View Full Version : Cincinnati R3: Maria Sharapova b. Svetlana Kuznetsova 62 63

joăo.
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Just keep it up Masha.
Sveta :hug:

VishaalMaria
Svetlana was awful!

Maria seems to like the courts in Cincinnati.

s_j
MUCH better! Keep up the form!

Jane Lane
Sveta that was comically bad.

SwingVolley93
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:41 PM
What a shit match... :facepalm:

Vee Williams
Never in doubt. Hope she takes advantage of Serena's withdrawal and wins the whole thing. Samantha will not be a hurdle either.

Brad[le]y.
Sveta :(

Well good stuff from Masha despite the DFs :)

vozas
Routine win. Take the title now.

tennisbum79
Both players seem rusty. spotty match

I guess a win is a win

John.
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Sveta - Just awful :o

Maria looked pretty good though

doooma6816
Good match from Masha compared to STnaford and Toronto.
QF:yeah:....win the title!

Vincey!
Good win for Maria! :D Sveta didn't play well tho, but Maria was playing much better than last week ;) If it was not from those last 2 services games, that match would have been really promisin. Still happy she won with ease :yeah:

Break My Rapture
Good enough from Maria, pretty satisfied. I thought she and Sveta became good friends, cold handshake. :awww:

Cincy courts suit Maria the best of all hardcourts out there at the moment IMO.

Best Maria has returned throughout the year and Kuznetsova seems to have regressed to being a pusher nowadays.

dsanders06
Now that IS what I'm here for :bounce:

Best match since Wimbledon by FAR. Awesome returning, decent movement, decent serving ( :eek: ), and most importantly, mentally MUCH more focussed than her recent efforts. A bit scrappy towards the end, but still a very nice scoreline.

Now please just beat your punchbag in the next round, then whatever happens after that this has been a decent tournament :D

Adal
Great at times, bad at times.. pretty inconsistent overall. Same about the serve.

VishaalMaria

I guess a win is a win

Only on serve.

Maria was killing her with those returns and rightly so if Svetlana thinks she can get away with crap serving.

Lennval
:yeah:

cowsonice
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:43 PM
The returns off of Sveta's serve :drool:

pedropt
Maria playing like a boss, return was on fire :hearts:

Sveta was bad, she needs to get her shit together :hug: :awww:

swissmr
Svetlana didn't really do anything, but Maria was pretty good. Returns especially were awesome. :yeah:

doomsday
still mad about losing the serve twice in the second set but Kuz returned pretty well. Anyway nice win, beautiful return of serves Kuz was outplayed :hearts: now win the title.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Maria-Stosur next :drool:.

Galang
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Maria played pretty well. Good, solid win

doomsday
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Great at times, bad at times.. pretty inconsistent overall. Same about the serve.

Always complaining :o

TheBoiledEgg
Masha ;) :bigclap: :) that was good apart from the serving out match game

Sveta :hug: needs to find new brain cells and motivation

Serenita
Is she now back?

gc-spurs
Returning like a bawsss.

HuHu
http://i55.tinypic.com/2mwezox.jpg

Fighterpova
Solid performance. A bit of a hiccup after 6-2 4-1, but its okay, much better than in Stanford and Toronto :hug:

GL in the QF :yeah: Match by match, just stay focused :)

Michael!
Horrible, Svetlana :hysteric:
No footwork, no serve, nothing, what happened to you, disgusting result :facepalm:

Chim
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Kuzzy just.....:facepalm:

Stosur is in big trouble:help:

Adal
That's what Maria's game is these days.. inconsistent.

Might also be the reason she's only won 2 big titles in the last 3 years.

slamchamp
MUCH better..best match since wimbledon

goldenlox
Sveta looked like the Halep loss. She is way off form, and looks slow.
Maria dominated, and was going to have to gift this match to Sveta to lose it

Vikapower
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Nice display Maria, much more satisfying.

doomsday
Is she now back?

Go away.

Sasja
Nice win for Maria :)

QF against Sam :cheer:

MaruSharapova
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Well done :yeah:

améliemomo
Sveta Kuznetsova is the shadow of herself these days. She was not that far from sharapova in that match.

But the latter believe in herself more.:shrug:

tennisfan5
some of Maria's returns were:lick::eek::worship:

doomsday
That's what Maria's game is these days.. inconsistent.

Might also be the reason she's only won 2 big titles in the last 3 years.

She might win the title this year if she keep it up and it's gonna be 2 BIG titles in 1 year, pretty good if you ask me.

madmax
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Maria didn't seem like she wanted to be there today, yet played a decent match and cracked some amazing return winners like usual:bowdown: Sveta was her usual sucky self, pushing the ball most of the time and dumping groundies into the net. Maria is winning this unless some huge winds decide to visit Cincy soon

Serenita
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Go away.

:wavey:

This is the GM i can post in any thread i want.
Anyway's is she BACK>>>:confused:

Break My Rapture
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Some people try to think in the long run and don't like to go with the "a win is a win" line over and over again. Well that's how I think as of late anyway.

DS.Fan.
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM
the score is bad!congrats to Maria!

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:52 PM
:wavey:

This is the GM i can post in any thread i want.
Anyway's is she BACK>>>:confused:

She's been back since 2009. But stop causing trouble.

Monzanator
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I expected a tougher match for Maria. Kuznetsova was always that kind of player who caused Maria a lot of trouble. Punchbag coming up next as a reward :lol:

BluSthil
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Svetlana's best days are behind her. She was oh so average today...

Bayo
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:54 PM
She was adorable in the post-match interview.

Monica_Rules
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Well Done Maria

mykarma
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Svetlana was awful!

Maria seems to like the courts in Cincinnati.
What's happened to her, she was awful?

Mistress of Evil
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Really happy with Maria's game :D looked very sharp and the serve was decent, too :yeah:
Now should routinely beat her biatch, Stosur :oh:

Feyd
Oh boy, Svetlana :facepalm: Did you forget how to play tennis?

Maria was pretty solid :bounce: apart from that DFs :o. Win it all gurl!

Serenita
She's been back since 2009. But stop causing trouble.
I'm not talking about 2009 i mean the real " comeback". You know the one where she's BACK. :angel:

doomsday
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Some people try to think in the long run and don't like to go with the "a win is a win" line over and over again. Well that's how I think as of late anyway.

And what are you trying to say exactly? I'm well aware of Maria's issues I stated them earlier it's just that Adal has never sth positive to say.:eek:

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:59 PM
What's happened to her, she was awful?

I think she just has no confidence. She was doing her desperate grunt or yell and the ball was just being dumped into the net or going beyond the baseline. In the last few games, she was too careful and hitting the ball down the middle of the court and was still making mistakes.

DefyingGravity
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Maria could have stayed in her hotel room :haha:

Svetlana, that was awful.:rolleyes::tape::help:

Maria :yeah::D:drive:

If you don't win this tournament Maria, there's something wrong with you. Your draw couldn't have become more perfect.

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Sveta, what the hell was that? :yawn:

Good luck tommorrow, Sam.

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Sveta :shrug:

mykarma
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Maria could have stayed in her hotel room :haha:

Svetlana, that was awful.:rolleyes::tape::help:

Maria :yeah::D:drive:

If you don't win this tournament Maria, there's something wrong with you. Your draw couldn't have become more perfect.
Actually Maria generally gets a pretty good draw unless of course she happens to land in the same draw as Serena.

justineheninfan
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Kuznetzova is done. Will retire at the end of 2012 at the latest IMO.

Maria was decent today. Still needs alot of work on that serve and still can play alot better. Still if she avoids Serena she is a real threat at the Open this year.

Ciarán
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:09 PM

I guess a win is a win

Rusty? Muda fucka, are you serious? Did you see those fucking returns? :lol:

I can't believe some posters here lmao, Maria played amazing.

Monzanator
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Actually Maria generally gets a pretty good draw unless of course she happens to land in the same draw as Serena.

Azarenka and Li Na have been equally torrid for Maria lately because they can hit the ball as hard as she does plus they make less UE & their serve is in much better shape :wavey:

madmax
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Maria still had more unforced errors than winners, so she has plenty of room to improve here too. It's just that no one else seems to be playing even at a decent level to trouble her here, so unless she completely implodes (which usually happens when wind is messing up with her serve) this is her tourney to lose. It's also a good slap to the face to those, who are saying that hardcourts are her worst suface nowadays:wavey:

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Maria didn't seem like she wanted to be there today, yet played a decent match and cracked some amazing return winners like usual:bowdown: Sveta was her usual sucky self, pushing the ball most of the time and dumping groundies into the net. Maria is winning this unless some huge winds decide to visit Cincy soon

your usual disclaimer before any loss comes :lol:

anyway...martha played good enough...but sveta had absolutely NOTHING on her shots for the most part :help: shell of her former self sadly

doomsday
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Azarenka and Li Na have been equally torrid for Maria lately because they can hit the ball as hard as she does plus they make less UE & their serve is in much better shape :wavey:

Azarenka hitting as hard as Maria, is that a joke?:lol: She is much more consistent off the ground lately same goes with her ROS but she is not hitting as hard as Maria. Azarenka does everything less explosive but more consistent IMO did you watch some of Maria's returns today :hearts: Azarenka can't hit like that.

edificio
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I think Masha played really well. Best she's played in a while. Sveta seems to lack motivation, but she still had some great shots. However, you have to put it all together. Come on, Sveta, get serious again.

doomsday
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Kuznetzova is done. Will retire at the end of 2012 at the latest IMO.

Maria was decent today. Still needs alot of work on that serve and still can play alot better. Still if she avoids Serena she is a real threat at the Open this year.

She is still pretty young and considering that the field is not getting stronger she shouldn't retire.

Serenita
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Maria still had more unforced errors than winners, so she has plenty of room to improve here too. It's just that no one else seems to be playing even at a decent level to trouble her here, so unless she completely implodes (which usually happens when wind is messing up with her serve) this is her tourney to lose. It's also a good slap to the face to those, who are saying that hardcourts are her worst suface nowadays:wavey:

That pesky wind, always causing trouble. :lol:

tejmeglekvár
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:26 PM
good one :cheer: the returns :drool:

madmax
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:26 PM
your usual disclaimer before any loss comes :lol:

anyway...martha played good enough...but sveta had absolutely NOTHING on her shots for the most part :help: shell of her former self sadly

this is not an excuse - this is a pattern of her career lately.
She lost her match against Li mainly because wind screwed up her serve and the same happened last week against Voskoboeva. It's not a coincidence that she plays her worst matches in windy conditions

scandic78
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Maria ;)

Sexlana has had her day :explode:

Siderophyre
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Rusty? Muda fucka, are you serious? Did you see those fucking returns? :lol:

I can't believe some posters here lmao, Maria played amazing.

THIS! What are you lot on about? She played a great match - probably her best match in quite some time. A pleasure to watch. Sveta wasn't even that bad herself, Maria was just at a totally different level. And this is coming from a total non-fan of Maria.

goldenlox
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM
With Kim injured, Caro, Petra, Na losing almost every match, Maria is very much in the race for #1

cn ireland
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Congrats Maria:bounce:

Kitten63
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Good match for Masha :yeah:

rucolo
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Nice win, Maria! :banana:

She leads Head To Head now 6-4 :drool: Now QF vs Stosur, Maria`s bitch :hehehe:

Cincy courts suit Maria the best of all hardcourts out there at the moment IMO.

Very true ;)

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Masha :yeah: Now pleeeease keep up this form into the USO ;):bounce:

vozas
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Maria was awesome. A couple of crappy service games with some dumb errors off the ground but other than that she was awesome and knew exactly what to do against Sveta.

RenaSlam.
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Never in doubt. Hope she takes advantage of Serena's withdrawal and wins the whole thing. Samantha will not be a hurdle either.

Sam has a better serve than Maria, she better hope Sam's serve is off if she has any chance. Even if she does do well with the kick serve.

Sombrerero loco
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:59 PM
expected :o

Ciarán
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Sam has a better serve than Maria, she better hope Sam's serve is off if she has any chance. Even if she does do well with the kick serve.

Did you watch today? Serve after serve fucking mutilated. If you knew anything about tennis, you'd know one of Maria's biggest weapons is and always has been her returns. If the Maria we seen today shows up and returns like she did today and attacks Sam's non-existent backhand, Stosur will be torn to shreds. It's a big if though, considering Maria lost to Voskoboeva last week :lol: And for arguments sake, Maria's groundstrokes are better than Sam's, so we'll see :) Spineless pussy Sam will probably show up and bow down when she see's Maria's name though lmao

gc-spurs
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Maria eats those serve. She has more than a chance if Sam's serve is on. Maria owned her on her best surface. Plus Sam will turn to jelly at the thought of losing 9 in a row.

SoClose
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Win the title Maria :D

gc-spurs
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Did you watch today? Serve after serve fucking mutilated. If you knew anything about tennis, you'd know one of Maria's biggest weapons is and always has been her returns. If the Maria we seen today shows up and returns like she did today and attacks Sam's non-existent backhand, Stosur will be torn to shreds. It's a big if though, considering Maria lost to Voskoboeva last week :lol: And for arguments sake, Maria's groundstrokes are better than Sam's, so we'll see :) Spineless pussy Sam will probably show up and bow down when she see's Maria's name though lmao

Exactly. I rate Stosur, although when the going gets tough....

Craig.
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:27 PM
What does Maria need to do to get some credit around here? :o Jesus :lol:

Win the title girl :yeah:

Andy.
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Thats the form we have been waiting for!!! Well played Masha. Hopefully she can keep this up and win the title.

18majors
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Maria hits so ball so cleanly and fiercely, it's scary.

jacobruiz
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Maria played well, moved better than usual, and hit some great returns. But she was playing Sveta and Sveta was playing like crap.
Maria needs to play well against tougher opponents thereby gaining the confidence to beat the best like she used to.

(Well, duh! Yeah, I know.)

Effy
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:00 AM
keep going Masha :D those returns :drool:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Seriously, WTF has happened to Sveta's serve? Loopy serve that is into Maria's hitting zone on the 1st & 2nd serve :tape: Just horrible. It's amazing to see how bad she has become. Don't even get me started on her weak groundstrokes. :tape:

Perfect match for Pova to warm up for her "b*tch" in the next round.

claypova
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:50 AM
yay :cheer:

dsanders06
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I think she just has no confidence. She was doing her desperate grunt or yell and the ball was just being dumped into the net or going beyond the baseline. In the last few games, she was too careful and hitting the ball down the middle of the court and was still making mistakes.

Tbh I think it's more that she doesn't care enough. When she puts her mind to it, she has the confidence to go on a great run. I think she's going to just be another Mary Pierce - she'll probably occasionally have a random run to Slam finals every now and then out of nowhere.

And LOL at people trying to minimise credit for by Maria by acting like Kuznetsova's serve is some puffball that's easy to handle. Her serve may be a shadow of what it once was, but it's still far better than the average that you get on the WTA, and it's especially potent on these lightning-quick courts ... yet Maria was teeing off on serve after serve. Definitely the second-best returner right now, after Azarenka.

18majors
Aug 19th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Tbh I think it's more that she doesn't care enough. When she puts her mind to it, she has the confidence to go on a great run. I think she's going to just be another Mary Pierce - she'll probably occasionally have a random run to Slam finals every now and then out of nowhere.

And LOL at people trying to minimise credit for by Maria by acting like Kuznetsova's serve is some puffball that's easy to handle. Her serve may be a shadow of what it once was, but it's still far better than the average that you get on the WTA, and it's especially potent on these lightning-quick courts ... yet Maria was teeing off on serve after serve. Definitely the second-best returner right now, after Azarenka.

I believe Maria is No. 1 in WTA in service break percentage, Vika isn't in top 3.

madmax
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I believe Maria is No. 1 in WTA in service break percentage, Vika isn't in top 3.

yup, at this point Maria is breaking her opponents even more frequently than Vika, especially going after their 2nd serve. It's amazing how much she improved this aspect of her game - I've never before seen her annihilating opponents serve so ruthlessly and methodically, she's like a robot out there:lol:

Rocketta
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM
man I wish someone had told me Sveta had lost her damn mind and tennis ability somewhere I wouldn't have wasted my time watching the match. :help:

DragonFlame
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:04 AM
That's rather comfortable! Goes to show how sveta has regressed. :(

gc-spurs
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:07 AM
yup, at this point Maria is breaking her opponents even more frequently than Vika, especially going after their 2nd serve. It's amazing how much she improved this aspect of her game - I've never before seen her annihilating opponents serve so ruthlessly and methodically, she's like a robot out there:lol:

She's always a robot. She has a metal heart.

Break My Rapture
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:43 AM

No it's not. :lol: She really does puffball her serves in most of the time nowadays.

Vikapower
Aug 19th, 2011, 02:19 AM

Yes but she has more matches (41), AMG is second with 19 matches - but yes she's good at converting breaks. Vika is 9th on 1st. serve % won 42.4 and 4th on 2nd. serve, Maria is second and first in the same order.

Tezuka.
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Svetlana "Can't remember how to play tennis" Kuznetsova. :sad:

Belmont Lad
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Well done Masha :hearts: Now take care of Stosur tomorrow! :yeah:

Stonerpova
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Return was hella good today and her serve was definitely an improvement over Toronto (this is the first of Maria's matches I've seen here). All in all a solid win. Make it 8-0 vs. Stosur :drool:

Maria rocks
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Maria was much much better in this match. I didn't think Svetlana played badly it was more of a case of Maria not really letting her have any say in the match. WELL DONE MARIA NOW GO ON AND WIN THIS TITLE:bounce::bounce: XX

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Nice...very lopsided! And next the perfect opponent for Masha. :bounce:

Daan
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Maria + Cincy courts = True love.

jacobruiz
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Return was hella good today and her serve was definitely an improvement over Toronto (this is the first of Maria's matches I've seen here). All in all a solid win. Make it 8-0 vs. Stosur :drool:

If Maria beats her today it will be 9-0. ;)

Ballbasher
Aug 20th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Maria. :yeah: :inlove: :D She plays really well right now. :)
Sveta :o :hug: I really hope she can bounce back! :unsure: