PDA

View Full Version : a new favorite needed ?!

rhz
Aug 17th, 2011, 05:58 PM
after henin's retirement (1st and 2nd) :( I have switched to Jankovic for her tennis, as well as her "drama queen" attitude. but she has lost interest in tennis and lost early often lately.
Who else can I root for?
No one is consistant enough to be in the later rounds week in and week out?!?!
Serena and Venus only play whenever they feel like it
Wozniacki?!? It was maybe a choice, but now she's also losing early (and i hardly like her)
Clijsters: Part time tennis player, and when she wants to play she's injured
Azarenka she's probably the most consistant, but she kept retiring, when she can't fight in her matches, or slightly injured
Zvonareva: inconsistant
Li: Only plays well in the GS, keep losing early, in other tournaments
Sharapova: the hunger is not there anymore
Who should i root for. I don't want to give up on JJ. but if she keeps losing early? then I might need to find a substitute favorite. any suggestion? :)

Purple_Rain
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:00 PM
You want a drama queen? Try Lisicki. You may have to weather the storm for a few months while she learns how to keep the ball in play, but she'll be a Top 10 player eventually. And she's only 21 now.

JJ all the way
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Hon, haven't u heard, Ricardo is BACK! Still doesn't mean anything though lol

rhz
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:06 PM
@JJ all the way.. let's see if she could beat Zheng. she doesn't have a good record vs the chinese. but she's 4-1 against Zheng. but it's been 3 years since they faced each other

penkku
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
You only root for successful players :shrug: it's more interesting when living on the edge ;)

Wert.
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:42 PM
You only root for successful players :shrug: it's more interesting when living on the edge ;)

THIS.

Jane Lane
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM

:haha: THIS

Lucemferre
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Djokovic.

Fighterpova
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:45 PM
:weirdo:

Sylvester
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM

It depends. I'm pretty sure I'll die 20 years sooner than expected for being a hardcore fan of both Dementieva and Mauresmo! :bigcry: :lol:

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:57 PM
How do you just 'pick' a favorite player? Isn't it more organic than that if it's genuine to begin with?

matthias
Aug 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM
picking a favorit player? that will not work
you will feel it when someone is around who has Favorit player potential

WhoAmI?
Aug 17th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I see this could have a reality tv potential. You know like Paris Hilton's new BFF.

WTA should maybe consider it instead of the Xperia shots. 100% drama guarantee.

MBM
Aug 17th, 2011, 08:14 PM

Exactly. Look at me supporting the headcase Schiavone and then one day... FRENCH OPEN BABY! Hahaaaaa

laurie
Aug 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Jankovic still has potential to deliver the goods.

tennisbum79
Aug 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Christina McHalle just beat the world #1, I am sure she can use some support.

stevos
Aug 17th, 2011, 09:16 PM
You really have to choose your favorite?
I remember getting really into Women's tennis in 2005 (IMO a perfect year to get into it).
Serena was injured during the spring, and I remember so well Maria's semi against Venus. At that time I was a way bigger Venus fan (my first Wimbledon experience being Venus' beatdown of everyone and GOAT match against Davenport, of course making me expect this EVERY slam :o ), and she was definitely my first favorite. But watching Maria have just as much intensity was a weird turn on/turn off fave wise.
Either way since then I couldn't stop myself from adoring Maria's passion and fury, and her ice-queen persona while on court. I guess I related in some way or something, but yeah, I definitely didn't decide "hmm, I guess I'll be a fan of Maria now".

These days though I find myself rooting for so many players at the same time though. I also feel like I'm becoming a Reetard slowly but surely.
Just watch lots of tennis, see who you gravitate too, who you really find yourself rooting for on those big points, who you get behind. And there you have it.

Boxuan
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Usually people choose their favorite players for other insignificant reasons, such as personality and playing style.:lol:

Steven.
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
clearly you're just a glory hunter so I suggest Serena.

SilverPersian
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM

100% this.

Stosur and Dokic are incosistent, mentally-broken choke queens. But I love them.

Vika & Fish
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:43 AM
i cheer for Vika Azarenka and you should too. also i think she should date Mardy Fish