justineheninfan
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Maria as always.

goldenlox
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Sam is in good form now, if not this week, maybe never

Monzanator
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah, even Alona beat Jankovic once and dare I say Hantuchova likewise with Venus ;) The problem is, Stosur's serve won't hurt Maria at all and she must rely on some serious Poova making her entrance.

swissmr
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Stosur has been playing really well this week but normally becomes a headcase against Maria so I'm unsure but hopefully Martha will take it.

vozas
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Stosur's forehand disappears against Maria. She can't handle Maria's power off that wing, has no time to set the FH up and puts too much on it. The kick serve is useless against someone as tall as Sharapova too.

Routine win for Maria in 2.

Fighterpova
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Sam is playing very well. Maria will have to be more consistent on her own serve if she wants to win this one.
I think her mental advantage over Stosur will help her. I predict a 6-4 3-6 6-3 win for Maria :)

GL :yeah:

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Interesting how different Maria's odds would've been if Na had beaten Stosur... Na beat Maria the last time they played on Na's worst surface, whereas Maria beat Stosur pretty easily the last time they played on Stosur's BEST surface.

This should be Maria in 2. Stosur might push her into a tiebreak in one of the sets if she's lucky.

MaruSharapova
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I think Sam benefited from the mental advantage she had over Li Na today, and Maria will do the same against her.

Maria in two

Sammo
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:51 PM
:oh:

Stosur still defeated Li :oh:

Mistress of Evil
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Maria, please, make it 9-0 :awww:

atominside
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Maria's the favourite if she plays decent tennis but she could just NOT show up tomorrow.

Serenita
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:54 PM
:oh:

:lol:

doooma6816
Sa is playing well finally...but she's useless against Masha...
asha don't you dare lose that match!

vozas
Interesting how different Maria's odds would've been if Na had beaten Stosur... Na beat Maria the last time they played on Na's worst surface

Clay is Na's worst surface?

http://i55.tinypic.com/2vvvwg4.jpg

Fighterpova
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Clay is Na's worst surface?

http://i55.tinypic.com/2vvvwg4.jpg

I agree with you. Clay isn't het worst surface, it's her best surface. If you look at her results- SF in Madrid and Rome and a win in the French Open.
She is so inconsistent on US hard and grass :tape:

atominside
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I agree with you. Clay isn't het worst surface, it's her best surface. If you look at her results- SF in Madrid and Rome and a win in the French Open.
She is so inconsistent on US hard and grass :tape:

Yet she beat maria twice in birmingham on grass :sad:

Break My Rapture
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Li's best surface is still grass IMO. Clay comes in second, but she has always been pretty inconsistent on the US hardcourts. Sorry for going off-topic.

Noctis
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:05 PM

Na is not Maria.duh.

Serenita
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Interesting how different Maria's odds would've been if Na had beaten Stosur... Na beat Maria the last time they played on Na's worst surface, whereas Maria beat Stosur pretty easily the last time they played on Stosur's BEST surface.

This should be Maria in 2. Stosur might push her into a tiebreak in one of the sets if she's lucky.

How is clay Na's worst surface?

vozas
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Li's best surface is still grass IMO. Clay comes in second, but she has always been pretty inconsistent on the US hardcourts. Sorry for going off-topic.

Really? She's not that great a volleyer and her groundies are much more spun nowadays than before. Plus she has a forehand game, which is amplified on clay where she has more time to set it up.

Siderophyre
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Sharapova's play was brilliant today. If she's at that level tomorrow Sam will be annihilated... :tears:

GeeTee
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Hopefully Sam breaks her duck..

..or Maria receives a late wedding invitation..

L'Enfant Sauvage
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Beat the pulp out of Sam.

Break My Rapture
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Really? She's not that great a volleyer and her groundies are much more spun nowadays than before. Plus she has a forehand game, which is amplified on clay where she has more time to set it up.
She moves really well + her serve has generally improved a lot + her groundstrokes are able to redirect flawlessly precise no matter how much pace the shot has. You need perfect first strike tennis to beat Li on grass nowadays, whereas I still think you can (easily) outfox her on clay + when you don't feed pace to her (e.g. Stosur's topspin strokes and serves) she drowns in her own errors. The grasscourts give Na more pace than usual to work with.

But actually, the slow hardcourts are her best surface. Completely forgot about that, my bad. I'd put grass second and clay 3rd then.

:topic:

atominside
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Na is an all-court player really. There isnt really a surface that she plays bad on . Back to the Sharapova/Stosur match guys.

cn ireland
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Maria in 3!

Break My Rapture
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Na is an all-court player really. There isnt really a surface that she plays bad on. Back to the Sharapova/Stosur match guys.
Agree, but everything relevant about this match-up has pretty much already been said. :lol:

ReboundAce
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM
You don't think that actually Sam is winning another match don't you ? C'mon she has played in the final last week and had a 3 setter yesterday so ...in what universe will Sam win ? Masha in two 6-2 6-3

18majors
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Maria.

faboozadoo15
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Sam must be feeling it a bit after a tough 3 setter and a final last week, and that certainly won't help her against someone she's 0-8 against.

Maria playing against Sveta is near perfect preparation too.

Maria should win in 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's hard fought.

SAISAI-GOAT
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:57 PM
there is a 1st time for everything :bigwave:

Mrs. Peel
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Maria. Stosur folds quicker than a lawn chair against her. :rolleyes:

Sombrerero loco
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:25 PM
masha owns sam, so sharapova

tennis-insomniac
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Can't they both win :sad:

I think Maria will win this but I won't be surprised if Sam makes an upset

gc-spurs
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Maria. Stosur folds quicker than a lawn chair against her. :rolleyes:

She folds like a cheap hooker who got punched in the stomach by a fat guy (Joey Tribbiani, 1994).

Keadz
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:59 PM
:bigcry:

I hate this match up. Sam could be playing the best tennis of her life, but once she steps onto the court against Maria any kind of form seems to go down the drain.

Should be a good little shit fest. Hopefully Sam avoids Serena, Maria, Venus and Sharapova in the US Open draw (also Azarenka and Kvitova :lol:)

dsanders06
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:04 AM
How is clay Na's worst surface?

Because she herself has said it is, and because she'd never even won a single title on clay before RG this year :shrug:

Grass is the surface where she has by far the most potential imo.

SilverPersian
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:27 AM
:bigcry:

I hate this match up. Sam could be playing the best tennis of her life, but once she steps onto the court against Maria any kind of form seems to go down the drain.

Should be a good little shit fest. Hopefully Sam avoids Serena, Maria, Venus and Sharapova in the US Open draw (also Azarenka and Kvitova :lol:)

Also Pennetta.

Tennis Observer
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:42 AM
there is a 1st time for everything :bigwave:
Good point, but It's a Long Way to Tipperary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Long_Way_to_Tipperary)!

Odds (http://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/womens-tour/wta-cincinnati/samantha-stosur-v-maria-sharapova/winner): Maria Sharapova 8/15; Samantha Stosur 7/4.
H2H: 8:0 (http://www.wtatennis.com/headtohead/maria-sharapova_2255881_9499/0,,12781~9499~7941,00.html)

Masha (in two).

Huntress55
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Id love to see Sam keep winning, but its Maria... It'd be great if she could somehow push it to 3 but unless Masha is playing horribly I think she'll win this in 2.

Bonfire
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Maybe tomorrow will be Sam's DAY?!:aparty:

rimon
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:42 AM
It's hard to go past Maria. She's a terrible match up for Stosur. Of the 17 sets they've played, she's lost 16.

Maria rocks
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Maria in 2 easy sets if she played how she did yesterday. Although Stosur does have a much better serve than Svetlana so it may not be as easy as yesterday. We shall see... COME ON MARIA!! XX

Moo_21
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Sharapova in 2 sets... can't see Stosur having much of a chance with the head-to-head record and the way Sharapova played yesterday

MarkNL
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Well I hope for Sam, but the past doesn't lie. 8 losses in 8 matches. Maybe she can push Maria a bit further than last time. Still I think Maria will win, but I don't hope so. :)

vozas
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:53 PM
It's not just about the past. It is a horrible match up for Sam:

- Her spin is useless against someone as tall as Maria
- Maria hits way too flat, and on a court as quick as this, Sam has no time to set up the forehand
- Stosur always tries shortening the point with a big forehand against Maria, usually mistiming or putting too much on it, going into an error spree
- Maria's CC backhand is deadly on its own; against a shitty backhand like Stosur's it's really DOA

I actually see Maria steamrolling with a score like 6-2 6-1

Daan
Aug 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Masha. :drool:

ReboundAce
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:21 PM
You don't think that actually Sam is winning another match don't you ? C'mon she has played in the final last week and had a 3 setter yesterday so ...in what universe will Sam win ? Masha in two 6-2 6-3

damn i was close ;)