PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay's Real Problem

TSequoia01
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:57 PM
As I have said in a previous post, Lindsay appears to have a stamina problem. But could it be she just plays a low energy game? I mean when I watch her play, she is a first strike artist. Huge serves and huge returns with an occaisonal rally, is what her game is all about. She usually does not extend herself chasing balls, in fact many go whizzing by. I always assumed a lack of speed and quickness. But was this an effort to conserve energy? Maybe a bit of both. But in that first set, Lindsay moved as well as I have ever seen her. But as the match got deep in the second set, the chasing of balls got sparse. Serves went to whizzing by until it became an all or nothing exercise. One hit replys became the norm, either in or out. In addition tying her shoes suddenly became a priority, almost every game. She was slowing up play, checking tennis balls and any other diversion to get rest. As the players evolve, Lindsay can no longer just dominate them with one or two shots. The points, games, sets, and matches will be extended. Her low energy game may not get her by the elite players in the top 15.

:cool:

Chriskip
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Well said.

Plus she needs to learn not to let her emotions hang on her sleeves so much. I

Chriskip
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Well said.

Plus she needs to learn not to let her emotions hang on her sleeves so much. I am sure in the early parts of the match Monica was feeling down and out, but she never showed it. From experience I know that if you let the competition (in any aspect of life) think you are down, then you might as well just stop playing, working etc., because they are going to do their best to take advantage of your negativity.
Lindsay keeps saying how optimistic she is and how happy she is with her game after her injury.......maybe thats where she needs to start. Its been a while now. Its time to expect more than just 2 or 3 wins in a row. If she really was optimistic and felt she was good enough, she would start setting higher goals. Thats why you set them in the first place......to achieve them. Once you have done that then you should move on to higher goals and challenges.
Mentally Lindsay is not there, maybe never has, but she was able to use her big serve against opponents who felt intimidated. The players of today, no matter how young they are, are not fearful of most of the top players. In fact most of them play their best games against them. And on top of that they are fit and chase down every ball. Lindsay was never good at that, so its impossible to expect that some weight loss is going to help her. She needs a mental make-over and some physical fitness if she wishes to look and play anything better than clumsy when she takes the courts.

TSequoia01
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:20 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The players of today, no matter how young they are, are not fearful of most of the top players. In fact most of them play their best games against them. And on top of that they are fit and chase down every ball. Lindsay was never good at that, so its impossible to expect that some weight loss is going to help her. She needs a mental make-over and some physical fitness if she wishes to look and play anything better than clumsy when she takes the courts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We could be witnessing a serious issue that Lindsay will have to come to grips with. Plus word gets out very quickly. Many players donot have the ability to deal with Lindsay inspite of this stamina knowlege. But many do and now will seek to really work Lindsay. :cool:

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:07 PM
I think that women's tennis has just gone to another level recently. Its not enough to have power, you have to have SPEED, and FITNESS and FINESSE and good coaching, and smart scheduling and be lucky enough to avoid injuries and be AGGRESSIVE and MOTIVATED, never mind having a big FIRST and SECOND serve and being strong on both sides plus having a net game. There are many players that have the pieces of this package - Lindsay has a great serve, great groundstrokes but is not the best on-court mover, plus sometimes her attitude does her in. Its just hard to get all the pieces together.
I think Serena is great, but I'm sure even for her one of the pieces will eventually fall off the table, like she'll eventually get slower and she might lose some motivation. But I really think the women's game has just become a place where you have to have multiple weapons to succeed.