PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Stosur get enough credit?

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:35 AM
It was pretty appalling to read some of the comments written in the thread about her beating Li. The whole fact is, that Sam has by far the best and most effective kick serve on tour. No one can serve like her now, and I daresay in history. It causes many player's fits, particularly on clay, but also on hard. Instead we see comments like "Mugsur" and "How could Li be dominated by this mug/robot" etc...

Caesar1844
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:37 AM
She's a headcase. Great shots when she's on, strong and hits hard, but not a complete player. Won't get respect til she can get it together and win slams.

And best serve in history? Come one.

Spring Pools
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Basically, she has no backhand and she isn't very consistent which annoys her fans.

M.P
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:43 AM
becoz she is lucky, with her mishit always IN and Deep

claypova
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Her serve is overrated. She has a good kick serve but that's all she can do. Once it's figured out, she has no slice serve, and an erratic flat serve. She continues to use the kick serve :shrug:

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:51 AM
She's a headcase. Great shots when she's on, strong and hits hard, but not a complete player. Won't get respect til she can get it together and win slams.

You're right about the headcase bit, but she does have a good game when on, like you also said. She's not a complete mug. I said best KICK serve.

Spring Pools
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Her serve as a package isn't terrible. I know she can't slice it, but her flat serve can hit 120 MPH + and she has a killer kick serve.
Also, her forehand, when she's on, is great. She gets enormous amounts of top spin. She has crazy wrist flexibility.

Bonfire
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:00 AM
When Sam's game is truly ON...she is a force to be reckoned with!
But she is a headcase. I love Fran but it still feels like Sam should have won FO 2010. That final is a great example of why I think so many posters discredit Sam. No matter how good she is (and I say this as a fan) you can't really trust that she can really "finish the job" so to speak.
Hoping that she can win a slam still though:bounce:

go hingis
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I think it's because when she is off she is really really off. Having been ranked high this year and not playing well has gotten her noticed but not in a good way.

Spring Pools
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I think that all that FO pressure got to her especially when she failed to deliver at the Australian Open where the crowd expected a lot.

Consigliere
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:14 AM

she's already won two slams:hearts: and she doesn't need your respect when she already has your money, everytime you fly jetstar a little bit goes in her hip pocket.:wavey:

young_gunner913
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Because she's a mediocre player who is supposed to be considered a top player or contender and that's more credit than she deserves really.

Bonfire
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Because she's a mediocre player who is supposed to be considered a top player or contender and that's more credit than she deserves really.

:facepalm:

Caesar1844
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I have to say, I never really expected her to become this good a player. Always rated Molik higher as a singles player when they were coming through the ranks, and never thought either would be top 10.

Purple_Rain
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Her serve is overrated. She has a good kick serve but that's all she can do. Once it's figured out, she has no slice serve, and an erratic flat serve. She continues to use the kick serve :shrug:

This. Kick serves aren't as useful if they're your only weapon. And having no backhand is pretty embarrassing for a top 10 player.

Kəv.
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Everyone just hates her because she has no personality :rolleyes:
Who cares if she has no personality, she is actually quite a nice girl.
As long as she can play tennis then who cares :shrug:

Brad[le]y.
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Nobody on the WTA gets credit around here :rolls:

justineheninfan
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:41 AM
She is not underrated. People calling her a mug is uncalled for, she is much better than that. However people being surprised she is such a bad matchup for Li isnt surprising, since most would agree Li is the better player, especialy on hard courts. People dont rate her as one of the very best since she really isnt. She has never won a slam and is in her late 20s now, she has some good hard court results but is mostly only a big contender on clay, and she has only briefly been in the top 5 and even top 10. Not to mention she has only 2 WTA career titles, and only 1 time past the quarters of a slam.

Her game has some very impressive strengths but some glaring holes which wont allow her to ever go higher than she is now unless she fixes them.

Consigliere
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Everyone just hates her because she has no personality :rolleyes:
Who cares if she has no personality, she is actually quite a nice girl.
As long as she can play tennis then who cares :shrug:

everybody has a personality

tim2502
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:01 AM
She is not good enough.

So Disrespectful
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:12 AM

That's because she gets far more torque on the ball than any of the other girls. When you apply so much spin, mishits are more likely to find the court.

And I don't think her serve is overrated. Several top 50 players can't even hit a kick serve full stop. :shrug:

skanky~skanketta
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:20 AM
It was pretty appalling to read some of the comments written in the thread about her beating Li. The whole fact is, that Sam has by far the best and most effective kick serve on tour. No one can serve like her now, and I daresay in history. It causes many player's fits, particularly on clay, but also on hard. Instead we see comments like "Mugsur" and "How could Li be dominated by this mug/robot" etc...
What's appalling are your comments about the Williams sisters in other threads :rolleyes:

In regards to Sam, she has a good kick serve and good topspin forehand and both only work best on clay. Her backhand is horrendous and she's not particularly a good mover either. And she's only won 2 titles, which is quite poor for a top 10 player, especially one who's been there for more than a year.

FORZA SARITA
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:20 AM
robotic game :shrug:

-Sonic-
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I think its because she doesn't win titles...

When you're top 10, you need to be winning titles, in a similar way to a #1 player in the world needs to be winning slams (think of the stick JJ, Woz, Safina etc get for their failure to do so).

In order to be at a certain level, fans expect a certain level of results.

You shouldn't be top 75 on ITF results alone. You shouldn't be Top 20 without big wins. You shouldn't be Top 10 without titles etc etc.

Sam didn't wake up until April this year, until she wins something I'll still be kinda 'meh' to her.

I want to like her as a person, as that makes me more interested in her tennis..... but unfortunately, whats there to like?

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:32 AM
What's appalling are your comments about the Williams sisters in other threads :rolleyes:

In regards to Sam, she has a good kick serve and good topspin forehand and both only work best on clay. Her backhand is horrendous and she's not particularly a good mover either. And she's only won 2 titles, which is quite poor for a top 10 player, especially one who's been there for more than a year.

The difference being - Sam is a nice person, isn't stuck up, and isn't arrogant.

furrykitten
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Watching her is like watching paint dry, I switch off 90% of the time unless shes playing someone I like

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:36 AM
She's good, but as her record in finals suggests...she can't finish the job. Her serve's impressive and the kick serve is unplayable at times.

LordByron
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:37 AM
This. Kick serves aren't as useful if they're your only weapon. And having no backhand is pretty embarrassing for a top 10 player.

Ever noticed that tape she wears on her left wrist -EVERY TIME she has practiced or played for the last ten years? Maybe a clue to the backhand's weakness and the physical limitations it has...Considering that I think she has done bloody well to get where she has.

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:39 AM
The difference being - Sam is a nice person, isn't stuck up, and isn't arrogant.

:spit: You're a joke, rimon! Really..and Stosur the best serve in history? Please! :rolls:

Stop trying too hard! Nobody becomes a great champ without being a tad bit arrogant. Stuck up against whom? Just because they don't bow down to society's rules?! :lol:

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM
:spit: You're a joke, rimon! Really..and Stosur the best serve in history? Please! :rolls:

Stop trying too hard! Nobody becomes a great champ without being a tad bit arrogant. Stuck up against whom? Just because they don't bow down to society's rules?! :lol:

1. I am not trying at all, I am just saying what I think, which is my right.
2. Margaret Court, Evonne Goolagong and Monica Seles are not arrogant.
3. I said best KICK serve. Perhaps read better next time?
4. Stuck up in that they consider themselves above/superior to others.

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:03 AM

1. You've the DUTY to NOT be annoying and posting stupid posts too,no? :shrug:
2. 3 out of how manyyyy champs? Yet you wanna single out Serena and Vee? :lol: And you AIN'T trying too hard?
And don't get me started about Court, who thinks that she's more liferight than gays and lesbians. Pleaaasseee!
3. Of course you 'phrased' it as kick-serve, ' cause otherwise you'd have lost ALL of the little credibility you have. :lol:
4. If you mean on the tennis court, well of course..they ARE superior to the rest..haven't you watched their records?! :shrug:

Off the court, you have NOTHING to back up your claim..so again stop acting stupid and give it up.
They are nice to ballboys, speak eloquently, soo..:shrug:

L'Enfant Sauvage
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Bandabou, please stop it. We've done this in circles over and over, he has no credibility and nobody takes him seriously. Why do you think the only post of the last 20 he quoted and responded to was one asking him about the WS, and not one of the five or so posts that answered his question excellently(name justineheninfan's)? Let him stay bitter, don't give him the satisfaction of having a platform to bash the sisters again.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Lamest. Excuse. Ever.

You don't know the sisters personally to even be making comments like these. Serena is plenty nice. Have you not seen her on Punkd? If it upsets you that they are champions in their own right and opinionated with the media, that's just too bad.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Bandabou, please stop it. We've done this in circles over and over, he has no credibility and nobody takes him seriously. Why do you think the only post of the last 20 he quoted and responded to was one asking him about the WS, and not one of the five or so posts that answered his question excellently(name justineheninfan's)? Let him stay bitter, don't give him the satisfaction of having a platform to bash the sisters again.Apologies. It's just that I've not said anything about his comments so far and I just couldn't take it anymore.

atennisfanid
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
She can't move and often too lazy to chase after ball

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
1. You've the DUTY to NOT be annoying and posting stupid posts too,no? :shrug:
2. 3 out of how manyyyy champs? Yet you wanna single out Serena and Vee? :lol: And you AIN'T trying too hard?
And don't get me started about Court, who thinks that she's more liferight than gays and lesbians. Pleaaasseee!
3. Of course you 'phrased' it as kick-serve, ' cause otherwise you'd have lost ALL of the little credibility you have. :lol:
4. If you mean on the tennis court, well of course..they ARE superior to the rest..haven't you watched their records?! :shrug:

Off the court, you have NOTHING to back up your claim..so again stop acting stupid and give it up.
They are nice to ballboys, speak eloquently, soo..:shrug:

1. It is still my right to freedom of speech.
2. There are probably more, those are just examples off the top of my head. No, I am not trying, just expressing my opinion.
3. Go back and read my OP. I said kick serve, not overall serve.
4. They think that they're better off the court as well. Venus is not superior to Justine, but nice try.

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Lamest. Excuse. Ever.

You don't know the sisters personally to even be making comments like these. Serena is plenty nice. Have you not seen her on Punkd? If it upsets you that they are champions in their own right and opinionated with the media, that's just too bad.

They don't upset me, I just don't like them. They block the net after each match so that they can be the first to shake the umpire's hand.

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Bandabou, please stop it. We've done this in circles over and over, he has no credibility and nobody takes him seriously. Why do you think the only post of the last 20 he quoted and responded to was one asking him about the WS, and not one of the five or so posts that answered his question excellently(name justineheninfan's)? Let him stay bitter, don't give him the satisfaction of having a platform to bash the sisters again.

I know, I know..sometimes you just get tired of fools talking crap about the sisters. :mad:

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
She is not underrated. People calling her a mug is uncalled for, she is much better than that. However people being surprised she is such a bad matchup for Li isnt surprising, since most would agree Li is the better player, especialy on hard courts. People dont rate her as one of the very best since she really isnt. She has never won a slam and is in her late 20s now, she has some good hard court results but is mostly only a big contender on clay, and she has only briefly been in the top 5 and even top 10. Not to mention she has only 2 WTA career titles, and only 1 time past the quarters of a slam.

Her game has some very impressive strengths but some glaring holes which wont allow her to ever go higher than she is now unless she fixes them.

Very good response. But it isn't surprising that she is a bad match up for Li. Li likes flat balls in her striking zone, Sam doesn't give her that.

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
1. It is still my right to freedom of speech.
2. There are probably more, those are just examples off the top of my head. No, I am not trying, just expressing my opinion.
3. Go back and read my OP. I said kick serve, not overall serve.
4. They think that they're better off the court as well. Venus is not superior to Justine, but nice try.

1. Really? Only on internet forum..because you know in the real world, you'd be running more than Maywather does in the ring. :rolleyes:
Fine, rimon...fine. I'm done with you.
If wanna insist at being a fool, posting things that don't make sense or aren't even true, then there's no use.

About point 4..how do you KNOW this for a fact? You better come up with something good.
:lol: Ah now it's about Vee and Juju, huh?! You're such a sad excuse for human being. :(:rolleyes:

GoofyDuck
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I think she's got enough credit... It's not like she achieved anything crazy .

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:14 AM
1. Really? Only on internet forum..because you know in the real world, you'd be running more than Maywather does in the ring. :rolleyes:
Fine, rimon...fine. I'm done with you.
If wanna insist at being a fool, posting things that don't make sense or aren't even true, then there's no use.

About point 4..how do you KNOW this for a fact? You better come up with something good.
:lol: Ah now it's about Vee and Juju, huh?! You're such a sad excuse for human being. :(:rolleyes:

I always speak my mind, be it on the internet or in real life. What have I even said that is not true? I can just tell, because of the net thing. It's not about Venus and Justine, but you acted as if Venus is superior to Justine.

tennisforadults
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:16 AM

Posters like you guys basically prove the OP's point. Before you start switching off because you see an Australian flag next to my username and assume I worship Sam like a goddess, I do not. And I'm not "officially" Australian.

I like Sam a lot - she's the best female player that has come out of millions of dollars spent on tennis in Australia in the last decade. But as many have pointed out, she's not a complete player.

Sam can polarise people because she has great strengths - one of the best kick serves, fierce forehand, net intuition, athleticism. And big flaws - unreliable backhand, mental collapse in finals, poor movement. You'd think with her ON game she would have won many more titles than two. It is both a point of frustration for fans and sign of weakness for haters.

She's a nice polite girl with an expressionless face (usually hidden behind scary sunnies) and a hard muscled body. Freak sake of course that's polarising as well.

At the end of the day, haters gonna hate. If she doesn't win a slam ever, she will be more commonly regarded as an underachiever.

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I always speak my mind, be it on the internet or in real life. What have I even said that is not true? I can just tell, because of the net thing. It's not about Venus and Justine, but you acted as if Venus is superior to Justine.

Because of the net thing?! :spit: If they WON a match and like to shake the umpires hands first, it's their god given right.

Are you serious?! And yet you wanna say that Court passsing JUDGEMENT on gays and lesbians doesn't think she's superior to others? Ain't stopping you from supporting her. You're just a hypocrite, rimon.

:lol: You're such a big fool, then you aren't even realising that Juju isn't an active player anymore. So of the ACTIVE players, only Serena's a superior record than Vee. :banghead:

And no in the real world? You'd have already been knocked down by the first post you made about the sisters.

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Because of the net thing?! :spit: If they WON a match and like to shake the umpires hands first, it's their god given right.

Are you serious?! And yet you wanna say that Court passsing JUDGEMENT on gays and lesbians doesn't think she's superior to others? Ain't stopping you from supporting her. You're just a hypocrite, rimon.

:lol: You're such a big fool, then you aren't even realising that Juju isn't an active player anymore. So of the ACTIVE players, only Serena's a superior record than Vee. :banghead:

And no in the real world? You'd have already been knocked down by the first post you made about the sisters.

1. And it's MY right to think that it's unclassy.
2. Yes, I don't think that it is. She believes that we are all equal.
3. Okay, fair enough, of ACTIVE players.
4. How do you know that?
5. At least you admit that you were wrong about the serve bit.

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM
1. And it's MY right to think that it's unclassy.
2. Yes, I don't think that it is. She believes that we are all equal.
3. Okay, fair enough, of ACTIVE players.
4. How do you know that?
5. At least you admit that you were wrong about the serve bit.

1. Only if they are the ONLY players to do it..otherwise you've to hate the OTHERS who do it too.
2. She doesn't believe we are all equal. Some comments made by Court:
"Court has said in the past that homosexuality is an “abomination to the Lord”. She has no regrets about saying that."
"Margaret Court state that Martina is not a good role model for young girls because she is a lesbian."
"And I'll say this, if I had a child playing tennis today I wouldn't let that child go on her own on the circuit because I think there is a wrong spirit (on the women's tour]. Young people can get snared into that world. People go into homosexuality thinking they're like that and they're actually not. I'd want to keep them on the straight and narrow."

3.Soooo, you agree that they ARE superior to every players currently playing. Good.

4. I'd have.

Dani12
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Welll...she's a pastor, they all have the same views on homosexuality. She wouldn't be a very good pastor if she didn't have those views now would she?

Pasta-Na
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Very good response. But it isn't surprising that she is a bad match up for Li. Li likes flat balls in her striking zone, Sam doesn't give her that.

yes, na said she still cant handle sammy's kick serves well. :awww: she said she'd chances to win this match if she didnt hesitate to do more "net-approaching" as her coach told her to. she starts to believe that she can beat her "owners" and will work on her serve and return games during the off-season. :p

MarkNL
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I'm a big fan of Sam, and I'm happy she's doing well again in Toronto and Cincy. Some people say she has no backhand, but I think that's just ridiculous to say. Her backhand is probably more consistent than her forehand. And if kick serves are the only things she can do, who would care? If it's good, why not use it? Besides, she's like the only player on the tour I know who uses it.

And by the way, every player deserves credit for good tennis and good results. Even if you dislike their playing style :)

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Welll...she's a pastor, they all have the same views on homosexuality. She wouldn't be a very good pastor if she didn't have those views now would she?

:lol: So pastors have the right to think that they're superior to others?!

Interesting..I guess, according to rimon, the WS would make great pastors then, no?! :lol:

Wert.
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Because of her awful backhand which is embarassing for TOP 10 and GS Runner Up,as someone said :shrug:

brickhousesupporter
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:46 AM
1. Only if they are the ONLY players to do it..otherwise you've to hate the OTHERS who do it too.
"Court has said in the past that homosexuality is an “abomination to the Lord”. She has no regrets about saying that."
"Margaret Court state that Martina is not a good role model for young girls because she is a lesbian."
"And I'll say this, if I had a child playing tennis today I wouldn't let that child go on her own on the circuit because I think there is a wrong spirit (on the women's tour]. Young people can get snared into that world. People go into homosexuality thinking they're like that and they're actually not. I'd want to keep them on the straight and narrow."

3.Soooo, you agree that they ARE superior to every players currently playing. Good.

4. I'd have.
Bandy

You must not value your time......Shouldn't you be doing something more productive than arguing with rimon......may I suggest trying to piss in a bottle.......when will you learn you cannot change an already determined mind.

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Bandy

You must not value your time......Shouldn't you be doing something more productive than arguing with rimon......may I suggest trying to piss in a bottle.......when will you learn you cannot change an already determined mind.

It's Rambo IV again...have to accept that: 'Ain't gonna change a thing...a fool can only be a fool." :sobbing:

Go ahead, rimon. :lol:

Siderophyre
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Posters like you guys basically prove the OP's point. Before you start switching off because you see an Australian flag next to my username and assume I worship Sam like a goddess, I do not. And I'm not "officially" Australian.

I like Sam a lot - she's the best female player that has come out of millions of dollars spent on tennis in Australia in the last decade. But as many have pointed out, she's not a complete player.

Sam can polarise people because she has great strengths - one of the best kick serves, fierce forehand, net intuition, athleticism. And big flaws - unreliable backhand, mental collapse in finals, poor movement. You'd think with her ON game she would have won many more titles than two. It is both a point of frustration for fans and sign of weakness for haters.

She's a nice polite girl with an expressionless face (usually hidden behind scary sunnies) and a hard muscled body. Freak sake of course that's polarising as well.

At the end of the day, haters gonna hate. If she doesn't win a slam ever, she will be more commonly regarded as an underachiever.

This post says it all.

As for people who say she doesn't deserve to be in the top ten - if she had dropped out as soon as she failed to defend her RG 2010 points I would agree. US Open will be another test in defending QF points. If she's still in the ten after that, I'd say she deserves it.

doomsday
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I seriously think that I have a better BH:oh::lol:

timafi
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I love her to fucking death and it pains me to say that she's not an ALL surface player(grass :help:);makes silly errors for a player who is an ALL court player in her inability to change things up against certain players and she's inconsistent to be honest :shrug:

AcesHigh
Aug 19th, 2011, 11:14 AM
She's an OK player... not a top one.
When she's on, her forehand and serve are ferocious. However, there's not much.. and she doesn't have the best kick serve on tour.. I give that to Serena.

Dani12
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:00 PM
:lol: So pastors have the right to think that they're superior to others?!

Interesting..I guess, according to rimon, the WS would make great pastors then, no?! :lol:

Everyone has the right to think they are superior to others, yeah...

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Everyone has the right to think they are superior to others, yeah...

You sure? ' Cause according to rimon, everybody BUT the WS has this right. What a joke. :lol:

Pops Maellard
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:46 PM
She's kind of blah. You just know exactly what she's gonna do before she does it (kick serve to the BH, run around the FH). She's like the least exciting player alive.

Sassymoo
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:54 PM
1. Stosur is a very good player. That's it. No one says she is great because she is not. She is top ten. She is a major finalist. She has only 2 titles. Her game strength's are as strong as her weaknesses are weak. She gets all the credit she deserves I believe.
2. Doesn't this forum have mods? What is with all the posts about the WS and Court? It's just not interesting to read and has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

Dani12
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
You sure? ' Cause according to rimon, everybody BUT the WS has this right. What a joke. :lol:

Why are you even acknowledging what Rimon says? :scratch: Don't let it get to you man ...not worth it.

Smitten
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
As I've said before, Stosur has a very destructive game that's capable of taking girls out of the equation at times. It's just in the wrong body with the wrong mind.

I hope she lets Craig Kardon work with her. :zzz:

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Why are you even acknowledging what Rimon says? :scratch: Don't let it get to you man ...not worth it.

Rimon who?! ;)

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:22 PM

4. I'd have.

1. If other players did this, then of course I would criticise them as well.
2. She believes that they are misguided, not inferior.
3. Yes, of course. I've never said otherwise.
4. What do you mean?

Sammo
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Because they get annoyed about a tennis player having a much better game than their favourites so when she's on thrashes them but isn't consistent.

Juju Nostalgique
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Coz she's of Polish origin, the same as Pushniacki, and that's not good in today's game... :spit: :lol:

dsanders06
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Personally, I just don't like it when players who were getting run-of-the-mill results for years suddenly break through in their late 20s. It's not the players themselves' faults, but it just looks terrible for the sport, because it indicates it's a much weaker era than a few years ago when they were treading water. The exception to this for me is Na, whose lack of success up 'til now can probably be mainly attributed to constant injuries, the fact she took a 3-year break in her early 20s and the fact she had mental issues until recently (plus the fact, even when she was an inconsistent journeywoman, she still occasionally showed flashes of her potential by scoring the occasional huge upset)... whereas, for Stosur and Schiavone, it's hard to escape the impression that they're overachievers capitalising on a weak era - again, not their faults, but it's still a symptom of a sport in a weak place, and so I want it to stop happening.

Plus, while she seems like a very nice and down-to-earth person, my favourites all have either some flair in their game or on-court intensity, and Stosur doesn't have either, which is why I just find it hard to root for her.

Simon Cowell
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I have always hated posters lecturing players on tennis. So forgive me. But I am passionate about this sport. I am equally passionate about the potential of the people playing the game. :rolleyes:

GoofyDuck
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Because they get annoyed about a tennis player having a much better game than their favourites so when she's on thrashes them but isn't consistent.

Yes, you're right. Even I don't hit so many misstimed shots in a match.

It's magic :worship:

starin
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM
because she hits with a lot of spin and:
1.) the generation of that spin is greatly helped by the new strings that she uses
2.) that same spin covers a lot of huge deficiencies in her game mainly her terrible ground strokes that she mistimes and frames constantly

her new success seems mostly a product of new technology.
She is impressive though in that she is in the best shape on tour. Something a lot of the WTA should aspire to.

SAISAI-GOAT
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:06 PM
just look at the way she is playing against Maria ... that tells you why she receive no credit :shrug:

Jane Lane
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Uhm, this match.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM
:lol:

Sombrerero loco
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
she sucks on hard court against hard hitters

Pasta-Na
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
she sucks on hard court against hard hitters

no, she always struggle against the tall girls (5 ft 10 or above). :o

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:15 PM
1. If other players did this, then of course I would criticise them as well.
2. She believes that they are misguided, not inferior.
3. Yes, of course. I've never said otherwise.
4. What do you mean?

1. Come on, rimon. That's just a dumb excuse just for you to hate on the sisters. But, if it makes you happy...:lol:
2. They're misguidedd...of courseeee! :lol: You're even more pathetic than I thought. :facepalm:
And you still haven't posted anything to back up your claims for the sisters thinking that they're superior than others off-court as well.
4. :lol: Never mind..not worth the trouble.

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
1. Come on, rimon. That's just a dumb excuse just for you to hate on the sisters. But, if it makes you happy...:lol:
2. They're misguidedd...of courseeee! :lol: You're even more pathetic than I thought. :facepalm:
And you still haven't posted anything to back up your claims for the sisters thinking that they're superior than others off-court as well.
4. :lol: Never mind..not worth the trouble.

1. No, it really irritates me. Please don't tell me what I feel.
2. That's what she thinks. I don't see how that makes me pathetic. :confused:
3. Just the way that they act, like Serena did last year at Wimbledon before the final.
4. No, come on, please do tell. Your response made absolutely no sense.

tennisbum79
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:55 PM
3. Just the way that they act, like Serena did last year at Wimbledon before the final.
Do you really think rimon has any credibility when it comes to Venus or Serena?

S/he is so blinded by her/his prejudice (not necessarily racial, I don't hide behind race card rebuttal defense) and biases that s/he losses all semblance of rational thinking when composing a post about a Williams.
A sane, rational thinking person will never finish writing that post before s/he discovers it would not up to elemental reasoning

Fuzzylogic
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Er, what? No they don't ALL have the same views actually.

danieln1
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Because "she´s a good framer".

Stonerpova
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM
She doesn't have a champion's mentality. She doesn't believe in herself. Simple as that. It's not enough to play five great matches in a season. To "get more credit" she needs to bring her best more often and in the big moments (note her abysmal finals record) and she won't do that with her current mindset.

Chim
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I have always hated posters lecturing players on tennis. So forgive me. But I am passionate about this sport. I am equally passionate about the potential of the people playing the game. :rolleyes:

just look at the way she is playing against Maria ... that tells you why she receive no credit :shrug:

Maria is not a better player....she just has the physical advantages of being taller than most of the women tennis players.

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:58 PM

1. It really irritates you, huh?! :rolls: What a fool. :facepalm:
2. You're pathetic because you dislike the WS for them allegedly thinking/acting like they're superior than others,
yet you defend Court who openly attacks her fellow gay tennis colleagues and say that they're bad influence for the
youth. :lol:
3. Refresh us again..how did Serena act like she was superior? ON the court she IS superior to every other player playing, I thought we already has settled that?!
4. No man, it's cool. :lol:

Morrissey
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I think its because she doesn't win titles...

When you're top 10, you need to be winning titles, in a similar way to a #1 player in the world needs to be winning slams (think of the stick JJ, Woz, Safina etc get for their failure to do so).

In order to be at a certain level, fans expect a certain level of results.

You shouldn't be top 75 on ITF results alone. You shouldn't be Top 20 without big wins. You shouldn't be Top 10 without titles etc etc.

Sam didn't wake up until April this year, until she wins something I'll still be kinda 'meh' to her.

I want to like her as a person, as that makes me more interested in her tennis..... but unfortunately, whats there to like?

This is the reason I can't be a fan of Stosur she only has TWO titles that's a disgrace for a top ten player and she's lost I think 9 finals including two this year.

She has YET to beat the top women such as Sharapova or Serena Williams in a final. Stosur is NOT a contender and I disagree with Pam Shriver Stosur serve is NOT all that.

Morrissey
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:19 PM
She doesn't have a champion's mentality. She doesn't believe in herself. Simple as that. It's not enough to play five great matches in a season. To "get more credit" she needs to bring her best more often and in the big moments (note her abysmal finals record) and she won't do that with her current mindset.

This is probably the most important comment on this thread and I agree 110%. Samantha is TOO NICE she is very politically correct but I think it illustrates her lack of mental toughness. She's 2-9 in WTA finals that shows she just doesn't got it for the big matches.

Monzanator
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I believe she is still considered a doubles speciallist and her singles career from the past three years is vastly overshadowed by what she has done earlier in the doubles. Plus the late bloomers always have a harder task to challenge various teenage senasations and we've had plenty of them for the past two decades or even before that. Plus, even though she's a Top 10 in singles, she has won only two WTA events. That's just not good enough to give anyone a solid credit.

Craig.
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Maria is not a better player....she just has the physical advantages of being taller than most of the women tennis players.

:spit: Okay then.

dragonflies
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:42 PM

bandabou, could you please stop feeding the troll?

It's a well known fact that rimon is a WS 's hater, and that poster won't stop to say anything, regardless how ridiculous it might sound, in order to attack the Williams sisters. Any sane intelligent posters wouldn't even bother to read his/ her posts.

The matter is posters like you keep replying to rimon and give him/her ground to exchange back and forth. It's tired and silly that a thread about Stosur changes to discussing Serena's arrogance .

It's better to stay away from the trash, since if you keep digging it up, it's gonna stink up the whole place. Get it?

justineheninfan
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Today is an example why she doesnt get more credit. She is now 0-9 vs Sharapova, and she has similar records against many of the top players. This despite that Maria is hardly at her career peak right now. While there are some top players she has had mild (but far from great) success against, Serena and an old washed up Henin, and one she has alot of success agaisnt- Li Na, overall it isnt convincing enough of her abilities to play with the top women relative to the true elite.

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Today is an example why she doesnt get more credit. She is now 0-9 vs Sharapova, and she has similar records against many of the top players. This despite that Maria is hardly at her career peak right now. While there are some top players she has had mild (but far from great) success against, Serena and an old washed up Henin, and one she has alot of success agaisnt- Li Na, overall it isnt convincing enough of her abilities to play with the top women relative to the true elite.

Bingo. And that French Open fiasco.

Chim
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:11 PM

As far as I know Stosur has pretty good H - H record against these top players :

#1 Wozniacki
#2 Zvonareva
#5 Li
#8 Schiavone
#9 Bartoli

Total 5 out of 9 so more than a half....I think her abilities are convincing enough :drool:

Stonerpova
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:23 PM
As far as I know Stosur has pretty good H - H record against these top players :

#1 Wozniacki
#2 Zvonareva
#5 Li
#8 Schiavone
#9 Bartoli

Total 5 out of 9 so more than a half....I think her abilities are convincing enough :drool:

But talent doesn't directly translate into success. If it did Kuznetsova would be #1.

DefyingGravity
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I think the reason that she gets so much shade thrown at her is the basis of her game is a kick serve and a big forehand, and literally there's nothing else to it. No finesse (to some people), no nuance (to some people), and no need for technique. Stosur's big kicker/topspin serve (I haven't ever been able to get a close view of Stosur playing, so I don't know if her serve is pure topspin or a kicker) takes so much effort and time to develop, it's such a magnificent weapon when executed well, and it (in theory) should make it so she is not double faulting a ton. Her topspin forehand too can be a great weapon when she's confident. A lot of pace and a lot of heft to it, that's perfect for someone like her. Of course her game is going to suit the red clay best, but she could also get a decent run at the USO with it, as we saw last year, and if she didn't crumble under pressure at home, get a good QF showing in Australia as well.

I think people just expect more out of their players and anyone who isn't as gifted with a variety of shots like Henin and Serena (yes, she does have more than 2 shots) and Hingis and Radwanska don't know how to play tennis well and their games are immediately trashed. Stosur's game takes so much time to develop, gain confidence, and a massive amount of technique to execute in terms of synchronizing the body. I wish she would develop a better sense of net coverage in singles, but such is life.

Excelscior
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM

Wow!

Steffi Graf's not arrogant either, but I know you couldn't bring yourself to say that, cause we know how much you don't like/respect Graf...Not! Lol

SMH

And poor reason/excuse to say nasty things about the sisters, as well.

GermanBoy
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Rimon, am I glad someone has finally asked that question. The answer is probably I don't know & no one can really answer this question.

The truth is Sam has achieved a lot in her career & I like to believe that is intending on playing for a few more years. I believe she has still got a lot to give. I said before she might not have achieved as much as she has had she been playing against the Grafs, Seles & Co of this world but tennis these days is different.

Look at the Top 10, Zvonareva, Li, Schiavone, Bartoli, do we really believe they are better players than Sam?!? Before people start, I don't want to compare Sam with them, I am just making a point that these days players reach high rankings without being that particularly brilliant.

I am a huge fan of Sam & I obviously know about the weaknesses of her game as much as the next person does. However, even though it might frustrate me from time to time as someone pointed out I will still love Sam the following day no matter what.

Rather than looking at Sam's achievements people keep harping on & on & on & on & on & on & on.... about i. e. Sam having a bad backhand, Sam being mentally fragile, Sam being 0/9 down in her head to head to Sharapova...

You can have an opponent who's style of play you don't like & cannot cope with & Sharapova is this person for Sam. Get over it!

People (not all of them obviously) on here are just pathetic, that's all!

Chim
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Rimon, am I glad someone has finally asked that question. The answer is probably I don't know & no one can really answer this question.

The truth is Sam has achieved a lot in her career & I like to believe that is intending on playing for a few more years. I believe she has still got a lot to give. I said before she might not have achieved as much as she has had she been playing against the Grafs, Seles & Co of this world but tennis these days is different.

Look at the Top 10, Zvonareva, Li, Schiavone, Bartoli, do we really believe they are better players than Sam?!? Before people start, I don't want to compare Sam with them, I am just making a point that these days players reach high rankings without being that particularly brilliant.

I am a huge fan of Sam & I obviously know about the weaknesses of her game as much as the next person does. However, even though it might frustrate me from time to time as someone pointed out I will still love Sam the following day no matter what.

Rather than looking at Sam's achievements people keep harping on & on & on & on & on & on & on.... about i. e. Sam having a bad backhand, Sam being mentally fragile, Sam being 0/9 down in her head to head to Sharapova...

You can have an opponent who's style of play you don't like & cannot cope with & Sharapova is this person for Sam. Get over it!

People (not all of them obviously) on here are just pathetic, that's all!

Thank you!!! Very well said :)

tennisbum79
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I diagree, frankly I think she is getting much more credits th she deserves.
Yes, she has had flashes of brilliance, but she does not whenti counts.
The credit she got was largely due to sporadic moments of good performance when she is serving well.

Doully
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:40 PM
There's still a few clay seasons left in her...:sobbing:.

J4m3ka
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Because of matches like today against Sharapova. Stosur is 0-9 down against Maria now yet still refuses to try something new or mix her serves up. I guess she is making the best of what she has since at this stage she seems restricted by her technique :shrug:

tennisforadults
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I seriously think that I have a better BH:oh::lol:

Please. Don't. Think. Too. Highly. Of. Yourself.

Unless you're actually a top 50 tour player in disguise. Or a man - in which case you should be ashamed of even having that thought. :o

Millions of losers watch television and think they can play better than a top 10 player. :facepalm:

vozas
Aug 19th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Did anyone see those inside out forehand fails today against Maria? She made like 4 of those! She can't do shit like that.

ZODIAC
Aug 19th, 2011, 11:52 PM
credit for what...choking
Venus and Maria own her...that kick serve doesnt work on these tall ladies.

JCTennisFan
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Because she is a headcase with a pretty good game? That backhand reminds me of Roddick... just doesnt look properly struck. Otherwise her game is pretty nice.. when she isnt melting down mentally. She really should be very proud of herself though all in all..... she was merly a good doubles player for 3/4ths her career... hardly anyone ever expected she could get into the top 10 and stay for a while, but she has. Who would of expected she would have a GS F to her name 3 years ago? I mean honestly?

dsanders06
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Because she is a headcase with a pretty good game? That backhand reminds me of Roddick... just doesnt look properly struck. Otherwise her game is pretty nice.. when she isnt melting down mentally. She really should be very proud of herself though all in all..... she was merly a good doubles player for 3/4ths her career... hardly anyone ever expected she could get into the top 10 and stay for a while, but she has. Who would of expected she would have a GS F to her name 3 years ago? I mean honestly?

Yup, agree with this - Roddick's and Stosur's backhands have always seemed similar to me purely because they just kind of look amateurish... I think it's because they move their feet around a bit too much when they hit that shot and have a kind of exaggerated follow-through, as if to try and compensate for their lack of natural power/timing on that wing.

Pasta-Na
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:38 AM

#1 Wozniacki
#2 Zvonareva
#5 Li
#8 Schiavone
#9 Bartoli

relatively short. :p

and caro needs to be more aggressive. :o

Smitten
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:44 AM
She's an OK player... not a top one.
When she's on, her forehand and serve are ferocious. However, there's not much.. and she doesn't have the best kick serve on tour.. I give that to Serena.

Serena hasn't kicked a serve, outside of once or twice on a whim, since 2000. Topspin serve does not equate to kick.

Caesar1844
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Stosur's groundstrokes aren't nearly as bad as some people here are making out. Her forehand is brutal and her backhand is solid enough.

Her problem is pretty much just her mental fragility. When she starts to lose focus then her rhythm goes and she starts framing everything. Most players' backhands fall apart in that situation because it's a more complex biomechanical action.

Her game has weaknesses but she's definitely not "all kick serve". You don't become a regular top 10/15 player with one stroke.

dsanders06
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Serena hasn't kicked a serve, outside of once or twice on a whim, since 2000. Topspin serve does not equate to kick.

Yup. Serena has a very good topspin serve, but very rarely does she hit a proper kicker that twists and curves sideways... nobody on the WTA can do that as well as Stosur. Nobody else who can do it who's active even immediately comes to mind... Henin had a decent one I suppose.

rimon
Aug 20th, 2011, 01:26 AM
1. It really irritates you, huh?! :rolls: What a fool. :facepalm:
2. You're pathetic because you dislike the WS for them allegedly thinking/acting like they're superior than others,
yet you defend Court who openly attacks her fellow gay tennis colleagues and say that they're bad influence for the
youth. :lol:
3. Refresh us again..how did Serena act like she was superior? ON the court she IS superior to every other player playing, I thought we already has settled that?!
4. No man, it's cool. :lol:

1. How does that make me a fool?
2. That's your opinion, I disagree.
3. They weren't on court at the time, and Serena had to insist on walking on first instead of Zvonareva.
4. No come on, really, what does "I'd have" mean?

rimon
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:07 AM

No one said that she's great though. Whenever she goes up against Kim, Venus or Sharapova, and a good Serena, she has no chance whatsoever. I am just saying, however, that she isn't as bad as some people say. She's in between.

justineheninfan
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:35 AM
No one said that she's great though. Whenever she goes up against Kim, Venus or Sharapova, and a good Serena, she has no chance whatsoever. I am just saying, however, that she isn't as bad as some people say. She's in between.

I agree. She is a dangerous pretty good player who has pulled herself up into a bit contender role amongst the WTA top 10/top 15, and is arguably a somewhat strong contender (but not true favorite) on clay. That is how she should be rated.

bandabou
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:28 AM
1. How does that make me a fool?
2. That's your opinion, I disagree.
3. They weren't on court at the time, and Serena had to insist on walking on first instead of Zvonareva.
4. No come on, really, what does "I'd have" mean?

2. What's my opinion? It's a fact..those are Court's own words.
3. :lol: So now they aren't allowed to walk on court first and can't shake the umpire's hand first?! :lol:

Anyways man..I'm done with you. You're just a pathetic sad hypocrite. Just go away! :fiery:

rimon
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:41 AM
2. What's my opinion? It's a fact..those are Court's own words.
3. :lol: So now they aren't allowed to walk on court first and can't shake the umpire's hand first?! :lol:

Anyways man..I'm done with you. You're just a pathetic sad hypocrite. Just go away! :fiery:

She never said that she is superior. I never said that they weren't allowed to, simply that I don't like them because of it. Twisting my words again. No, I am not a hypocrite, and if you don't want to respond to my threads, no one's making you. :wavey:

claypova
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM
this thread goes from Stosur to Court hating gays :facepalm:

Mike81
Aug 20th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Because she failed to beat Schiavone in 2010 French Open and that's the only slam she looked capable of winning? :help:

GermanBoy
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Because she failed to beat Schiavone in 2010 French Open and that's the only slam she looked capable of winning? :help:

Oh yeah, I forgot Schiavone is a brilliant grass court player & is absolutely useless on clay... How could Sam lose that final?!? :help: :rolleyes:

Ciarán
Aug 20th, 2011, 06:24 PM
She's the most BORING player ever! I can't make it to the end of any of her matches. She's dull with no personality, has the most disgusting, ineffective bh in tennis (alongside Ivanonic) and she literally plays like a man. How does anyone find huge serve after huge serve and points less than 5 strokes long interesting? She's also super slow and her movement is shocking. I can't believe she got to top 5, seriously. She also has the most disgusting defeatist attitude ever! There is no fight in her, she literally just lies down to big names or anyone who gives her any sort of fight lmao. There's nothing to like, which is why her only fans are Australian :lol:

vozas
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8659/ririo.gif

Biggest choke in tennis history :help:

bandabou
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:47 PM
She never said that she is superior. I never said that they weren't allowed to, simply that I don't like them because of it. Twisting my words again. No, I am not a hypocrite, and if you don't want to respond to my threads, no one's making you. :wavey:

And still I'm waiting for you to give evidence for the sisters thinking that they are superior off the court?! I'm waiting rimon.

You ARE a hypocrite..because you aren't man enough to say you dislike just for disliking. No, you have to go and invent reasons for disliking. 'They think they're superior.., blah blah'. What a sad person. Totally a joke! :lol:

Sammo
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:48 PM
relatively short. :p

and caro needs to be more aggressive. :o

:spit:

leads #2 Zvonareva 7-2, last defeat was in Wimbledon 2004
leads #5 Li 4-0
leads #8 Schiavone 6-3

and is 2-2 with #9 Bartoli

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 20th, 2011, 08:28 PM
:spit:

leads #2 Zvonareva 7-2, last defeat was in Wimbledon 2004
leads #5 Li 4-0
leads #8 Schiavone 6-3

and is 2-2 with #9 Bartoli

so she leads all the headcases....brilliant

edificio
Aug 20th, 2011, 08:34 PM
People should be just less disrespectful perhaps, but I am wondering how much credit should she get, OP? She definitely seems to be ranked a little higher than one might think, considering her game and mindset.

Caesar1844
Aug 20th, 2011, 11:00 PM
How does anyone find huge serve after huge serve and points less than 5 strokes long interesting?
I would rather have a short point with well-executed strokes than a long point with a lot of pushing. Long rallies are one of the most overrated things about tennis.

Sammo
Aug 20th, 2011, 11:01 PM
so she leads all the headcases....brilliant

Considering she's a bigger headcase than them, it is.

Ciarán
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:39 AM
I would rather have a short point with well-executed strokes than a long point with a lot of pushing. Long rallies are one of the most overrated things about tennis.

Well-executed strokes? :lol: Have you seen Samantha's backhand? :spit: I didn't say they had to be long rallies, nor did I mention the term 'pushing'. There can be competitive aggressive points that last more than 5 strokes you know? :spit:. That last sentence is just ridiculous.

Caesar1844
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:44 AM
You said that you can't see how anyone can find points less than 5 strokes interesting.

Muppets like you who think that long rallies are automatically good tennis (and short points automatically aren't) are why we've been subjected to slowing courts and heavier balls on every surface in the last 10 years, to the point where grass plays like clay, everybody bashes away from the back of the court and coming to the net is suicide.

I bet you loved the 61-shot pushfest between Monfils and Simon at Hamburg a couple of months ago.

Ciarán
Aug 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM
You said that you can't see how anyone can find points less than 5 strokes interesting.

Muppets like you who think that long rallies are automatically good tennis (and short points automatically aren't) are why we've been subjected to slowing courts and heavier balls on every surface in the last 10 years, to the point where grass plays like clay, everybody bashes away from the back of the court and coming to the net is suicide.

I bet you loved the 61-shot pushfest between Monfils and Simon at Hamburg a couple of months ago.

I didn't say that either :lol: What I mean is Sam hits a big serve/forces an error/or then makes the error, to me (and anyone with a fucking brain) that is BORING. Don't give me shit about approaching the net, as though Sam actually does or can do it :lol:. With her defeatist attitude she actually cannot volley on a singles court, even though she is an accomplished doubles player. What the fuck is up with that? :haha: Oh course I enjoyed that rally, I am a Monfils fan.

Caesar1844
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:17 AM
I don't like Stosur, I'm just pointing out how idiotic it is to claim she's boring because her rallies are short. Only morons judge the quality of an exchange in tennis on its length.

No wonder you like Mugfils. Pusher extraordinaire.

Helen Lawson
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM
I wish someone would explain what a mug is, and provide some examples.

Ciarán
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM
I don't like Stosur, I'm just pointing out how idiotic it is to claim she's boring because her rallies are short. Only morons judge the quality of an exchange in tennis on its length.

No wonder you like Mugfils. Pusher extraordinaire.

And I am pointing out how idiotic it is to claim she's exciting because her rallies are short. Only morons judge the quality of an exchange in tennis on its length.

So many pushers in my sig :hearts:

Ciarán
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM
I wish someone would explain what a mug is, and provide some examples.

Hey gorl, apparently Monfils is one of these xx

A mug is a sturdily built type of cup often used for drinking hot beverages, such as coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Mugs, by definition, have handles and often hold a larger amount of fluid than other types of cup.

http://www.designamug.co.uk/img/product/large/porcelain-mug.jpg

Helen Lawson
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hey gorl, apparently Monfils is one of these xx

A mug is a sturdily built type of cup often used for drinking hot beverages, such as coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Mugs, by definition, have handles and often hold a larger amount of fluid than other types of cup.

http://www.designamug.co.uk/img/product/large/porcelain-mug.jpg

LMAO!

I have a soft spot for Sammy, have seen her many times. She's a very hard worker who I do think is giving it her all and then some. She is obviously not hall of fane material, but hard to knock a girl who tries when IMO, that's not that common these days.

Great photo of Myskina on the horse, haven't seen that in years!

Caesar1844
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
And I am pointing out how idiotic it is to claim she's exciting because her rallies are short.
Except I didn't claim that. I merely pointed out that it was moronic of you to claim she's not interesting by referring to the shortness of her rallies.

Reading. It's fundamental. :yeah:

Yoncé
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM
She's the most BORING player ever! I can't make it to the end of any of her matches. She's dull with no personality, has the most disgusting, ineffective bh in tennis (alongside Ivanonic) and she literally plays like a man. How does anyone find huge serve after huge serve and points less than 5 strokes long interesting? She's also super slow and her movement is shocking. I can't believe she got to top 5, seriously. She also has the most disgusting defeatist attitude ever! There is no fight in her, she literally just lies down to big names or anyone who gives her any sort of fight lmao. There's nothing to like, which is why her only fans are Australian :lol:

:worship:

Yoncé
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:35 PM
I diagree, frankly I think she is getting much more credits th she deserves.
Yes, she has had flashes of brilliance, but she does not whenti counts.
The credit she got was largely due to sporadic moments of good performance when she is serving well.

This.

Its true she does, and people outside of Australia wont realise how ridiculously over hyped she is. She get way way way way to much credit, most of the Australian media speak as if she is Steffi Graf.

tennisvideos
Aug 21st, 2011, 01:26 PM
So many nasty negative people on these boards. Don't forget, you get back what you put out - literally. :lol:

As for Sam ... I don't think she is overhyped in Australia. The media and fans here are just desperate for any success ... after all, we are a tennis loving nation that has a great history in the sport. We were spoilt with our dominance of the sport in the 60s and early 70s but not much since then really - so we it is natural that the media highlight anyone who does reasonably well.

goldenlox
Aug 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
So many nasty negative people on these boards. Don't forget, you get back what you put out - literally. :lol:

...The condescending hatred is a part of this message board.
Stosur is a very good player, not Hall of Fame, but very solid, 5-15 area, maybe top 5 on clay when she's on.
She overcame a lot, but a lot of this sport is mental & she hasnt really played her best at the biggest moments so far. Besides Charleston final & run to FO final.

The Witch-king
Aug 21st, 2011, 02:03 PM
She may not be the greatest out there but I always enjoy watching her.

Helen Lawson
Aug 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM
Can anyone tl me about her current coaching situation or het people, the last I saw her was probably 5-6 years ago and she had a lot of people around her?

goat
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:33 PM
This.

Its true she does, and people outside of Australia wont realise how ridiculously over hyped she is. She get way way way way to much credit, most of the Australian media speak as if she is Steffi Graf.

Hardly, the amount of time and energy Australian media put into women's sport is quite limited. The brief stints on television I see of her + the articles which are always partnered with other tennis players results hardly scream adoring fans. Yeah, ambitious... australian media is reknown for that - hyperbolising any opportunity an Australian athlete has but it is not limited to Sam Stosur, I'm pretty sure every team, athlete or competitor of any sport that is involved in some international level competition representing Australia is going to get a fully fledged you can win because we're delirious attitude.

I think it can be frustrating for fans because she can play like a bitch on one day or play like the bitch on the next. People find inconsistency irritating?

BluSthil
Aug 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM
Because she is wildly inconsistent in big matches !!!

@little levity
Aug 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Very few people like her. They find her dull, repetitive and boring. (I think that's why I relate to her) She the one at school, you know, when the two teams are getting picked and it comes down to the last one, and it means that one team will have a extra player advantage, but neither team wants her, she's that girl. Gawd help her!