PDA

View Full Version : Ann Jones and Virginia Wade- the best commentators in tennis

justineheninfan
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Everytime I am able to see footage of a match at Wimbledon over the years covered by either of or both Jones and Wade I am highly impressed with their work. They stick to actual tennis rather than drifting off into the idle chitter chatter that Navratilova, King, Evert, McEnroe, Austin, Carillo, Shriver, and virtually all others do. They are fair and objective to the players and rate them accurately relative to their own abilities and form, without being impacted by the biases and agendas nearly all these others seem to be to varying degrees.

Jones has also done alot of commentary for U.S networks in the 70s and 80s, while Wade has been all over the place working for both U.S networks up through into the 90s, and even the Canadian coverage of the Canadian Open in the 90s.

alfajeffster
Sep 1st, 2011, 10:42 PM
Everytime I am able to see footage of a match at Wimbledon over the years covered by either of or both Jones and Wade I am highly impressed with their work. They stick to actual tennis rather than drifting off into the idle chitter chatter that Navratilova, King, Evert, McEnroe, Austin, Carillo, Shriver, and virtually all others do. They are fair and objective to the players and rate them accurately relative to their own abilities and form, without being impacted by the biases and agendas nearly all these others seem to be to varying degrees.

Jones has also done alot of commentary for U.S networks in the 70s and 80s, while Wade has been all over the place working for both U.S networks up through into the 90s, and even the Canadian coverage of the Canadian Open in the 90s.

I just discovered this thread, and couldn't agree more. Ann Jones and I believe it was Dan Maskell commented on the BBC version of the 1970 Ladies' Singles Final, and it was so nice to hear insightful words mixed with absolute silence during play. I really felt part of the measure of the play as it changed back and forth- it's how tennis commentary should be. I'll never forget Ann's comment during the Evert/Eisel match at the USO, when Chris hit a perfect drop shot winner, "Chrissie hit that as though se were throwing a rock at a snake"!:lol: