PDA

View Full Version : Venus turns down New Haven wild card

BluSthil
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM
How Venus expects to play any kind of tennis at the US Open is puzzling. And the saga continues...

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:17 PM
when's the last time she played new haven? why would she start now when she's supposedly ever so injury prone?? you ppl amaze me

MLF
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I guess at this stage of her career she knows what's best for her body/health. It's a pity she wasn't a bit more open to play Serena-less doubles, a doubles appearence here could have shed a few cobwebs if she's physically able to do it.

Banditoo
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Venus well be in AA Kid's day

BluSthil
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM
BuTtErFrEnA,

When was the last time Venus Played ? I guess it's silly to think she might need some tournament exposure before the Open !

debby
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I totally agree with BluSthil, unless Venus is still injured. So then Venus should heal up for the US Open. But she will be rusty as hell...

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM
BuTtErFrEnA,

When was the last time Venus Played ? I guess it's silly to think she might need some tournament exposure before the Open !

she didn't play between wimbledon and uso last year either and made sfs...after all these years, how many ppl are gonna be experts on what she should do with herself and how much she plays?? and no, if she loses 1st rd it would have nothing to do with lack of match play so don't pat yourself on the back...vinas can throw in shite performances, like any other player, with loads of match play...so just get over it

Sombrerero loco
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:23 PM
nice.now take the title woz!!

tae04
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Venus will be out early. The years she won the USO, didn't she play New Haven beforehand?

Dodoboy.
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Record safe :bounce:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Even she knows that she blew her last chance of winning a Slam at Wimbledon this year, so she doesn't see the point in preparing properly for Slams anymore.

tennnisfannn
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:48 PM
last eyar she played nothing between wimby and the uSo and still managed to tough fight against eventual champion Kim. Not that I expect much from her. I was happy to see her in wimby and the week before that for I feared she had played her last match in Australia.
as a huge fan for many many years, I will enjoy if and when she plays again!

serenaforever
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:57 PM
:sad:

Oh well. Good luck at the Open, Venus. Kick some ass and shut these tricks up.

Vika & Fish
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:00 PM
thats a shame. the very same happened to me when i was a contestant on 'Deal Or No Deal'. the banker offered me the wildcard, i turned it down and guess what!!!??? oh yeah, a holiday for 4 to Mauritius

VeeJJ
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
she played eastbourne once before this year like 12 years ago because she needed match play. Now she needs match play. She she should play New Haven. BUt she won't cause well, thats what she doesn't do.

The Witch-king
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Even she knows that she blew her last chance of winning a Slam at Wimbledon this year, so she doesn't see the point in preparing properly for Slams anymore.

Every year she's blowing her last chance at winning a slam :lol:.

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Every year she's blowing her last chance at winning a slam :lol:.

Except I've never said it was her last chance before. She knew that it was do or die time at Wimbledon this year - she'd probably been preparing for it for months, and she also knew there wasn't any guarantee that she'd ever be physically fit enough to even play it again. That's why she was visibly more intense than ever before in her matches there (particularly in the Date Krumm match). But her mental strength didn't hold up at crunch time, just like usual in the last two years - and that's probably why she's been too crushed to even play a tournament since then.

spiceboy
Aug 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/ticker.aspx?articleid=13743&zoneid=6

Venus turns down New Haven wild card

After withdrawing from Toronto and Cincinnati with a viral illness, Venus Williams (http://www.tennis.com/players/player_info.aspx?player_name=Venus+Williams) has turned down a wild card into the tournament in New Haven, which begins on Sunday, TENNIS.com has learned.

The 31-year-old Williams has only played five tournaments in the past 13 months due to a variety of injuries to her knee, hip and abdomen. She just returned to play after five months off at Eastbourne and Wimbledon, where she fell in the fourth round. She hasn't played since then. Former No. 1 Jelena Jankovic (http://www.tennis.com/players/player_info.aspx?player_name=Jelena+Jankovic) did accept a wild card into New Haven, which also features world No. 1 and defending champion Caroline Wozniacki (http://www.tennis.com/players/player_info.aspx?player_name=Caroline+Wozniacki).

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 18th, 2011, 04:59 PM
why is this news? same ole, same ole....

starin
Aug 18th, 2011, 04:59 PM

this year's wimbledon? did you see how out of shape she was at Wimbledon this year?
her last best chance was USO'10 where she played the worst tb ever

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM
this year's wimbledon? did you see how out of shape she was at Wimbledon this year?

Actually, her game looked pretty sharp in all her grasscourt matches apart from the Pironkova one. It was obvious she'd been fit and practising fully for a couple of months... I suspect she would've been able to play RG, but decided not to so that she could practice an all-out aggressive game in preparation for one last tilt at Wimbledon.

She was never winning that US Open match, because once Kim got her forehand clicking in the second set, she was just a level above anything Venus can produce off of grass. While Venus made Kim's job easier by playing sO awfully in that second-set tiebreak, it's often forgotten that Kim herself was leading 5-2 in that set before getting tight herself.

hotscott123
Aug 18th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Well done V who needs any matches before a slam :wavey:

DefyingGravity
Aug 18th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Venus

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4140/nonok.gif

Mistress of Evil
Aug 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
The Almighty New Haven record is safe :cheer:
Vee probably got scared when saw her slayer aka Pironkova on the EL :awww:

jrollaneres25
Aug 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Venus will be out early. The years she won the USO, didn't she play New Haven beforehand?

How Dare you!!

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/no_eight/gifs/28khehh.gif

jrollaneres25
Aug 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Actually, her game looked pretty sharp in all her grasscourt matches apart from the Pironkova one. It was obvious she'd been fit and practising fully for a couple of months... I suspect she would've been able to play RG, but decided not to so that she could practice an all-out aggressive game in preparation for one last tilt at Wimbledon.

She was never winning that US Open match, because once Kim got her forehand clicking in the second set, she was just a level above anything Venus can produce off of grass. While Venus made Kim's job easier by playing sO awfully in that second-set tiebreak, it's often forgotten that Kim herself was leading 5-2 in that set before getting tight herself.

Which let's YOU dsanders know that Venus could have STILL won that match even though you claim that the match was over as soon as Kim's forehand was clicking.

Obviously she clicked it off for her to almost have lost the match.
So nothing is guaranteed oppose to what you might think or say:o

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM

I still cringe when I think about this. the one time I was rooting for her, too. :o

dynamoRockstarr
Aug 18th, 2011, 07:16 PM

how do you know this??

marineblue
Aug 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM
How Venus expects to play any kind of tennis at the US Open is puzzling. And the saga continues...

That is not a saga but a closed chapter.:p

volta
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM
how do you know this??

Dionne Warwick reopened her Psychic Friends Network line apparently

The Witch-king
Aug 18th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I still cringe when I think about this. the one time I was rooting for her, too. :o

The one time? I have receipts of you saying you loved her in 2009 (or something to that effect)

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:34 PM
She's just going to do Venus.

Serenita
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:44 PM
how do you know this??

Same old with that dsanders character ... :lol:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ky1bf81QrMw/TOAfiP6s9lI/AAAAAAAAA2w/UsjrRrW3Mh4/s320/crystal_ball.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ky1bf81QrMw/TOAfiP6s9lI/AAAAAAAAA2w/UsjrRrW3Mh4/s1600/crystal_ball.jpg)

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM

She didn't prepare for the US Open last year either and got to the SFs.

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:54 PM
The one time? I have receipts of you saying you loved her in 2009 (or something to that effect)

okay let me rephrase, the one time since 2005 that I with all my heart rooted for her. ;)

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Dionne Warwick reopened her Psychic Friends Network line apparently

Same old with that dsanders character ... :lol:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ky1bf81QrMw/TOAfiP6s9lI/AAAAAAAAA2w/UsjrRrW3Mh4/s320/crystal_ball.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ky1bf81QrMw/TOAfiP6s9lI/AAAAAAAAA2w/UsjrRrW3Mh4/s1600/crystal_ball.jpg)

ORRRR, maybe I explained why I thought it if you guys care to read beyond the first sentence. :)

She didn't prepare for the US Open last year either and got to the SFs.

When she was a year younger, and when she'd got about 40 matches in earlier in the season, as opposed to less than 10 this year.

HippityHop
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Well at this point, for me, Venus is in the category of whatever she wins from now on is a nice surprise.

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM
ORRRR, maybe I explained why I thought it if you guys care to read beyond the first sentence. :)

When she was a year younger, and when she'd got about 40 matches in earlier in the season, as opposed to less than 10 this year.

I still believe Venus can win a slam, just like you believe Maria can still win a slam. So let's respect and leave it at that.

theFutureisNow
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I still believe Venus can win a slam, just like you believe Maria can still win a slam. So let's respect and leave it at that.

Maria is ranked 2nd this year, Venus 90th.

Maria is 24, Venus 31.

If you really think there is no difference in their situations then I guess there isn't much else to say.

new-york
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM

Oh, that's prolly why she lost.:o

THE PRESSURE. :hysteric:

debopero
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I just hope that she makes the second week...

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:13 PM

Maria is 24, Venus 31.

If you really think there is no difference in their situations then I guess there isn't much else to say.

So you're basically saying Maria has time on her hands? What does that mean if Maria hasn't changed anything in her game since 2008 (the last time she won a slam), and isn't planning on doing so in the near future? The same as Venus.

The first decent player she comes across that puts the slightest bit of pressure on Maria's serve and the DF's come. See her match against Na Li at RG and Kvitova at Wimbledon. And in all fairness, her draws to those opponents weren't exactly hard. Yes I know it's not her fault that all the seeds bombed out, but it is what it is. Her draws became easy.

Realistically, the only way Maria and Venus are going to win slams is if they recieve kind draws. Unless Venus can play strike first tennis consistently.

So there are similarities in their situations. I didn't say that they were exactly the same. But when it comes to slams, which is what the topic was about (before you brought ranking into it), they are quite similar.

debopero
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Oh, that's prolly why she lost.:o

THE PRESSURE. :hysteric:

That tiebreak was soooo awful :bigcry: . Clijsters was playing like shit; all she had to do was string together a few good points :o .

The Witch-king

Maria is 24, Venus 31.

I'm always amazed at how short Sharapova fans memory span is.

Anyway Veerror, TheFutureisNow has spoken. Adjust your beliefs accordingly.

serenaforever
how do you know this??

:yeah:

Serenita
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:15 PM

:spit:

theFutureisNow
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM

I guaranteed a while ago that Venus would never win another slam.

Looks like most people on this forum are starting to believe this also.

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:19 PM

The only difference is, is the fact Venus is barely playing. So that automatically means she's crap. Let's not wait for her to come back and play consistently to make a judgement.

Who cares if Maria's rank is 2 and Venus is in the 90th (I'm assuming he/shes talking about race ranking), when Venus has played all but three tournaments this year.

But what I do know is that the courts at the US Open are fast paced and it's what Venus likes. She likes playing there. Lets hope she can rid the rust.

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:21 PM

Strength in numbers? And accordingly, THAT's when you come out harping on about "Venus won't win a slam, Venus won't win a slam". Don't you think that's a bit weak?

Let me ask you, what makes you so sure that Maria's going to win one again then? As I recall, Venus won one more recently than her. If you want to talk about facts. And facts don't lie.

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:24 PM

Sadly I agree with him but this line is funny as hell. :happy: :lol: :lol: :hysteric:

Sorry, The Kang. :hug:

edificio
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:25 PM

:cuckoo:

Your guarantees count for nothing.

Fighterpova
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:26 PM
9th withdrawal of the year :help:

theFutureisNow
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Strength in numbers? And accordingly, THAT's when you come out harping on about "Venus won't win a slam, Venus won't win a slam". Don't you think that's a bit weak?

Let me ask you, what makes you so sure that Maria's going to win one again then? As I recall, Venus won one more recently than her.

It's less weak since I was one of the first ones to predict it. Others are just now catching up to what I saw in advance.

There are no guarantees, but Maria has a LOT better chance than Venus.

The future generation is pathetic; Serena and Kim will probably retire or decline soon; Kvitova is the only young player she might have any real trouble beating.

Unless Maria retires early, she will have years to potentially win another slam. While she might retire young, I get the feeling that she is determined to win at least one more slam before she quits.

Fighterpova
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:28 PM

Omg :spit::help:

serenaforever
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:31 PM
It's less weak since I was one of the first ones to predict it. Others are just now catching up to what I saw in advance.

The future generation is pathetic; Serena and Kim will probably retire or decline soon; Kvitova is the only young player she might have any real trouble beating.

Unless Maria retires early, she will have years to potentially win another slam. While she might retire young, I get the feeling that she is determined to win at least one more slam before she quits.

Oh. You're still here? :yawn: I must say, Petra was stunning this afternoon.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM
9th withdrawal of the year :help:

it can't be a withdrawal if she wasn't going to play it :weirdo:

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Oh. You're still here? :yawn: I must say, Petra was stunning this afternoon.

no great predictions for her :lol:

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:34 PM

My question was, what makes you say that?

You're right, there is no guarantee. So how can you guarantee that Venus won't win one? :lol:

The Witch-king
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Sadly I agree with him but this line is funny as hell. :happy: :lol: :lol: :hysteric:

Sorry, The Kang. :hug:

Oh no he's probably right. Sharapova and Venus are certainly not at the same stage in their careers. I just think it's funny how the little recent success Maria has had some how erases the fact that she's won zero slams in the last three years in their minds. You'd think all the sucking she's been doing, the double-faults, the KDK/Oudin/Voekobova losses would keep them humble but no...:lol:

P.S. I miss Spiffy too. My User CP is so lonely without him.

theFutureisNow
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:42 PM
My question was, what makes you say that?

You're right, there is no guarantee. So how can you guarantee that Venus won't win one? :lol:

Because if I make a guarantee then I get to come back later and remind you how delusional you guys were.

Strictly speaking, her odds are higher than 0.00%. If I had to guess an approximate number, I'd say her chances are about 2%, which is enough to move her into guarantee territory.

theFutureisNow
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Oh no he's probably right. Sharapova and Venus are certainly not at the same stage in their careers. I just think it's funny how the little recent success Maria has had some how erases the fact that she's won zero slams in the last three years in their minds. You'd think all the sucking she's been doing, the double-faults, the KDK/Oudin/Voekobova losses would keep them humble but no...:lol:

It's really funny that you guys pretend that every fake injury is real that Venus and Serena use as weak excuses to withdraw.

Then, when Maria had what could have been a career ending injury, you act as if it never happened.

Maria still has never recovered her serve- even now she is winning despite it. But since she has improved from 18th to 2nd, Maria is now good enough that she has a fighting chance to win a slam despite her shoulder never being the same again.

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:16 PM
The only difference is, is the fact Venus is barely playing. So that automatically means she's crap. Let's not wait for her to come back and play consistently to make a judgement.

Who cares if Maria's rank is 2 and Venus is in the 90th (I'm assuming he/shes talking about race ranking), when Venus has played all but three tournaments this year.

But what I do know is that the courts at the US Open are fast paced and it's what Venus likes. She likes playing there. Lets hope she can rid the rust.

As biased as you think I am, Venus was actually my pre-tournament pick to win at Wimbledon (beating Maria in the final :D ). I thought her game looked fairly sharp in Eastbourne, and I stand by that she was probably fit and training for atleast a couple of months before that with a view to challenging at Wimbledon. But that defeat to Pironkova just confirmed that she's lost it mentally. She looked scared shitless in that match - I remember one game at about 3-3 or something in the second set, where from deuce she battered two swing volleys WAY beyond the baseline to drop serve. It was reminiscent of her loss to Pironkova the year before, and her losses to Clijsters and Li aswell. The fact is even if Venus is fit enough to ever get her tennis to a Slam-winning standard again (which itself is hugely questionable, given how injury-prone she's been in the last 12 months despite barely playing at all), it's almost guaranteed she'll mentally freeze once the finish line is in sight, like she always has in the past two years. And that's the difference between her and Maria - even when Maria's playing shit, she remains mentally one of the toughest on the WTA, and light-years ahead of Venus in that regard - and that's why most neutral people would take Maria's chances of winning another Slam far sooner than they'd take Venus's chances.

Venus might have one last run to the semis of Wimbledon left in her either next year or the year after, but I'd be absolutely stunned if she ever won it again, much less any other tournament. And her body clearly isn't going to let her ever string together a consistent top 10-level season again.

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:38 PM
As biased as you think I am, Venus was actually my pre-tournament pick to win at Wimbledon (beating Maria in the final :D ). I thought her game looked fairly sharp in Eastbourne, and I stand by that she was probably fit and training for atleast a couple of months before that with a view to challenging at Wimbledon. But that defeat to Pironkova just confirmed that she's lost it mentally. She looked scared shitless in that match - I remember one game at about 3-3 or something in the second set, where from deuce she battered two swing volleys WAY beyond the baseline to drop serve. It was reminiscent of her loss to Pironkova the year before, and her losses to Clijsters and Li aswell. The fact is even if Venus is fit enough to ever get her tennis to a Slam-winning standard again (which itself is hugely questionable, given how injury-prone she's been in the last 12 months despite barely playing at all), it's almost guaranteed she'll mentally freeze once the finish line is in sight, like she always has in the past two years. And that's the difference between her and Maria - even when Maria's playing shit, she remains mentally one of the toughest on the WTA, and light-years ahead of Venus in that regard - and that's why most neutral people would take Maria's chances of winning another Slam far sooner than they'd take Venus's chances.

Venus might have one last run to the semis of Wimbledon left in her either next year or the year after, but I'd be absolutely stunned if she ever won it again, much less any other tournament. And her body clearly isn't going to let her ever string together a consistent top 10-level season again.

Mental toughness means nothing especially when you have no confidence in your serve.:shrug: Maria's serve just lets her down in key moments, specifically in her matches against Na Li and Petra Kvitova at RG and Wimbledon respectively.

The Na Li match is a classic example. She fought back to 4*-5 in the first set but then her lack of confidence in her serve caused her to hit a couple of DFs to gift wrap the set. Also, the last point of the match, Maria hit a DF and it was GSM Li. Na Li said at the end "I was hoping she'd hit a Df"- so she was obviously nervous. Those points are when mental toughness counts for something. When the game starts to get tight.

And also, against Kvitova, when 3*-4 down Maria hit a couple of dfs to gift the break and it was Kvitova serving for the set.

There are alot of players out there that have no issue taking on Maria's serv considering how big players can hit these days. And these players are making the latter stages of slams.

Venus may not be one of the strongest mentally, but she mentally collapses against players like Na Li, Kim Clijsters and Pironkova. That doesn't mean she'll freeze against everyone. I don't believe that for one second, having been a Venus fan for so long. So call me deluded.

But there's a bigger chance that someones going to threaten Maria's serve (if especially as she gets deeper into the draw), then Venus losing again to the aforementioned players. Which is why I said, if either is going to win a slam again, then it'll have to be a good draw. And which is why I think Venus has a better chance.

But we shall see. If Maria can win another slam, then really, good for her. I do wish her well at the US Open.

winone23
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Because if I make a guarantee then I get to come back later and remind you how delusional you guys were.

Strictly speaking, her odds are higher than 0.00%. If I had to guess an approximate number, I'd say her chances are about 2%, which is enough to move her into guarantee territory.

Say what you want about Venus, she's still better than everyone in your sig. Venus will win another slam!

winone23
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:44 AM
It's really funny that you guys pretend that every fake injury is real that Venus and Serena use as weak excuses to withdraw.

Then, when Maria had what could have been a career ending injury, you act as if it never happened.

Maria still has never recovered her serve- even now she is winning despite it. But since she has improved from 18th to 2nd, Maria is now good enough that she has a fighting chance to win a slam despite her shoulder never being the same again.

Venus and Serena had many potentially career ending injuries and they still came back to win slams. Let's see if Maria can do the same.

Caesar1844
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Of course she turned it down. Kim Kardashian's wedding is this weekend.

moby
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Venus is basically only playing Slam events these days, and I expect Serena to follow it those footsteps in a couple of years. She broke precedent this year by playing Eastbourne because she really really wanted to do well at Wimbledon, but that's the only non-slam event she's played since the French last year. Even with all the injuries and illnesses, you'd think she'd be able to play a few more, but she seems to have decided against that.

Of course she turned it down. Kim Kardashian's wedding is this weekend.I don't think Venus is friends with that classless attention whore. She doesn't surround herself with vapid socialities and B-list celebs - that would be Serena.

espntennis
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM
She's coming off a cycle.

iGOAT
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Venus is really delusional thinking she's still a top player at this point. Before people attack me, I LIKE HER, and she obviously still has the talent to win a slam but no one can go in with this little preparation, especially at her age, and she has not been anywhere near the top in over a year, so she needs to realize this and play her way back up there, if it is to happen. It doesn't help that the media keeps putting her in the same sentence as her sister as if they are in the same place right now.

iGOAT
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Of course she turned it down. Kim Kardashian's wedding is this weekend.
Umm I doubt Vee even has the remotest desire to go to that :tape:. And New Haven starts next week :help:.

winone23
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Venus is really delusional thinking she's still a top player at this point. Before people attack me, I LIKE HER, and she obviously still has the talent to win a slam but no one can go in with this little preparation, especially at her age, and she has not been anywhere near the top in over a year, so she needs to realize this and play her way back up there, if it is to happen. It doesn't help that the media keeps putting her in the same sentence as her sister as if they are in the same place right now.

Venus had some bad luck and set backs this year. Venus is not delusional to think that she is a top player because she still is a top player no matter what her current ranking is. Also, Venus planned to play some events this summer, but illness prevented her from playing.

bandabou
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:25 AM

I sure hope you're NOT saying that Serena's foot injury and long problems were 'fake' injuries! :fiery:

And Maria being second is great, kudos for her. :yeah:

doomsday
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Mental toughness means nothing especially when you have no confidence in your serve.:shrug: Maria's serve just lets her down in key moments, specifically in her matches against Na Li and Petra Kvitova at RG and Wimbledon respectively.

The Na Li match is a classic example. She fought back to 4*-5 in the first set but then her lack of confidence in her serve caused her to hit a couple of DFs to gift wrap the set. Also, the last point of the match, Maria hit a DF and it was GSM Li. Na Li said at the end "I was hoping she'd hit a Df"- so she was obviously nervous. Those points are when mental toughness counts for something. When the game starts to get tight.

And also, against Kvitova, when 3*-4 down Maria hit a couple of dfs to gift the break and it was Kvitova serving for the set.

There are alot of players out there that have no issue taking on Maria's serv considering how big players can hit these days. And these players are making the latter stages of slams.

Venus may not be one of the strongest mentally, but she mentally collapses against players like Na Li, Kim Clijsters and Pironkova. That doesn't mean she'll freeze against everyone. I don't believe that for one second, having been a Venus fan for so long. So call me deluded.

But there's a bigger chance that someones going to threaten Maria's serve (if especially as she gets deeper into the draw), then Venus losing again to the aforementioned players. Which is why I said, if either is going to win a slam again, then it'll have to be a good draw. And which is why I think Venus has a better chance.

But we shall see. If Maria can win another slam, then really, good for her. I do wish her well at the US Open.

You guys are so overreacting, Maria wasn't serving and playing particulary well in both of these matches so she lost end of story. She is getting better at every major and is learning from her defeats hopefully her serve will finally be more solid and more consistent but I refuse to believe that Maria's serve is gonna be a mess at every major but clearly that's what you guys are hoping:help:

KBlade
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I really wish Venus would just actually give her self a chance to win a slam. In all the slams that she has won, she hasn't always had brilliant preparation, but at least she's had some. I still think that if she can string it together, she can win one more, however, she has probably has only 3 more realistic chances. This year and next year's US Open, and 2012 Wimbledon.

I would be absolutely thrilled beyond words if Venus could some how win this, but she's going to need to show some of the grit of old. She needs to stop thinking, and just hit the ball and play her game, like she used to. I think she can make a quarter-final here. Anything beyond that would be a great achievement given the circumstances.

VishaalMaria
Aug 19th, 2011, 11:11 AM
You guys are so overreacting, Maria wasn't serving and playing particulary well in both of these matches so she lost end of story. She is getting better at every major and is learning from her defeats hopefully her serve will finally be more solid and more consistent but I refuse to believe that Maria's serve is gonna be a mess at every major but clearly that's what you guys are hoping:help:

Actually I'm just being honest. I don't want to see Maria fail, rather I want to see Venus succeed because I don't actively hate or dislike any player. My sly digs at Maria was for Dsanders' benefit, just as he made sly digs at Venus for mine. But that's sorted now.

Is it any coincidence that Maria hit those dfs at key moments? As I said before, facts don't lie so how is she learning from her defeats when she's been hitting dfs in key moments since 2009? Yet you want to bury your head in the sand and say "She's getting better" and that "hopefully her serve will get better". It hasn't improved since 2009 because she hasn't adapted. She needs to develop a spin serve instead of going for her serve and giving away games, sets, momentum. And hitting and hoping that the serve will go in and that she'll get an ace or unreturnable is just stubborn on her part.

Like I said, if she wants to continue like that then the only way IMHO she'll win another slam is if she gets a kind draw a bit like Wimbledon this year.

The Witch-king
Aug 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Umm I doubt Vee even has the remotest desire to go to that :tape:. And New Haven starts next week :help:.

I'm impressed at your insight into Venus's mind :worship:. You seem to know exactly what she thinks and desires. Tell us, what is she thinking right now, please...! :eek:

In The Zone
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM
People need to stop comparing Venus' USO last year to this year.

Last year, she was #3 in the world and knew she'd have a good draw to get herself into play. Plus, she was in EXCELLENT form in the beginning of 2010. She got herself back to #2.

This year? She has only played 10 matches, 3 tournaments, over an 8 month span. She should have played New Haven. She will likely fight through to the second week but she will not be a contender without an easy draw and a spark. :( And Vee is my fav.

The Witch-king
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM
What does the beginning of 2010 have to do with the US Open, though?

dsanders06
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
What does the beginning of 2010 have to do with the US Open, though?

Match fitness.

Simon Cowell
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I think that by ignoring the tour you're ignoring the audience who put you there. :rolleyes:

winone23
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I think that by ignoring the tour you're ignoring the audience who put you there. :rolleyes:

what? :lol:

Venus is HUMAN, health issues came into play. Venus is not ignoring the tour. Do you really think Venus was ignoring Dubai, Miami, the clay court season, and the summer hard court season? People in the AUDIENCE watched Venus get injured and heard her scream in pain at the Australian open. With that said, the only thing ignoring the tour was Venus' torn psoas muscle.