facepalm:

"I wish he had broken both hands." - Martina Hingis, after Marc Rosset lost the Swiss team the '96 Hopman Cup when he punched an advertising board.

Wingis.:worship:

PLP
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM
"I wish he had broken both hands." - Martina Hingis, after Marc Rosset lost the Swiss team the '96 Hopman Cup when he punched an advertising board.

Wingis.:worship:

:lol:
15 year old Martina, lol.

Ryan
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Bitterness doesn't suit you. :hug:

I think it fits him perfectly. It's all we see, anyway. ;)

SpanishSuenos
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I really want her comeback.
back Martina,please!

Martian KC
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Argh, the tourney director is asking Roger first. So no promises.

jrm
Aug 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
i'm not keen to see her so stay away :angel:

Sammo
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM
jrm's talked :bowdown: Martina don't dare to come back :o