PDA

View Full Version : Will Peng Shuai break the top 10?

Potato
Aug 17th, 2011, 11:52 PM
This year, we've seen Petkovic, Bartoli, and Sharapova break back into the top 10 with the falling out of Serena, Venus, JJ, and Dementieva. Peng has little to defend for the rest of the year, and as we've seen so far, she has been making it deep into almost every single tournament she has entered this year.

This is last years results for Peng that she has to defend:
3R US Open
2R Tokyo (P5)
2r Beijing (PM)
W Taipei (100K)

I'm not good with ranking points, so mathematically is it very possible for Peng to break the top 10 this year? Or does she already have too many tournaments under her belt?

VeeJJ
Aug 17th, 2011, 11:53 PM
It's very possible. Didn't know she had a 3R at USO she has to at least defend that to have a very good shot. But I could see it happening.

SwingVolley93
Aug 17th, 2011, 11:56 PM
No, Radwanska has literally NO points to defend the rest of the year so she will sky rocket into the top 10. :oh:

Potato
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:00 AM
No, Radwanska has literally NO points to defend the rest of the year so she will sky rocket into the top 10. :oh:

She has a 3R at US Open too (where Peng beat her last year :oh:) and a QF in Tokyo. I think the points are pretty similar. Radwanska has been playing well though, I can see her breaking into the top 10 too. That number 10 spot I can imagine will be juggled around.

Alwaysfan
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:03 AM
u dream, baby..
NEVER another chinese player will be in the TOP 10

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I think so. I actually thought she'd make it by the US Open, but injury interrupted that unfortunately.

With that said, the top 9 are pulling quite a way ahead of the pack, so there's probably only one spot really up for grabs for the end of the year... I think Peng will overtake Petkovic and Stosur, but Radwanska might keep ahead.

18majors
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM
No.

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I have to say, it is very unlikely now. The problem is that Shuai has been remarkably consistent this year and gained good points from many different events. And yet...Shuai hasn't had any events this year where she has won any really big points. If you look at the top 10 all of them, except Stosur have had events where they have gained at least 900 ranking points. Stosur hasn't gained quite as much as that from any event but even so, her best 2 events this year both earned her 620 ranking points. Shuai, in contrast, hasn't had a single event this year which has earned her more than 320 points. That makes it very tough to reach a total of points which will get her a top 10 ranking.

She can still do it, but I would say it will require something pretty outstanding before the end of the year, probably either a US Open semi or a victory at Tokyo or Beijing. So not impossible, but unlikely. She has done magnificently to reach the top 15 however and it is very deserved.

Laura_VeeFan
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:20 AM
She doesn't even have a WTA title :lol:

Not impossible though

Italian power
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:32 AM
maybe, but she has to win more match in 2 for being not very tired :unsure:

Ayumilover.
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:43 AM
YES :cheer:

theFutureisNow
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I have to say, it is very unlikely now. The problem is that Shuai has been remarkably consistent this year and gained good points from many different events. And yet...Shuai hasn't had any events this year where she has won any really big points. If you look at the top 10 all of them, except Stosur have had events where they have gained at least 900 ranking points. Stosur hasn't gained quite as much as that from any event but even so, her best 2 events this year both earned her 620 ranking points. Shuai, in contrast, hasn't had a single event this year which has earned her more than 320 points. That makes it very tough to reach a total of points which will get her a top 10 ranking.

She can still do it, but I would say it will require something pretty outstanding before the end of the year, probably either a US Open semi or a victory at Tokyo or Beijing. So not impossible, but unlikely. She has done magnificently to reach the top 15 however and it is very deserved.

Well, she is only 500 points away from 10th place so it's not exactly unreachable.

Eventually she'll probably have to make the semi's of a big tournament though.

Ellery
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:59 AM

This :tears:

iPatty
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Well, she is only 500 points away from 10th place so it's not exactly unreachable.

This week would be perfect. Peer and then Jankovic/Schiavone, both of whom she has beaten on hard courts already this year. Her scoreline against Errani was promising so hopefully she can deal with Peer and then tough it out against the seeded player she meets in the quarters.

Fighterpova
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Omg I hope so :hearts::cheer:

Spring Pools
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:12 AM
What is her sixteenth best victory atm?

Spring Pools
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:17 AM
This week would be perfect. Peer and then Jankovic/Schiavone, both of whom she has beaten on hard courts already this year. Her scoreline against Errani was promising so hopefully she can deal with Peer and then tough it out against the seeded player she meets in the quarters.

One match at a time. Peer isn't playing as terribly this week, so that could be a challenge. (not as much as an Azarenka, but still a lot.)

JamieMU30
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I think it might be possible. Since Azarenka is out of Cincy, that really opens up the draw for Peng. Shahar Peer is definitely a winnable match and I think her form has been good enough this year to definitely challenge Jankovic and/or Schiavone who haven't had as great of results. If she could make it to the semi-finals here in Cincy, that would really help her out. Would love to see her end an amazing year ranked inside the Top 10.

Peng has almost won as many matches as Wozniacki this year, closing in on 50 soon. Outstanding!

Spring Pools
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I think it might be possible. Since Azarenka is out of Cincy, that really opens up the draw for Peng. Shahar Peer is definitely a winnable match and I think her form has been good enough this year to definitely challenge Jankovic and/or Schiavone who haven't had as great of results. If she could make it to the semi-finals here in Cincy, that would really help her out. Would love to see her end an amazing year ranked inside the Top 10.

Peng has almost won as many matches as Wozniacki this year, closing in on 50 soon. Outstanding!

Peng beat both Jaja and Sexa earlier this year. However, that doesn't mean that it will happen again. Both of those matches were pretty close. However, I'd love to see Peng make it to the semis. And you never know what will happen after that.

madlove
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:21 AM
there's a huge possibility she might. how awesome would it be to have 2 chinese players in the top 10.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:21 AM

she's 1300 behind Stosur
yes 500 in race but ranks makes a diff to seeding spots and thats crucial even in last few weeks

delicatecutter
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Um no. Nor does she deserve to. That bitch couldn't win a title if her life depended on it. (And yes I am still bitter over the Brussels Final.)

cowsonice
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Maybe next year :hug:

Ayumilover.
Aug 18th, 2011, 04:04 AM
there's a huge possibility she might. how awesome would it be to have 2 chinese players in the top 10.

well in a few years, there will be more than a few chinese players in the top 10 :D

longtin23
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, but not this year...

misty1
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
i hope not

Vika & Fish
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM
that will go down in the anals of WTA historys worst ever days

not that i dislike her, because i dont

Shaun:::
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM
this year probably wont

BlueTrees
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I don't think so this year but maybe in the future. She's going to get pretty damn close though

chuvack
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Remember back when Shuai Peng was the new hot rising Asian star, and Na Li was an afterthought?

Sammo
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:51 PM
No please :hysteric: Even Peer would be a better candidate

Steven.
Aug 18th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Peng is horribly overrated on this forum.

Sombrerero loco
Aug 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM
please no...

Miracle Worker
Aug 18th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I hope no.

Mistress of Evil
Aug 18th, 2011, 06:10 PM
It could happen :shrug:

matthias
Aug 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
there will be a fight for the #10 spot between Stosur, Radwanska and Petkovic
if Clijsters will not play more Tennis this year then we will have #9 and #10 to be fight out between this 3 players
i donīt see a chance for Peng to go there in 2011, but maybe in 2012, we will see