PDA

View Full Version : Evie gets Aussie Open wild-card

bluepastures
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Obviously a lot of this will be repeating things already posted but....

Here's a report from Tennis Australia:

"With her ranking sitting at No.224 in the world and desperately searching for a big singles win this year, Newcastle's Rachel McQuillan (right) trounced the field at the Uncle Tobys International in Dalby, Queensland. Knocking off No.2 seed Cindy Watson in the quarterfinals 64 64, the supremely fit McQuillan defeated young local dynamo Samantha Stosur in the semis 62 64 and No.4 seed Evie Dominikovic in the final 64 67(3) 75.

Dominikovic (left) won the $US25,000 Challenger the previous week in Rockhampton, while the first leg of the Qld challenger in Mackay was taken by South African Chanelle Scheepers. McQuillan has performed consistently over the past three weeks, reaching the semis at Rockhampton, where she lost to Dominikovic.

However, it was Dominikovic who earned the wildcard into the main draw of Australian Open 2003, having won 39 points to McQuillan's 37 over the past three weeks. A second wildcard will be awarded to the highest placed Australian player over the three South Australian $US25,000 Challenger events in Port Pirie (November 11), Nurioopta (November 18) and Mt Gambier (November 25).

"Evie can be justifiably pleased with her performances on the QLD leg of the Uncle Tobys Challenger events," noted Tennis Australia's head of women's tennis, Dr Janet Young.

"She has been working hard on her fitness and this was a contributing factor in her fine performances in the heat at Rockhampton and Dalby. It has not easy for Evie to come back to the QLD Challengers after previously performing so well at these events. Everyone was out to beat her as one of the top seeds in all three events. To her credit Evie was determined to play well and, in doing so, has secured a wildcard into the 2003 AO. Last week in Dalby Evie told me she has set herself the goal of getting down again to 60 (in the rankings) in 2003. She is now well on the way!"

rusty_red_head
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:45 AM
I think it's great that Evie got I WC But I hope she can win a couple more of these chanellgers to get her game back and so she doesn't need a WC.

I wacthed her play at Dalby in the final and I think she was tried or injured as her serve was not as good as it usally is. Do you know why??

I also wacthed sam stosur and I hope she gets a WC becuase she is a really got play. What do you think??

bluepastures
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Well, when I saw her at Eastbourne in June, her serve didn't seem as consistent as last year. I'd be surprised if Evie's that tired as she played 22 tournaments in the last 12 months, which isn't that many (the same as Pratt and Molik, but 11 less than Dittmann, for example!)
How many WCs are there left to award in the main draw now? Obviously she'll get one into the qualifiers, if necessary, won't she?

TS
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:18 AM
Thanks for posting this :)

Hopefully Evie can get in the main draw with her own ranking (another $25K title and some other good performances may seal it) so that a spot can become free for another player.

Im quite positive Sam will get a MD wildcard. We usually always have a teenage representative in the main draw and she is arguably the best one at this stage and she seems to be getting her form back. So Im quite certain she will get one.

SM
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:43 AM
thanks for the article

evies serve was great in training at wollongong dyring fed cup, but fell apart in her matches. im sure its just mental if she hasnt served that well lately, and once she finishes these challengers with continued success;) im sure it will start to improve.

evie's got a big serve and forehand when she wants to hit them ;)...i just think she needs some more solid play like this to get that groooooooooooooooooove back

:bounce: